One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-30 04:50:54

EveChu

I am Eve Chu or Eve Lee, and I bring asian names. ( RICE PLS!)

Hello! I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only players that use asian terms and names. Heck, I even sent an email to Jason about adding asian characters... I recently named a town with a messed up name, Keijo! Pharo knows what I’m talking about! I name a TON of my kids Xuan, Xian, Daewon or Yicheng. But the OG is Yuxuan. I really wish Jason added more asian names to the table, like vietnamese names. I also reallly want rice, as it’s an extremely high calorie/food bar item that takes a lot of water which would sort of balance out. Except the fact that water isn’t used up everytime lol.

I really love this game and the concept and wish there were more like me who like asian stuff and name kids asian names. I’m Chinese myself but sort of have dual heritage which ties in with Vietnam. ( but I’m not vietnamese?? a lil’ bit of mix over the years ) I just can’t wait until we get to the tech where we can split into cultures. also, one time I named a whole city Seoul lol. I was randomly queen and a kid spent his life doing it for me. Sad somebody changed it to Oulse and didn’t change it back.. All my Chinese and Korean named kids. I love you and thank you for bearing with me. And that is all, thank you Jason Rohrer for this gift to the world.

-EveChu

#2 2018-07-30 05:14:22

FeverDog

Re: I am Eve Chu or Eve Lee, and I bring asian names. ( RICE PLS!)

It's hard to imagine rice production with no rivers/irrigation or rain.  And there'd have to be some kind of huge payoff as you mention since, in addition to the major water requirement, it's also very labor intensive with paddy field maintenance and transplanting.  All done by hand (not that we have anything more than hoes now...).

#3 2018-07-30 05:23:14

I am Pharo

Yo Chu, How's it going?

Update: some incel-racist clown fucked up your sign,
and i don't take kindly to racism, so i returned the favor.

Made it to old age, no murders outside of the law.  XD

#4 2018-07-30 05:26:04

pein

i got a list of names of 16 which i use, put into a glossary which looks like
name1 name1
name2 name2
...  ...
then i got in phrase expander a command, xg for random girl name xb for random boy name, yg for choosing from list, yb for boys list
confirming with tab
i can add some on separate lists
or make me one big_smile im up for a bit of asian roleplay, im hungarian, i love japanese culture and china too, i consider them related to our origins

today was a funny accident when i named two girls irelia, and both were braided girl and both brown, few minutes difference

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-07-30 05:32:08

EveChu

I am Pharo wrote:

Yo Chu, How's it going?

Update: some incel-racist clown fucked up your sign,
and i don't take kindly to racism, so i returned the favor.

Made it to old age, no murders outside of the law.  XD

WOOO GO PHARO! Thanks lol

#6 2018-07-30 05:33:36

EveChu

pein wrote:

i got a list of names of 16 which i use, put into a glossary which looks like
name1 name1
name2 name2
...  ...
then i got in phrase expander a command, xg for random girl name xb for random boy name, yg for choosing from list, yb for boys list
confirming with tab
i can add some on separate lists
or make me one big_smile im up for a bit of asian roleplay, im hungarian, i love japanese culture and china too, i consider them related to our origins

today was a funny accident when i named two girls irelia, and both were braided girl and both brown, few minutes difference

I got a disc! - j’taime - #4483 let’s roleplay lOl

#7 2018-07-30 05:36:27

EveChu

FeverDog wrote:

It's hard to imagine rice production with no rivers/irrigation or rain.  And there'd have to be some kind of huge payoff as you mention since, in addition to the major water requirement, it's also very labor intensive with paddy field maintenance and transplanting.  All done by hand (not that we have anything more than hoes now...).

Yeah.. since all cultures that farmed rice either had HUGE river basins ( China ) or had a lot of rain and stuff ( Vietnam ) The huge payoff is the fact that rice is the most calorie food for production and goes with a ton of stuff like meat to add calories. I mean, it will keep a civilization alive for a while based on how many foods it can go with, after all it’s a staple food crop. (phơ which is rice noodles with rich fat broth ) honestly, I just want rice and like more asian based cultural and biomes?

#8 2018-07-30 05:53:28

FeverDog

EveChu wrote:
FeverDog wrote:

Yeah.. since all cultures that farmed rice either had HUGE river basins ( China ) or had a lot of rain and stuff ( Vietnam ) The huge payoff is the fact that rice is the most calorie food for production and goes with a ton of stuff like meat to add calories. I mean, it will keep a civilization alive for a while based on how many foods it can go with, after all it’s a staple food crop. (phơ which is rice noodles with rich fat broth ) honestly, I just want rice and like more asian based cultural and biomes?

It's interesting if you look at historical population size estimates that rice producing cultures (China and Bengal [eastern India] specifically) have ALWAYS had the highest population density.  It really was/is the most efficient food in terms of calories.  Great way to get diabetes tho.  sad

From the Indian (Jai Bangla!) perspective tho, we could also add lentils to our rice production for energy plus protein.

#9 2018-07-30 09:55:31

subria

Asia name? You can use Yamato, Suzuki, ha ha.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#10 2018-07-30 11:34:09

Lum

The thing is Jason just added the most used names in the USA and I don't know if he intends to modify it or add names. He didn't choose them specifically.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#11 2018-07-30 11:56:40

Anshin

The names are based on this US government list of historically most used names that goes all the way back to 1880:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/limits.html

Rice could exclusively be grown in the wetlands biome.
Crops specific to biomes, and then much larger biomes, are what would drive real culture and trade in the game.
So +1 for rice! More of everything please!

#12 2018-07-30 12:33:39

jinbaili83

When i wanted to use asian names I googled "popular asian names" or something and compared them with
raw.githubusercontent.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/master/server/firstNames.txt

More than half was on the list.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=436561

#13 2018-08-01 03:53:08

EllynEve

At the very least it would be really cool to see wild rice.

#14 2018-08-02 00:32:57

LaughAtlantis

On naming: I've been your kid (I'm assuming) in that I've been Yicheng. I didn't find it off-putting at all; I was pleased.  I like a name with personality and Yicheng tells me something about myself. I'd like to see more names from a variety of cultures, but I'm not sure how many people are in it for the naming. That was - oddly - a big draw for me. I get to name 5-10 kids in the course of an hour?? HELL YES I WILL PLAY THAT GAME. I will pick a theme every time and have so much fun with that, all while making stew.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

Board footer