One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-06 01:56:06

Mirelli

Things You Shouldn't Do (A Guide)

I decided to make this post because of the huge influx of noobs and murders I've seen lately. These are things a griefer knows well but they don't care about the experience of their fellow players. This is for the noobs who just don't know any better and wonder why they keep getting murdered.

If you don't follow the tips in this list, you might find yourself bleeding out from a knife or arrow wound. Some players aren't so forgiving as they've experienced it so often, they immediately believe you to be a griefer.

If you see someone bringing home rabbits and they don't have a pack on their body, don't touch the furs. Odds are good that they're an aspiring trapper and once they can make their own pack, they'll be able to bring home twice as many to clothe you and more. Just be patient, or go out and snare your own rabbits.

Are you a new mother? You find a perfect temperature tile or fire very close to the forge and plop your baby down right there, but that's actually one of the worst places for them to be. Babies have huge heads and it makes it difficult for a smith to see behind them. Smithing is timed and you must work quickly to be efficient, and the job is ten times harder when you can't see the things you need to quickly grab or hammer. Don't argue with the smith, just be a good citizen and nurse your children elsewhere.

Shepherds can be very protective of their pens. Most of the time, the shepherd is armed with a knife, so tread carefully. You should never kill all of the sheep, or the mouflon. You should never shear all of them. You should never put dead lambs in the trash pits. The pits will fill up and the sheep will be able to escape if you do. Dead lambs take a little while to disappear on their own but if you desperately need space in the pen, just plop them on the ground outside of the pen.

Babies don't need weapons. I know it seems cute for a grandmother to pass on her backpack and knife to her newborn granddaughter, but it's a horrible decision. For one, you don't yet know what kind of player that baby is. And two, another evil player could simply swap their own pack with the baby's, and now the griefer is armed with a knife. On that note, also beware of being an old person with a knife. Griefers can swap clothing with you too.

Want to hunt wolves, bears, or boars? You need a bow and arrow. But its common courtesy to not walk through town with a loaded bow. It scares people and makes them think that you're a threat, and you could be killed for it. If you're truly not trying to kill people, carry the bow and keep the arrow in your pack, explaining what you mean to do.

See a milkweed farm? That is specifically for ropes since there's no other way to make it. If you want to sew something and you need thread, don't take it from the farm. Use a ball of thread that you can make from using a drop spindle on fleece.

Don't make fur clothing. Use fur for backpacks and make shoes, hats, and sweaters out of wool instead. On that note, don't give babies backpacks unless all of the adults have one too. Adults are more likely to make use of them while going on long runs for iron, clay, rocks, or anything else. Babies should stay close to home and tend to the farms while young anyway.

You have a baby with black text. This means the baby has been cursed, which means that TEN other players have decided they are an evil player and should be watched closely. I would personally recommend starving the baby. It's very hard to get enough players to curse someone, and if it has been achieved, that person does not deserve to play in your town. Do yourself and others a favor and eliminate the threat as fast as possible. I'd even recommend killing the baby so it's locked out of your lineage and you don't have to worry about other noobs raising it.

Feel free to add more to this list. These are only things I could come up with off the top of my head, but I hope it helps you avoid being murdered for petty crimes <3

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#2 2018-08-06 04:15:47

SweetMamaSun

Re: Things You Shouldn't Do (A Guide)

Thanks! This is very helpful!

#3 2018-08-06 04:33:12

pein

dont bring home rabbits xD
make your pack there, seriously saves you time and annoyance
i seen two sets of fur at home, i took one, people still cried i stole their pack, while they had time to take it, if i dont, someone else will
complaining wont do much, just be prepared for worst, hide it behind tree and make sure you got flint chip and needle with yarn or thread before cutting it open
dont bring it home if you need it
and you need it, nothing selfless giving a kid your clothing if you dont have one

take shears and hide in pack, feed sheep and take the apron, then give back shears, others can wait a  few minutes, same thing, complaining wont work, aprons are powerful to stash one exact item you need, pies, needle, knife, etc.

dont dig pits in a grave pen, yes i seen this many times, pits are not for lambs, they are pseudo walls, you can put lambs on the graves and they despawn and then you dont have trouble
also put stones back to grave if you took it, they hold sheep inside

before cutting a sapling make a seed of it, cutting with a flint chip, then cut it
sapling farms are for letters
U letters are for fixing graves
dont cut all the field and cut the U-s to J-s cause makes them useless
fixed graves are permanent walls holding items, and wont fly away as unfixed ones

give packs and aprons to workers instead of your virtual kids
also give knife to shepperd/compost maker/ baker
those are thinking about future of town, your kid might not
reward work, not virtual connections

if you are a man, you dont need clothes as much as females, give/loan to girls when you need female successor, instead of bitching over it
marriages can work too, having someone to heal and feed you while you get them clothes and loot

dont take tools too far, others might need it
tell to someone or just make sure you return after you dont use it anymore, tell the smith if broken

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-08-06 04:46:58

Jk Howling

Mirelli wrote:

You have a baby with black text. This means the baby has been cursed, which means that TEN other players have decided they are an evil player and should be watched closely. I would personally recommend starving the baby. It's very hard to get enough players to curse someone, and if it has been achieved, that person does not deserve to play in your town. Do yourself and others a favor and eliminate the threat as fast as possible. I'd even recommend killing the baby so it's locked out of your lineage and you don't have to worry about other noobs raising it.

I kinda wanna add onto this:

If a child is acting sketchy- jumping out of your arms frequently, dodging being grabbed, humping weapons before it can pick them up, refusing to speak, avoiding being named- it's best to just let it die. I may even go as far as to suggest telling your new babies to say something and abandoning those that don't. The consequences of keeping a sketchy child and it turning out to be a griefer are worse than letting an innocent die and respawn.

I made the mistake of deciding to let one of these cases starve too late. It managed to get to a warm patch and survived til it got its hands, then proceeded to run off with the nearest tools [bowdrill, hatchet] from our second-gen camp. Was a cursed kid. We were fucked anyways since she was my last child and the only female but still hmm

Followup: If your baby is trying to suicide, for gods sake don't run after it and try repeatedly to "save" it. Most people suicide if they don't like the camp they're born into, whether it be a really big town or a badly placed early camp or just a straight up eve. You grabbing it as it tries to run off only wastes your food and time. You aren't going to change its mind, because chances are it's not going to stick around long enough for you to say anything. Let it go and move on.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-06 04:51:23)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2018-08-06 04:57:38

Neo

1. Don't feed other people's babies unless it's an emergency. If I leave a baby to die it's probably because they didn't behave or the town is overpopulated, I don't want them coming to kill me later or the civ running out of food.  Even worse if your male or old, shoveling food into an not needed baby during a famine.

2. Avoid eating carrots, They are better for making compost, sheep food and pies sometimes. Too many times people just munch all the carrots and we run out of soil.

3.  Do not take tools and items that someone else is clearly using. If you need it then you should ask the person first. Also be sure to put tools back once your finished, don't just leave an axe in the woods.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-06 05:12:34)

#6 2018-08-06 06:10:48

Matbat

Mirelli wrote:

Don't make fur clothing. Use fur for backpacks and make shoes, hats, and sweaters out of wool instead.

Have to call you out on that.
Wool clothing is super expensive. SUPER EXPENSIVE. (So many berries and carrots, main gripe.)
On the tech tree it shows that fur clothing is a few percent better for each piece than wool, which is why I'm saying this at all. (accompanied with the below points)
Rabbits are often incredibly plentiful and a good hunter with good (and a lot of) grounds can bring multiple cart fulls of rabbits back home in a life time.
I 100% agree to not make clothing during eve stages and only backpacks but once a civ has wool thread people should be getting their clothing, fur clothing.

I myself focus on using wool for bandages and thread, because it always feels bad when a civ has sheep but no medical supplies because people are making
wool clothing whenever they possibly can, and then someone leads a bear into town mauling half the population and you have to watch them all die.

one of the times that civs should be turning on wool production for clothing is when an end game+ civ has way too many resources and HAS to find a way to use it up or else people will start killing each other for fun because there's nothing to do.

#7 2018-08-06 06:40:54

TheRedBug

Don't all the corn and the beans, otherwise TheRedBug cannot cook stew for you

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#8 2018-08-06 07:35:33

tana

If you are compost maker, never water all the carrots at once, but one row at the time. If you do, all the carrots will grow at once, and if you have a lot of them, it's really a pain to harvest all, but not only it will it clutter all the space around, but people will start munching on them when they see them and are in need of food, and they'll be gone before you can make compost out of it.
If you are not the compost maker, then don't water carrots at all, it happens too often that all carrots are watered by someone bored wanting to be "usefull" then not harvested cause that person has moved on to something else and the actuall compost maker was probably buzy somewhere else (since they often combine the job with shepherd and helps in the pie making) and now all the carrots seeds, so we have no carrots for compost anymore.
On the subject of carrot seeds, if you see a field of seeded carrots, check around if some are already lying on the ground, if it's the case, don't pull all the carrot seeds, it will only clutter all the space, better to let them despawn, and if none are around, then just pull one row, 7 seeds is more than enough to start the process again.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#9 2018-08-06 07:53:08

JonySky
Website

I would add:

Do not put the wooden tiles in the desert ... these tiles generate a little heat, better place them in humid, cold places and where people are working.

When you believe that your civilization is going well, and you have solved the problem of hunger, tools, compost, etc ... do not stay calm looking at how well your home works ... this is simply the calm that precedes the storm ..
At this moment is when the worst murderers and griefers appear! ... prepare a hospital, with everything necessary to heal people, teach people of confidence how to heal a wound. The doctor in a big city is very important!

never feed twins unless you need girls to continue your lineage

If you have just been born in an early camp, do not look at how everyone works while you eat all the food reserves of the camp, grab a basket and go to collect wild food ... that will prevent you from dying of hunger and your people do too ... when you are older you can perform more tasks

Do not be a machine to make children! If you still do not have a stable food farm, it does not make sense to have 10 children in the camp.

if you do not ask for help ... do not put your hand in the tasks of others

if you are a boring griefer ... consider playing another game ... you are making a fool of yourself

#10 2018-08-06 09:49:22

Lum

About babies. It might be controversial, but I run after my babies who try to suicide? Why? Because oftentimes, once they see that I do care about them, they won't mind living here. It's happened a lot. Same for black text babies. It's happened only once and the kid was grateful that I saved it.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#11 2018-08-06 10:00:01

JonySky
Website

Lum wrote:

About babies. It might be controversial, but I run after my babies who try to suicide? Why? Because oftentimes, once they see that I do care about them, they won't mind living here. It's happened a lot. Same for black text babies. It's happened only once and the kid was grateful that I saved it.

you know how hard it is to get the black text?
If someone gets that level of curse, it's because it must have been a pain in the ass ...
Do not just think of yourself, be aware that there are other people working hard in your camp ... and a bad decision of yours can ruin the work and the fun of many other players

If a child appears cursed ... he has to learn the lesson, the curse is just for that.

#12 2018-08-06 10:25:46

Catfive

JonySky wrote:
Lum wrote:

If a child appears cursed ... he has to learn the lesson, the curse is just for that.

This

#13 2018-08-06 10:31:36

pein

Matbat wrote:
Mirelli wrote:

Don't make fur clothing. Use fur for backpacks and make shoes, hats, and sweaters out of wool instead.

Wool clothing is super expensive. SUPER EXPENSIVE. (So many berries and carrots, main gripe.)
On the tech tree it shows that fur clothing is a few percent better for each piece than wool, which is why I'm saying this at all. (accompanied with the below points)
Rabbits are often incredibly plentiful and a good hunter with good (and a lot of) grounds can bring multiple cart fulls of rabbits back home in a life time.
I 100% agree to not make clothing during eve stages and only backpacks but once a civ has wool thread people should be getting their clothing, fur clothing.

I myself focus on using wool for bandages and thread, because it always feels bad when a civ has sheep but no medical supplies because people are making
wool clothing whenever they possibly can, and then someone leads a bear into town mauling half the population and you have to watch them all die.

one of the times that civs should be turning on wool production for clothing is when an end game+ civ has way too many resources and HAS to find a way to use it up or else people will start killing each other for fun because there's nothing to do.

wool is free
fur costs rabbits
rabbits are limited, are far
soil is unlimited with compost and people plant too many bushes, all it costs is a bit of work, so technically a bit of carrot

people will fix the berry anyways
even if not, makes a few kindling, which is good, today i cut out all the yellow bushes and we had enough kindling for my lifetime
people didnt had to haul too much soil to fix berries which we didnt really used

i dont think you can sustain a city of 15 people with enough fur, never seen everyone in backpack

the only thing you should make is backpacks, loin cloth and pouches
yes pouches, saves a few bowls, can be put in pack or box, can be  left on the side of berry to have easy acces to watering them

im kinda always makign myself an apron and i try to make shoes and hat

now cheapest hat is straw hat, which uses some wheat and a ball of yarn with needle
fur shawls, fur hats are annoying, when you got no backpack and someone makes shoes
fur also decays, wool wont

i used to be a great trapper who made 8-10 packs under a lifetime when i was starting the game, sometimes you get selfless heroes like that, but mostly you wont
people should be tasked, directions labeled, snares got back to camp
lot of things can go wrong
even if you could do a rabbit hat, the heat bonus wont worth it

as you can make seal skin coat, fur shawls and shirts are useless

shoes are expensive for a tiny bonus
and hats can be replaced with straw hats

now you will have a few of it and can be good as style or job indicator or heat bonus, but deserts replaced fire long ago, the functionality of an apron is much better than a heat from seal skin

and a city is cit after has compost, literally no other job is that much important, people could feed sheep, compost and everyone have wool clothes, and as it wont decay it will eventually be enough

the content is limited, thats other issue, but that doesnt make fur better, people wont do adobe rooms or baskets cause it decays, same goes for fur, they only prefer fur cause they dont know how to feed sheep or too lazy to do so

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-08-06 15:13:39

Turnipseed

If you die by a bear there is only two explanations.

1. You deserve to die due to ignorance.
2. Some douchebag pulled the item out from under you.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#15 2018-08-06 15:32:23

Lotus

Don’t snare a rabbit hole unless it’s a rabbit family — snaring a single rabbit will render the hole abandoned and unusable.

#16 2018-08-06 15:49:01

bENdI

Matbat wrote:
Mirelli wrote:

i think they meant that you should make aprons

#17 2018-08-06 17:21:55

Jk Howling

Lum wrote:

Legit no suiciding baby cares whether you "care" about them or not. They're not gonna stay just because a random stranger on the internet thinks they should live in a place they don't want to live in. It's just annoying as fuck being picked up repeatedly and having their next life prolonged.

90% of babies don't suicide because they don't think you "care," they suicide because they don't like the place or people they spawn to. An early camp in the green? A giant thriving city? An eve without a camp site? A person who obviously doesn't know what they're doing? All very common suicide situations. Having their virtual stranger "mother" care about them isn't a reason for anyone to stay.

#18 2018-08-07 01:05:44

pein

jason shouldnt do shouldnt do things
and shouldnt forgot he did some

like broken tools went into pits cause was no way to repair them
now we can reuse them and they still go into pits

#19 2018-08-07 01:13:39

pein

Jk Howling wrote:
Lum wrote:

Legit no suiciding baby cares whether you "care" about them or not. They're not gonna stay just because a random stranger on the internet thinks they should live in a place they don't want to live in. It's just annoying as fuck being picked up repeatedly and having their next life prolonged.

90% of babies don't suicide because they don't think you "care," they suicide because they don't like the place or people they spawn to. An early camp in the green? A giant thriving city? An eve without a camp site? A person who obviously doesn't know what they're doing? All very common suicide situations. Having their virtual stranger "mother" care about them isn't a reason for anyone to stay.

well a person doesnt know that what he is doing is wrong, if it would know would do it differently

a simple sentence woke up a lot of people on forums : 'get soil to water, not water to the soil'
around apocalypse
i think its an asshole move to run away instantly
with the information you got: your gender, a part of city you see
i let kids starve who run away and return
i asked one person why wanted to suicide, he told me he want to go back and revenge a kill
chances are light to go back, i dont think kills stop you from spawning back but still, its a stupid reason to go back
i also hate babies who doesnt understand that im forging and got no time to pick them up instantly, go to the side and wait 10 seconds, you wont die on a desert tile, im not sorry for them if they suicide
i like when i dont have to follow them on baby legs
or if they give me a tour but im fine with 3 feedings on a desert and im on my way

you should give 3-4 seconds, and they should tell about generation, what camp needs, what it has, sometimes you kill off a lineage of a pro player suiciding

and dont call me Hope or Faith cause thats the most stupid cliche after calling a baby Water on a noobcamp with no water

Last edited by pein (2018-08-07 01:14:40)

#20 2018-08-07 20:19:53

Lily

I save pretty much all my babies if I can, but if someone was cursed I would really have to consider that. If I was a lone Eve in the wilderness, then sure, why not? I would help them survive. In a crowded town with lots of other people? I would worry too much their a griefer.

#21 2018-08-07 20:42:22

Jk Howling

pein wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:
Lum wrote:

well a person doesnt know that what he is doing is wrong, if it would know would do it differently

a simple sentence woke up a lot of people on forums : 'get soil to water, not water to the soil'
around apocalypse
i think its an asshole move to run away instantly
with the information you got: your gender, a part of city you see
i let kids starve who run away and return
i asked one person why wanted to suicide, he told me he want to go back and revenge a kill
chances are light to go back, i dont think kills stop you from spawning back but still, its a stupid reason to go back
i also hate babies who doesnt understand that im forging and got no time to pick them up instantly, go to the side and wait 10 seconds, you wont die on a desert tile, im not sorry for them if they suicide
i like when i dont have to follow them on baby legs
or if they give me a tour but im fine with 3 feedings on a desert and im on my way

you should give 3-4 seconds, and they should tell about generation, what camp needs, what it has, sometimes you kill off a lineage of a pro player suiciding

and dont call me Hope or Faith cause thats the most stupid cliche after calling a baby Water on a noobcamp with no water

Frankly I only suicide if I find the situation not to my liking, which takes a few seconds of observation at least. I'll always stick around if I seem to be the only female of the newest generation. I'm not that cruel

But giant cities with all the jobs taken and stacks of food piling up? Boring.

An eve setup in the middle of green with no water or desert anywhere near? Gonna die out anyways.

A freshly spawned eve with no campsite yet? Probs gonna abandon me to search.

I'll stick around in these situations sometimes if I'm a girl and they keep me, if only to have a "pseudo-eve" run and relocate to start my own camp, whether it be in a better location or simply an outpost of a larger city.

But my problem is with mothers relentlessly running after babies that go to suicide. It's a waste of time for both the child wanting to be reborn, and the mother, as well as her hunger pips. If a baby doesn't want to live, you can't force it to. You might be able to convince it if you can type fast enough, but running around picking it up doesn't help.

Stupidity as a child is another matter, and for once I agree with you. Its not worth my time feeding a baby who refuses to stay put on a warm tile and tries to follow me everywhere when I tell it to stay. Or babies that sit on a warm tile and spam F every two seconds when I know for a fact their hunger isn't dropping that fast.

#22 2018-08-08 16:50:32

Jk Howling

Oh here's another addition to this guide. Someone touched on the topic earlier but I'm repeating it due to the amount of lives I've lived in with this problem.

Don't plant mass amounts of carrots.

People don't seem to keep in mind that every row yields 5 carrots, and that they're on a timer. Late, and you lose your carrots. Even later, and you lose your seeds as well. No town, no matter how big, needs ten rows of carrots. Especially if you're not going to be around to pick them all- which, from what I've noticed, most people who plant rarely are.

And just think about it. Do you really need fifty carrots just to make a few batches of compost, or make a few inferior pies?

No. You really don't.

Sure, there's carrot munchers to consider, but most of these noobs won't stray far from the main village, and won't be hanging in sheep pens or on the outskirt farms. There's also the yum bonus to factor in, but really, how many carrot-variant pies are you going to make, when you're only going to eat a bite from each?

4 rows of carrots at most is all you'll ever need growing at any given time. That's still 20 carrots, which is more than enough to go about your sheep feeding, composting, and pie making dreams, and still have some leftover to seed.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-08 16:53:56)

#23 2018-08-09 15:52:57

PeaGirl

Regarding fur bag and clothing. It highly depends if you are able to travel far, or have considerably lot of rabbits for at least 2 bags made. I find myself rather furstrated when I see rabbit furs gone especially in pre-eve times, when you need to get people more inventory to use for more efficient camp building, and I see those fancy rabbit furs shining in someone's head or pants. Perhaps add in "Do not touch the furs you did not gather, unless there is enough fur to make a bag. Leave bag behind if the hunter is still without any bag him/herself." and "do not cook rabbits as it is, unless really hungry, cook only few you need in dire."
Also, I wonder who was that child who wanted to be called Kratos, but I ended up naming Ophelia since it was a girl character? I hope that one doesn't mind me. I enjoy making fun of people sometimes when bored.

Oh yeah... and really big NOTE! Never, ever, ever snare lone rabbits! You only stab yourself with a needle the moment you stick that snare in there.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-08-09 15:53:59)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Board footer