One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-11 08:16:12

Neo

Wind Family/ Trying to work out cows

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=837106

This life was mostly just to test out cows, I was lucky enough to get a town with them. The town had alot of murder and a cursed dude etc, I just wanted to learn cows.

I noticed that they follow you so a Pen breach isn't so bad, Also means we can transfer them to different pens easier then sheep. Would the sheep pen setup still stop cows from following you out?. The towns pen was made of actual fences and I had to make an airlock so they wouldn't follow me out.

So I think theres a way to make bread and butter but I haven't seen it. I think they could be expanded Upton just a bit, We should be able to slaughter them for beef and leather for new clothes.

Am I right to assume that getting domestic cows is the same as sheep or is it a different process.

People kept letting the cows out and one kid even used a shovel on my fences.

Sorry I didn't do much besides make stew early on, Was just trying to learn cows. As for the town, in my elderly years some of my fellow seniors said the town was getting better after a lifetime of murderers and morons.

Luckily the stews I made as a kid was more then enough to keep me alive. At least I was only sponging off self made food.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-11 08:29:18)

#2 2018-08-11 08:47:54

Mirelli

Re: Wind Family/ Trying to work out cows

To make bread, you make regular dough, then let it sit for a minute or two until it puffs out and becomes leavened. Plop it on a plate and cut it with a knife. Then cook it in the oven like you do with pies. Then slice the bread with the knife.

Butter is more complex and I haven’t done it myself yet but I *think* this is how it goes: Shoot a bison with calf (you need two arrows), take the calf with rope, feed it a bowl of corn kernels. Feed a domestic cow a bowl of corn kernels and wait for the calf to walk away. Use a bucket on the cow to get milk. Let the milk sit for a minute and it will separate skim milk and cream. Use a bowl to take out the skim milk. Then use a skewer on a bowl of cream to make a bowl of butter. You can then put one slice of bread on a plate, butter your knife and put it on the bread.

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#3 2018-08-11 08:58:57

pein

sheep also follows you without lamb
every animal same kind of movement, exept maybe wild horse, i seen it run out of a pen, guess cause of higher move range and the biome blocks it from exiting, so if you see a small patch of desert you can park wild horses there with one lasso then make more later

just make side entrance not corner cause all i see is people fill it and opens
xoo
xxo
odx
xxo
xoo
x-wall/pit
o-open tile
d-door/berry bush/filled pit,/fence with no firebrand

the pit version allows to throw lamb in it, and you only need to block sideways 1 pit

i found out bison needs arrow to be shot, maybe more, cause its massive

bread seems interesting, dont spoiler me

all i seen it baby killers for pop control when we had plenty food
griefers
ants who run around from bear instead of planting milkweed or scouting out
this is becoming standard

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-08-11 10:02:18

Neo

Mirelli wrote:

To make bread, you make regular dough, then let it sit for a minute or two until it puffs out and becomes leavened. Plop it on a plate and cut it with a knife. Then cook it in the oven like you do with pies. Then slice the bread with the knife.

Butter is more complex and I haven’t done it myself yet but I *think* this is how it goes: Shoot a bison with calf (you need two arrows), take the calf with rope, feed it a bowl of corn kernels. Feed a domestic cow a bowl of corn kernels and wait for the calf to walk away. Use a bucket on the cow to get milk. Let the milk sit for a minute and it will separate skim milk and cream. Use a bowl to take out the skim milk. Then use a skewer on a bowl of cream to make a bowl of butter. You can then put one slice of bread on a plate, butter your knife and put it on the bread.

Yeah just got another town with bread. Is it a viable food or should we just use them for pies instead.

When I was making bread I had to keep annoying knife lady by constantly asking her to cut my bread. So I guess the Baker now also needs the knife if they intend to make bread.

Too bad i got mauled by a bear after my first bread.

#5 2018-08-11 10:36:17

pein

well its unsustainable in current for as each milk gives a dead calf which cant be stored

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-08-11 11:22:50

Tarr
Banned

I really wanted to play with the cow but by the time I was able to get the thing in its pen in gen 3 it was much too late to get to fool around with it. The only reason the cow was in the middle pen was because I wanted to show it off to everyone in town, the damn bison bolted right out of the pen and to the south.

Cows/calves can't be roped to drag them around. Once your cow is out of your pen you need to let it just manually follow you to get it back into said pen.

As noted each bison takes two shots to kill and hungry bison calves eat corn kernals. Also so it seems butter knife wounds are incurable atm so cows are the end game weapon of choice.

I feel like cows are close to pig tier when it comes to animals.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-08-11 11:36:43

Neo

Tarr wrote:

I really wanted to play with the cow but by the time I was able to get the thing in its pen in gen 3 it was much too late to get to fool around with it. The only reason the cow was in the middle pen was because I wanted to show it off to everyone in town, the damn bison bolted right out of the pen and to the south.

Cows/calves can't be roped to drag them around. Once your cow is out of your pen you need to let it just manually follow you to get it back into said pen.

As noted each bison takes two shots to kill and hungry bison calves eat corn kernals. Also so it seems butter knife wounds are incurable atm so cows are the end game weapon of choice.

I feel like cows are close to pig tier when it comes to animals.

I really hope Jason gives the other domestic animals some love to make them worthwhile.

Sheep provide food, clothes, Soil and medicine while cows, pigs and geese are a waste of space.

#8 2018-08-11 11:54:22

Anshin

From what I could see cows have timed babies like sheep, so the milk production is free.
Once the baby cow moves away from the mother you can get a bucket of milk and take bowls of milk from the bucket and drink them.
Bread and butter are trolling because they're only edible with knives, and otherwise they take up all the available plates and bowls.

#9 2018-08-11 13:35:07

Tarr
Banned

Anshin wrote:

Bread and butter are trolling because they're only edible with knives, and otherwise they take up all the available plates and bowls.

Bread is actually really good if you have a knife. I wouldn't say bread is day one popcorn broken but it's closer to on release sauerkraut. You are putting in real low amounts of effort for pieces of food that give eight each (only goes to twelve each with butter) and it's like seven slices.

Yeah you gotta have a knife to make bread but we had adults just living off the compost excess.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2018-08-12 00:24:20

Jk Howling

personally I've found milk alone to be pretty damn great food. You get 120 foods per bucket of milk [10 bowls of milk per bucket, 12 food each bowl]. That seems pretty solid so long as you have a bucket available.. You just have to make sure to take a bowl of milk out immediately so it doesn't separate.

One soil = 4 corn cobs = 4 buckets of milk = 480 calories per soil.

Compared to Stew, which gives 64-96 calories per soil, depending if you had to grow a fresh corn plant or already had some laying around. It also takes up more water, not only to grow the supplies but to prepare the stew itself.

I saw a cow pen setup that seemed pretty good. It only has 2 spaces in it- one for the domestic bison, one for the domestic cow. I suppose a one-space pen with just a domestic cow would work too..

You feed the cow, it has a calf, calf despawns I assume bc no place to run, milk cow. No dead babies to worry about. Though maybe I'm wrong, and the baby cow just never leaves mom? Not sure, only glimpsed the pen moments before I died..

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-12 00:37:56)

-Has ascended to better games-

#11 2018-08-12 01:15:11

Tarr
Banned

Yeah I'm sure you were looking at one of my cow pens I set up. The calf will just despawn as it has no available tile to go to after birthing. Same thing happens with all animals when they give birth. The thing about milk is:

1) You can milk a cow multiple times in the three(?) seconds you have after the calf disappears. I very easily managed four buckets of milk doing this by myself after feeding the cow once.

2) Each bowl of whole milk is fourteen food (you're missing the +2 invisible bonus.) HOWEVER - You need to scoop out a bowl of milk within forty seconds of milking or it will become separated milk. I generally just keep multiple bowls near the milk and scoop out what I need or have a sip or two.

I've never managed to get a village to actually sit down and drink it with me but anytime I've made multiple buckets of milk I could afk the rest of my life just teaching people or trying to inform them on the glory of milk.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-08-12 01:44:55

Jk Howling

Tarr wrote:

Yeah I'm sure you were looking at one of my cow pens I set up. The calf will just despawn as it has no available tile to go to after birthing. Same thing happens with all animals when they give birth. The thing about milk is:

1) You can milk a cow multiple times in the three(?) seconds you have after the calf disappears. I very easily managed four buckets of milk doing this by myself after feeding the cow once.

2) Each bowl of whole milk is fourteen food (you're missing the +2 invisible bonus.) HOWEVER - You need to scoop out a bowl of milk within forty seconds of milking or it will become separated milk. I generally just keep multiple bowls near the milk and scoop out what I need or have a sip or two.

I've never managed to get a village to actually sit down and drink it with me but anytime I've made multiple buckets of milk I could afk the rest of my life just teaching people or trying to inform them on the glory of milk.

I'm pretty sure you were the one who showed me how to get milk and make bread a bit ago, haha. I mainly remember the "I can just afk for the rest of my life" line from the lady who was teaching me, and explaining how good it was. Wish I remembered my name that life. I ended up dying to someone who stabbed me with a butter knife after luring me into the woods [and being rather stupid enough to follow him]

Thanks for taking the time to show me the new update <3

-Has ascended to better games-

#13 2018-08-12 02:03:32

Tarr
Banned

It's not a problem, I generally try to pass on any useful knowledge I can. You were Harry II that life and I was indeed the lady teaching you milk and bread (Dasiya Lita.) I really should have hid that knife a little better but live and learn.

And don't fret, I got Jack the kid who killed you as soon as he returned to town. Things were mostly peaceful for the rest of my life there.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer