One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-23 02:30:10

sc0rp

Re: Teleporter thread: The history of teleportation in OHOL

FounderOne wrote:

And a integrated meat thrower should also be possible. You don't even need to leave the pen.

Pen is always filled with lots of junk (dead lamb, bones, etc.), so I'll pretty much always throw stuff outside.

#27 2018-07-23 02:40:55

Schlorghan

You could have  a pig pen and make the closest open tile in the boar pen and they have to die or die

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#28 2018-07-23 03:52:03

Amber

Tarr wrote:

I'd like to thank you for the farming idea in the first place. This could actually be pretty groundbreaking in the farming department if it picks up any.

Your smaller system is probably better in the long run though. Yours works better with a team of farmers harvesting crops rather than my system which likely is easier on a solo farmer. It's not too finicky to get yours up and running properly, the clicks can take a little getting used to but it's pretty easy to get into a good rhythm. I ended up being able to teach a few children in the village how to properly use the harvester before I ended up dying myself.

A sample image of the farming system I ended up using. This takes up much more space but once set up is easy to manage. Plant your seeds, water, and when time to harvest comes just pick and press against a pillar. This one ended up in a heart shape instead of the normal diamond shape due to the pond at the top taking a spot.

http://i.imgur.com/tHc24sp.jpg

Here is FounderOne's setup.

http://i.imgur.com/23fGwgQ.jpg

Post harvest:

http://i.imgur.com/ewLgDLX.jpg

If you can afford to set these things up with stone I would recommend it over doing an adobe set up. I ended up having someone accidentally water one of my pillars causing me to have to fix it and a misclick caused one of the pillars to become a full adobe corner. This isn't the biggest of deals but it does mess with the vision of the crop behind it.

TL;DR Smaller is better for team farming, larger probably better solo farmers and aesthetic.

i was in the same town earlier, i had dropped something in an empty spot but ended up getting a carrot in my hand instead and ate it on accident.

#29 2018-07-23 06:28:37

WalrusesConquer

I can't believe we're discussing teleportation! Wild!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#30 2018-07-23 06:30:42

Tarr
Banned

Amber wrote:

i was in the same town earlier, i had dropped something in an empty spot but ended up getting a carrot in my hand instead and ate it on accident.

It's possible to "catch" a carrot that floats into position. A carrot is treated as being in an empty tile the whole time that it is autopathing to it's open position. I can see how something like this could be annoying but generally I think accidents like this are bound to occur when using the speed harvester.

WalrusesConquer wrote:

I can't believe we're discussing teleportation! Wild!

I'm just happy we found a use for the things instead of just being a baby toy or some gimmick.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-23 06:33:45)

fug it’s Tarr.

#31 2018-07-23 09:24:33

Tarr
Banned

I'm sure at this point a separate thread could be made to discuss teleport farming but I'm starting to get this more and more down to a science.

So when doing this farming method we have nine optimal spots around the pillars. These nine spots (marked by circles, minus the two I didn't get on screen) are the least click intensive of the farming area. The reason The inner diagonals are less than optimal is due to auto pathing walking you to the red circles to attempt to collect the carrots.

Should you plant in the red circles you will be placed within these empty diagonals spots which will cause your character only to move two tiles instead of the extra one should you be be farming within the unmarked tiles. You can still farm within the unmarked spaces but you will need to manually click the tile instead of autowalking.

YRjeL0W.jpg

If you've never messed with any of these before this image shows where to click from the optimal spot. If mass planting around the pillars you always click the pillar opposite of the side you're currently standing. The top and bottom pillar can also be used, this is just personal preference to use the east and west ones.

cn3iCQV.jpg

What an optimal farming set up looks like minus that weird top left hand corner piece. Three stone + one adobe allows you to easily see middle row and gives less margin of error with someone watering a corner.

OG5PUbc.jpg

Good luck and happy farming.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-23 12:18:28)

fug it’s Tarr.

#32 2018-07-23 16:07:11

Alf

I think that is the ultimate purpose of the Stonehenge archeologists had been missing all these years

#33 2018-07-23 18:22:14

FounderOne

Alf wrote:

I think that is the ultimate purpose of the Stonehenge archeologists had been missing all these years

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#34 2018-07-24 09:28:26

PunkyFickle

Alf wrote:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3118

#35 2018-07-24 15:48:36

Tarr
Banned

Every day we step up our farming just a bit.

cFjZ9oJ.jpg

Over in the Greving family we stepped up the teleport farming just a little bit. With this set up (ignore empty plots, this was between harvests.) we were creating our own plates/bowls/crocks for the stew we made, made a few pies, (I think this is extra clutter but we love a good mess.) had our wheat field to the east, and a milkweed farm to the southwest. At no point did I feel like we making the area too filled with our harvests to make stew efficiently as the teleporter will stop auto firing when reaching close to max draw range.

I haven't really enjoyed farming in a long time but these last few days have been some pretty good fun trying to improve each farm a little bit.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=684827

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-24 15:49:35)

fug it’s Tarr.

#36 2018-07-24 16:06:27

PunkyFickle

Tarr wrote:

Over in the Greving family

Damn, I was the Eve there! So happy that it made it up to the "experimental farming stage"! The location was amazing, though, and I'm grateful to my two daughters, Theodora and Alessa, my two daughters who were quite efficient players.

Interesting layout, by the way, but I'm not sure that more than one oven is necessary there, the rest of the teleporter could be anything else, isn't it. Maybe chests would be useful. But they would need to be full all the time or closed, I guess?

#37 2018-07-24 17:21:23

FounderOne

sheepteleporter.png

I worked on this sheep pen addition. The sheep pen was already build.

You could walk on the sides of the oven into the pen, but sheeps couldnt escape. Maybe pein you want to build all your pens with such an entry?

I tried to build another teleporter north of the pen, but I made a mistake there... I wanted to use the north side of it as a trash teleporter tongue

Last edited by FounderOne (2018-07-24 17:22:37)

#38 2018-07-24 23:06:32

pein

i want a corner like that facing oven
probably top or bottom
thing is grave pens allow taking meat out
but never got sapling farm, compost or flat stones to make a grave pen and fix fast, only if i set it up one life
i check cheaper solutions first

i build entrances nowadays with a berry bush(if no compost just put a stake on it) and a door, its always side entrance not corner, and door can be open as well
if its between 3 graves/pits its lockable from inside, if its facing inside, lockable from outside
combined can be lockable from middle, and let somebody starve inside, and no one can help if its fixed pits/stones/rose
xxxoo
ooxoo
oxxxo
xdodx
oxxxo
ooxoo
xxxoo

x-wall
d-door
o-open tile

so basically a side entrance and 3 extra tiles inside/outside
door functions as the filled pit/home marker, sheep cannot step on doorway, also looks like a square box with a door, which is nice i think
if closed, diagonally cannot be clicked to open so its one direction
so you close both from inside
if you can lure a killer after you, you can starve him in pen, or drop a baby inside, even if its not fixed with graves
the second door is to stop others to go in and open from outside
or you can use the design to lock a mother with food and babies, girls cant suicide as they cannot open door/ actually a grave functions better, it still wont stop suicide, they can quit, or wait 3 min, but at least u can convince baby to stay, maybe
same goes with bear attack, maybe a locked pie factory, apothecary

generally you can do a closed door and a lockable from inside door, if someone follows you, you got time to explain or kill/starve, as the doorcampers are noob nakeds who just want the loot, and opening a door generally allows them inside and you cannot do much if food and weapons are inside

other us might be a long corridor which exits to a common area and you can deliver pies near fire, but you run back, and close babies out from entering there and messing stuff up

the meat thrower extension was born same time with the guy mentioning carrot farming, i realized already that teleporting can be useful in pen, and welp, i care more about making fast pies than farming some carrots for compost, generally better hide a row behind a tree or locked box

testing next time for pits or pits and adobe, and one-two directional thrower included in a pen corner

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#39 2018-07-25 00:19:51

Tarr
Banned

I know I posted the idea in the other thread but I figured I should show it in action.

rd6ZWAh.jpg
2Fspi5t.jpg
gkWseZV.jpg

Who needs to make ten locks guessing when the key is within teleport range? Was hard to get a kid to let me launch them into the room though.

fug it’s Tarr.

#40 2018-07-25 04:19:46

pein

ahahaahhhaa thats good

the deffense is pretty bad:
build filled pits around a stone room on 1 distance so nobody can build teleporters

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#41 2018-07-25 09:49:00

FounderOne

I saw your pens and this room. I liked it, but was not sure what the purpose was tongue

In the tutorial you can also without building something extra teleport items out of the room big_smile

#42 2018-07-25 12:12:07

Tarr
Banned

pein wrote:

ahahaahhhaa thats good

the deffense is pretty bad:
build filled pits around a stone room on 1 distance so nobody can build teleporters

The thing is any sort of filled pit is going to count as a filled tile for teleporting. These things have a pretty good distance in practice and it seems awfully crazy to try to make enough filled trash pits around a building to prevent someone teleporting a kid in for loot.

FounderOne wrote:

I saw your pens and this room. I liked it, but was not sure what the purpose was tongue

In the tutorial you can also without building something extra teleport items out of the room big_smile

I'm sure that would freak someone new in game to see a bunch of stuff just flying into their tutorial cell. I'm sure if you spawn twins/trip/quads in the tutorial you can launch a child outside in an attempt to find a broken up cell to speed up your own release.

fug it’s Tarr.

#43 2018-07-25 18:51:35

CynderR

Just want to confirm that this teleporter does indeed work on Mobile, using the ghetto version (three adobe base's and one adobe oven) i was able to make a great little carrot farm!
Oddly this setup did not work with children. I could not drop children on the oven for whatever reason (Flashbacks to some fairy tails and b-movies).

Im really liking the idea of crafting sets of items that combine to make a new factory item. Like perhaps a set of crafted goggles that allows that user to see patterns on the ground showing different configurations of structures and when complete form new mechanics (perhaps a daycare square that requires lime, ore and berry's.... Or a cereal creator, just add corn and stir wink ).
Or instead of goggles, maybe a book that shows the configurations, but the reader needs to complete the first sets of structures before moving to more complex setups as job experience is a thing (this would help prevent reaching the tech limit without proper preparation) giving advanced civ a goal of collecting all the gear needed for the known configurations before giving the inventor job title to a child (to maximize the time needed to work and document unknown pages of the book).

#44 2018-07-26 09:46:02

pein

ok i tested some things

pits work
while they dont look so nice, you can build them faster and use the teleporter
eventually they gonna be filled so the middle wont be usable i think, so the middle one should be marked grave or stone
the rest can be pits, not sure on filled pit, i think it wont work

9 graves not so hard to make, fixing them costs 9 sapling, a fire, heat up water, put letterstock in, then into empty bowl, make U signs, put on grave, use chisel, mallet
it can store bowl of water and bowl of soil i think
can be used as farming

in pens
you need two extra pillars in a corner, and click between, click on the inner one, gonna throw meat on empty tile, this works best when pit is full of lamb, bones, meat or sheep, of course leave one alive, unsheared, shear all other, kill them, throw all meat out
you can make in every corner two extra pits, then its closer
eventually we could make checkboard pits which would be half the size, but would work like a teleporter on every position, so would send out all the meat

pedoteleporters: as long as you cover the closest 6 tiles, you can give directional throw, and enclose other side, throwing babies inside enclosed room can get rid of them for good,eventually you can use pits, in a romboid shape, only empty on middle, so it goes that direction, if they die bones gonna block the next ones, double enclosed grave can ensure entrance for you and no exit for them even if a mom tries to save them, just bring food, also needs 2 free tiles for stone and food, or you to have apron or pack

#45 2018-08-07 06:33:18

Tarr
Banned

Already posted this in the bugs section but teleporters can also launch wounds off peoples bodies. This creates unusable tiles around the teleporter. Thankfully you can only get off about four wounds before dying otherwise this would be a real griefing issue.

kCuHVhx.jpg
DKu0d4t.jpg

fug it’s Tarr.

#46 2018-08-07 07:12:43

pein

this was in lucky town i seen the bite wound marks on floor

Last edited by pein (2018-08-07 13:46:48)

#47 2018-08-07 12:37:43

Tarr
Banned

Decided since I can shoot wounds everywhere to make a suicide booth for the winters family.

tv1ThGY.jpg

We ended up having three babies, two adults, and one child use it in my time with the family. I was going to write suicide booth on the boards but got carried away with helping engrave some graves.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=811558

fug it’s Tarr.

#48 2018-08-07 18:40:07

Booklat1

do wounds just stay in the floor? can you pick them to hurt people?

#49 2018-08-07 18:46:15

AnobeseWalrus

i tried to pick up the wounds but it seems that there is some sort of superglue that is affixing them to the ground

#50 2018-08-07 21:04:54

Tarr
Banned

Yeah wounds stay on the ground permanently leaving completely unusable tiles.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer