One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-27 07:32:20

boggers

Language based segregation.

I'm a couple weeks in now, got maybe 60 hrs played, the game has grown on me but I'm still one of the 7% who left a "would not recommend" negative review.

The reason is more about the players than it is about the game though. There's a real beauty to this game but I could not recommend it to my elderly mother or young daughter because of the bad behaviour and language of a small minority of players.

So here's an idea...

What if the game kept track of the frequency that people spoke the most common few hundred words, then for example if a player says "thanks" far more often than they say "fuck you" the child spawning algorithm will try and spawn them to other players with a similar vocab histogram. Or, if you're a bit trigger happy on saying "curse ___ " or "griefer" you'll end up spawning in families with roughly similar mindsets.

I'm not a fan of censorship or strict rules at all, and I get that Jason wants to see the game self-regulate, but I think this could be a decent compromise. Let the jerks play all they want with the other jerks.

Automated, adaptive, asshole apartheid, what do you think?

#2 2018-08-27 14:03:40

carbon

Re: Language based segregation.

No, if they can't handle a four letter word, I don't think they can handle this game.

#3 2018-08-27 17:17:09

The_Llamacorn

Just because people are vulgar doesn't mean that they are bad people, that's just how they express themselves.

And maybe some people are just unlucky and run into griefers all the time and need to curse them/warn people. Then what? Are you gonna punish them for that?

I like the freedom Jason has given us to create our own world, especially when it comes to talking. Instead of implementing a bunch of filters so that people can't say what they want Jason put it in our own hands to collectively decide if someone has gone too far so that we can make our own decisions.

You can change the game, but not the players.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#4 2018-08-27 17:18:45

lucythewanderer

I personally think the official servers should be for 18+ players but Jason releases the code, so it seems like groups that want to be segregated could build their own server and make their own rules. However, easier solution would be to take your friends/relatives to an abandoned server and start your own civ (and only allowing players you know to join you).

Last edited by lucythewanderer (2018-08-27 17:19:32)

~running naked through the swamp

#5 2018-08-27 17:51:11

Thecolorthursday

Actually, this idea seems like a pretty good one, but not for swear censorship purposes . This would help with different languages, and may allow dialects to form . Btw, suggestions will only be read if they're on r/OneLifeSuggestions .

use she for me please

#6 2018-08-27 18:28:05

Turnipseed

Thecolorthursday wrote:

Actually, this idea seems like a pretty good one, but not for swear censorship purposes . This would help with different languages, and may allow dialects to form . Btw, suggestions will only be read if they're on r/OneLifeSuggestions .

Thats not always true if a subject gains enough traction on the forum it will be heard

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-08-27 22:21:40

pein

rude people are more honest

a lot of nabs who do stupid shit based on false information and deserve to be stabbed for it talk nicely and get saved

heck, some even think that antisocial behavior is bad while antisocial people wont annoy you with their shit, and generally have higher iq and logical abilities

so its not a punishment, let all the hypocritical dumbasses and roleplayers have their noob kingdom

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-08-27 22:27:54

startafight

i say fuck a lot but thats just cos im Edgy. however there r ppl who rp sex n nasty shit who dont swear. which do you prefer? ppl who swear or ppl who dont talk but still wipe out entire families?

the idea of a different server thats moderated for under age kids is probably better. but jason doesnt want that to be a thing so unless ur willing to create, host, and moderate a server on ur own i think ull be out of luck

#9 2018-08-27 22:42:04

Anshin

There's 2HOL for that.

#10 2018-08-28 03:44:05

boggers

Anshin wrote:

There's 2HOL for that.

I might check out 2HOL, seems more appropriate to show non-gamers.

Wow, I actually agree with pein - the idea is not about punishment at all, it's about grouping like minded people together.

#11 2018-08-28 04:19:49

Neo

Unless it's actual different languages then no.

Board footer