One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-29 13:22:13

VioletLily

Why do you play OHOL?

There are a lot of games out there and here you are playing this one. Why is that? What is it about this game that keeps you playing?

You see, I rarely stick with games for long. After I accomplish everything a game has to offer, I see little reason to stick with it. There are very few that I continue to play after I run out of new content to explore. Those I do stick with are usually what I would consider the "Best of the Best" games. This one seems to have made the list somehow. It is even rarer for me to participate in the game community and yet here I am.

That got me thinking: Why do I enjoy this game so much? Why do others enjoy this game? What is it about this game that makes people want to play it? So here I am asking you the same questions.

I personally love the community aspect of the game. I love that what I accomplish in this game helps others as well. I love how attached I can get to my in-game family. I have also gotten strangely attached to everything compost related in this game: Compost Farming, Compost Making, Shepherding and Mutton Pie Making when the situation calls for it, and even hastily taking care of berries if they are really struggling. I also love that things are constantly being improved, like how bowls/plates/ingots are now stackable (It's crazy how much smoother cities ran with that simple change).

I'm sure there is a post like this somewhere on the forms, but I think it is important to keep some positive feedback going. Jason deserves thanks for the game he gave us and positive feedback is just as important as negative when moving forward.

#2 2018-08-29 13:25:19

TheRedBug

Re: Why do you play OHOL?

There's a particular recipe that makes me wanna play over and over

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-08-29 13:45:08

Neo

I like how the towns develop overtime and with each update. Starts out with a single Eve who finds a spot and has children, Turns into a small farm with a little family. Then they start to make tools, Carts, Roads, Sheep, Bigger farms, Buildings etc. I've seen some pretty impressive cities lately, One even had a library.

It's also partly because of curiosity, We're gonna eventually be able to get to Modern Era stuff. I wonder what game will be like when we get to that point.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-29 14:00:37)

#4 2018-08-29 14:01:11

PeaGirl

I like this game in particular makes you rely on other's progress for you to progress aside. I like the endeavor, I like the struggle. I like the challenge. I like moms who travel with their babies to megacities. I like when moms make backbag in run for their daughter to use. I like how everything you do actually feels like it matters. Even dropping poo in someone's creation is considered miracle. I like to name kids. I like to have sex jokes without anyone hating me. I like boobs. I like pubic hair. I like p***ses flopping in cold air when guys run. It's like those typical 3d games like Conan Exiles and Ark Survival, except 2d, and that your progress is like fart in the desert, yet it is a treasure to someone else, if well used.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#5 2018-08-29 14:17:16

Roblor

I like games where you create your own purpose as opposed to games with an intended purpose that is continuously forced upon you, like as if you were an actor in a movie and just have to go along with the story either it's engaging or not.
I don't like games with heavy narrative. Too many "movie" games are being made now a days.

Games where better before I learned to understand English.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#6 2018-08-29 14:42:37

Joriom
Website

Thats easy: I don't.

I haven't played OHOL for over 3 months now. I play other games (Minecraft, Factorio, LoL, SC II, Civ, Stellaris, etc). I believe its all about diversity in your life, if you know what I mean wink
What keeps me here is the community and all the salt around. I love salt.

#7 2018-08-30 02:14:53

Schlorghan

I like learning how the OHOL community acts in situations,

Basically I conduct behavior experiments for my own interest.
^ that sounded like a mad scientist, so just imagine this surfer dud saying this.

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#8 2018-08-30 04:52:24

carbon

I enjoy games where you repeat the same actions over and over.

I also like the salt on this forum and the people that try to indoctrinate others with their own moral system and the ensuing 6+ pages of stubborn opinionated people duking it out with half-assed pseudo-philosophical shenanigans.

#9 2018-08-30 10:00:45

MultiLife

This is a fun thing to think about. I am a similar gamer as OP: I rarely find games I get super into, but when I do, I play for hundreds to thousands of hours very loyally. I have now played OHOL for 1 month (on/off due to life and OHOL having murder issues with updates)...

So let's see!

1. No life is the same. There is the element of uniqueness. Some tasks are the same but there are hues that differ each time. Identity, location, situations, people...
2. My actions matter and benefit others. There is the element of lasting impacts, big and small.
3. Experiences: there is the element of surprises. What goes down in the next life? I think this is related to gacha mechanics and slot machines: maybe next one is a "big win"? My new favorite life?
4. Social interaction. Bumping into other kind and fun players awakens my emotions and makes me attached to others. It's refreshing.

What got me to play were the questions "Who will I be? What will be my name? How will my life pan out? What kind of people will take care of me? What will I go through? Will I be someone's hero? How will I die?"
Same questions are keeping me playing.

I also feel that the experience is worth the time I invest as I have instant impact on other real people. Mundane tasks are connected to the indirect saving of others so others can continue their existence and experiences and possibly get to enjoy good moments and emotions and possibly connecting with another human.

I also suspect there are small dopamine rushes going on when doing tasks, simple and complex, and enjoying finishing a project you set for yourself. Crafting, hunting, creating etc.

TL:DR; my actions help others as well as me, behind a corner may be the best life ever and there are differences and surprises in my playthroughs due to the game being a multiplayer. Simple and complex tasks give dopamine rushes.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-30 10:14:36)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-08-30 11:16:40

EllynEve

I like the instant gratification the game provides, and the lack of commitment needed. I just need to remember basic skills and I can pick up newer stuff easily.

Every life has the chance to be memorable.

I love the level of anonymity the game provides. Save for references made to forums, you don't really know who the other person is. It's freeing.

Pure collaboration and the chance to just immerse yourself into the game however way you desire.

Board footer