One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 15:29:26

startafight

baby tests

a list of tests u can do on ur baby to see how quickly it will die

the "F" test: if the first thing it says after u give birth to it is "F" it will die in approx 5 minutes. itll come up to u throughout its childhood until its too big and u tell it "ur too big" and it will fall to a pile of bones immediately

the chase test: if it chases after u after uve named it and placed it on a middle temp square it will die in approx 11 minutes

the temp test: if u put it down in a not so perfect spot and start working but it doesnt move to the perfect spot a square away from it it will die in approx 8 minutes

the running test: if it runs off as soon as it grows hair without taking at least 1 food from ur farm or a basket it will die in approx 4 minutes

a list of tests u can do on ur bby to see how long it will survive:

the "k" test: u tell ur bb where food is and it says "k". it will survive to at least 12

the silent test: ur silent n bbys silent. bb knows ma is busy. it will survive to at least 18

the "follow" test: u pick up ur basket n tell baby to follow. it follows and stops moving immediately after u stop moving instead of coming back to u. it will survive to at least 7

the "where" test: after its grown it asks "where rabbit?" "where water?" it will survive at least to 9 - but if it runs off before u can answer it will be a sponge

hope this helps decide on what bbs to abandon or keep the next time u run into a famine

#2 2018-07-21 15:37:27

pein

Re: baby tests

social experiment: tell baby to say H if hungry, if still spams F then dont give a fuck about you or what you say, so you should let it die

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-07-21 15:37:28

Turnipseed

I abandon any that leave the perfect temp spot or are in anyway disobedient. (Wont follow, wont stay, or jumps from arms at ANY given time)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-07-21 15:40:15

Turnipseed

pein wrote:

social experiment: tell baby to say H if hungry, if still spams F then dont give a fuck about you or what you say, so you should let it die

Omg i love that idea! Just make sure its loaded in before telling it.. i know ive been named and left by a fire before loading in properly

#5 2018-07-21 15:42:11

Baker

pein wrote:

Fuck it, I'm gonna try it and see what happens. They won't get fed unless they H, I'm guessing most will starve.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-07-21 16:07:43

Turnipseed

Baker wrote:
pein wrote:

Fuck it, I'm gonna try it and see what happens. They won't get fed unless they H, I'm guessing most will starve.

Sheeettt imma just pick a random letter for each kid... they better remember it

#7 2018-07-21 16:10:15

Cecil

I haven't been quit as cynical as the OP, but I've left unnamed babies in walking distance from my marker as an Eve without saying anything to them, and then I kept the ones that chased me back. It isn't intended as a test. I just can't be bothered running further away to ditch them. It tells you real fast which babies has some fighting spirit. The downside is that it probably carries a grudge, but hey, whatever keeps the family going.

I like your temperature test a lot. Definitely going to start doing that.

Do you have category for those annoying babies that spell out long sentences one or two letters at a time, or does that fall under 'staying silent'? wink I lack both the patience and grasp of English as a second language to even bother with young baby chat.

Last edited by Cecil (2018-07-21 16:16:13)

#8 2018-07-21 16:13:26

sc0rp

On a positive side:

startafight wrote:

the running test: if it runs off as soon as it grows hair without taking at least 1 food from ur farm or a basket it will die in approx 4 minutes

If it starts temp running to look around camp before it can hold an item and is back at spot you put it way before starving => will last till old age.

Steps on its own out of crowded spot/campfire before saying F => same.

startafight wrote:

the "follow" test: u pick up ur basket n tell baby to follow. it follows and stops moving immediately after u stop moving instead of coming back to u. it will survive to at least 7

If it first moves to perfect temp spot, stops there for a second and goes temp running after you without stopping => will live to old age.

startafight wrote:

the "where" test: after its grown it asks "where rabbit?" "where water?" it will survive at least to 9

WTR, SOI L?, RBT, CAR RTS, CMP ST? when it can type only three letters => give it a backpack if you can. That's you next smith/shepherd/carpenter, whatever will be needed.

#9 2018-07-21 16:28:38

pein

just needs 3 feedings on perfect tile
also remember some people got slow load of map, especially first game, so kid might not be idiot, but wait  the first hi, then test it
can be a pain, but just carry back to a nearly good spot and see if moves to perfect one
if it follows when needed, if not follows when not needed
if it points on things or selfish

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-07-21 16:41:37

startafight

Cecil wrote:

Do you have category for those annoying babies that spell out long sentences one or two letters at a time, or does that fall under 'staying silent'? wink I lack both the patience and grasp of English as a second language to even bother with young baby chat.

they're a mixed bag tbh. some just wanna help but others r talking to other bbs or adults to kill time. can't judge rp

#11 2018-07-21 17:03:19

third.eye

You gave me a good smile startafight. smile

Could you do that for overly protective moms that stand 5min next to you even if you're on a calm space, so she has a lot of time to do some things? big_smile

#12 2018-07-22 07:27:12

kubassa
Banned

startafight wrote:

the "F" test: if the first thing it says after u give birth to it is "F" it will die in approx 5 minutes. itll come up to u throughout its childhood until its too big and u tell it "ur too big" and it will fall to a pile of bones immediately

the chase test: if it chases after u after uve named it and placed it on a middle temp square it will die in approx 11 minutes

the temp test: if u put it down in a not so perfect spot and start working but it doesnt move to the perfect spot a square away from it it will die in approx 8 minutes

the "k" test: u tell ur bb where food is and it says "k". it will survive to at least 12

the silent test: ur silent n bbys silent. bb knows ma is busy. it will survive to at least 18

the "where" test: after its grown it asks "where rabbit?" "where water?" it will survive at least to 9 - but if it runs off before u can answer it will be a sponge

hope this helps decide on what bbs to abandon or keep the next time u run into a famine

You are such a pro. Everyone can only hope to be as awesome at this game as you. You are a GOD............................. Yes that's sarcasm. Maybe you should learn to play. You seem to make all your posts about how others don't meat your awesomeness 110% skill level 10 godliness. Jason should make a monument of you so everyone can see the coolest, bestest one hour one life playa. Then you can sit playing all day on your PC knowing you are the coolest on the net because you are the greatest one hour one life player.

FYI: It's you, not everyone else.

I got huge ballz.

#13 2018-07-22 17:48:54

Angel Carrillo

You know, startafight, that not only will the tests will kill off new players (that's a bad thing) but also that your name is literally start a fight? Why? Is it just me  or it really is too much of a chance that would be the name?

#14 2018-07-22 19:15:27

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

I always do the temp test for my babies, if they can't keep temp and want to chase me....fuck em.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#15 2018-07-22 21:44:09

startafight

Angel Carrillo wrote:

You know, startafight, that not only will the tests will kill off new players (that's a bad thing) but also that your name is literally start a fight? Why? Is it just me  or it really is too much of a chance that would be the name?

if uve got too many new kids wandering an eve camp itll eat up all the food before u get a chance to get settled enough to ensure success for future generations. my goal so far in this game has been to get an eve generation to at least double digits. its disheartening to see the players who dont do anything just keep every single child in gen 2, and then watch all those kids starve to death by empty bushes b/c they didnt expand the farm enough to support those kids. there needs to be population management in eve camps and when there arent everyone just dies

i dont abandon every baby without giving it a second chance, either. its just that new players dont seem to know when were on the verge of famine and keep all the kids they get and just die. the other day i raised a newbie son even though i was gen 2 (my mom was eve). i gave him a job, to water the crops, and he did that sometimes. but then he came to me later and asked me how to make a bag and i showed him how to make one and gave it to him. i only did that because i knew we could afford to support him in that camp (b/c i only had 3 kids, only 1 was a girl). and i always teach new players in bigger camps.

u get it? there needs to be sacrifice for an eve camp to survive and keeping new players who dont do more than eat all the food and cause famine isnt something eve camps can afford. and i want gen 2s and 3s to understand thats something eve camps cant afford. thats why so many camps die out. and thats why i make so many goddamn "how to" stuff. its so that new players can LEARN without having to be taught in-game which takes a long ass time

and yeah my name should've been HotTakes (lol) apparently

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-22 23:16:40)

#16 2018-07-22 23:04:15

Turnipseed

Angel Carrillo wrote:

From what ive seen despite the questionable choice of name startafight has been nothing but helpful on the forums.

#17 2018-07-23 02:07:08

startafight

Turnipseed wrote:
Angel Carrillo wrote:

From what ive seen despite the questionable choice of name startafight has been nothing but helpful on the forums.

<3 (i chose my name after trying 3 others that were taken so i wanted to "start a fight" with jason haha)

#18 2018-07-23 02:08:43

Schlorghan

Since im new I just ask if they are new. doesn't change whether ill keep them or not, when they get hair I kick them out.
Sometimes they're good and live longer than me,
Sometimes they die in minutes. but I give them a berry farm tutorial first.(only thing I know)

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#19 2018-07-26 03:55:17

Stepping_Razor

startafight wrote:

This dudes basically right, i would like to add to this rant/sufferance i am here because i am triggered by stuff like this as well the general lack perception when it comes to game mechanics some of this is pretty basic to like within the first 5 steps of the tutorial, lets get the record straight i have only been playing for about a week, some times i question who exactly is playing this game, "they" don't seem to know the basics of temperature movement or what the  true food multiplier does they would know if they ever made it to like x10 x12 its like one does not even have to eat at that point you could eat 1 popcorn at a x12 multiplier and it would probably last you longer than like 2 full berry bushes the berries would break your multiplier, this is in the eyes of numbers and exponential growth.  One could probably run the numbers and get a more accurate assessment x food gives x bars multiplied by the (food multiplier) add in what temperature spot you are standing voila easy game.  Well i guess not for all, i  had some one admit that they had the game for like 5months, and i still watched them cramming berries down their throat. the speed at which community plays this game is like rabbits on crack, we need to slow the pace down think about our actions instead of act act act no thought, especially when baby/child, the amount of food kids will consume while they try to work is exponentially worse than an adult, i understand they want to be productive, but its actually more productive to sit in the perfect temp tile eat say 4 different types of food slowly this means you reach one or two food bars before you decide to eat the next item try to be efficient when eating, inefficiency is eating egg before berry this case one would often lose an extra 50% food,(i suggest this order of food if possible, popcorn,berry by hand, berry from bowl, onion, corn, wild carrot, carrot, Burdock, Yuca, etc.) then you have multipliers with multiple health bars at this point you can go work. you need to think about your actions. imagine what you could do with an 8x multiplier, if you had not touched any type of pie stew, or meat.

The worse one is at managing resources, Food, Water, Wood, Stone.  The harder it becomes for your offspring to survive.(not saying they wont survive, ilm just saying quality of life will be harsh and in some cases not even fun to play)
you could have a perfect set up, and you decide raise one kid, unbeknown to you they only know how to eat berries. what will happen is, they will go and eat all the berries, then once their are no berries they might try to put soil on them and water. but what will happen is it takes them a while to refresh they will run out of food, so they run over to your eggs, and start eating all those.  In the mean time the berries spawn.  luckily for them they are now an adult they can eat 3x as before so now they can polish off 3 full bushes  in a matter of seconds, so they run over to the berries starts munching down again, rinse repeat till their are no eggs left, they will then move on to your stew, pies and anything else they can get his hands on.  this will all happen, and their food multiplier will have never gone over 1x. while in this same process they disrupt the multiplier of every other colonist all because they ate all of that one type of food source.

people might see EVE as luck, but it comes down to a thought process of weighing your options, i had a few games where i went back to back level 60 eve's, with children. i will say that yeah sure their is good and bad luck. but if you don't know how to deal the the bad luck, you would never be able to maximize your good luck.

Ok that's it feel like i could keep ranting but were gonna leave it their another post another time.

Last edited by Stepping_Razor (2018-07-26 03:59:48)

Board footer