One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-26 20:05:22

startafight

how to make snake barrier

played eve. oldest daughter eaten by snake. shot as many boars and wolves in the area as possible to try protect second daughter. second daughter gets eaten by snake. too old to have anymore kids

so how does one make a snake barrier? they cant move onto objects like sheep right? so if i make it two thick can the snake still cross? kinda like a circle of salt? even as a temporary measure i need some way as an eve to prevent my kids from being bitten to death. wouldve found a better area but already spent 5 minutes looking for one and needed to settle before i got too old to have anymore kids. any solutions besides making a knife asap?

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-26 20:06:09)

#2 2018-07-26 21:45:22

Anshin

Re: how to make snake barrier

Needles. Needles everywhere.

#3 2018-07-26 21:48:23

Mirelli

I guess you could make adobe oven bases if you have plentiful clay and reed but that would be a waste of resources. They can still slither across items, they just can’t kill you if you’re standing on the items. Maybe if you clutter your camp with milkweed seeds or something until you can make a knife? I’ve never tried to make a barrier, I just warn my kids about the dangers and hope for the best lol

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#4 2018-07-26 22:14:50

Tarr
Banned

If I remember correctly snakes move up to five spaces (Maybe six I know at least five.) Good luck surrounding a single snake with that much clutter though.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-07-27 05:29:09

pein

they move 5-6 diagonally, but if they are blocked they move whatever direction

so maybe berry farm on edge but thats too much already

you can make a flat rock street across a desert, at least you can run straight to it

most babies are dumb
once i made a new camp under the cold swamp base my bro made, all was good, until i asked my kids to help carry back some stuff from there, two daughters died to snake on the same spot

on the run with yahg, we had a nice camp with tons of loot, and i made it 99 times without getting bit, but most of them died to snake

there are two biomes a snake spawns, badland and desert,both times gonna stuck inside it, so if its a small one you can fill it with seeds or any item then build a pit pen around it.

other option is building a huge pen around city center(same applies as to sheep and they cant get in either)  or just graves in a straight line, it acts as a wall

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-07-27 06:05:24

zennyrpg

Tarr wrote:

If I remember correctly snakes move up to five spaces (Maybe six I know at least five.) Good luck surrounding a single snake with that much clutter though.

Okay... imagine a teleporter with a snake trapped inside of it by clutter.  Are you with me so far?  Now someone goes to pick up a piece of the clutter... and the snake automatically paths to the only open tile!  You could make a booby trap.

#7 2018-07-27 06:28:17

Nopik

I put an object behind each of the trees in the desert/badlands area where snakes hang out. Use something that won’t decay and you don’t need many of, like flint or flat rocks or seeds. Takes a bit of time to do, but at least they can’t hide and kill your children for walking behind trees

#8 2018-07-27 07:49:58

JonySky
Website

Snakes go through the tombs?

#9 2018-07-27 08:05:24

Baker

"Eaten by a snake"

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#10 2018-07-27 09:10:16

pein

JonySky wrote:

Snakes go through the tombs?

with a grave on acts as a wall but is temporary

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-07-27 14:29:53

Lum

pein wrote:

there are two biomes a snake spawns, badland and desert,both times gonna stuck inside it, so if its a small one you can fill it with seeds or any item then build a pit pen around it.

No they don't? Snakes spawn in deserts and sometimes in any other biomes surrounding said desert.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#12 2018-07-27 17:41:25

startafight

Baker wrote:

"Eaten by a snake"

it creates better imagery than "bitten by a snake and crawled back from the depths of the swamp, choking out their last words before perishing on the hearth of our home"

#13 2018-07-27 17:42:49

startafight

pein wrote:

they move 5-6 diagonally, but if they are blocked they move whatever direction

so maybe berry farm on edge but thats too much already

you can make a flat rock street across a desert, at least you can run straight to it

most babies are dumb
once i made a new camp under the cold swamp base my bro made, all was good, until i asked my kids to help carry back some stuff from there, two daughters died to snake on the same spot

on the run with yahg, we had a nice camp with tons of loot, and i made it 99 times without getting bit, but most of them died to snake

other option is building a huge pen around city center(same applies as to sheep and they cant get in either)  or just graves in a straight line, it acts as a wall

i guess a knife is a cheaper option. i just dont like having knives in early camps. always a signal for murderers to appear. also they take fucking forever to make. maybe ill just cut down all the trees in the area and hope for the best

#14 2018-07-27 18:52:17

Turnipseed

A bear in town is a great idiot culling device. When in a large overpopulated town i have assembled 3 arrows,and a bow brought a bear back, and let it kill all the idiots before killing the bear and getting back to work.

Civs are usually much healthier afterwards,  because only the smart people are left...

Ither they were smart enough to dodge the bear, or stand on an item, but after about 2 minutes the town has been clensed of sponges, and is super efficient

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#15 2018-07-28 06:45:03

pein

Lum wrote:
pein wrote:

No they don't? Snakes spawn in deserts and sometimes in any other biomes surrounding said desert.

im pretty sure those two are the original biome for snake
i had one blocked inside a badland between a desert, so it didnt move out
it was a change that animals dont leave the original biome
exept snake kills someone on a spot, then it has to go to other biome as the bones cover the small spot it spawned, then just goes back and forth in it but they generally dont leave the desert either

Board footer