#26 2018-07-20 16:45:36

starving_eve
New User

Re: Favorite Job?

Stripes251 wrote:
zennyrpg wrote:

I grow the milkweed

You are the real hero.

For real. Milkweed farms are rare apparently.

sorry kid no food

#27 2018-07-20 16:51:03

Stripes251

sc0rp wrote:
Stripes251 wrote:
Neo wrote:

Probably smithing, can be frustrating when people crowd your workspace with there babies and use my fire for omelets or just mess with my stuff in general.

But it's great once you get going, You also get alot more respect doing this job then you would for something like farming. It's almost like your own business when people come to you requesting tools and the occasional payment of food.

Shepherding is probably second favorite, like smithing it's annoying when people mess with you. You also need a knife or someone else with a knife helping you, If your lucky someone will give you one but nost people won't trust you.

Proper spacing is important I've seen too many crammed towns then clutter builds up and everyone stands in your way as you do stuff. Also the knife problem if it's not in the hands of someone responsible it's killing someone but the shepherds suffer because of trolls and fear of trolls. Even the though the trolls are much less common these days.

Wow.  First person admitting that curse system did its job right.

I mean if you want a guarantee buy a toaster, but It does help sometimes I guess.

I've noticed less murders lately. This is probably more so due to a combination of the movement nerf, red words after a kill, the weapon being locked in peoples hands after the attack. Also in large towns you likely can save the victim if someone made medical supplies. Recently I only encountered 3 murders over the course of maybe 10 hours of gameplay. Two of those times I put down the killer, the other time an old lady cursed the killer. Compared to the last time I played maybe a month ago it was much worse, any time there was a knife expect a murder if not more.

"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." - Monty Python

#28 2018-07-20 17:04:16

Randomname

third.eye wrote:
Randomname wrote:

As a boy I like to hunt and gather iron and as a girl I like to raise babies hopefully whilst making pies/tending sheep.

Okay wow, you're into stereotypic roles with this game, huh? XD

As a girl I tried gathering but babies run often  or just starve if born in the wilds, so I tend to stay home and keep near the good food to increase my chance of my line continuing.  I love checking the lineage page a day later to see how many grand-babies my kids had or if my sons lived long life and see what the last words were.

#29 2018-07-20 17:27:40

Turnipseed

I like the eve grind, but rarely have any smart kids

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#30 2018-07-20 17:30:01

TheRedBug

Stew
Tomorrow,
Every
Weekend.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#31 2018-07-20 17:41:35

DJDisorder

Usually I do what's needed most at the given time, then work my way backwards from there in terms of priorities and my age. If mom's a good one I'll already have an idea of what's needed, if not, it's easy to grab a bit of food when you are young and give the camp/town a preliminary scout, see what's working, what's not. It's rare to find a perfect camp in full working order with no needs...

Also I tend to enjoy a roamers life if everything at base is perfect with no immediate problems. Bringing in stuff for others to make their jobs easier/more efficient.

Finding iron veins and bringing back mountains of the stuff in one life, then in a later on life smithing the floor load of metal is probably my favourite thing to do though.

Last edited by DJDisorder (2018-07-20 17:43:09)

#32 2018-07-20 18:16:54

Stripes251

Randomname wrote:
third.eye wrote:
Randomname wrote:

As a boy I like to hunt and gather iron and as a girl I like to raise babies hopefully whilst making pies/tending sheep.

Okay wow, you're into stereotypic roles with this game, huh? XD

As a girl I tried gathering but babies run often  or just starve if born in the wilds, so I tend to stay home and keep near the good food to increase my chance of my line continuing.  I love checking the lineage page a day later to see how many grand-babies my kids had or if my sons lived long life and see what the last words were.

I would agree with you. I've lost many babies foraging as an eve. So I try to stay near camp.

As an eve it is better to stay in/near town. As the wilds can be dangerous at times and seeing as eves are needed to keep the town going they should avoid taking risks at least until they are past the child bearing age. Kids also have a better chance if born in an area that is set up with lots of food.

I think of the game kind of like an ant colony the queen doesn't go out an forage her sterile workers do that. Even still it's the oldest workers serve as the foragers and soldiers, younger ants tend to the nest until they are older.

"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." - Monty Python

#33 2018-07-20 18:38:14

Schlorghan

Aurora Aurora wrote:

This may sound boring but I love berry farming. Keeps the town fed while I’m able to socialize when the bushes are growing.

Same, except not because of that, but because it's the only thing I know how to do.

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#34 2018-07-20 19:25:19

FeignedSanity

My favorite is probably killing. Either as population control or taking out griefers. Now don't take that at face value, it's just the only part of the game that feels remotely like a challenge anymore. And, in my opinion, it's also the job that has the greatest risk of self harm.

If you miss stabbing someone, and instead put it on the floor or a basket, then you're the one in danger. If you miss someone with an arrow not only can they grab it, but if there's a bunch of stuff on the ground, the arrow will evaporate into the ether. And even provided you kill someone, you still have to survive the murderer handicap.

Unfortunately, I don't get to do this too often, so wolves, snakes, boars, and bears are also on the list. It's not as fun, but you get the chance to do it more often.

Although I'm usually doing something that is more prevalent, so long as it isn't food production (milkweed farm, sheep tending, smithing, hunting, stuff like that)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#35 2018-07-20 20:59:28

JonySky
Website

I like to make backpacks, clothes and tools for others ...
I am very altruistic ... sometimes too much
even if I see that someone really needs my backpack the gift (I notice if someone travels more than me)

#36 2018-07-20 21:17:02

Alf

Telling children stories at the fire pit when I'm too old to venture far. Or currently at the desert edge, because fires are not needed for heat purposes anymore wink

#37 2018-07-20 21:45:36

Ti

If I spawn into a larger town, I usually spend my life running around cleaning other people's shit up. Collecting dishes that have been abandoned away from the cook zone, etc. I often start milkweed farms and run around yelling at people to stop eating the last damn berry off a domestic bush. I have been yelled at for starting milkweed farms in berry mega-centres, where it would be JUST FINE to spend the dirt on milkweed if people wouldn't eat the damn last berry off the bush when there's 4 pots of stew and a dozen pies and half-completed tacos and so on and so forth... I got murdered once for telling someone to not eat the last berry. -_-

I also try to make aprons and backpacks for people if we're short on them, and other storage. I make a lot of carts, but I never make a cart if I can't take it all the way. If there's lots of clothing lying around, I try to make dye. I try to always have mismatched shoes if I can pull it off, but I don't prioritize footwear.

If I'm in a newer gen, I almost always end up collecting eggs and making omelettes. Unlike some assholes, I don't put flat rocks on the blacksmith's fire, or the only fire.

I roll with whatever roleplay I venture into or accidentally come up with, which means I've played a ton of archetypes, and I'll do whatever job I need to for that town/village/Eve start. Like seriously, if no one's cooking, whatever, I'll cook. I have been charged to be the medic, crowned royalty, given a knife to protect the village, told to slaughter sheep, feed sheep, find iron, whatever. I don't think I have a favorite job but I definitely have things I slip into doing if there isn't an obvious job that needs filling.

#38 2018-07-20 22:45:04

FeignedSanity

Ti wrote:

I often start milkweed farms and run around yelling at people to stop eating the last damn berry off a domestic bush.... I got murdered once for telling someone to not eat the last berry. -_-

And why the hell are you yelling at people not to eat the last berry? You just want that bush to sit there with one berry for the rest of eternity? Where is your logic? If you don't take the last berry, you can't grow any new ones. You'll sit there with a single berry forever. I would probably murder you to, if you refused to sit and listen to reason, trying to force me to live in a society of bushes with only one berry.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-20 22:50:05)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#39 2018-07-21 11:54:25

third.eye

Alf wrote:

Telling children stories at the fire pit when I'm too old to venture far. Or currently at the desert edge, because fires are not needed for heat purposes anymore wink

That sounds so cool, nice roleplaying! smile

Last edited by third.eye (2018-07-21 11:54:36)

#40 2018-07-21 14:32:40

talknight2
New User

Still haven't tried all the trades but I like tending to the fire and baking pies. Also practicing my stanchion kit skills hehe. I'll admit I'm clueless about starting a farm...

#41 2018-07-21 15:28:08

happynova

I haven't done it all that much lately, at least not as a full-time career, but I really like baking pies.  I think maybe because it was the first semi-advanced task I ever learned, and I still feel a satisfaction from it.  Also, I cannot stand seeing raw pies left sitting around for ages.  A great food source in completely unusable form?  Hell no.  I will bake those suckers if nobody else does.

I also like making stew.  And farming the stew veggies, which is a task that it seems to me is too often neglected.  (TheRedBug, can I join your cult of stew?)

Oh, and making wells.  There's nothing like digging a well for feeling like you've made a substantial, lasting contribution.

Last edited by happynova (2018-07-21 15:29:04)

#42 2018-07-21 16:33:47

WalrusesConquer

As a child to an Eve I too like telling the next generation about our families history!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#43 2018-07-22 01:54:41

pein

Lately I make straw hats for everyone, cause it's cheap and renewable. But I always look for biggest issue like no water, no carrot, no compost. I fix it and people start working. Get  a cart of clay, iron, branches in basket. I just get loot. Then if compost running, build boxes, gave pens. I made most pens I guess, or extend it. Also fences and cisterns, bucket s. Generally half of city, then next life something different.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#44 2018-07-22 03:26:39

Amber

i like to grow and make all the ingredients for stew.  Once everything is growing, I like to get dirt to place milkweed next to it or in it.  If a girl, i leave town once im old to scavenge.

#45 2018-07-22 04:23:31

belshazzar

I like cooking.  I feel like the village I'm in always somehow runs out of food if I'm not actively working in the food industry, and cooking is more interesting and generally more needed than farming.

#46 2018-07-22 04:27:32

YAHG

Aurora Aurora wrote:

This may sound boring but I love berry farming. Keeps the town fed while I’m able to socialize when the bushes are growing.

You should've said town rapist <3, like on /pol/

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#47 2018-07-22 05:37:56

Ti

FeignedSanity wrote:

And why the hell are you yelling at people not to eat the last berry? You just want that bush to sit there with one berry for the rest of eternity? Where is your logic? If you don't take the last berry, you can't grow any new ones. You'll sit there with a single berry forever. I would probably murder you to, if you refused to sit and listen to reason, trying to force me to live in a society of bushes with only one berry.

No one attempted to reason with me, buddy, I was just murdered for saying it. Given as this is a game of sharing knowledge, I am still throughly pissed.

Now that I know this, wow, mega berry farm cities are throughly useless. Why the heck do people still keep making them? They're now as useless as any other plant you can grow, the only perk for berries was that they regenerated.

Last edited by Ti (2018-07-22 05:42:34)

#48 2018-07-22 11:47:24

Alf

belshazzar wrote:

I like cooking.  I feel like the village I'm in always somehow runs out of food if I'm not actively working in the food industry, and cooking is more interesting and generally more needed than farming.

Villages run out of food even if you do actively work in food industry wink

#49 2018-07-22 22:05:52

startafight

teaching! (not a surprise i guess cos im planning for teachers college lmao) i love getting apprentices and helping them learn a job or skill they can take into the next life. hunting apprentices are a lot of fun but they have a high mortality rate so i stick to teaching em farming or cooking. sometimes smithing if theyre fast enough

#50 2018-07-23 00:31:10

Dee
New User

I like to work on building walls/floors. And because most times everyone else is doing other things I also do a bit of smithing and chopping. Which also goes hand in hand with the other things. (Smelting to make the axe for boards, smelting to make the tools for making stone structures, etc)

Building really does make a town look better and more "advanced".

- DEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEE

Board footer