One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-23 05:45:58

SpreadDaWord

Re: Obesity? - an idea

Yes
EDIT: Yes please

Last edited by SpreadDaWord (2018-07-23 05:49:32)

#27 2018-07-23 09:26:25

sc0rp

+1

Penalty/slowdown should be really small.  Not stone lifting level, not toddler level, maybe kid level.  It's more of a hint that you're doing something wrong and as information for other players (+ model change).

You should overeat 2-3 times in a row for it to kick in - sometimes you have no choice.

It shouldn't kick in when you were hungry/starving and overate (mainly kids and elders).

Bonus for helicopter mothers: your kid should grow fat if you pick&feed him too often.  Or maybe not.  I'm pretty sure they would be doing this even more frequently: "Look how healthy and well fed he looks!" wink

#28 2018-07-23 22:20:58

Luniatji

Maybe it can be with a skinny character change.. when almost starving you look skeleton like (Nice too the moms to see that their child almost died wink), when eating to much you get a obese character.

#29 2018-07-24 16:39:59

Valences42

Hm.  Progression could be as follows:

a.) skin and bones character model = a character most near death, movement speed is quite slow, coldness sensitivity is high but heat sensitivity is mostly dampened.

b.) skinny character model = a character enduring famine, movement speed is a bit slower, coldness sensitivity is slightly heightened but heat sensitivity is slightly dulled.

c.) current character model = well balanced food situation, movement speed is optimal (the way it is right now), temp sensitivity is normally calculated

d.) chubby character model = a character who has started to go over the 3 times limit for overeating, speed is slightly slower, coldness sensitivity is slightly dampened but heat sensitivity is heightened.

e.) obese character model = a character who is past the chub phase, speed is quite slow. (not quite willy wonka blueberry kid, but getting there...) coldness sensitivity is mostly dampened.  Heat sensitivity is mostly heightened.

I agree with other posts that these states should be progressive and reversible, although how would one measure it?  An obese character walks x tiles without overeating?  It might be nice to designate specifics on what it means to overeat as well.
For example, in my mind 'overeating' means you eat a mutton pie when you're only 2 bars missing or something.  To others, it might mean something else. 

Is overeating based on the base state of the food and not the 'yum' bonus? 

I also agree with the babies and elders exemption.  Kids with hair should catch on fast I think, so I don't think they should be exempt.

Also, how would lag be accounted for?  I've had bad lag to the point where I've had to make a habit of clicking to start eating a piece of food a long time before my computer actually catches up...

A big concern:  Obese character models would decisively need to be very different than any sort of pregnancy depiction to avoid unintentional encouragement of matricide.  How to do this?  I'm not sure.  We don't have either at the moment.  Pregnant models or Obese models.  I'm just scared of the ethical ramifications.  Maybe a simple mouse-over status tag.  For example 'Eve Jones, (Status:Expecting)'.  Or, 'Eve Jones, (Status: Famished).  'Eve Jones, (Status:Chubby)'.  Mouse-over status would alleviate the pressure on character modelling?  But that would require carrot sponges to stand still, which I don't think they want to do... haha.

(I also really like the idea of facial expressions being an involuntary sign that someone is dying of hunger... or some way of using non verbal gestures to communicate.  That's been discussed in other threads, however.)

#30 2018-07-24 16:58:11

Alf

Valences42 wrote:

Hm.  Progression could be as follows:

[...]

A big concern:  Obese character models would decisively need to be very different than any sort of pregnancy depiction to avoid unintentional encouragement of matricide.  How to do this?  I'm not sure.  We don't have either at the moment.  Pregnant models or Obese models.  I'm just scared of the ethical ramifications.  Maybe a simple mouse-over status tag.  For example 'Eve Jones, (Status:Expecting)'.  Or, 'Eve Jones, (Status: Famished).  'Eve Jones, (Status:Chubby)'.  Mouse-over status would alleviate the pressure on character modelling?  But that would require carrot sponges to stand still, which I don't think they want to do... haha.

(I also really like the idea of facial expressions being an involuntary sign that someone is dying of hunger... or some way of using non verbal gestures to communicate.  That's been discussed in other threads, however.)

As I am against the idea of dynamic model change because it takes too much labour and I don't think it would be esthetic to have all the peeps around changing their posture all the time I would just like to say a common story about a pregnant woman in the public bus.

A stood up to let her sit because she was pregnant. Then she started crying, beacause, well, she wasn't.

Last edited by Alf (2018-07-24 16:58:46)

#31 2018-07-24 17:44:13

Valences42

Aw, that's embarrassing for both people!  I'm sorry to hear that happened. 

I do see your point about aesthetics and posture change being too much.  I'm also not sure how time intensive it would be to both create the character models and code the dynamic changes based on player actions.  I guess, it's a game, and it can't get toooo realistic... then there's *other* problems.  smile  Like mistaking someone for being preggers when they aren't... lol.

The mouse over status would be a good alternative to or compliment to changing character models, I feel.

These changes are pretty significant, but I still feel that they would greatly enhance gameplay and help players gauge constructive and destructive behavior much faster and more accurately.  We all know how Jason wants the players to be policemen, teachers and leaders.  This would definitely help!  It's a visual representation of people's actions and the effects they are having on society as a result.

#32 2018-07-24 17:55:28

Valences42

Oh wait, I guess I misunderstood you.  You're against dynamic model change but still want to show obesity?

Is that more accurate? 

Or you wanted obesity but then thought better of it because it seems like it would be giving Jason way too much work on top of all the other stuff he is doing?

Or you wanted obesity to be a one way street?  Once you get fat, you can't go back?  Life's super short, why not.

#33 2018-07-24 18:10:09

Alf

Valences42 wrote:

Oh wait, I guess I misunderstood you.  You're against dynamic model change but still want to show obesity?

Is that more accurate? 

Or you wanted obesity but then thought better of it because it seems like it would be giving Jason way too much work on top of all the other stuff he is doing?

Or you wanted obesity to be a one way street?  Once you get fat, you can't go back?  Life's super short, why not.

Going against 'dynamic' I meant I wanted only obese and non-obese models and changes between them a lot less frequent (actually I imagine a preson going max. twice in their lifespan fat if they managed to get skinny again).

#34 2018-07-24 18:54:58

Valences42

Oh, ok!  That makes so much more sense.  Thanks for clarifying. 

So, a higher benchmark for overeating affecting the character sprite, then?

#35 2018-07-24 19:08:28

Alf

Valences42 wrote:

Oh, ok!  That makes so much more sense.  Thanks for clarifying. 

So, a higher benchmark for overeating affecting the character sprite, then?

No idea what benchmark in this meaning is, but sure!

#36 2018-07-24 19:26:08

Valences42

Higher benchmark meaning it takes a higher amount of times before the sprite is affected.  That way we don't have yo-yo dieting cavemen. 

I was thinking overeating 3 times in a row might be a good benchmark, but maybe are you thinking it should be higher? 

Or within a certain ratio?  Example:

regular eating
overeat
regular eating
overeat
overeat
regular eating
=
normal sprite (50% overeating ratio)

but

overeat
regular eating
overeat
regular eating
overeat
overeat
=
obese sprite (66% overeating ratio)

sprite becomes obese after going past the 50% overeating ratio benchmark

thoughts?

#37 2018-07-26 22:10:03

Stepping_Razor

anything to get people to stop spamming berries.  once you reach x10 food multiplier easy game.

#38 2018-07-26 23:43:16

Alf

I would leave the numbers to Jason

#39 2018-07-27 05:58:50

pein

i seen lag spike even if my character beard was growing out and thats 12 min difference, so i think at least 5 min in a state would be needed

im all pro to give one chance of redemption, one time save yourself from death by starvation, then you die normally like now, maybe with 5 seconds clamping on ground to say last words

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#40 2018-07-27 08:05:41

JonySky
Website

I really like the idea, but I think I only need to implement models for fat if the player is saturated with carrots, berries, etc.

look at the percentage of players dying of hunger ... is very high ... do not complicate it more or we will end up playing alone!

#41 2018-07-27 12:56:44

Valences42

Pein, how do you clamp the keyboard?  (sorry for the noobish question.)

JonySky, I do see your point about keeping things simple so we don't end up playing alone... My concern is that we might end up playing alone because of malicious gluttony... I just want to stop the carrot sponges from starving out the productive players.  The percentage of starving players may decrease if we could see carrot sponges and deal with them accordingly. 

Or, it might end up like you said where it just over-complicates things for new players?  Case in point, I thought decay (before it was implemented) would be fantastic!  I was 100% for it.  Then it came out in an update and everyone threw a fit because it wasn't balanced yet.  I haven't played in a while but I think you can recycle broken iron tools now... can someone confirm?

Also, many times I've died from lag and not from starvation.  The game still logs starvation as a cause of death for many, but I know I'm not the only one experiencing this anomaly.

#42 2018-07-27 15:39:03

JonySky
Website

that lag is a reality ... Yes!
But I am sure that most people do not die because of this, I am tired of seeing children and adults go out to explore without food in their hands or in a basket and never come back ... you only need to see any family tree ..

But I support your idea about being able to detect sponge players with a model for "fat"

Anyway you have to be careful how this is implemented, when in an early camp a woman has a child, sometimes there is no choice but to stay static eating only berries and taking care of their children

it's not fair to "mark" it as fat

Last edited by JonySky (2018-07-27 15:39:16)

#43 2018-07-27 20:22:42

Turnipseed

Valences42 wrote:

Pein, how do you clamp the keyboard?  (sorry for the noobish question.)

JonySky, I do see your point about keeping things simple so we don't end up playing alone... My concern is that we might end up playing alone because of malicious gluttony... I just want to stop the carrot sponges from starving out the productive players.  The percentage of starving players may decrease if we could see carrot sponges and deal with them accordingly. 

Or, it might end up like you said where it just over-complicates things for new players?  Case in point, I thought decay (before it was implemented) would be fantastic!  I was 100% for it.  Then it came out in an update and everyone threw a fit because it wasn't balanced yet.  I haven't played in a while but I think you can recycle broken iron tools now... can someone confirm?

Also, many times I've died from lag and not from starvation.  The game still logs starvation as a cause of death for many, but I know I'm not the only one experiencing this anomaly.

You can recycle now at a 2:1 ratio broken steel tool:steel bar

Works like:
Broken steel tool+broken steel tool= scrap steel
Scrap steel+bowl+plate= unforged crucible

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Board footer