2. set up literally everything
3. watch all ur kids die
4. die alone

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=604094
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=642037
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=642474
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=573387
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=548936

why???? is it the set up of my camps?? is it where the camps are??? i generally pick places just flooded with food.... i dont understand why i havent been able to make a single successful camp. is this all just luck? what do other ppl do to actually make their camps successful???

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=644016 <- this is my most recent eve camp. still got a daughter alive as i post this... but im 99% sure theyll all die by gen 4. why is that??

#2 2018-07-21 06:14:27

WomanWizard

Re: im going to lose my goddamn mind

It's just bad luck with new players. I literally spawned on top of a large camp tonight with an established berry farm, forge, tools, etc. and my kids/grandkids were still starving.

#3 2018-07-21 07:17:15

Neo

WomanWizard wrote:

It's just bad luck with new players. I literally spawned on top of a large camp tonight with an established berry farm, forge, tools, etc. and my kids/grandkids were still starving.

You'd think everyone would be able to at least survive in a city after finishing the tutorial.

And yeah playing Eve is mostly luck rather then skill tbh.

#4 2018-07-21 09:11:24

Trick

I have been spawning into Eve camps that are 'flooded with food', but there isn't any water nearby.  I suicide in those camps.

You *HAVE* to be near water to survive.

The ideal camp spot is on the edge of a swamp with a shit load of ponds, a forest, and desert for bonus.  Any other nearby biomes (particularly those with lots of rabbits) are also awesome.

#5 2018-07-21 14:04:11

Turnipseed

Ive found tens of perfect spots at three way intersections of swamp, desert, and green. Made huge farms, stew, burritos, and metal tools as eve.

While raising all the girls and a few boys... i usually hug a snake at around 50 because all my kids starve right by food...

Edit: had to add commas

Quick joke: whats the difference between a cat and a comma?

A cat has claws at the end of its paws, and a comma is a PAUSE at the end of a CLAUSE.

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-07-21 14:06:25)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-07-21 14:26:20

happynova

Eving is freaking hard.  My ultimate dream in this game is to found a new town from scratch and pass my chosen name down into (dare I hope!) double-digit generations.  Well, I've been playing for four months, and so far, I haven't come remotely close.  Mostly, I barely manage grandkids. I either die young and hungry or old and alone. 

I've found that it seems like I can either find a good spot and get things set up for a farm before the food runs out (assuming I don't get really unlucky and tread on a rattlesnake or something), or I can raise kids who don't quickly die on me, but I can't manage to do both at once.  I've had a lot more success, though, as the daughter of an Eve who found a good spot but either immediately died or then didn't know what to do with it and left me to set everything up.  So I'm starting to conclude my biggest problem is that finding a perfect place takes too damned long.  I often feel like I have the choice between  settling for one that's marginal -- not quite enough berry bushes, no handy desert, or water a little too far from the food -- or spending too many of my fertile years looking.

WomanWizard wrote:

Yeah, so much depends on whether your kids have a clue what they're doing, and that's not really something that's in your control.

I was at a nice little proto-town last night.  Not a whole lot there yet, but there was a really good farm and we were getting started on tools.  There was so much food.  And almost every one of the kids starved.  They'd mostly just stand there around the fire once they were old enough to eat going, "Food, food, food, where food?"  And not listening to me when I tried to tell them: there's lots of food, just find some.  There's berries, omelets, carrots, stew.  There's a bowl of popcorn right here.  Right here!  Here!  Eat this!  Nope.  Starved.  If they'd bothered moving two tiles to the left, they'd have seen the berry farm.  Hell, there was an undug burdock visible from the baby fire, and I know the tutorial tries to teach you how to eat those.  Sigh.  And we had so few competent adults trying to keep things going that I didn't have time to give them much in the way of individual instructions.

I really want to encourage newbies, give them a chance to play, and help them learn and not leave them to die just because they're new.  It's vitally important not to discourage new player.s  But when the ratio of experienced people to people who haven't even figured out how to feed themselves yet is that low, it's rough.  Not so bad in an already established town, maybe, but in an early settlement, it's killer.

#7 2018-07-21 14:34:59

startafight

Trick wrote:

I have been spawning into Eve camps that are 'flooded with food', but there isn't any water nearby.  I suicide in those camps.

You *HAVE* to be near water to survive.

The ideal camp spot is on the edge of a swamp with a shit load of ponds, a forest, and desert for bonus.  Any other nearby biomes (particularly those with lots of rabbits) are also awesome.

i only ever set up with at least 4-5 ponds nearby. and always with a desert as my base. i guess it is just luck after all hmm/ looks like my newest eve play got to 7 gens tho. thats a record

#8 2018-07-21 14:39:35

sc0rp

happynova wrote:

I often feel like I have the choice between  settling for one that's marginal -- not quite enough berry bushes, no handy desert, or water a little too far from the food -- or spending too many of my fertile years looking.

I think you're just trying too hard.  I did the same things as you and had similar results.  I finally did double-digit gens as Eve when I changed my approach a little.  What worked for me is to search for spot for like 5 minutes max.  Not found anything promising => suicide and next Eve run, hopefully in better location.  RNG is sometimes a bitch.  And you cannot run for too long as the risk of not having surviving daughters later is just too high.

#9 2018-07-21 14:45:37

happynova

sc0rp wrote:

I think you're just trying too hard.  I did the same things as you and had similar results.  I finally did double-digit gens as Eve when I changed my approach a little.  What worked for me is to search for spot for like 5 minutes max.  Not found anything promising => suicide and next Eve run, hopefully in better location.  RNG is sometimes a bitch.  And you cannot run for too long as the risk of not having surviving daughters later is just too high.

Yeah, I think a lot of my problem is I hate suiciding. It feels like giving up, or cheating, or something. I always want to try to make a go of it, whatever hand I'm dealt.  To me, the randomless of where you spawn seems like part of the fun of the game, but I suspect you're right, and knowing when not to bother with an Eve run is just part of the strategy.

#10 2018-07-21 15:01:30

sc0rp

happynova wrote:

Yeah, I think a lot of my problem is I hate suiciding. It feels like giving up, or cheating, or something. I always want to try to make a go of it, whatever hand I'm dealt.  To me, the randomless of where you spawn seems like part of the fun of the game, but I suspect you're right, and knowing when not to bother with an Eve run is just part of the strategy.

I know what you mean.   I sometimes do the same and just try to do the best I can with what I got.  Especially when I'm born as Eve's child at misplaced camp.  I just don't expect for this camps to last long.  I treat it more like kata exercise - to hone my skills in really bad place.  Whatever I learn helps later a lot when things get tough for a while at good spot.

Maybe some expert can chip in.  West, what do you do to get to the double digit gens so consistently?

#11 2018-07-21 15:13:12

happynova

sc0rp wrote:

I know what you mean.   I sometimes do the same and just try to do the best I can with what I got.  Especially when I'm born as Eve's child at misplaced camp.  I just don't expect for this camps to last long.  I treat it more like kata exercise - to hone my skills in really bad place.  Whatever I learn helps later a lot when things get tough for a while at good spot.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way.  Also, I have sometimes been known to pick up and leave my mom (or, if I'm very lucky, persuade her to move) if I can find a new spot nearby that's actually got, y'know, water. smile

sc0rp wrote:

Maybe some expert can chip in.  West, what do you do to get to the double digit gens so consistently?

I will take all the advice I can get!

#12 2018-07-22 07:30:13

kubassa
Banned

and another post about how awesome you think you are at a no skill game.......... Ever think you attitude is shit so people don't want to play with you kid? I would suicide being born to you too.

Do this, don't do that..... I'm the best you're shit....... GOD.

Stop being such a scrub kid.

I got huge ballz.

#13 2018-07-22 10:57:18

pein

purpose
explain some basic stuff and ask them to repeat it
sometimes works that a new player gets some tedious work done
people require some rolepay and kind words after some abandonment

kids with a job, however repetitive it may be, seem to live longer

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-07-22 13:39:22

sc0rp

kubassa wrote:

and another post about how awesome you think you are at a no skill game.......... Ever think you attitude is shit so people don't want to play with you kid? I would suicide being born to you too.

How is your refund going, Kubassa?  Any problem with it?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 441#p21441

kubassa wrote:

LOL. If this garbage was in the main page video explaining the game i would have held onto my $20.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 476#p21476

jasonrohrer wrote:

kubassa, please email me for a refund.

#15 2018-07-22 17:03:42

WomanWizard

Best I've managed personally is 13 gens. I too would love to know how some of the more consistent Eve's manage it.

The technique that usually gets me at least a few generations goes like this:

Fire-making tools, kiln, fire three or four bowls and plates each, along with the nozzle for future smithing use so they don't have to waste kindling later. Cover the kiln for charcoal if it doesn't go out before I'm done. Fry up some eggs on the coals of the fire I used to make the pottery.

Usually at this point I have a kid who sees me making eggs and they'll focus on gathering eggs. Good, more food while the berries are growing.

Set up three by three berry farm, and maybe another if I have time. If any of my kids seem like they're taking over and handling the farm, get the rabbits started. I have yet to birth a child who actually comes back when I send them off to hunt rabbits, so at this point I usually just take over this job. I almost always have a kid who wants to take over smithing and gets all up in my way if I try to do it as an Eve anyway, so I leave that to them.

Get the pouch for the bellows put together, and focus on making backpacks for the rest of my life. You'd be surprised at how much backpacks and baskets improve the chances of your future gens, and few people ever make them.

I might bring back seeds for new crops too while I'm out hunting. Corn is great for the kiddos.

#16 2018-07-22 17:12:39

FounderOne

As eve you can improve the grounding for your family. There are many things that you can improve, even small things make huge differences. But you still need to rely on a good portion of luck.

You can have a good area to settle and you can do perfect, but if your kids gen 2+3 don't work enough - it's doomed.

My last eve games were a bit weird. I finished a lot of stuff planted and gathered tons of food. Just two kids really worked still there were 9 more doing nothing so they died in the later generations, when all the women started to pop out kids.

If the 9 people provided just a little bit this could have been a great place for a town.

To get bigger chances you need to increase your eve games. So if you make one eve game they die probatly, if you make 5 one maybe will make it.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#17 2018-07-22 17:39:15

West

As most people allready wrote, these days lasting lineages are based on luck. There needs to be good players in every generation or it fails.

In my eve runs I mostly focus on findig a perfekt spot. Heat+big greenland+ 5 ponds or more. (This sometimes takes forever)
Then I try to make 4 bowls, around 8+ plates, and a nozzle.
If I am lucky I get a kid that knows how to setup a farm. I meanwhile focus on getting the smithing started so we have an axe and a hoe asap.

With all the new players it got really hard to get a long lasting lineage. Longest one in last few weeks was around 25. (thats ok, but I want to beat my record tongue)

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#18 2018-07-22 18:51:46

sc0rp

West wrote:

With all the new players it got really hard to get a long lasting lineage. Longest one in last few weeks was around 25. (thats ok, but I want to beat my record tongue)

I think we need to introduce money into OHOL to align people working on town better before that happens.

West wrote:

Longest lineage: [...] Eve West  "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"

I'm afraid even to ask what you were doing...

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-22 18:52:55)

#19 2018-07-22 20:02:13

happynova

WomanWizard wrote:

Fire-making tools, kiln, fire three or four bowls and plates each, along with the nozzle for future smithing use so they don't have to waste kindling later. Cover the kiln for charcoal if it doesn't go out before I'm done. Fry up some eggs on the coals of the fire I used to make the pottery.

Usually at this point I have a kid who sees me making eggs and they'll focus on gathering eggs. Good, more food while the berries are growing.

This is a good point.  I think I should probably be getting eggs cooking much sooner than I usually do, and more of them.  I'm usually hyper-focused on getting the farm going ASAP, but if you run out of food before anything grows, it doesn't do you much good.  And, yeah,  now that you mention it, gathering eggs is the one job I keep seeing kids doing with no prompting whatsoever, even when they don't seem inclined/able to do much else.

FounderOne wrote:

To get bigger chances you need to increase your eve games. So if you make one eve game they die probatly, if you make 5 one maybe will make it.

Heck, maybe it is really just a numbers game, and I'm just not doing it often enough for statistics to start working for me.

#20 2018-07-22 20:28:50

WomanWizard

happynova wrote:
WomanWizard wrote:

This is a good point.  I think I should probably be getting eggs cooking much sooner than I usually do, and more of them.  I'm usually hyper-focused on getting the farm going ASAP, but if you run out of food before anything grows, it doesn't do you much good.  And, yeah,  now that you mention it, gathering eggs is the one job I keep seeing kids doing with no prompting whatsoever, even when they don't seem inclined/able to do much else.

I think a lot of people underestimate how useful eggs can be in an Eve run. I just like to try and make things as efficiently as possible, which is why I use the coals from my pottery work for cooking. Why waste them, right?

And yeah, it's super easy for kids to gather eggs, since you're usually setting up close to ponds anyway.

#21 2018-07-22 21:28:46

startafight

sc0rp wrote:
kubassa wrote:

How is your refund going, Kubassa?  Any problem with it?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 441#p21441

kubassa wrote:

LOL. If this garbage was in the main page video explaining the game i would have held onto my $20.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 476#p21476

jasonrohrer wrote:

kubassa, please email me for a refund.

LOL i havent seen this kid around in a while. i wonder why hes back... got banned from another forum maybe?

#22 2018-07-22 21:32:56

startafight

WomanWizard wrote:

Get the pouch for the bellows put together, and focus on making backpacks for the rest of my life. You'd be surprised at how much backpacks and baskets improve the chances of your future gens, and few people ever make them.

yeah i actually havent been making that many bags (b/c the kids always seem to lose em on crops at death) but with the update maybe i should start focusing on that instead.... that and pants tongue

#23 2018-07-23 00:18:28

pein

mine peinados last 8-9 gens
which means i get no chance to help them
gen 4 is a max you can see if your first daughter is decent and u all get pregnant within 4 min
14+14+14+14 is 56 so great great granddaughter?
i generally leave a lot of clay plates and bowls around and start berry
recently had a nice run where sis made tools, i got loot, food
she was opposed to berry farm, yet you need it, not so huge one but some
roads seem to stop extending
she had a kinda inexperienced daughter who almost starved, so i got them berry bowls the entire game

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer