One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-01 11:29:12

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Money

I wonder how will it be if they introduce money in the game i was thinking that the other day i was a pie delivery man and i was wondering imagine if i asked for money it would be interesting since we have paper now shouldn't be hard

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#2 2018-09-01 12:26:35

bENdI

Re: Money

there really is no need for money because food is so abundant
although if people start creating large populations with a police force, it could be possible to have money

Last edited by bENdI (2018-09-01 12:27:15)

#3 2018-09-01 13:23:50

Septy

Money? Interesting, but I think we need to consider that before the need of money there would be a need for barter.
So a society where specialized craftsmen would barter some of the goods they are making (that are not food) for food.
For this to work, I think we would need houses so the farmer doesnt just leave his crops all over the field where anyone can take it.

I think money or some sort of universal currency would come into play with some sort of hierarchy.
A ruler gives coins to a few workers to build him a monolith. The workers use the coins to buy food while they focus on building something that doesnt produce food.
You would also need a shop that accepts said coins.

Question is, what would make you a ruler in OHOL or give you the right to "hire" people, give orders? You would need some way of enforcing your "laws" (army?)
I think currency is just one element of a much larger and complex social structure which would be very difficult if not impossible to implement in OHOL.

Well sure, on a very small scale you can just roleplay and pretend the paper is money and have fun in one life time. But real universal currency is too complex and we would need lots of other stuff in the game for it to really work.

Last edited by Septy (2018-09-01 13:29:50)

#4 2018-09-01 13:40:11

TrustyWay

Because of decay we will never see big cities as before, you will never see what is a real city on this game.

It's pretty sas ro say it but you all became rags and it's kinda annoying to play now. It isn't really difficult, this tedious enough to kill you.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-09-01 13:40:30)

#5 2018-09-01 13:42:15

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Septy wrote:

Money? Interesting, but I think we need to consider that before the need of money there would be a need for barter.
So a society where specialized craftsmen would barter some of the goods they are making (that are not food) for food.
For this to work, I think we would need houses so the farmer doesnt just leave his crops all over the field where anyone can take it.

I think money or some sort of universal currency would come into play with some sort of hierarchy.
A ruler gives coins to a few workers to build him a monolith. The workers use the coins to buy food while they focus on building something that doesnt produce food.
You would also need a shop that accepts said coins.

Question is, what would make you a ruler in OHOL or give you the right to "hire" people, give orders? You would need some way of enforcing your "laws" (army?)
I think currency is just one element of a much larger and complex social structure which would be very difficult if not impossible to implement in OHOL.

Well sure, on a very small scale you can just roleplay and pretend the paper is money and have fun in one life time. But real universal currency is too complex and we would need lots of other stuff in the game for it to really work.

I mean not money in everything in some stuff like if someone wants a pie delivery or like one time i was a grave yard man and a man told me to bury him in a special way with a rose then i can ask for money but what i mean is we should keep getting more civilized thats the fun part of the same

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#6 2018-09-01 14:10:15

Turnipseed

I have traded before, but the problem with trade is lack of ownership. Yeah theres locks, but the key is more often than not misplaced you are limited to five small items you can own, and theres not much value there.

I have however traded with neighboring citys. I traded a cart of pies for a cart of backpacks filled with rabbits. (This was before decay when packs were plentiful, huge roads connected many cities, and mutton pies were not yet a thing)

I have also "traded" with a smith a basket of mutton pies got him to prioritize the crafting of a shovel so i could continue composting after some dumbass broke our shovel burying every bone in the city.

The first is a good example of trade, but the pies i brought the smith were quickly stolen by passer bys

If you are lucky enough to have a home that someone else probobly built and locked while you were young, or before you we re born you can have some agency over your property  (although you may be murdered for your key) if you try to build such a home chances are you will be too old to utilize it for long after it is finished.

Just recently i was in a large triplet city where i traded mutton pie for pie crusts. But that was just to clean the pen.. you may know the town. Its the one with the impressive library that when you start reading sounds more like reading a bathroom stall in a highschool. In keeping with the theme i made a note stating "turnipseed was here"

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-09-01 14:54:59

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Turnipseed wrote:

I have traded before, but the problem with trade is lack of ownership. Yeah theres locks, but the key is more often than not misplaced you are limited to five small items you can own, and theres not much value there.

I have however traded with neighboring citys. I traded a cart of pies for a cart of backpacks filled with rabbits. (This was before decay when packs were plentiful, huge roads connected many cities, and mutton pies were not yet a thing)

I have also "traded" with a smith a basket of mutton pies got him to prioritize the crafting of a shovel so i could continue composting after some dumbass broke our shovel burying every bone in the city.

The first is a good example of trade, but the pies i brought the smith were quickly stolen by passer bys

If you are lucky enough to have a home that someone else probobly built and locked while you were young, or before you we re born you can have some agency over your property  (although you may be murdered for your key) if you try to build such a home chances are you will be too old to utilize it for long after it is finished.

Just recently i was in a large triplet city where i traded mutton pie for pie crusts. But that was just to clean the pen.. you may know the town. Its the one with the impressive library that when you start reading sounds more like reading a bathroom stall in a highschool. In keeping with the theme i made a note stating "turnipseed was here"

Hehe yup i know that town trading is good to but ya you are right about lack of ownership if only you can really own these stuff

#8 2018-09-01 15:07:01

Septy

Houses could be a reasonable step forward with OHOL updates.
Maybe instead of the current lock and key system you could claim ownership with a chat command like the /curse.
Close family members could have implicit access.
And if you want to invite a friend with another command like /house_invite_playername
Just a thought, not really sure this would fit OHOL

#9 2018-09-01 15:50:19

Turnipseed

Septy wrote:

Maybe instead of the current lock and key system you could claim ownership with a chat command like the /curse.
And if you want to invite a friend with another command like /house_invite_playername

Yeah im 99.9999% sure that wont happen.

We need a better solution, or just better key management.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#10 2018-09-01 16:06:59

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Turnipseed wrote:
Septy wrote:

Yeah im 99.9999% sure that wont happen.

We need a better solution, or just better key management.

Yes we are getting civilized everytime he updates we now defitnley need houses or own a farm or something

#11 2018-09-01 16:31:32

Booklat1

There is some degree of ownership in the game. You can have a bag to hold items and an apron too. Keys arent the most reliable but having access to a locked chest helps, specially if it's somewhat away from the town. We also have knives as a kinda clumsy way to enforce some of that property.

That being said I see trade as thing that'll only become a necessity as cities grow bigger and rarer or endemical resources get added and needed to mantain societies.

#12 2018-09-01 19:17:46

Septy

I feel like this game is the most fun to play as the first few generations. Late generation, the game gets too chaotic.
As the town gets bigger the amount of clutter is so annoying. Having to run around searching for a missing item or tools. If fire goes out, having to go two bioms away or more to find a leaf.

Shouldnt more advanced towns get more quality of life stuff and the low tech should become easier to do?
I always feel like suiciding when Im born in bigger cities.

#13 2018-09-01 19:40:33

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Septy wrote:

I feel like this game is the most fun to play as the first few generations. Late generation, the game gets too chaotic.
As the town gets bigger the amount of clutter is so annoying. Having to run around searching for a missing item or tools. If fire goes out, having to go two bioms away or more to find a leaf.

Shouldnt more advanced towns get more quality of life stuff and the low tech should become easier to do?
I always feel like suiciding when Im born in bigger cities.

Well its the peoples job to clean their cities but they never do really like we built a library in this town so the papers won't be thrown around like crazy but sometimes i get surprised i see really random tools in the roads lol

#14 2018-09-02 01:48:32

boggers

Just write "TEN BUCKS" and "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" on bits of paper.

Money would be less useless in OHOL because the most valuable thing is inventory space.

#15 2018-09-02 01:57:58

littlemissmesssy
Banned

boggers wrote:

Just write "TEN BUCKS" and "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" on bits of paper.

Money would be less useless in OHOL because the most valuable thing is inventory space.

Not a bad idea

#16 2018-09-02 05:20:00

pein

well, i was thinking about making grave pen 'shop' and selling stuff i make, mainly ropes or items made out of rope, like buckets and carts
and people could pay berry bowls or berry bowls with carrot, and just assemble things inside a room, but its kinda hard to make even a 3x3 room enclosed with a chest in the wall
would be interesting roleplay and grave room is kinda fast to make, fixing it takes a bit more, so its either 2 lifes or team play
its jsut mostly for roleplay
for money to be effective it should be something that is virtual and has a value, based on something, like a point system, which is kinda hard, like where do you get it? you need a source first then it boosts economy but we dont really have economy, specialization isnt really encouraged and cities look mostly the same

the bigger bioems idea and multiple ways of doing same thing would improve on this too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer