One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 10:44:27

Alf

Obesity? - an idea

Yesterday I came up with an idea. Sometimes people tend to eat nutritious food when they are missing only 2-3 bars of food meter (new players in particular). What if every player had a limit (dynamic or static) of overeating he can do before getting fat. When it's reached their character model would turn to an obese one. A fat person would get back to 'normal' after a certain time provided no overeating was committed. The numbers are to be figured out.

Why this? I think it might help the newer players to see that they are just eating through supplies like madmen and understand their misdoings, while telling the others who is the bad boy out there. Just like in real life you would be able to see somebody pretty 'chubby'.

I would be highly against any profits like 'fat-to-burn' that would come out of this as it would only encourage players to eat more and more.

There could obviously be more restrictions for obese players like inability to perform certain activities (carry big stones for example) but I think just the change of the player model would be enough.

Although I understand that adding a 'fat' stage to every model there is would be a lot of work for Jason I think he could figure out how to manage that efficiently.

Tell me what you think folks.

#2 2018-07-21 10:57:01

Neo

Re: Obesity? - an idea

+1

#3 2018-07-21 11:11:13

Aurora Aurora

+1

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#4 2018-07-21 12:44:43

PunkyFickle

Aurora Aurora wrote:

+1

Aurora plusoneing a new way to draw attention.

Last edited by PunkyFickle (2018-07-21 19:37:36)

#5 2018-07-21 12:56:50

Aurora Aurora

PunkyFickle wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

+1

Arora plusoneing a new way to draw attention.

Life is not fun if Im not the center of attention

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#6 2018-07-21 13:00:51

Alleria

+1

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#7 2018-07-21 14:20:53

tana

i like the idea
a good restriction would be that they run slower, just like if they carried heavy things. i think that would be a very good detereant of overeating.
of course a good balance would have to be found, cause sometimes you have no choice, it did happen that i ate omelettes or cactus fruit as infant or elderly cause there really was nothing else close enough.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#8 2018-07-21 14:57:06

Alf

tana wrote:

i like the idea
a good restriction would be that they run slower, just like if they carried heavy things. i think that would be a very good detereant of overeating.
of course a good balance would have to be found, cause sometimes you have no choice, it did happen that i ate omelettes or cactus fruit as infant or elderly cause there really was nothing else close enough.

That's why I proposed becoming fat after a certain limit reached, not immediate. Overeating early-lifestage and late-lifestage would be somehow calculated into that.

#9 2018-07-21 16:23:01

Valences42

Alf wrote:
tana wrote:

i like the idea

That's why I proposed becoming fat after a certain limit reached, not immediate. Overeating early-lifestage and late-lifestage would be somehow calculated into that.

+1

How do they get skinny again?

Maybe it's my crazy mind, but the various kids' tendencies and pitfalls on Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory come to mind.

Bloated Blueberry character sprite would be pretty hilarious and terrifying.  Maybe a gooseberry variant?

#10 2018-07-21 16:23:27

Turnipseed

Stab the fattys...

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#11 2018-07-21 16:33:24

pein

been proposed

my idea:
collapse when starving, others could save you
obesity would make you move slower
you would need to go below half food meter to lose weight
also skinny characters when u starve from normal and saved, then must be full to turn normal
this would be a team play save mechanic

obesity should be good for moms, like they would lose heat slower
and collapsing wouldnt immobilize you just lose the bonus

and ofc i would have visual indication on sponges

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-07-21 17:07:26

Alf

pein wrote:

been proposed

my idea:
obesity would make you move slower
you would need to go below half food meter to lose weight
also skinny characters when u starve from normal and saved, then must be full to turn normal
this would be a team play save mechanic

obesity should be good for moms, like they would lose heat slower
and collapsing wouldnt immobilize you just lose the bonus

and ofc i would have visual indication on sponges

I don't really like the idea of team work. Personally these features in games gave me the feeling they were added so artificially just to make any interaction between folks (people lying down on the ground who cannot get up lol). Also this would give some kind of a 'second chance' and I like the game is only about that one you already have.

Also I don't think we actually need this dynamic system of changing from skinny to fat etc. it's just too much as for how fast things change inside the game. For me just a timer after you get fat is enough to lose weight and get back to normal (default).

On the other hand I'm thinking that some people might just overeat on purpose then just to stand out with their character model but that would be actually to be checked in game.

Last edited by Alf (2018-07-21 17:08:22)

#13 2018-07-21 17:38:40

Neo

Alf wrote:

On the other hand I'm thinking that some people might just overeat on purpose then just to stand out with their character model but that would be actually to be checked in game.

It's sorta like how all the cursed players did so deliberately. They shouldn't be suprised when they get stabbed for being fat.

Personally I'd try to give "fat" people a chance to redeem themselves and change there ways but I'd expect a lot of people to go "ohh, a sponge" and kill them.

But if they were truly a sponge then all ponds and wells would be drained.

#14 2018-07-21 17:43:13

Turnipseed

Neo wrote:
Alf wrote:

It's sorta like how all the cursed players did so deliberately. They shouldn't be suprised when they get stabbed for being fat.

Personally I'd try to give "fat" people a chance to redeem themselves and change there ways but I'd expect a lot of people to go "ohh, a sponge" and kill them.

But if they were truly a sponge then all ponds and wells would be drained.

... i repeat ...

STAB FATTY

Sponges are the worst kinda players

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#15 2018-07-21 17:50:30

Valences42

Alf, what is your idea of teamwork?  I'm curious to know why you are against it.  It's a coop game, right?

#16 2018-07-21 18:00:21

Valences42

pein wrote:

been proposed

my idea:

I really like that!  It would make for some great stories if anything else.  Bonding with strangers.  Struggle to survive.  I mean, we already have adoption and trading.  Why not?

Another place on the forums really early on mentioned that hunger/extreme starvation could potentially be displayed as a change on the character's facial expressions.  That way people who dash off into the wilds suddenly in the middle of a conversation are not seen as super rude, haha.  If I find it, and figure out a way to add the link to the thread I will.

Along the same lines, what if sponging was just a simple facial expression?  Like a shit eating grin and rosy cheeks.  Perpetual and unnerving. 

If that's too subtle, we definitely need to differentiate pregnancy sprites from obesity sprites.  If that is not differentiated, matricide could burgeon out of a huge misunderstanding.  (I know pregnancy sprites are not a thing... at least last time I played.)  Perhaps it could be someone like getting sleepy/hunched over and a double chin?

#17 2018-07-21 18:25:10

Alf

Valences42 wrote:

Alf, what is your idea of teamwork?  I'm curious to know why you are against it.  It's a coop game, right?

I like cooperation when it is needed not made necessary. For example if you have a smart person with you at the forge and plenty of iron you can do really a lot very fast in a single charcoal run. It's very effective and rewarding, that's the teamwork I like because it arose just of a simple need of better performance. I do not like teamwork made the way "I can't stand up on my own help me".

EDIT:

To make the short story long:

Actually if you take a look on the cooperation that already is in game it's done very well. Some people are tending berries others making stew and other running with dung. Of course one could attend all these activities instead of depending on others but it's just, well, pointless. This is so natural in terms of cooperation and that's what I like.

Last edited by Alf (2018-07-21 18:34:20)

#18 2018-07-21 19:40:04

PunkyFickle

Valences42 wrote:

How do they get skinny again?

Little reminder : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 632#p24632

#19 2018-07-21 20:10:02

Valences42

Alf wrote:
Valences42 wrote:

I like cooperation when it is needed not made necessary. For example if you have a smart person with you at the forge and plenty of iron you can do really a lot very fast in a single charcoal run. It's very effective and rewarding, that's the teamwork I like because it arose just of a simple need of better performance. I do not like teamwork made the way "I can't stand up on my own help me".

EDIT:

To make the short story long:

Actually if you take a look on the cooperation that already is in game it's done very well. Some people are tending berries others making stew and other running with dung. Of course one could attend all these activities instead of depending on others but it's just, well, pointless. This is so natural in terms of cooperation and that's what I like.

Ah, I see.  Encouraged Mutualism and not Unnecessary Hobbling.  Are you afraid of having your sense of agency being artificially weakened for the sake of ham-fisted realism?  Not being able to fight for yourself against the throes of starvation could be disenfranchising to say the least.  This game is already brutal though, so who knows.

I like both points of view though!  Aw...  I could totally argue for both all day.

I think Jason's refusal to make baby slings is a form of unnecessary hobbling... but maybe I'm salty!  Whining players unite.  Haha.

What if instead of collapsing and being immobile, it was an initial collapse then just crawling?  Would that be an okay compromise?

#20 2018-07-22 06:48:45

pein

i actually hate dying as i type my last words and dont really like to lose 5 minutes by talking, realyl would be nice to spell out a sentence before death

would help new players, dont need to be op, and forever, but some starving animation, you collapse, you crawl, you got a chance, next time you die like now
or you could lose 5 years of life, so any time your hunger bar reaches 0 your life expectancy drops, which kills you eventually
people could choose not to help you or even picking up all food before you reach it, for example having 5 seconds to crawl and eat or die. you could say something or try to survive

as for obesity, slowdown would be powerful enough to convince people to avoid it
moving X tiles could make you normal again

i would like some visual indication if somebody is starving

lot of times in history, obesity was sign of wealth and health, as you had enough food to sustain yourself and be resilient to illness (yeah a bit of fat helps against illness and stress)
of course too much is bad, while i would like different playstyles, you can stay home and dont care about being slow
or be very skinny but bit faster at run, or just normal, would add some extra strategy to game, uniqueness of characters, and you could talk to new players who dont understand how food works, yesterday my baby girl  munched a carrot 2 seconds after grew hair
and ofc im mad and tell her, then she quits
probably better off without her, especially i had others, but the amount of food wasted is an issue

Maybe food remnants? and we could use it up somehow? feed to animals, of course it would clutter the place anyway but maybe would remind people not to do that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2018-07-22 11:35:06

Alf

pein wrote:

i actually hate dying as i type my last words and dont really like to lose 5 minutes by talking, realyl would be nice to spell out a sentence before death

would help new players, dont need to be op, and forever, but some starving animation, you collapse, you crawl, you got a chance, next time you die like now
or you could lose 5 years of life, so any time your hunger bar reaches 0 your life expectancy drops, which kills you eventually
people could choose not to help you or even picking up all food before you reach it, for example having 5 seconds to crawl and eat or die. you could say something or try to survive

as for obesity, slowdown would be powerful enough to convince people to avoid it
moving X tiles could make you normal again

i would like some visual indication if somebody is starving

lot of times in history, obesity was sign of wealth and health, as you had enough food to sustain yourself and be resilient to illness (yeah a bit of fat helps against illness and stress)
of course too much is bad, while i would like different playstyles, you can stay home and dont care about being slow
or be very skinny but bit faster at run, or just normal, would add some extra strategy to game, uniqueness of characters, and you could talk to new players who dont understand how food works, yesterday my baby girl  munched a carrot 2 seconds after grew hair
and ofc im mad and tell her, then she quits
probably better off without her, especially i had others, but the amount of food wasted is an issue

Maybe food remnants? and we could use it up somehow? feed to animals, of course it would clutter the place anyway but maybe would remind people not to do that

As addressing to the whole message, again. I would like to make 'fatness' a feature not a whole mechanic. Things you talk about I believe require some shitton of coding and debugging. We could get just get a little for the moment. Maybe, if needed, expand it later.

Last edited by Alf (2018-07-22 11:35:39)

#22 2018-07-22 17:43:07

Angel Carrillo

Actually, you could pick up a big rock, but if you were too exhausted to hold it up and would be crushed by the big rock.

#23 2018-07-22 18:09:54

Anandamide

Maybe there could also be a risk of having a heart attack that goes up as you age while you're obese. It could be that the chance goes up for consecutive obese years and the average time to death is 5 or ten years, resetting if you go back to a normal weight. You could also have it just be tied to age, regardless of the length of time they have been obese, with an asymmetric distribution where few die young of obesity with the average age of death slowly working up to 45 or 50 and then rapidly leveling off to 90%+ dead by 50-55. A third option is premature loss of food bars.

#24 2018-07-23 00:05:43

Lexyvil

I actually support that idea. It may only be a visual cue that a player eats food inefficiently, which could encourage new players not to waste food. The only way I can see people abuse that feature by eating a lot is so that they can look different from others.

#25 2018-07-23 02:14:03

Schlorghan

Anandamide wrote:

Maybe there could also be a risk of having a heart attack that goes up as you age while you're obese. It could be that the chance goes up for consecutive obese years and the average time to death is 5 or ten years, resetting if you go back to a normal weight. You could also have it just be tied to age, regardless of the length of time they have been obese, with an asymmetric distribution where few die young of obesity with the average age of death slowly working up to 45 or 50 and then rapidly leveling off to 90%+ dead by 50-55. A third option is premature loss of food bars.

What he could also impliment there is some mutations. Like if your family line has a history of heart attacks, you'll have a higher chance of one

Z = your chance of heart attack
X = mothers chance
Y = Fathers chance
N = Random number generator (-1)-(1)

Z = (X + Y)/2 + N

So every interval of idk how much the heart attack chance is rolled and voila.

Now I don't like the Idea of random chance effecting your chance of survival, BUT I do like genetics, Which is why I like How jason made it so you looked more like your parents.

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

Board footer