One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-14 15:19:01

AlzWell

Younger Players

So, I love this game and sometimes I will let my 10 and 11 year old play too. 
It helped over the summer keep up their reading skills and has improved their typing. 
We all know we are playing in a world with other people and so I try to moderate where my real life children are in the game and how those other players that surround them are behaving. 

My youngest daughter loves to run the fire daycare and tend to the children.  She also taught me all I know about sheep!   
It pleases me to see how happy she is playing this game and how she conducts herself in this anonymous world. 
She was so excited the first time people started saying "I Love You"

It disappoints me to see other players yelling at her character.  And watch as she is trying to type an answer or TAB through crafting options; and the other person starts swearing at her and using racial slurs I am finding myself having to explain because they have NEVER heard them before.  She was in tears the other night because someone cursed her for not being seen as working quickly enough.

I understand that I am subjecting them to this and, as I said above, I am actively involved in parental guidance with this MMO. 

It would be wonderful if there was some kind of a box to check when logging in to play that gave you the option of a "family friendly" server. 
Logging on this might mean:
* a bit more of a chill attitude
* a communal agreement to maintain appropriate language
* discourage adult themed drama
* a more realistic expectation for the behavior of real life children

I have been reading the forum for a while, but I just created a login to type this.  It is with hope that i put this into the universe and see...

#2 2018-08-14 15:30:12

TheRedBug

Re: Younger Players

I'd love being able to play with your child, i like playing with new people, and i am very patient too ;D

I think you should explain to your daughter to stand up for herself, and that the opinion of people who seek evil should not even affect her in the slightest.

Even in real life, some people will bully others. Some will hard others. This game is great to teach your daughter how humans can be terrible creature sometimes.

What your daughter has to realise is that these mean people aren't people you should be afraid of, nor should you be sad when they say mean things to you.

These people should be pitied over. How can someone gives that kind of attitude towards others... how can these mind of people be so obcessed over hurting others to conduct themselves in this way?

Tell your child that she did nothing wrong. Tell your child that in the game and 8n real life, these poeple exists, and she shouln't feel bad because of them.

She should feel bad FOR them.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-08-14 15:38:48

Aurora Aurora

TheRedBug wrote:

I'd love being able to play with your child, i like playing with new people, and i am very patient too ;D

I think you should explain to your daughter to stand up for herself, and that the opinion of people who seek evil should not even affect her in the slightest.

Even in real life, some people will bully others. Some will hard others. This game is great to teach your daughter how humans can be terrible creature sometimes.

What your daughter has to realise is that these mean people aren't people you should be afraid of, nor should you be sad when they say mean things to you.

These people should be pitied over. How can someone gives that kind of attitude towards others... how can these mind of people be so obcessed over hurting others to conduct themselves in this way?

Tell your child that she did nothing wrong. Tell your child that in the game and 8n real life, these poeple exists, and she shouln't feel bad because of them.

She should feel bad FOR them.

I feel bad for you for being mean to me yesterday

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#4 2018-08-14 15:40:07

TheRedBug

this is completely off topic, and i never be mean to you, you know i love you XD

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#5 2018-08-14 15:48:59

Aurora Aurora

TheRedBug wrote:

this is completely off topic, and i never be mean to you, you know i love you XD

I aint lazy ass :(

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#6 2018-08-14 17:05:24

pein

i would say that should be an age limited server, but most 12 year olds are the biggest assholes

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-08-14 18:05:28

MultiLife

Ticking a box of family-friendliness to have family-friendly sessions would require some sort of automatically executed server rules, some sort of moderating or some sort of managing. Censoring. Ways of keeping out people who would target these places especially as they include people who are tried to be kept safe. It's almost like a flag of "this place has all the people you want to bully for maximum reaction and damage" as that's the kind of people we are dealing with in the extreme side of the spectrum. Without rules that are forced onto players, it's just another territory for griefers and bullies to target.

I wish I could play on family-friendly servers. I'd love to play with people who just love to play and build too. It's people who get tired, bitter and annoyed who I want to steer clear of, no matter how pro they are. I want to experience teamwork, explore and learn without having to read speech bubbles of immature talks about sex slaves... I've witnessed sex roleplay too, ofc to me, an adult, it looked idiotic, but a kid really shouldn't have to witness that.

While it is great that there is the reality check of the world for children, as it can build strenght too, I'd probably not let my kids play this game as it is: they are playing with anonymous adults mostly, and well, I've been on the Internet long enough to know where that ends all the time, as sad as it is. But I am not a parent. I just don't trust people enough to let children play with them. Multiplayers be multiplayers... in good and bad... There are ages when children can be affected tremendously in negative ways so I'd probably feel like I'm risking a bit too much for it to be worth it. Kids will learn about the world through other means, we can teach them, no need to let them run to the mouth of the bear when you can bring them up without questionable game communities.

TL;DR: I'd leave kids out of the playgrounds of anonymous adults, just in case they experience something that affects them in a negative manner due to their age. If the game manages to develop ways to ensure it's safe enough, then it'd be more okay to me.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-15 10:42:34)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2018-08-14 18:37:24

startafight

i think there was a tutorial a while back for how to create ur own server. if u wanna set one up and post it as a relaxed server that might work, or u might get trolls flooding the place just to make it inhospitable for kids hmm

not sure if words can be censored or such in this game (i cant code for shit) but the behaviour of players really cant be controlled... maybe put them on 2hol? their community seems a lot more peaceful just b/c it has less ppl in it. or any of the servers with less ppl i suppose (servers 3+ generally have less ppl playing on em. there was some way to see how many ppl were on each server but i cant really remember rn...)

there were a couple of threads back abt how to select ur own server n idk if it still works but heres the two i found just from googling
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=572
https://www.onehouronelife.com/forums/v … hp?id=1468

and heres a list of private servers, not sure how many are still active
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=689

how to make own server, not sure if it still works
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=507

Last edited by startafight (2018-08-14 18:37:58)

#9 2018-08-14 20:33:09

CynderR

I agree with MultiLife.
I dont think this is a good game to let your children play. Its like letting your kid join VR chat, random video chat or play gta.

The idea of a friendly server is a good idea.... but i like the idea of trolls being banished to a troll only server. But of course this would require moderators....

#10 2018-08-15 02:30:36

annjust

Make it into video guys, I love the little one playing games, their words and reaction always warm my heart.

Board footer