One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-30 05:46:26

WomanWizard

Minor Wounds and Babies with Knives

It was a thought I was stream of consciousness talking about on stream today while playing the game, and I thought the forum could give some more insight.

I like being a doctor, and building hospitals, and setting up clinics and the likes, but it seems that doctors these days are just severely overlooked. Healing happens so rarely when needed, because it's needed so rarely that there's hardly anyone around to do it. If someone decides to be a doctor one life and hangs out at the clinic or hospital, chances are nobody will get stabbed or shot and the doctor just isn't needed. It's a boring life, so who will do it? By the time the hospital or clinic is set up, most of the wild animals nearby have been killed, so it's really just backup against griefers and cult stabbings.

But what if we had other uses for doctors? Wounds or illnesses that are non-lethal but slow down your character so that healing is needed to improve productivity. It's a reason to have the hospital/clinic staffed, and if a mass stabbing occurs, there's a greater chance that there will be someone around to tend to the wounded.

"But WomanWizard, where do the babies with knives come in?" Here's where we can kill two birds with one stone. Mothers giving their newborns knives instead of handing them off to someone trustworthy.

What if, instead of not being able to interact with knives at all, young children who try to handle a knife receive minor wounds that slow them down? Putting a backpack with a knife in it on your child doesn't seem so safe now, does it? Knives could also have a chance of causing minor wounds when you run around with them exposed, or just a slight chance when you're doing any kind of job with them. Gotta keep those doctors busy.

As for illnesses, I haven't given it much thought. But maybe the red cross apron could be used to designate doctors who can diagnose illnesses so that they can be treated with various medications. It would make the apron slightly more useful since I rarely see it on doctors at the moment anyway.

So what do you think? I think it's a system that could get terribly complex if we go too crazy, but there's something here. Any suggestions?

#2 2018-08-30 05:56:52

Trick

Re: Minor Wounds and Babies with Knives

I think this sounds interesting, but it would really suck for Eves.  Eve runs are already incredibly challenging... to add in illness, injury, and disease would make it near impossible, I think.

But I like the idea.  Perhaps just the knife stuff would be good - if you're advanced enough to have made a knife, then you should be close enough to having medical supplies, I reckon.

#3 2018-08-30 06:09:29

WomanWizard

Eve runs are why I was hesitant to add anything like "stacking too many illnesses kills a player" because you'd lose basically all your kids without a method of healing them. I feel like a slowdown isn't so terrible that it'll destroy a place, but enough that you'll want to get rid of it if possible.

#4 2018-08-30 06:11:27

VioletLily

I like the knife idea. Bigger city = More knives = More wounds = More need for medic.

On another note, I found it interesting that you mentioned how rare it is that healing happens when I just came from a life where we healed like 3 people right before I died. I think the hospital location was key here though. It was right along the road so it was easy to reach before death and was also right between the compost farm and smith, thereby ensuring there would be someone around. It is the first time I've seen a hospital get so much use. Admittedly, the bear probably helped too XD

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-08-30 06:19:15)

#5 2018-08-30 06:15:41

WomanWizard

Yes, hospital location is key. I tried setting up a clinic today and had a chance to heal someone. But my location was terrible and by the time I got her there, I only managed to clean her wound before she died.

I should probably mention that when I talk about "slow down," the people can still interact with objects and work, they are just slow. It's not like murder cool-down where you can't do anything.

#6 2018-08-30 17:42:30

Turnipseed

WomanWizard wrote:

Eve runs are why I was hesitant to add anything like "stacking too many illnesses kills a player" because you'd lose basically all your kids without a method of healing them. I feel like a slowdown isn't so terrible that it'll destroy a place, but enough that you'll want to get rid of it if possible.

Solution add cotton that can be used as a a pad, but dosnt regrow. Like burdock

Add medical root for illnesses so it is accessible to eves

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-08-30 19:06:16

pein

yeah some low level healing would be nice
jason thinks getting sheep is basic knowledge for everyone but actually maybe 1 person out of 200 can do it, and all the tools that life

to have a negative effect to require a new job isnt really fun mechanic
lot of things are useful but not fun
for example milkweed planting, making baskets, they are useful but tedious process, even a cart when people steal it right away
restarting a town: while you happy you find a decaying town, the whole process of making it viable depends on if you can make baskets, carts, and thats all your life

in oxygen not included, germs were introduced and sickness, the solutions were simple and the effects could be simply maintained
but there duplicants had to poop, they even vomited and some parts of map were dangerous, but needed if you wanted to create oxygen
while its similar in some things, ONI had 2d with gravity, OHOL is top down so oxygen and liquid flow is not part of game

we could have cosmetic issues not cleaning things, but we would require storage, and maybe a reward for doing dangerous stuff for healthcare
also a random occurence with a health bar, not just linear stuff like working in mines make you sick in 2 min then you need a doctor

some things could be introduced as cosmetics, but its too much work for little reward comparing to adding more building materials or fun game mechanics with new items

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-08-30 21:19:22

WomanWizard

pein wrote:

in oxygen not included, germs were introduced and sickness, the solutions were simple and the effects could be simply maintained
but there duplicants had to poop, they even vomited and some parts of map were dangerous, but needed if you wanted to create oxygen
while its similar in some things, ONI had 2d with gravity, OHOL is top down so oxygen and liquid flow is not part of game

Yeah, germs work well in Oxygen Not Included because air and liquid management are some of the core aspects of the game, but to implement actual germs in One Hour One Life I think would be to add a mechanic that is too complex for the type of game that we're dealing with.

It could be that certain objects, when not interacted with properly, have a chance of making characters sick or injured. Raw meat and cactus fruit, for example. There could be a proper way to handle them that's safe, and an improper way that could result in sickness or injury. That way, children in early Eve camps can avoid illness and injury if they know what they're doing, and those who don't have something new to learn.

I think low level healing is a much tougher nut to crack. Because if you come up with medicines that can be used in an Eve camp that completely cure an illness, there isn't much reason to make more complex medicines later on that do the same thing. Making these early medicines a non-renewable resource is one way to handle this, but not my personal favourite. Medicines evolved over time in real life, and there should be a reason for them to evolve in game as well. Maybe a "bed-rest" system where spending time on a tile with some kind of bedroll speeds up your recovery of whatever illness you have. Or maybe early herbal medicines do a similar thing. Instead of curing a character, they simply speed up their recovery.

#9 2018-08-30 21:35:29

Turnipseed

Google silphium a medical plant we used to extinction thousands of years ago. Makes sense to have things avaliable to eves that the civilization will have to find a replacement for once they are exausted.

As the game gains more depth, and things get harder to manage eves sometimes need a lil buff.

Burdock, and wild onions are there for the same purpose. You cant grow them. They are just there to take some food pressure off of eves. Im not for or aginst the idea of more injuries or addition of diseases. I was just offering a good solution to the early game problem someonw brought up.

Though cotton balls, or flax would be a wonderful addition, so i could heal my last daughter in an eve camp. Even if i had to sterilize them first.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#10 2018-08-30 21:52:17

pein

what if you cant cure but you can delay death and allow working? this would allow people to make a pen, get sheep, make pads and heal themselves for real, worst case scenario, having someone healing them over and over for years
but generally just to have a fire to cure the bow shot

any case we would need health bar not just hunger bar acting as hp, cause currently we got 1 hitpoint
one funyn thing would be that arrow or stab would cut one arm or leg or neck, which is deadly
less movement penalty for stab, but 20% chance is lethal

losing a half leg would prevent movement, but you could make a wooden leg
losing hand would prevent crafting but you could hold items and an iron hook could be made to replace

stempunk pirate update xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-08-30 22:23:49

Tea

pein wrote:

what if you cant cure but you can delay death and allow working? this would allow people to make a pen, get sheep, make pads and heal themselves for real, worst case scenario, having someone healing them over and over for years
but generally just to have a fire to cure the bow shot

any case we would need health bar not just hunger bar acting as hp, cause currently we got 1 hitpoint
one funyn thing would be that arrow or stab would cut one arm or leg or neck, which is deadly
less movement penalty for stab, but 20% chance is lethal

losing a half leg would prevent movement, but you could make a wooden leg
losing hand would prevent crafting but you could hold items and an iron hook could be made to replace

stempunk pirate update xD

I love that idea ! You'll need to have someone around to check on you and heal you until the town has better health care.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#12 2018-08-31 01:07:51

WomanWizard

Turnipseed wrote:

Google silphium a medical plant we used to extinction thousands of years ago. Makes sense to have things avaliable to eves that the civilization will have to find a replacement for once they are exausted.

My issue is less with the plant being used to extinction, and more with the idea that it would be just as effective as later game medicine. Something like silphium would fall under the "take the medicine and you recover faster" category rather than the "instantly cured" category of later game medicine.

I also like the idea of adding cotton, but would rather it be something that can be farmed for multiple uses later on rather than harvested once and stripped from the land. Give us cotton clothes, cotton sheets for med beds, and cotton balls for wound cleaning. It's too useful of a plant to only use once early game.

And I like pein's idea of delaying death. Perhaps uncured illnesses reduce your life expectancy and you start losing your hunger bars earlier in life if you've been chronically ill? I've definitely seen amputations discussed before, and like the idea. You could have crutches in earlier camps that take up your arms in order to move around, and prosthetics/peg legs later on that free up your arms, but are harder to make.

As for the health bar, I don't think it'll be needed and I'd rather it be avoided. Right now if someone is injured they become "your mother with stab wound" or "your uncle with snake bite." Minor wounds and illnesses could work similarly and players become "your sister with illness" or "your brother with knife cut." It would be a system of cooldowns rather than something tracked on an HP bar.

Of course now we're getting into "a system that could get terribly complex if we go too crazy" territory.

Board footer