One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-02 10:10:08

SomeRandomPerson

Tired Of Berries

Everyone just tells me to farm berries and I hate it. It's just such a pain in the ass and people bitch so hard when I don't do it.
They need constant water and soil, Like a baby but actually worse. At least the baby grows up and can take care of themselves.

It just never ends, The minute you water all the yellow bushes people will come and demolish the other half. The berries are used for compost but the compost is used to keep the berry farm alive. Wat.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-02 10:22:24)

#2 2018-09-02 10:38:30

boggers

Re: Tired Of Berries

Farming berries is a job for children, since you don't have much of a hunger bar and you're always close to food and, well, someone has to do it.

Don't farm berries as an adult though. Even if the berry farm is depleted, it's better to get the next lot of kids on it while you do something more productive.

#3 2018-09-02 12:19:37

Anigamer

boggers wrote:

Farming berries is a job for children, since you don't have much of a hunger bar and you're always close to food and, well, someone has to do it.

Don't farm berries as an adult though. Even if the berry farm is depleted, it's better to get the next lot of kids on it while you do something more productive.

Actually this is a terrible idea, let me explain my reasoning though.
First off, the next batch may not know how
Second, if you don’t water them there won’t be food to raise the next batch of children and the civilization could die

"You'll be prying this hat off my cold dead head"
My last words
"I sure as hell will be" My sisters last words to me

#4 2018-09-02 14:08:30

Anshin

Yes, compost needs to be revamped. There needs to be a category of "leftovers" for food, like animal bones or dirty tortillas, that can be used in compost. Wasting an entire bowl of fresh berries and carrot that could be more reasonably used to feed lambs or people, makes no sense. Nobody uses fresh food in compost. This is NOT a call for food decay. Just a more logical use for food leftovers.

#5 2018-09-02 15:53:33

pein

well its not the best food anymore
but try explaining a kid to milk a cow and drink milk when hungry

actually corn would be the best food, since people waste most calories by overeating, so corn has the smallest bites

composting is needed, dont bitch about it, you wouldnt go 30 tiles away to get soil

actually you would need at least half the amount of clay bowls as berry bushes so you can put them in bowls and use for pies, compost and as yum, other half to be picked by others, and just restart the half of it, more charges are better than more bushes

for the same reason more small berry farms are better than one big

one compost is enough for 30 bushes, now if you got 9 of them in a place, thats 3 charges over 24 min
27 bushes got the same output but needs 27 soil at once and once its gone, famine happens, especially people dont know what is used for and they eat from outside in not inside out and filling a bowl is so painful

you can make other food, just make some compost and make corn or beans, wheat, it takes off the load from berry
or potato, its very useful, no one eats berry if there are other portable options

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-09-02 16:01:16

PeaGirl

You could always farm carrots. Issue is that you need tons of baskets and boxes with baskets to keep it organized. Less clicking and more food bars from 5 carrots comparing berries. Downside is that you eventually run out of seeds and you need to have knife in hand in case someone even attempts to try to pick the carrot when they could have a boxload sitting next to them. Berries, no matter how much people hate it, are necessity. If you want to bitch about berries that much, carry soil and buckets closer to the most dying spot and go triggerhappy. Not to mention unlike carrots, berries never decay or begin to seed, so they could stay about for days without dying off. Very useful for dying towns to try to make berry bushes have as many berries as possible, since bushes without berries may eventually turn into kindling material.

So, in long terms, carrot might be good, but baskets decay and carrots may scatter everywhere. Berries are 100% lifesaving.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-09-02 16:04:36)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#7 2018-09-02 16:15:16

Tarr
Banned

Honestly make whatever food you like at the end of the day. Yeah it sucks that someone has to tend to bushes but that's only because people refuse to eat anything other than berries. I ended up returning to one of the villages I was in yesterday and we still had full crocks of sauerkraut.

When people learn that berries are not adult food and that there is plenty of other food options you'll stop needing absurd amount of berry bushes.
If your only goal is to have the greatest amount of food for little effort make buckets and drink milk. However, you'll find that only drinking milk ruins the game experience.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-09-02 16:15:36)

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-09-03 01:38:08

boggers

pein wrote:

put baby near cow
"dont eat berries"
"only drink milk"
"ok?"

works about 30-40%

#9 2018-09-03 02:32:40

Jk Howling

boggers wrote:
pein wrote:

put baby near cow
"dont eat berries"
"only drink milk"
"ok?"

works about 30-40%

Correction:

put baby near sauerkraut/popcorn
"dont eat berries"
"eat sauerkraut/popcorn as bby"
"eat til hunger bar big"
pick up baby, place near milk
"drink milk when bigger"
"not when smol"
"wastes foods when smol"
"ok?"

Most of the time he'll end up back in the berries anyways, because they're easier and faster and most probs think there's so many that it won't matter if they take those instead.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-03 02:35:39)

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2018-09-03 08:39:37

boggers

Is wasting milk really a problem though? You get 10 bowls of milk for one bowl of water, plus it separates if nobody drinks it.

#11 2018-09-03 17:49:27

betame

So the question becomes: What should we farm instead of berries? What food can you farm with less hassle? Why do nice players get stuck trying to keep berries alive?

Feeding people takes work, and the quick turnover of the berry bush speaks volumes to its usefulness for kids, yummers, learners, and composters. As a centerpiece to civilizations, berry farms fall victim to group think, so taking care of them is a courageous act of altruism.
I hope there's a better food source, but I don't know of one aside from high tech milk.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#12 2018-09-04 05:47:58

Turnipseed

I dont think anyone wants to do away with berrys, just make the feilds a bit smaller, and spread them out a hugberry farm sucks to maintain, and is a sponge magnet

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#13 2018-09-04 20:17:59

pein

build a wall on berries and give the peasants popcorn xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer