One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-01 00:30:41

pein

Mini guide: berry farming

Its the most simple food in game now, comes in small batches, so people waste less. a berry is 3 food bars and 2 extra food bonus which is 5. still ideal for kids and old people have smaller food bar, wastes less calories for them, also newbies eat until full which can be one pie at 1 hunger bar
6 grows on a wild bush and regenerates 1 every 10 minutes, so its good to pick one off, or you technically lose it anyway
its good to leave one on bush, as courtesy, people dont see the berry on it but might see the bush so only pick last one from a WILD bush if you are starving- good early game strategy to bring food to camp, pick berries in a bowl and make new bowls, once you pick off the whole biome, you should have planted some of it
7 grows on a domestic bush, hover over to see if domestic or wild
domestic bush has 7 berries, and you should pick up the last one, and put soil on it after it goes darker green in color- 2 minutes /languishing/ 30 minute dying, after that 60 minute dead, if gone languishing put soil, then water it, this restarts the cycle for 8 minutes
best o pick it off in a bowl and put soil and water on bush as soon as possible
when planted takes 2 min to sprout, two min to grow out and 8 min to have berry on it, thats 12 minutes
so if you are an eve, try to plant and water as fast as possible, so your kids got food nearby, prevents suicides and deaths

eating one from bush, one from bowl both gives yum bonus

You need to pick off a berry from a wild bush(or domesticated one), hit it with a flint chip (hard to see it, just a black dot), put inside tilled row
dump a few baskets of soil, take a bowl, pick off one bowl of soil from each stack and make new stacks of 2 soil(3 is a waste, 2 requires 1 tilling, 1 requires two tilling-only do that when you got extra iron and a vein possibly), use a hoe on it to till it
put the seed in it, water it
fast way to get seeds is to bring a flint chip in basket, pick off berry, put down, use flint chip on it, right click to swap put in basket
or bring three berries in basket, right click basket, right click flint, left click, right click again to swap seed in hand, right click basket, repeat
get a basket of 3, hard to see so tell others there are seeds in it cause they might take it accidentally or might try to put stuff inside it
better to have soil prepared and use seeds up

choosing location for berry
if you not sure about it ask it
generally experienced eves chose a desert with ponds and short walk to a green biome
you need to keep at least 5-6 tiles away from the kiln, dont plant under it, they cant place items on a bush
free space is important
plant on desert if possible, its ideal food for kids and elderly which are both naked with small food bar, and people often talk while eating there
standing on a warmer tile even indirectly has the benefit of burning less food

ideally not more than 3 bushes should be in a straight line or column, as you can only put berries in it 1 tile away if you can place down a bowl or basket. near a wooden tile road  lets kids explore the city freely
also controls population so placing one small patch on a different side of city can be good
sheep needs some berry so having one around the pen is also good, also items on ground block animals, can be 5 bushes as well

the ideal would be checkerboard pattern, where you plant one bush every second tile, next line one offset
this way every bush has 4 free tiles next to it, was a weird map culling once, those bushes were great, you could put bowls, buckets and soil between the bushes, also you could click a bush and you wouldnt die on it

Little history(thats why some think differently, dont listen to them):

Berry had many updates

at first it was a trans generational food, it regrew every hour 6 berries, was kind of a tedious job for one bush, but with multiple bushes it gave enough food for everyone
then required water if you pick all the berries off,  to prevent this people left one on each
as water was harder to get

sheep was requiring full berry bushes so you had to go sometimes biomes away to get a few, some people ate berry from bowl, was such a big crime, often they got stabbed
wool costed only 1 or 2 or 3 so a full wool set of 4 items (hat, shirt, two shoes) was 7 fleece
as the carrot was main food, that part wasnt too hard to get

on the new water update, we got more initially stored water and required upgrading it to get even more
berry regrow was decreased to 8 minutes, with only watering it, so it was the best food, with some initial soil you could plant one then water it and could support huge populations
people were planting it everywhere
wool clothes became easy to do, just a bit tedious to pick berry one by one, one full set now costs 2-2-4-6=14 berry bowls
then as a balance jason added the soil requirement, the timer is still fast, but it requires a lot of soil to fix it, and it doesnt really worth planting more, rather fixing the ones you got already

still requires no tilling like carrot and is easier than corn, and newbie friendly
most people can eat berry and survive, sometimes you need a noob daughter to raise a smart granddaughter

with the introduction of new plants and yum bonus its better to keep it smaller in size
also lot of people got lag or just inexperienced, planting multiple small berry farms helps with harvesting, exploring city
if you got 9 bushes in middle, 9 on each four corners is better than having 60 in middle of city and you cant even put down a bowl
also people dieing on middle of bush, destroys clothes for good

no camp should have solely berry production, your max yum bonus will be 3-4 but mostly 1 or nothing
if you dont see water near bushe, might as well let it die off, in 32 minutes goes yellow and you can make kindling with a shovel, people ask for plantable trees, there you got, might be even good to plant some with sole purpose of making kindling
you can build a cistern near a desert patch and have a bucket to water it
you do it for the kids, not for yourself, you need to set up everything needed to fix it
compost, water bucket, few bowls
new players and young ones often stress themselves how to help and this is a good way to make them feel useful, they can dump soil and water on berry and eat it until they grow up a bit
you can place advanced stuff further away so they dont mess up your work
ideally for each bush you should have a bowl to pick it off

so remember: plant it on desert, pick al berries off in a bowl (some bushes can stay for yum bonus but once it has less than 3 berries, pick it off)
and restart it
based on calculation a city with compost and berry pies needs 14 bushes per person
when it works like clockwork, usually it wont
having 5 patches of 9 bushes, each corner and middle should be enough berry, if you focus on more refreshing, rather than more bushes
so pick it off, fix it, ask if needs expanding , generally wont
having too many means other crops wont have enough soil and water
standing there with full bushes doesnt get used. and no ammount of berry can save a population boom if people dont work

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-08-01 01:34:19

Catfive

Re: Mini guide: berry farming

That's excellent, not least because it mentions making the farm AWAY from smithing area. Same can be said of bakery, for god's sake people leave some space for each area and have the main fire separate from all of them.

Just as in RL, having space to work away from hordes of kids or neighbours is important!

I like the 3 by 3 idea in different locations but every town I come across just has the one huge berry farm!

#3 2018-08-01 04:33:58

FeverDog

Catfive wrote:

I like the 3 by 3 idea in different locations but every town I come across just has the one huge berry farm!

this is a really great point that should be taken up by everyone.  Definitely increases efficiencies in a number of ways.  At least if people want a huge berry farm there should be space between three bushes in a row.

#4 2018-08-01 08:04:30

pein

on heavy lag i couldnt even go 20 tile away so yeah , it matters, some might be hard workers with a slower pc

bakery actually costs 2 adobe
destroying gives back one
so all you lose is 1 adobe
you should relocate oven near the pen or near something else, potato field can have one too

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-08-01 09:27:37

Mark_W

Hahaha yeah Ive been calling it forge wars. Need ahoe, go to forge, light a fire, Suddenly there 3 mothers and 12 babies running evryrwhere aroudn the fire. THEN the bakers hsow up and fill all the space. So then I have to get basket move all the bakers stuff, if I can while they try to put it back. Then when I finally tihnk Im going to forge something, a kid will pick up the tongs wondering what they are till the fire goes out. But IM stubborn and get their eventually

#6 2018-08-01 10:51:35

pein

try to do it when the eve makes stew, and uses up all the wet bowls to crook, all the kindling to fire

im like im gonna put the two new kilns somewhere elsewhere
but never do it xD

the kiln is a city center

noobs love to hang around it and throw there everything, bunnies, furs, needle, all shit
take your stuff, put somewhere

#7 2018-08-01 12:49:59

Catfive

pein wrote:

try to do it when the eve makes stew, and uses up all the wet bowls to crook, all the kindling to fire

im like im gonna put the two new kilns somewhere elsewhere
but never do it xD

the kiln is a city center

noobs love to hang around it and throw there everything, bunnies, furs, needle, all shit

Yep 'look ma i helping putting egg by kiln and berry!' lol

#8 2018-08-02 04:42:16

FeverDog

pein wrote:

lately I've been into trapping but often when spawning into a city there's no snare so I have to run around making one.  I get really stressed out hoping that nobody grabs my thread/rope while I'm looking for a stake.  Wish we had one slot pockets in some clothes...

#9 2018-08-02 07:37:40

PunkyFickle

FeverDog wrote:

lately I've been into trapping but often when spawning into a city there's no snare so I have to run around making one.  I get really stressed out hoping that nobody grabs my thread/rope while I'm looking for a stake.  Wish we had one slot pockets in some clothes...

How would you have clothes if your village doesn't have any snare? Besides, backpack and apron are what you are looking for.

Board footer