One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-22 08:10:47

Tarr
Banned

Teleporter thread: The history of teleportation in OHOL

I'm sure if you've been to any of the active families today you've noticed a diamond shaped set of pillars located somewhere near the city. These things are generally surrounded by masses of clutter (I normally use corn kernels as my priming tool, sorry for the mess.) ranging from corn kernels, milkweed seeds, and anything else easily available around the structure. 

ItUFlmL.jpg

So what do these do and how do they work?

These structures are autopathing any item used on the center pillar to the surrounding area in an attempt to place whatever is used on it in an empty tile. Anything you can carry can be used on said structure and will float off to a nearby empty tile around the structure thus creating a large amount of clutter. With enough clutter once a baby is used upon the center piece they will poof into an available tile generally 7~12 tiles away from the center pillar if primed.

What are these good for and why are you making them?   

To my knowing these baby teleporters are generally useless besides for having a little fun with a mother and her child. At worst you can prime a teleporter to launch a baby into an arctic biome which will auto set temperature to its surrounding tiles. These Aborty-Porties could be used to quickly dispose of unwanted children but ideally starving them out is probably more ethical and quicker than loading it into a death teleporter.

These teleporters can also be used to delete items should you surround the area with enough gunk for the autopather to stop being able to reach an open tile.  Of course doing this will jam the teleporter for a short period of time until said item just disappears forever into the abyss.

Some common issues that occur with the teleporters:

Sometimes you will have a jam occur that does not seem to resolve with time- IF something like this occurs attempt running in and out of the different sides of the teleporter. Walk a few tiles out each side and it should bullet hell launch some items in an outward spray to unjam itself. Bonus points if you load the teleporter with knives or other cool object.

Baby is smacking its head into the wall when attempting to teleport- This means the teleporter is currently jammed and either needs you to run around to unclog it or to pick up an item at the portals max range. Should you be at this point you have primed the teleporter to be able to launch a baby where you want.

Credit to whoever decided to make a cool diamond shaped pillar piece first. Without you I wouldn't have attempted to copycat said shape and certainly wouldn't be having this much fun.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-10-09 18:21:16)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-07-22 09:48:50

pein

Re: Teleporter thread: The history of teleportation in OHOL

so they fly when they born?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-07-22 10:58:26

PunkyFickle

Damn your corn kernels carpets! Place your bouncy castles away from my stew industry area!

KICK THE BABY!

#4 2018-07-22 11:21:36

Alf

I love that thing, must give it a try asap

#5 2018-07-22 11:25:42

Neo

Primitive teleporters eh, I wonder if high tech civs will have actual teleporters.

Then we could one day build one way teleporters to a tundra in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-22 11:31:31)

#6 2018-07-22 13:32:52

Tarr
Banned

pein wrote:

so they fly when they born?

Nah, you have to take the baby over to one of the sides that have been set up like in the picture and touch it against the middle pillar. This poofs the baby to the nearest available tile.

PunkyFickle wrote:

Damn your corn kernels carpets! Place your bouncy castles away from my stew industry area!

Sorry, the original designs were waaaay too close to towns when I was first making them. (Jones Family + one other family I forget.) I now make sure to put them in a corner of a town to prevent carpet bombing a whole section of town with corn.

Alf wrote:

I love that thing, must give it a try asap

For best results do not set up the teleporter to a specific location so the baby ends up flying off to an unknown location.

Neo wrote:

Primitive teleporters eh, I wonder if high tech civs will have actual teleporters.

Then we could one day build one way teleporters to a tundra in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah hopefully if he ever implements real teleporters they go a little further than a screen and a half away from its starting point.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-07-22 13:46:43

sc0rp

LOL.  Any reason for all other pillars except middle one?

#8 2018-07-22 13:58:25

Tarr
Banned

sc0rp wrote:

LOL.  Any reason for all other pillars except middle one?

Yeah if you only have one pillar it won't trigger the autopatching. Instead it will just poke the pillar with the item you have in hand. I believe the bare minimum amount of stone corners you can use is four. Just set it up around you in a miniature diamond like I'm stand in the picture. The larger diamond shape allows you to decide which way you're launching a baby with the teleporter. Right side is NE + SE, left is NW + SW, Top is NW + NE, and the bottom middle is SE + SW.

Basically it's only as big as it is for aesthetic purposes and control on which way we launch our babies.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-07-22 21:47:11

pein

i just made my tortilla industry near this

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=665039

Last edited by pein (2018-07-22 21:47:36)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-07-22 21:53:22

startafight

this is the coolest shit ive seen. hope ill get to see one today

#11 2018-07-22 22:18:12

Amber

experienced this as a baby yesterday.  at first i thought i was going to get murdered when i was grabbed by an old man but then he said "want to see my magic trick" or something along those lines.  Once i had my own kids i took them there for a ride too or would give them to someone.  make sure your baby is fed first though before tossing them in.

#12 2018-07-22 23:26:24

Tarr
Banned

Amber wrote:

experienced this as a baby yesterday.  at first i thought i was going to get murdered when i was grabbed by an old man but then he said "want to see my magic trick" or something along those lines.  Once i had my own kids i took them there for a ride too or would give them to someone.  make sure your baby is fed first though before tossing them in.

Hi there. That was me when I was first taking babies through the teleporter yesterday. I'm glad other people were showing the babies the trick after I had passed on from the village. Being male kind of sucks for launching babies as you have to make sure to stuff the babies with food to ensure their safety.

A small test proved that a small diamond (Just one pillar in each cardinal direction) will indeed allow babies to teleport. However these smaller teleporters will clog up everything around them rather than the larger ones which will only clog up the side you use items on.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-22 23:46:11)

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2018-07-22 23:43:43

sc0rp

Tarr wrote:

A small test proved that a small diamond (Just one pillar in each cardinal direction) will indeed allow babies to teleport. However these smaller teleporters will clog up everything around them rather than the larger ones which will only clog up a the side you use items on.

Nice to know.  Thanks.

#14 2018-07-22 23:50:19

FounderOne

can we build the small version pls in the carrot etc farm? tongue

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#15 2018-07-22 23:51:00

pein

cheaper version? 4 adobe would work?

i think i could make from needles and make a long line to teleport someone far xD
bonus if lands in a pen xD
i want a muflon meat thrower xd

#16 2018-07-22 23:53:24

Tarr
Banned

FounderOne wrote:

can we build the small version pls in the carrot etc farm? tongue

That's an actual use for them. You can grow a carrot farm plot in the center and then just click on one of the pillars to speedily move them to open tiles. I hadn't even thought of using them to speed up carrot harvests though I don't think it's very practical.

pein wrote:

i think i could make from needles and make a long line to teleport someone far xD

Next time I'm in game I can test four adobe though it should work all the same. These teleporters have a limited range based on how far the game scans for empty tiles. The problem with the four tile set up is that you are just launching items in every sort of direction. I believe if you copied the original model but didn't build the three on the unused side you could skimp the total amount of resources to six adobe/stone.

You can use these things to throw mutton around but walking it is always much more practical than getting into position and having it primed to put items where you want.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-23 00:00:38)

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2018-07-22 23:57:38

FounderOne

just make some fields around the construction so you need to walk still two tiles. But its faster then walking 6 or more tiles tongue

#18 2018-07-22 23:59:03

sc0rp

pein wrote:

Moving muflon meat to bakery is PITA.  Anything that helps it is welcome. smile

#19 2018-07-23 00:03:37

pein

i used kids to pick it up and i pick them, kinda 90 sec or 120? to do so

#20 2018-07-23 00:51:32

sc0rp

pein wrote:

i used kids to pick it up and i pick them, kinda 90 sec or 120? to do so

Actually asking kids to do move mutton meat to bakery and get rid of sheep bones is really good idea.  You can teach them how to make compost in between.

#21 2018-07-23 01:03:00

FounderOne

Hey Tarr,

I just faced connection lost!

Both methods seemed good.

The upper one was more clicking and walking. Clicking needed to be done correct otherwise you stopped.

The one at the village was less stressful, but quite space and resource consuming.

I guess if you want something good looking and got some space and time you should take the one near the village.

And if it needs to go fast, tiny and dirty. You should go with the one north.

You think the same?

#22 2018-07-23 01:36:29

Tarr
Banned

I'd like to thank you for the farming idea in the first place. This could actually be pretty groundbreaking in the farming department if it picks up any.

Your smaller system is probably better in the long run though. Yours works better with a team of farmers harvesting crops rather than my system which likely is easier on a solo farmer. It's not too finicky to get yours up and running properly, the clicks can take a little getting used to but it's pretty easy to get into a good rhythm. I ended up being able to teach a few children in the village how to properly use the harvester before I ended up dying myself.

A sample image of the farming system I ended up using. This takes up much more space but once set up is easy to manage. Plant your seeds, water, and when time to harvest comes just pick and press against a pillar. This one ended up in a heart shape instead of the normal diamond shape due to the pond at the top taking a spot.

tHc24sp.jpg

Here is FounderOne's setup.

23fGwgQ.jpg

Post harvest:

ewLgDLX.jpg

If you can afford to set these things up with stone I would recommend it over doing an adobe set up. I ended up having someone accidentally water one of my pillars causing me to have to fix it and a misclick caused one of the pillars to become a full adobe corner. This isn't the biggest of deals but it does mess with the vision of the crop behind it.

TL;DR Smaller is better for team farming, larger probably better solo farmers and aesthetic.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-07-23 01:45:20)

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2018-07-23 01:43:55

FounderOne

Next time we meet in game I will honor you with the Ohol Physiks Nobelprice tongue

You can now use a "Dr. Prof." in front of your name :'D

#24 2018-07-23 01:55:48

FounderOne

pein wrote:

And a integrated meat thrower should also be possible. You don't even need to leave the pen.

#25 2018-07-23 02:23:44

sc0rp

We're getting some advanced tech here, while Jason is fixing the lag smile

Board footer