One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-14 05:55:37

LaughAtlantis

Anyone else losing their faith in humanity?

The game is making me depressed.

In the past few days, I've watched people kill others because:
- someone else named their baby
- someone wasn't watering berries fast enough
- someone added too many berry plots
- someone refused to give them a crown (that may or may not have existed)
- someone asked too many questions
- the new baby was a boy, so it was easier to just kill him and hope they got a girl
- they had a butter knife that allowed mass murder... so why not? (MANY TIMES OVER)

I've seen kindness in the game. I have.  But I see so much ugliness - and I play games to take me out of the ugliness of everyday life. This... this isn't. I'm becoming very disillusioned. Is there any way to have a kinder, gentler OHOL? Maybe a "no killing" server? Or is that just naive? 

Even the forums have become poisonous, with - in essence - guides to griefing.  Has anyone else experienced this feeling of depression with the game's path/people's behavior within it?  If so... what's keeping you in the game?

Last edited by LaughAtlantis (2018-08-14 05:56:15)

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#2 2018-08-14 06:01:50

Star

Re: Anyone else losing their faith in humanity?

There are servers with PVP disabled.

Bob <3

#3 2018-08-14 07:22:29

pein

welcome to the internet

where granny thinks her daughter is more important, than you the grandkid who built the half city in previous life, and the knife is a family treasure
where your baby girl expects to run after her, and when borns back as a boy shot you cause why not
where people hate you for not giving everything you made for free
and where your daughter kills you with a knife you gave cause you killed a griefer
they abandon you like a worthless thing in a big city then kill the only person who feeds a kid who stands in a good spot and yells for minutes to be fed

some of things you told is punishable by death
like extending berry fields is just annoying, leaving a free tile between would make sense, if you suck at math or lack the knowledge that more refills are better than more bushes, you deserve to die
obviously you dont see it trough, where people place the soil, the water and the empty bowls, how they gonna pick the middle of the bush field, cause you got no intention of doing that, you only care about your false pre update information that more bushes are better and a town needs a huge berry field to feed every kid

and if you referring to my guide, that is because you all cowards, and assholes, it actually helped people to deal with griefers, and i been thanked for
yes, it will be a spike of killings, and then people get bored of killing everybody, but in the meantime it changes the balance of successful dodging and retaliating, cause a lot of players are experienced but they just got the bad mentality

and then hopefully will be duels instead of coward snipers who are only brave when you are on a slowdown
cause killing someone makes you the killer, killing the killer without hearing him out is the same thing
kills are against griefers
if you hinder any way others work, if you refuse to communicate or  you use up more than you produce is a good enough reason to be killed
and kills carry a strong message, you wont do that again, knowing the risk, and you ask the obvious question why shouldnt you do that
cause a lot of griefers dont even know that they are griefing, by stealing your things, by doing stupid stuff, by  delaying on your project

its been always like this, just you get bored of the same thing happening over and over
and you see more, see it before happening and you can maybe prevent it

there are a lot of skilled players, its fun to play with them if you respect boundaries, you can play twins/triplets/quadruplets
or play in a discord city

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-08-14 09:22:38

JonySky
Website

Anyone else losing their faith in humanity?

Every day, when I go to work, when I walk down the street, when I talk to people

This is a game where the reality of society is reflected

#5 2018-08-14 10:36:47

Anshin

No. This is a game. The world is full of good and helpful people. Everything we have is built on the efforts of humanity. This game is a gift. This life is a gift. Appreciate it.

#6 2018-08-14 10:44:30

annjust

Yes I am, I feel depressed, ppl killed others for small reasons which will proved only the killer's prejudice , so many ppl lacking respect for life.

#7 2018-08-14 14:32:30

Lotus

I haven’t been to a single civ lately where I haven’t a.) been murdered needlessly, b.) witnessed a grief take down the entire civ, or c.) seen a bear come into town. Bonus points for more than three.

Kind people need to be appreciated nowadays since they’re getting more and more rare. I don’t see the appeal in griefing. I have never griefed because I’d be guilty for literal days. How do griefers not feel bad...?

#8 2018-08-14 14:51:57

Lum

Being able to say I love you to a mother, who says I love you in return, keeps me going in this game. The simple fact that we can bond with people and feel attached to family even though we would probably not care about each other irl/hate each other for our beliefs and identities makes me like this game.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#9 2018-08-14 14:53:44

Baker

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=864385

Died to 10-year-old kid who randomly stabbed me, If I was faster I could've survived but I was caught off guard. I don't know why she went for me, She probably just wanted to kill people.

I tried to tell the other townies who she was and for someone to pick up my knife kill them but she starved anyway. I hope it was worth it killing some random male, I spawned in another town anyway so It didn't bother me.

Then there was Aurora (Most likely) trying to arrange a gay marriage when I was born, she named me Arnold. She got pissy when I ran to a better tile and let me die but I came back as someone else's daughter. I didn't even run that far from her, like a few tiles away lol.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#10 2018-08-14 14:58:36

carbon

Are the griefers noobs or veterans who exhausted the core gameplay elements?

#11 2018-08-14 15:01:47

TAIOAN

Anshin wrote:

No. This is a game. The world is full of good and helpful people. Everything we have is built on the efforts of humanity. This game is a gift. This life is a gift. Appreciate it.

Yeh, I expect.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#12 2018-08-14 15:34:22

pein

the griefers mimic newbee mistakes, so yeah, they are more experienced, but it only takes a bit of knowledge and a lot of bad intention
and of course you wont remember the kid who went to a suicide mission with a shovel cause you told him is a waste to dig graves
but you will remember Minnie adam who killed 2 people and throw 11 in an enclosed pit xD btw Adam family died out 6 gen after me, so basically next 60 minutes, so i wasnt the only one who knew they were assholes, when people arent even able to feed a berry to a crying kid standing on a perfect spot, and call him stupid names, its pretty obvious that the revenge gonna happen
lot of us never starts the game like 'i gonna kill the next lineage', but you encounter so many selfish dumbasses
the noobs will die anyway and you wont really get killed by them but the pro babies gonna remember

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-08-14 17:04:57

YAHG

Sounds like a bunchy of whiny bitching to me.

Why should people be the way you want em to be?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-08-14 18:46:18

MultiLife

In games, there is this interesting balance of fantasy and real life. Some games are made for escapism. Some games are somewhere in-between escapism and realism. And some games deliver really raw and real stuff, I think "Papers, please" is around this side of the scale: some players enjoy it, some get sad and stressed out (too much is too much).

Sometimes a game can be ruined if it goes "too real" and introduces imbalanced negativity and issues of reality; it doesn't filter enough things to make room for the positivity of the escapism side and reminds the player too much of reality. Some games make remarks of real world issues, but often they are shrouded in fantasy or the issues distance themselves from the player far enough to not get them stressed as they play. Some games make sure to explore the realism throughoutly and worry little over the stress they may cause with the exploration of really serious issues and sad times.

The point I am making is that there is a peculiar imbalance in OHOL. The game would undeniably be great without the grief, murder, distrust, racism, hate - all reality issues - as the escapism side is "tarnished" by that. It's just not harmonious in a way; the issues of reality like racism, hate etc. are things brought from outside of the game: from players, real humans of the real world. The game doesn't express these things by itself, it merely has the tools to have the players express them. That's the thing of multiplayers. There is little to no ways of balancing out the things brought in by players. The reality issues keep on pushing onto the escapism side where many people would love to hang out without reminders of the negative reality but can't as the sides overlap constantly (meaning the escapism players keep encountering the negative reminders of reality in an environment they don't want them in).

I dislike the company of impatient, immature, negative, angry people: that's why I avoid them in real life. In games, I expect to be able to do that too, but multiplayers can't give you that power unless you, holding power from the outside, use that power you have and take your leave. Yes it is sad how that's the solution, but people are people.

Have I lost my faith in humanity? I'd say so (not because of a game), as I don't want to bring kids to this world. I think a merciless world creates merciless people. The world is depressing (no I am not depressed!), and while people make many things worthwhile, they also ruin many things. This is why I have only so much energy for ANY multiplayer game. People make them fun, AND ruin them. big_smile

LaughAtlantis wrote:

... what's keeping you in the game?

I enjoy how different my lives are, I write down all of them. I still need to experience a life of a boar and wolf hunter. Currently my favorite has been a rabbit hunter life (wonders and dangers of wilderness paired with the calm and silence of the non-populated areas of the game world while being important and appreciated upon returns). I also get the dopamine rush when I know I have done well, saved a farm, city, someone else. I also like the idea of providing other people a game session; a life in an environment I have helped keeping up. Sort of like "I did so well, enjoy!". The heart warming kindness of other players is just the cherry on top, makes the cupcake sweeter but I don't need it every life. smile

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-15 11:05:55)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#15 2018-08-14 18:57:58

startafight

its funny how these posts pop up now and again with ppl coming to the same realization. there was someone a while back who also got dramatically sad abt the way they played the game:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1107

if u wanted reasons for why those ppl may have been killed well
- someone else named their baby - abandoned babies sometimes grow up to grief n kill their moms (for rp), or the camp may have been in middle of a pop boom n so they didnt want to keep the baby and contribute to a famine

- someone wasn't watering berries fast enough - this one can either be that the killer is a dick or the waterer was rping too much (people hate rp! its so fun tho hmm )

- someone added too many berry plots - this one is actually one of the bigger reasons for famines. when ppl put all resources (and space) into making massive berry farms that require 10 people to keep it takes away resources that can go to making carrots and wheat and corn (which are now also vital for animals and composting for more dirt - without dirt = famine! always!) and the person who brought dirt will now need to go out and get more dirt b/c instead of using the resources to upkeep the farm theyve spent it all. or maybe the person was gonna use the dirt for some other purpose. idk but its been pretty well agreed on that massive berry farms are living famines

- someone refused to give them a crown - this ones also just plain old rp

- someone asked too many questions - depends on the kind of questions. some ppl have bad experience with question askers who turned out to be griefers. in one of my other lives a girl kept asking questions and i found it cute so i gave her my stuff but she was murdered shortly after my death cos she didnt shut up sad

- the new baby was a boy, so it was easier to just kill him and hope they got a girl - this one depends on what the state of ur colony is. did u have only women in their mid-30s and no young girls? or one young girl who is new? then ur colony *needs* another girl to keep going. it seems mean but sometimes its necessary hmm

- they had a butter knife that allowed mass murder - this ones just plain ol griefing

#16 2018-08-14 19:23:34

CynderR

Most games provide an endless amount of amazing impossible moments, wow'ing the player. Human's tend to remember the bad moments over the normal.

You remember the times you got stuck in traffic for hours and think "wow driving to work sucks", but you never think "I got in a plane or car and traveled what would take a lifetime with no complications."

But yes, ohol has made me question humanity. I have had experiences that left me wondering why do i play this game or wondering what sort of sick person chooses to roleplay as well... im sure you have seen your share.

Somethings have actually left a mark on me, and left me thinking about them for days. These were mostly early on and the longer you play the more it becomes normal... unfortunately this game does desensitizes you, and i dont think this is the intent. Its no worse then gta, but ive been playing on mobile more often as there is less people playing and you can leave a knife or bow in the center of town and not get killed (mostly).

#17 2018-08-14 19:57:57

FloralAngel

I'm the opposite way! I like seeing people (mostly) put aside their differences and work together towards a greater goal. Yes, griefers exist, but a lot of them get killed, don't they? So at least a lot of them get justice. Yes, bad things happen in game, but that's the same as in real life. It sucks, but we need to work past it.

Then again, I put a conscious effort into looking at the good side of things. Only focusing on bad things hurts my mental health, so I tried to make it a habit to not do that. Maybe that attitude just bleeds into this game.

Kind of dumb but trying my best!

If you're named after a Dragon Age character, I'm probably your mom. My sympathies.

#18 2018-08-15 07:10:07

Go! Bwah!

Why would I lose faith in humanity because a few people - most likely teenage boys - choose to prematurely end a game for a few other people?  I mean, we have genocides and so forth to destroy faith in humanity; why focus on something as trivial as OHOL?

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#19 2018-08-15 11:41:13

Trick

LaughAtlantis wrote:

The game is making me depressed.

In the past few days, I've watched people kill others because:
- someone else named their baby
- someone wasn't watering berries fast enough
- someone added too many berry plots
- someone refused to give them a crown (that may or may not have existed)
- someone asked too many questions
- the new baby was a boy, so it was easier to just kill him and hope they got a girl
- they had a butter knife that allowed mass murder... so why not? (MANY TIMES OVER)

I've seen kindness in the game. I have.  But I see so much ugliness - and I play games to take me out of the ugliness of everyday life. This... this isn't. I'm becoming very disillusioned. Is there any way to have a kinder, gentler OHOL? Maybe a "no killing" server? Or is that just naive? 

Even the forums have become poisonous, with - in essence - guides to griefing.  Has anyone else experienced this feeling of depression with the game's path/people's behavior within it?  If so... what's keeping you in the game?

I can relate to this to some extent.  There are definitely some really toxic, horrible players that play this game, and it certainly can be discouraging.  I mean... there are some things you simply don't say, even if it's 'just a game' (it speaks to you as a human being in real life, IMO).

That said, I try to focus on the good players who, truthfully, way outnumber the assholes.  If you look for them, you'll find them all over.  Try not to let your attention be narrowed in on the trash people.

#20 2018-08-15 14:28:27

carbon

I play the game as a simulation, so even the most brutal of players, I look at the situation with intrigue. How do people respond to a griefer? What kind of rules does the community put in place when they encounter a murderer? What actions are in place to prevent griefers from causing large damage? I just love that people are coming up with new solutions using the systems in place.

I think that the main reason why people are so susceptible to emotional trauma is that some of them invest heavily in the roleplay element in the game, thereby the avatar is an extension of their own self.

Board footer