One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-19 20:51:42

hihibanana

Having Fun and Messing Around is NOT Griefing

Playing with objects nonsensically

Playing with babies (and giving them back to their caretaker)

Playing with the glitched "----------------------------------------" message

These are what I've done to have people yell "GRIEFER" with a knife in hand, stabbing me without hesitation. Playing around like this is NOT griefing. It's having fun and enjoying the game.

Do you yell "GRIEFER" at roleplayers, talking about who gets the crown next? Groups of people sitting there crying for when a family member is dying? People trying to find things for their gravestones? None of these help the village. Is it griefing? NO. There is no excuse for killing someone for doing something harmless, having fun, and enjoying the game.

People sitting around doing nothing is NOT an excuse to kill someone. They are NOT griefing. You can yell at them, sure, but don't kill them. I swear, people are just coming up with excuses to kill eachother because they feel like killing someone.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-19 20:53:13)

#2 2018-08-19 21:07:42

Mirelli

Re: Having Fun and Messing Around is NOT Griefing

People who sit around doing nothing but eating and role playing are sponges and they really should be killed. They just eat and don’t help the civ advance so they’re just another mouth to feed while everyone else works. I’ve been killed for doing the same thing when I’m bored but I don’t get mad because I would do the same thing lol. There’s nothing wrong with having fun with your lives as long as you’re working too.

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#3 2018-08-19 21:09:50

Auner

Yah I've been seeing this mentality too.

Like I was born in a town with a lot of spare clothes and backpack. Trying to signal "Put this backpack on me" by clicking on it- they tell me to not hump clothes hmm ??

Also as long as you dont hump other players- have fun being ridiculous! I personally took up humping a goose and then had a baby and declared him the goose the father. My children were amendment on protecting their dad, the grand kids were introduced- and i spent my last few moments alone with father goose just holding each other until my death. Everyone was happy we were able to spend quality time together. Like- it really doesn't take much extra thought to make it more ridiculous than disturbing. It is a video game.  Like it's one thing if they're humping all the things- but it's another story if they're in love with commitment!

Watch behaviors of people, if not changey ways or story-line line, consider cursing/killing 'em.

So many teenagers. Gah.

Jason is there anyway to-- ask for the credit card holder's email, and if they get cursed a bunch of times have an automatic email send to the account claiming "Your behavior has been noted on our systems" stating that other players have reported bad behavior in-game. Atleast THIS way you can tell their mama.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#4 2018-08-19 22:20:31

I am Pharo

People sitting around doing nothing is NOT an excuse to kill someone. They are NOT griefing. You can yell at them, sure, but don't kill them. I swear, people are just coming up with excuses to kill eachother because they feel like killing someone.

Sitting around doing nothing, or spamming for "years",
is arguably sponging which is a form of griefing
If someone asks a player who isn't doing anything productive
(especially at times of famine or at the dawn of a new age when most focused labor is required to survive and/or grow)
multiple times with no impact to action, no change in duty,
especially when paired with disdain...
well, then that my friends,
that's a stabbin'.

Spamming objects instead of farming:
that's a stabbin'.

Stealing a mother's baby is kidnapping,
and that's a stabbin'.

I swear, people are just coming up with excuses to kill eachother because they feel like killing someone.

As OP can attest to, it seems like we are finding "people are just coming up with excuses" not to be productive for their society.

Do I want to kill villagers?
No, I really don't. 
It puts me in danger, from starvation and scared villagers. 
Executions frequently cause players to stop what they are doing,
start talking to understand the justification of said execution,
and more often than not,
rallying against the keepers of basic law and order,
like me. 
That is just the risk I bear being a keeper.
You're welcome.
I'd rather be black smithing , building, or tending sheep.

I DO want villagers to help our society flourish,
but very often famines/food crises are caused
by people not doing direct harm,
but rather endlessly bullshitting.

I am not endorsing slaughtering people in their 50s,
who should be freely allowed say their goodbyes
and tie up loose ends
("Here is where i have a hidden bow and arrow, knives, etc... Rabbits are south west, Iron is..., etc...")
in the final moments of their life.

As a player, Jason asks us to figure out how we,
both as individuals and as a community,
are going to handle griefing.

And as of right now, talking and curses aren't an effective deterrent,
and the game is only progressing, giving us weekly updates with more to do
and more and more to be responsible for.

So, I and other like minded individuals in the community (shout out to Mirelli)
have decided to
always stab and shoot griefers,
and people who's roleplaying includes being non-working tyrants,
or non-working *fill-in-the-blank*

Love,
Pharo

Edited to give words "griefing" and "griefers" a well deserved poo color.

Last edited by I am Pharo (2018-08-19 22:41:16)

#5 2018-08-19 22:35:20

Turnipseed

I am Pharo wrote:

Sitting around doing nothing, or spamming for "years",
is arguably sponging which is a form of griefing
If someone asks a player who isn't doing anything productive
(especially at times of famine or at the dawn of a new age when most focused labor is required to survive and/or grow)
multiple times with no impact to action, no change in duty,
especially when paired with disdain...
well, then that my friends,
that's a stabbin'.

Spamming objects instead of farming:
that's a stabbin'.

Stealing a mother's baby is kidnapping,
and that's a stabbin'.

I swear, people are just coming up with excuses to kill eachother because they feel like killing someone.

As OP can attest to, it seems like we are finding "people are just coming up with excuses" not to be productive for their society.

Do I want to kill villagers?
No, I really don't. 
It puts me in danger, from starvation and scared villagers. 
Executions frequently cause players to stop what they are doing,
start talking to understand the justification of said execution,
and more often than not,
rallying against the keepers of basic law and order,
like me. 
That is just the risk I bear being a keeper.
You're welcome.
I'd rather be black smithing , building, or tending sheep.

I DOwant villagers to help our society flourish,
but very often famines/food crises are caused
by people not doing direct harm,
but rather endlessly bullshitting.

I am not endorsing slaughtering people in their 50s,
who should be freely allowed say their goodbyes
and tie up loose ends
("Here is where i have a hidden bow and arrow, knives, etc... Rabbits are south west, Iron is..., etc...")
in the final moments of their life.

As a player, Jason asks us to figure out how we,
both as individuals and as a community,
are going to handle griefing. 

And as of right now, talking and curses aren't an effective deterrent,
and the game is only progressing, giving us weekly updates with more to do
and more and more to be responsible for.

So, I and other like minded individuals in the community (shout out to Mirelli)
have decided to
always stab and shoot griefers,
and people who's roleplaying includes being non-working tyrants,
or non-working *fill-in-the-blank*

Love,
Pharo

Seconded

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-08-19 22:42:24

hihibanana

That's honestly a disturbing mindset, and you probably should stay away from this game. If you're so stressed out about what people aren't doing, then I feel sorry for your gameplay experience. I've played this game enough to know that it is more an issue of disorganization, than lack of participation, that can kill a society. If everyone decides to smith, explore, rabbits at the same time, the berries die, and suddenly there's a famine. Everyone is farmers, but suddenly there is no more soil (no shovels and tech) and there's a famine. If you're spending time harassing people for not doing anything, to the point of ending their gameplay experience, you don't have enough time to organize your villages. And we wonder why we don't have railing systems connecting bustling cities already. Most people have fun when they're in the middle of working. The rest are new players, AFK, or are learning a new skill in the game (looking items hints, etc). There is not going to be anyone doing nothing for the sake of doing nothing. Killing someone due to that assumption is downright insanity.

Edit: You would rather have some sort of psuedo-rule kidnapping, rather than psuedo-rule anti-triggerhappy stabbers (coming from the same people that grab your baby and try to kill them if there is "overpopulation"?)? If this isn't self-serving, I don't know what is. Perhaps a bigger meaning to this is, when does this game stop becoming constant work, and instead become about settling down and enjoying the fruits of your labor? When can we enjoy ourselves in this so-called-you-always-have-to-work-or-you're-griefing-game? Is this still a videgame, or a game where people can express how entitled they are to power? "I've worked so hard, and if you're not working as hard as me, I'm going to murder you." Rather than, "let's give us a reason to play this game, and work hard." Do I have to spell it out for you?

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-19 22:57:13)

#7 2018-08-19 23:01:38

Auner

Yah you guys are crazy. I find this all interesting because of it's relationship to the word 'genocide'.

If someone is working hard and stops-- you give them the benefit of the doutb. Many times, my cat pukes/knocks over water/laundry must be retrieved to avoid getting dumped on the floor.

To kill someone over for possibly just going AFK and will come back and work is -insane-

Also- that's going to limit new players- because if you fuck something up really hard- you might get called a griefer-- so you just sit and do nothing and get called a griefer.

You guys are facists "WORK FOR THE SYSTEM OR I'LL KILL YOU!" honestly it's good to allow players to relax, make up folklore and have a story-line to the game play.

#8 2018-08-19 23:04:54

hihibanana

No kidding.

#9 2018-08-19 23:10:37

startafight

tbh id prefer having ppl who sponge while rping than sponging in silence. while its frustrating watching ppl do nothing i think just killing everyone who does takes away from the fun of the game. i just played a game where i was the only girl in the camp n i popped out a lot of newbies n kept a whole lot more than i generally think is wise (i think i kept around 5 and 4 lived to adulthood).

i couldve slain all the grandkids who did nothing but eat berries but that wouldve been a boring end to my life. instead i spent the last 10 minutes screaming "water!!!!!! water the berries!!!!! water em!!!!!!" and it got a lot more kids to start doing shit instead of sitting back n munching.

ofc we still had munchers but i think communicating with ppl is part of the fun. whats the purpose of killing someone without telling them why they died? they wont learn from the experience n itll take longer for them to grasp the basics of balancing fun rp with actual contribution.

either way, everything comes at a price i suppose. i let the kids do whatever n now i can see the starvation deaths climbing in my family chain. but if i killed em a lot more wouldve run off n maybe the line wouldve died out anyways

however i did see a kid a few games back just standing in middle of a berry farm holding a bowl of berries. doing nothing but eating em. he didnt even dirt or water anything he just ate. i suicided out of that run right away

#10 2018-08-19 23:11:45

I am Pharo

Strawman Arguement Figure 1.

hihibanana wrote:

That's honestly a disturbing mindset, and you probably should stay away from this game. If you're so stressed out about what people aren't doing, then I feel sorry for your gameplay experience. I've played this game enough to know that it is more an issue of disorganization, than lack of participation, that can kill a society. If everyone decides to smith, explore, rabbits at the same time, the berries die, and suddenly there's a famine. Everyone is farmers, but suddenly there is no more soil (no shovels and tech) and there's a famine. If you're spending time harassing people for not doing anything, to the point of ending their gameplay experience, you don't have enough time to organize your villages. And we wonder why we don't have railing systems connecting bustling cities already. Most people have fun when they're in the middle of working. The rest are new players, AFK, or are learning a new skill in the game (looking items hints, etc). There is not going to be anyone doing nothing for the sake of doing nothing. Killing someone due to that assumption is downright insanity.

Who are you, and now Auner, to falsely assume that I,
a known griefer hound (OHOL player who executes griefers),
lack the ability to spot nor communicate with someone who is
AFK, looking up recipies, what-have-you,
from someone who is griefing?

hihibanana,  I guess.

If you're so stressed out about what people aren't doing,

I am stressed out by what people are doing. 
They are killing are productivity, they are distracting other players, they are wasting our IRL time.  May they think about what they've done before being reborn... they won't, you have not.

AnD wE wOnDeR wHy wE dOn'T hAvE rAiLiNg sYsTeMs cOnNeCtInG bUsTlInG cItIeS aLrEaDy.

According to
hihibanana: The griefer hounds,
and not the
griefers
*cough*(hihibanana)*cough*
are to blame...
Yeah?  No.

Last edited by I am Pharo (2018-08-19 23:29:47)

#11 2018-08-19 23:43:39

Tarr
Banned

Not every life is going to be a productive life but you have to understand everything you're enjoying in game is built off of someone else's hard work. People get annoyed when they see you just standing there doing nothing for long periods of time. If you go full sponge mode people very much have a right to be angry that they're working to make things better for everyone and you're just crunching bones and eating berries for sixty minutes.

I get it. I've had lives where I've done the same exact thing and when murdered I wasn't the least bit mad about it. You don't have to be a work horse every single moment you play the game but understand that people don't want you wasting their time. I spent an hour and a half of my time collecting rabbits (Was born a Greathouse then born to Turnip) and I can't even tell you how frustrated I was to see people make themselves full sets of fur clothing while living in a desert.

The people who scooped up the furs did NOTHING their whole lives. We didn't expand our food sources, we didn't expand the road. But hey, I'm sure those people deserved to sit around with all the furs on while children starved out because they couldn't take the time to do anything.

The point is it's a game about coming together and working together. No one wants to work hard all the time but please don't do jack all.

Also, the reason we don't have railing systems is that they're just big dumb toys with almost zero real value for their cost. No sane person is going to spend two iron mines to make a track that a human with a cart can out perform and won't get griefed by some random dude with a shovel.

TL;DR Have fun but don't be a giant sponge.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-08-19 23:58:44

I am Pharo

It seems some of you are confused by the term "standing around doing nothing"
and are, wrongfully but understandably so, correlating it with being AFK,
which is odd, because if someone is AFK, and they dont feed themselves...
they die on their own. 
In fact I've fed AFK players, hoping to keep them alive during a possible connection error,
or things that need attention IRL.

By sitting around doing nothing, I mean,
hanging in town, just eating...
No, not someone observing and learning... someone who is willfully refusing to contribute EVER in their lives.

Not talking about kids under 10 who have barely enough bars to explore outside of town naked with no backpack.
Not talking about the elderly.
We are talking about that 13-40 year olds who don't do anything of significance...
And yes, I consider being a care-giver/nursery-maid labor,
so don't further confuse yourselves.

If you want written laws, I'm sure the community can conjure up something on the lines of the TEN OHOL commandments.

AND:

Not every life is going to be a productive life but you have to understand everything you're enjoying in game is built off of someone else's hard work. People get annoyed when they see you just standing there doing nothing for long periods of time. If you go full sponge mode people very much have a right to be angry that they're working to make things better for everyone and you're just crunching bones and eating berries for sixty minutes.

I get it. I've had lives where I've done the same exact thing and when murdered I wasn't the least bit mad about it. You don't have to be a work horse every single moment you play the game but understand that people don't want you wasting their time. I spent an hour and a half of my time collecting rabbits (Was born a Greathouse then born to Turnip) and I can't even tell you how frustrated I was to see people make themselves full sets of fur clothing while living in a desert.

The people who scooped up the furs did NOTHING their whole lives. We didn't expand our food sources, we didn't expand the road. But hey, I'm sure those people deserved to sit around with all the furs on while children starved out because they couldn't take the time to do anything.

The point is it's a game about coming together and working together. No one wants to work hard all the time but please don't do jack all.

Also, the reason we don't have railing systems is that they're just big dumb toys with almost zero real value for their cost. No sane person is going to spend two iron mines to make a track that a human with a cart can out perform and won't get griefed by some random dude with a shovel.

TL;DR Have fun but don't be a giant sponge.

ALL OF THAT

Thank you, Tarr.
You a real one.

#13 2018-08-20 01:15:31

I am Pharo

If someone is working hard and stops-- you give them the benefit of the doutb. Many times, my cat pukes/knocks over water/laundry must be retrieved to avoid getting dumped on the floor.

To kill someone over for possibly just going AFK and will come back and work is -insane-

...Uhhhh, yeah.
We do give them the benefit of doubt.
But Auner and hihibanana are claiming otherwise because #reasons #postulations..

Also- that's going to limit new players- because if you fuck something up really hard- you might get called a griefer-- so you just sit and do nothing and get called a griefer.

Again, you are assuming, again wrongfully two things -
one: that we don't talk to people,
and two: that new players don't apologize when they mess up.
They do.  And sometimes ask for help.  They live, and learn.

yOu gUyS are fAcIsTs

Oh, word?!

Do I really need to explain how this is not fascism?

Fascism - a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

(source  - Dictionary.com)

I think you have me, Pharo,
confused with the societies that say things like:
"Kill all (brown or fair skinned) people,"
or the few that get overthrown
by the roleplaying troll/shiteater
DICKTATOR

Led by a dictator?
No, what we do requires no leader, and has none.
Also, we kill Dictator, so you're welcome.

Forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism?
Opposition to sponging and grief?
Check-ity-check-check-check

Criticism?
Nope
We don't suppress criticism.
And "You killed ___, i'm going to kill you"
isn't criticism, that is a clear threat ,
and that's a stabbin'.

Regimenting all industry?...
A - Nope, anyone can do something that needs to be done...

just.

go.

do.

it.

B - Show me the player that can even regiment just 10 other players in doing just ten roles,
and I'll give that player the OHOL Charismatic Commander Award.

Emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism?
No, not one of us promotes either types of behavior
So, by definition: we are not fascists. 
However, also by definiton,
Auner and hihibanana are demonstratively misguided.

Congratulations.

#14 2018-08-20 01:43:38

Auner

I am Pharo wrote:

So, by definition: we are not fascists. 
However, also by definiton,
Auner and hihibanana are demonstratively misguided.

Congratulations.

Lol thank you for the dictionary. Yah you need a dictator to have fascism, and applying that word imperfectly to game play you are the dictator who "uses forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy." - Wiki's sum of Fascism

The metaphor isn't perfect, it's just what's there for the circumstances of how you are in the game on griefers. Like working for the civiliazation would be working towards teh 'society and of the economy' and having a direct desire to kill that which does not adhere to making the society tick- well it's really NOT that bad of a metaphor. It's just not a true cross over.

#15 2018-08-20 01:57:23

sanchez

Until that day comes and ppl learn that having weps around is good thing ima go on rampage.
Or just bake pies like i always do.

#16 2018-08-20 02:31:17

bENdI

Yeah, everything has to be working
work work work
fuck your fun
you play this game only to work
work or don't play
no fun allowed
what is this "fun" anyway?
if you spend one second not working you will be killed
no idc if ur just afk or resting, work until age 60 or be stabbed in the gut

Yeah, just as long as someone isn't sponging for longer than 1 minute at a time, it's not a warrant for a stabbing.
If they are sponging, fucking hell, scream at them until they stop but if they keep siphoning food, go ahead and stab them.
But if people are just messing around? What if they're just taking a break? What if they're just a baby? Don't stab or shoot unless they're actually harming the community in the long run.

#17 2018-08-20 03:05:41

I am Pharo

Auner - the perpetually misinformed wrote:

Lol thank you for the dictionary. Yah you need a dictator to have fascism, and applying that word imperfectly to game play you are the dictator who "uses forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy." - Wiki's sum of Fascism

The metaphor isn't perfect, it's just what's there for the circumstances of how you are in the game on griefers. Like working for the civiliazation would be working towards teh 'society and of the economy' and having a direct desire to kill that which does not adhere to making the society tick- well it's really NOT that bad of a metaphor. It's just not a true cross over.

Damn, bro.  You are an innovator.
I've never seen someone decry someone a fascist in one breath only to back pedal that into claiming its a metaphor.

Saying "you are an asshole" is probably ten times stronger a "metaphor" than your trashy attempt at figurative language.

And, about the dictionary... You're welcome. 
Try using it sometime, since much like your posts, wiki is not a credible source of information.

Your metaphor is untrue. 
Your analogy is untrue. 
So you are wrong, and can go fuck yourself, too.

Hey, that rhymed.

Please sit down. Metaphorically.

Love,
Pharo

#18 2018-08-20 03:45:44

I am Pharo

Strawman Arguement Figure 2.

bENdI wrote:

Yeah, everything has to be working
work work work
fuck your fun
you play this game only to work
work or don't play
no fun allowed
what is this "fun" anyway?
if you spend one second not working you will be killed
no idc if ur just afk or resting, work until age 60 or be stabbed in the gut

No one, not even Pein, probably the biggest griefer hound of us all, is making that argument. 

Did you not read this whole bit I wrote earlier? (I'll highlight some key parts)

Pharo wrote:

It seems some of you are confused by the term "standing around doing nothing"
and are, wrongfully but understandably so, correlating it with being AFK,
which is odd, because if someone is AFK, and they dont feed themselves...
they die on their own. 
In fact I've fed AFK players, hoping to keep them alive during a possible connection error,
or things that need attention IRL.

By sitting around doing nothing, I mean,
hanging in town, just eating...
No, not someone observing and learning... someone who is willfully refusing to contribute EVER in their lives.

Not talking about kids under 10 who have barely enough bars to explore outside of town naked with no backpack.
Not talking about the elderly .
We are talking about that 13-40 year olds who don't do anything of significance...
And yes, I consider being a care-giver/nursery-maid labor,
so don't further confuse yourselves.

Wow, like I somehow knew someone would bring up the "they're just a baby?" argument, that no one here is actually debating,
except the ones making strawmen arguments.

I clearly stated the scenario you mentioned
is not what anyone here in defense of executing griefers
is trying to achieve, nor is it an unintended repercussion. 
Sponging, not doing a thing but eat food your whole life, isn't the same as taking a break, or being afk.

And if someone's idea of fun is role-playing as a tyrant, monarch,
or another authority figure, and think they can stand in town the whole game,
or kill people who aren't down with their role-playing...
guess what, me and other like minded players are going to rebel,
and execute you, your whole squad, or go out trying to.

and stop making straw man arguments, folks.

Good Night,
Pharo

#19 2018-08-20 04:12:59

Turnipseed

You dont have to only work your whole life, but you cant only RP. Tend some berrys. Farm a lil. Talk while you do it.

But if all you do is eat and talk thats griefing. Someone might kill you.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#20 2018-08-20 05:36:55

LaughAtlantis

I was killed today for not doing THE SPECIFIC WORK that my adoptive mother was telling me to do. It’s my game to play too. If I want to live a life where I go hunt rabbits, let me do that. I don’t have to water wheat fields (which I did) or make berry bowls (which I didn’t do - and by the way, crazy not-my-Mom, I’d you’d just said “do you know how to compost? I woulda said yes and done it, but your micromanaging was a little much for me).

Standing around and just eating is a form of griefing. But geez, let people show their colors. I died at SIX because I didn’t want to do the task my stupid non-mom was giving me, because it was the first decent spawn I’d had today. Geeeeeez.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#21 2018-08-20 05:53:30

Go! Bwah!

I feel ya, but I don't think this game is going to become what you and I want it to be.

I recommend giving up on the game and moving on.  It worked for me :-)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#22 2018-08-20 06:34:55

hihibanana

What is wrong with you, Pharo? I'm not trying to be mean, but you should really see someone about that attitude. Always trying to pinpoint it one someone else. Not taking responsibility for your actions. It seems you're trying to use all of these words to manipulate people, to distract them from seeing your true stance on the matter, because neither I, nor anyone, can really see your stance. All it seems you're doing is defending yourself, and putting people between you and some invisible "attack", when no one is attacking you at all. We're asking you to stop assuming people that do nothing are griefing, because whoever came up with "sponging" has no idea what they're talking about, and is making up excuses to kill people. And you're supporting it. And other people are supporting it. Just don't. You don't know the true short-term and long-term ramifications of assuming someone is doing nothing, and killing them. It's bad for the game, the community, our progress in the game as a whole, and, most importantly, our enjoyment of a game. You cannot ignore these consequences, because I'm sure you know they're real, and have felt them. People on the forums that talk about murder like it's fun. People on the forums that talk about killing griefers like it's fun. People on the forums that complain that they can't kill griefers easily, people on the forums talking about how they cannot murder other people easily. People do not care about the game, or its progress. They want it to be a stress-relief game, where they can kill anonymously without consequences. And that's scary. And it's scary to have people like that in our community... no matter what argument you have, killing people in this game is not excusable.

If you haven't felt it, you are a psychopath. What is more important? That you can contribute to the game, or that someone else can have fun in the game?

And please don't try to use some fancy poetry. It doesn't work on me.

Last edited by hihibanana (2018-08-20 06:39:31)

#23 2018-08-20 07:54:25

Tarr
Banned

I think straight up denying the idea of sponges is goofy to begin with. There are indeed people who never do anything besides do exactly what the name states. They just straight up suck up the available resources in a town. These sponges or "berry people." are generally just newer players who haven't cared or been taught anything besides tending to bushes if even that. They are the first people to drop whenever soil isn't dropped off near them as they don't understand the concept of foraging for food when things start to turn bleak and a famine arises. Sponges will eat up all a towns resources (the only real place they can thrive) before dying out and moving to eat on the next towns bushes.

Why is it that sponges are first taught to take care of bushes? Probably because taking care of a massive berry farm is boring. Well why do people make large berry farms if no one wants to take care of them? Because if you don't have a food these players can recognize they end up dying. New players are needed to be kept around because they can give birth to more useful people. Berry bushes are an incredibly vicious cycle that cause massive famine if not properly tended to which again kills all the newer players.

When I see someone running around in town like a goose with its head cut off I generally ask if they are a new player. I go out of my way to try to teach these players basic farming and something other than just how to be stuck glued to a bush for sixty minutes. I try to show them that the big brown crock I left with a bowl is food that they can eat. When I started playing in March I had no idea how to do most the things even after watching people play the game for two straight weeks. I remember a time where everything was basically handed down from one person to another, a time where you had to show new players the ropes or else nothing changed in your lifetime.

I'm never going to sit here and just say "Kill all the sponges, sponges don't deserve to have any fun what so ever." but I understand how frustrating it can be in game to watch what should be a thriving and expanding village just stagnate as people essentially just waste resources as they eat/water/soil bushes.

Older players need to try to be a little more understanding of newer players and try to teach a little when able and newer players need to take some sort of initiative to learn about the game from sources other than just their grandmother.

fug it’s Tarr.

#24 2018-08-20 08:17:01

Mad_Villager

Guys you should not kill someone just for not helping out 100%. Think about it this dude probally spent 20-30 min and you are just going to take that away with your arbitary thoughts.

Guys just relax for a sec.

#25 2018-08-20 08:23:47

hihibanana

Tarr wrote:

I think straight up denying the idea of sponges is goofy to begin with.

Sponges is derogatory and encourages harassment and bullying. Don't use a term that's charged negatively. What you mean to say is newbies. Newbies shouldn't be killed, harassed, or made fun of. Whoever is making fun of a newbie (or planning to kill them) obviously has confidence issues and needs to work on them. No one else is responsible for your confidence issues.

Board footer