One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-08-21 03:28:24

I am Pharo

Re: Having Fun and Messing Around is NOT Griefing

yeah, i'm such a jokester.

Also, that second artful bit is called synthesis, you might learn about that in college when you grow up someday.

#77 2018-08-21 03:34:16

hihibanana

You're not a jokester.

#78 2018-08-21 03:36:05

I am Pharo

You're not worth talking to.  So bye

#79 2018-08-21 03:37:51

hihibanana

Many times I have asked you to stop and take a break. Please leave.

Edit: the bold is because I know you'll keep trying to get the last word in.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 03:45:02)

#80 2018-08-21 03:41:29

I am Pharo

hihibanana - "You can't leave, I'm kicking you out!"

#81 2018-08-21 03:43:58

hihibanana

That's not what I'm saying. Now instead of making me look like someone who won't let it go, I suggest you take responsibility for your claims, and leave like you said you would.

#82 2018-08-21 03:44:24

I am Pharo

now i wanna stay

#83 2018-08-21 03:45:29

hihibanana

You've always wanted to stay, and were never leaving. Stop, take a break, and reflect. You're only going to aggravate yourself if you keep trying to fight an invisible enemy.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 03:46:41)

#84 2018-08-21 03:47:14

I am Pharo

What do you want to be when you grow up?

#85 2018-08-21 03:49:29

startafight

I am Pharo wrote:

i wanna be a dentist

#86 2018-08-21 03:52:41

I am Pharo

startafight wrote:
I am Pharo wrote:

i wanna be a dentist

What a noble occupation.  Helping others, and saving lives.

I wonder what hihibanana wants to be one day.

#87 2018-08-21 03:54:20

pein

okay hihibanana, this is a game of crafting survival
you can eliminate the survival aspect by being a lazy ass, just dont think that makes others happy

and also its a strategy, and pretty hard game for most
but you probably dont realize cause you never had a successful eve run

go play penguin club, there you wont need to eat

dont act like a professional psychologist, especially if you only read some mainstream bullshit
you could learn a lot from spirituality
mentally ill people are unique and interesting
the 'sheep' and 'zombie' are the people who try to enforce certain acceptable and unacceptable traits
pretty sure you are american, only there are so many bullshit categories
for example their prison study where every confident person had trait of psychopath, no shit, and because they are prisoners they are bad persons, having unique thinking and strong belief in non mainstream thing, means everybody else who is similar is a psychopath, truth is every successful businessman has traits of psychopaths

and you still attacking the person, and not what he says
also you refuse to even consider other perspectives other than yours
calm the fuck down and maybe you archieve something
btw you attack the wrong persons, i played with turnipseed and mirelli for example and their presence in game is enough for me to endure a lot of newbies and dont execute them on sight

its still a game and people can act differently from real life
for example as the meta changed, i turned from the biggest birth controller to 'raise all babies who dont move, point on thigs and know how temperature works'

i dont follow anyone, if you know anything about me, thats the first thing you should realize
maybe others follow me, i backup my shit with logic,  im open minded and got the same expectations toward myself as to others

with the experience comes the extra vision range, more effective scouting
you wont be able to determine your position in a city if you dont know what the items do
once you know all recipes and encounter common problems, you can fix them quite fast
i dont expect newbies plant so much as i do, or build so fast, but i do expect some willingness to be useful, to realize the level they are on, and to dont be cocky
if i wouldnt be would be someone else, im not so special, maybe i talk more than others

generally my games are pretty chill and 90% i make the half camp and every notable structure
you remember the rest of 10% cause you forget that the person working for you effectively can kill you just as simple
i never go into a game that i will kill the next town i get into or grief it
and i dont destroy the map generally
i got pissed off sometimes and go on a rampage, but i got a  reason, people just pour oil to the fire generally, if you start cursing or trying to kill me and end up dead, thank for yourself, you can be right or you can be dead , zero sum game, if you hate me for having a problem with you, you are welcome to challenge me
if i would hold a session of how many people i can kill under a week, you would see some serious numbers
btw i still didnt had black speech bubble once

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#88 2018-08-21 03:57:06

startafight

I am Pharo wrote:
startafight wrote:
I am Pharo wrote:

i wanna be a dentist

What a noble occupation.  Helping others, and saving lives.

I wonder what hihibanana wants to be one day.

evidently a second rate therapist. or even a high school counselor

#89 2018-08-21 04:06:23

Uncle Gus

This thread has devolved into a shitfest. Get it back on topic or it will be locked.

#90 2018-08-21 04:11:55

startafight

Uncle Gus wrote:

This thread has devolved into a shitfest. Get it back on topic or it will be locked.

please lock it. i beg you

#91 2018-08-21 04:17:39

hihibanana

pein wrote:

Not a professional psychologist. Don't read mainstream psychology. I actually teach people about spirituality, how to meditate, work on themselves, etc. To me, spirituality (or self-improvement) is better than psychology, as psychology looks at external factors, while spirituality looks at internal.

I'm not saying mental illness is bad. I'm saying it is a tough thing for people to deal with, and has negative consequences when applied incorrectly. I also know that mental illness is curable through self-improvement. Something psychologists will snark at. You don't have to have a mental illness to think in a unique way.

Because I'm considering their point of view, and what they say, I'm aware that they're not willing to have a functional argument, discussion, or behave in an respectful way. I would rather shut down a troll, than suddenly be trapped in a game of who-can-do-the-most-mental-gymnastics.

If you've killed one newbie for "griefing" and haven't reflected on why you did so, you'll do it again. Killing is a good way to end someone's fun, and directly impact someone's well-being (many people come to videogames to heal; interrupting the healing process is very very bad).

It seems you also know how to play the game correctly. Exploration, community, and communication are huge parts of what make this game fun and, well, itself.

I think you should look at your actions a bit more. You'd be surprised as to what drives them.

You're overall playing the game correctly, without griefing, but it seems there are moments where you do lose control, and end up following the ideas others have on killing and when to kill. The solution is: don't kill anyone you feel like killing. Always kill someone you know you should kill. This will clarify all choices on killing. Learning to control yourself under stress isn't easy, but is curable through understanding yourself in great detail, to the point in which you unlock your magic. smile

You are a respectable person as a whole, but you're sometimes at the mercy of others without realizing it.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 04:19:54)

#92 2018-08-21 04:21:43

Randomname

Saturday I had a fun life. 

I was born in a fair size town and seen a road for the first time.  As soon I got hair I gathered a bowl of berries and I ran on that road, I ran all the way up and all the way down.  I did it over and over and over and over, my mother even said "not another road slut".  I pretty much only ran on the road that entire life, however I was a girl and I raised three amazing boys Gingerbread Man, Fast Car and Road Rage.

I held on to them and ran up and down the road holding them teaching them that flat stone and floor stakes make road.  I felt the joy in being able to type whilst running not something I can usually manage, may have gone a little over board as  I sang/recited "You've got a fast car", "Run and run as fast as you can" and "Its all over the front page, you give me road rage" depending on which of my kids I was holding at the time.

If someone would have killed me, I'd for sure have been sad but definitely not mad.  In that life it was my time to run and it could have been the life where their patience was short.  I think the reason I was spared was that I was a female and it was update day, people do go loopy over the shiny new things.

So I guess my input in this thread is yes it nice to goof off sometimes but yes it can get you killed.  As for if it is griefing or not, well that is up to the town you are living in to judge.  If they feel you were killed unnecessarily they can always kill/curse.

#93 2018-08-21 04:24:15

hihibanana

The cursing system as a whole seems to be underutilized due to the sheer lack of availability (and therefore is a bad system against griefing/unnecessary killing). The system seems to think you'll have one curse every two villages. Often, you'll want to curse someone, and not be able to, because you've only lived so much time after using your curse token.

A big chunk of the player base are new players that don't realize they can curse when they really need to. They're not used to cursing. Of course, there is also a huge chunk of players who abuse the curse system and use it when they shouldn't. This further decreases the rate in which a particular person will be cursed.

Also as such, marking will be very rare.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 04:35:51)

#94 2018-08-21 04:56:12

pein

LaughAtlantis wrote:

I was killed today for not doing THE SPECIFIC WORK that my adoptive mother was telling me to do. It’s my game to play too. If I want to live a life where I go hunt rabbits, let me do that. I don’t have to water wheat fields (which I did) or make berry bowls (which I didn’t do - and by the way, crazy not-my-Mom, I’d you’d just said “do you know how to compost? I woulda said yes and done it, but your micromanaging was a little much for me).

Standing around and just eating is a form of griefing. But geez, let people show their colors. I died at SIX because I didn’t want to do the task my stupid non-mom was giving me, because it was the first decent spawn I’d had today. Geeeeeez.

you were killed because you were ungrateful, rude and way too cocky
because you were like "i dont water the fields cause the food is so far" 15 tiles south, very far

then i bring everything ready and ask nicely to fill a few bowls
you are like 'do it yourself'

guess what? i did, but then again, what is the use of having you there?

essentially saved you from starving in the arms of my aging sister
everyone else would of let you starve, your were on a hot tile, scooped up by a girl who just raised kids all here life and didnt even realize she went old

if you would of stopped i wouldnt kill you, just by running away after telling some bullshit like that, pissed me off
'do it yourself' sounds like that you dont appreciate the work i done and you think you are too special to do a favor to your grandma
all i had is 2 granddaughters
you can say 'no', you can say 'i want to grow a bit then i do something else'
or just fill one bowl at least, all other kids done something, and i checked upon them and asked if they need anything, left hats for the workers

did you know that i restarted the sheep while my sisters were doing nothing?
made the new hoe cause we didnt had one, so people wont go aimlessly around trying to find something which doesnt exist?
i got them soil, water, new bucket, brought wheat, planted it,made the first compost, tasked my kids for making new buckets, brought back the tools and arranged them, rough more wheat from savanna, made hats for everyone, a few carts
tasked every kid with something simple so they contribute something, and we can fix the town fast
they fed my babies a few times, but after that i scooped them up, showed them around and told them what to do, feeding 18 people is not easy

wasnt decent at all, it was a mess, until me and mirelli fixed it
spared 2-3 minutes of my life on you, and i was talking to you, you just ran away
generally saved kids are nice, they are grateful, not like i told you to do it all your life
and i was already searching for someone to pass on my shit, you were my granddaughter, your mom left you, and died at 21

in SIX minutes you did nothing and refused 2 jobs after being saved from certain death and giving you a tour, and you refused to communicate
i didnt even told you bullshit jobs like most people do, we actually needed it
so yeah, crazy to care
you shown your colors pretty fast

nobody killed me, nobody shred a tear for you after i told what you said, they fed me and that was it

arthur got my knife cause he was getting straight branches when i mentioned to him that we need some for new carts and tools, and my other sister asked to be stabbed at 43 cause she also just spammed babies and didnt care much about what is going on
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=908693

so yeah, sorry for trying to organize the camp so we got enough baskets before population boom and not letting every person do whatever they please before doing what we actually need, thats like 40 people who died before me and didnt seen much advancement

Last edited by pein (2018-08-21 04:56:42)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#95 2018-08-21 05:07:27

hihibanana

Pein, just because people cannot keep up with you, doesn't mean they're griefing. Everyone learns in their own way and requires different ways of adjustment. For example, the person you killed was trying to hone their rabbit hunting skill. So instead of letting them hone it, you would rather have them help what you're doing, instead of letting them learn, and come back to help you when they're done. You killed a little child, and it seems you did so without much thought. They could have very well helped you in the future.

Many times, I've taken the job of village organizer. People listen if you explain that we need x, for y reason. Don't just tell people what to do. That's equally cocky and rude. Let people know why they need to do things.

"We're going into a famine soon, so feel free to run South
to get berries, as we won't be able to support
our big population booms"

"We need to get more water
because our mothers are
giving birth to too many
children, so we can
work on getting farms
expanded and watered.
We already have soil"

"We are focusing too
much on farms and
need to focus on tech.
Does anyone know
how to farm milkweed?"

Something as simple as this goes a long way. People really do listen if you explain yourself. You can also easily spot the new players, because they ask things like, "how do I farm?" so you don't just think they're a griefer. Don't say, "fill these bowls up." Like, what do you think that will accomplish in the long-run? Individuality is important in any society, virtual or not.

Everyone wants to support you and your vision, especially if you're good at the game and know what you're doing. But you need to work on your communication skills so people know why they need to help you. This game is anonymous. You don't have "Pein" written above you, telling use you're a long-time veteran and good city planner. For all we know, you have no idea what you're doing, and are just a crazy lady, commanding us because you have nothing better to do.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 05:19:01)

#96 2018-08-21 05:13:15

Uncle Gus

By the time you've said all of that, one or both of you will have starved.

#97 2018-08-21 05:13:58

hihibanana

Not at all. It doesn't take long to say this. Less than a minute.

I've saved villages by helping their organization. For example, too many people were confused because there were too many kilns. I helped people assign the main kilns, and destroyed the others. This helped our tool production go smoother, and allowed people to know where to get tools. No one starved while I was talking.

It is worth spending 20 seconds organizing, than spending 3+ minutes in chaos.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 05:17:15)

#98 2018-08-21 05:19:55

Doctor Steve

Uncle Gus is right, that is too many words. In this game you have to be quick. A minute = 1 year in this game, remember, so if saying something takes less than a minute it really takes most of a year in game.

Although it would be nice if people would put aside desires to go do their own thing for just a little while if their civilization needs them to stay, it wont always happen. I personally don't kill people for that but I understand why Pein did. I haven't always wanted to water berry bushes, and I certainly dont like having to scavenge for milkweed threads and ropes to make bows and arrows to kill bears with, but I do it because I know it is crucial that it gets done. When the crisis is over, then I can go back to what I'm doing.

Of course, if people pitched in to keep the farms running instead of sponging that would eliminate the need for someone to sacrifice their desires to save a civilization.

Edit: used wrong word lol sentence didn't make sense.

Last edited by Doctor Steve (2018-08-21 05:21:27)

#99 2018-08-21 05:25:32

hihibanana

Yes, but it is better to spend a few 10s of seconds organizing, than having everyone fight over which tools belong where, or which farm does what. Or even worse, having people killing eachother over a misunderstanding, like when you're moving the kiln (destroying it, making a new one), or you're trying to use a basket to get rid of bones that are crowding the forge (what are you doing with the soil basket! *kills you*). Even update changes, "the ponds refill! Why did you kill me! The ponds refill!!!" for just one example.

Not everyone knows what to do to help a civilization. That takes a lot of time and devotion to learn. That is why you always have people asking, "what do?" (which is a way of organizing btw, and only takes 2 seconds).

If you communicated to a lot of the people you're calling sponges, I bet you they're new players, trying to understand how to work the recipes, and don't know how. It is rare for someone to do nothing for the sake of doing nothing on purpose.

Edit: Also, many things in this game do not follow a 1-year-1-minute scale. For example, if a minute went by in a year, you definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with your daily hunger. That being said, if you justify not communicating with need to eat, you cannot use the 1-year-1-minute scale argument to support that, seeing as hunger does not follow that scale.

In fact, if most things that follow the one-year-one-minute scale correlate to positive/neutral progress than negative (ponds/wells, compost, bell towers, ancient walls, floors, non-decaying items (tools, food items, general items), tools without time-based decay vs. backpacks, clothes, cart decay; lifespan depends on the community and overall population), it is actually better to be patient, communicate, and take your time in this game.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-21 06:13:49)

#100 2018-08-21 06:03:53

pein

hihibanana wrote:
pein wrote:

Not a professional psychologist. Don't read mainstream psychology. I actually teach people about spirituality, how to meditate, work on themselves, etc. To me, spirituality (or self-improvement) is better than psychology, as psychology looks at external factors, while spirituality looks at internal.

I'm not saying mental illness is bad. I'm saying it is a tough thing for people to deal with, and has negative consequences when applied incorrectly. I also know that mental illness is curable through self-improvement. Something psychologists will snark at. You don't have to have a mental illness to think in a unique way.

Because I'm considering their point of view, and what they say, I'm aware that they're not willing to have a functional argument, discussion, or behave in an respectful way. I would rather shut down a troll, than suddenly be trapped in a game of who-can-do-the-most-mental-gymnastics.

If you've killed one newbie for "griefing" and haven't reflected on why you did so, you'll do it again. Killing is a good way to end someone's fun, and directly impact someone's well-being (many people come to videogames to heal; interrupting the healing process is very very bad).

It seems you also know how to play the game correctly. Exploration, community, and communication are huge parts of what make this game fun and, well, itself.

I think you should look at your actions a bit more. You'd be surprised as to what drives them.

You're overall playing the game correctly, without griefing, but it seems there are moments where you do lose control, and end up following the ideas others have on killing and when to kill. The solution is: don't kill anyone you feel like killing. Always kill someone you know you should kill. This will clarify all choices on killing. Learning to control yourself under stress isn't easy, but is curable through understanding yourself in great detail, to the point in which you unlock your magic. smile

You are a respectable person as a whole, but you're sometimes at the mercy of others without realizing it.

dont talk like a Chinese fortune cookie:P
i warn them and i tell them why i kill them, it carries a strong message
if they ignore me, is kinda the same, time is a precious thing, and sharing your resources, time, should be appreciated, not argued or ignored

kinda the games fault that you dont have time to talk, i consider it a succes if people come to forum and complain on me or even thank me, or both same time without realizing it was me, i can analize what i did wrong, or what could of been done
yesterday my sister asked over and over where home, as a baby boy couldnt say much, only repeating 'no' when she say 'here?', ofc she asked mother who was older but wasnt hard to see she is new at game, she made a kiln on a wrong spot, but remaking it would of been kinda waste of time, was kinda an error on her part to go snaring and raising kids in the wild as it made me insecure about what to do, i made bowls and filled them with berry, then tried to make tools. she lost 3 kids at least, what i seen, and the one niece alive was new player as well, she starved looking at how i make the iron tools, guess its interesting how i throw stuff around, and make hammer and axe from one fire
she ate the berry bowl way too fast and i placed the next one a bit further and didnt state her to eat, or where it finds it or how to get food for herself
so kinda felt bad for her. cant blame myself, that run was meant to be doomed, cold biome, bad spot, one of you starves if you talk too much and wont get tools before it gets too late, so need a bit of cooperation
too many kids, repeating stuff makes even worse, multiple lifes, no help, no appreciation, even worse.

as for bigger cities and sponges:
reward and punishment, its an unnecessary risk killing others, cause others might retaliate or kill you on cooldown, most of this people would die on their own, so im only focusing the ones who are able to eat, feed themselves but what they do is hindering others work, its gets too much sometimes, ofc if others are assholes or too many people run around, i dont waste time to explain or warn over and over
if they kill you is mostly because of your gear, not because of your acts or because they care about the other person

im not really based on feelings, i never kill cause i feel like, even if someone rude, or dirty talking
but if they dont work and talk back instead saying sorry or asking something, hinder your or others work, and refuse to communicate, they need to go, i seen weird acting babies, they end up to be a big sponge, griefer,killer, generally my kids are well instructed and not so cocky or they starve near me, saves time and resources

you can get away with sponge mentality but dont be surprised if gets you killed

Board footer