One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-16 18:58:44

pein

Mini guide: swapping items /updated /2019.jun.10

I think the most op trick is swapping items
When i see someone do it, i trust it more, cause this trick allows very fast actions and higher survival rate

So what it is and how to do it, why to do it?
When you right click an item holding another one, it swaps in your hand, so you pick up something and drop something else.

Most things can be swapped, baskets can only be swapped with stuff which you cannot put in basket.

Tongs: you can drop item with tong on the adobe and swap it, close kiln faster, save the coal.
You can pick up an iron or crucible and swap with something, so you save a few seconds picking up first item while forging, you got 30 sec, swapping stuff can make you heat up one more iron. also effective on making a free space as a tong with item takes one tile instead of two before, you need a free tile while forging to drop tongs as it wont go in the basket or pack. i generally put hammer or stone in the backpack

Eating with swapping. You hold a basket , and right click food on ground which can be pies or carrot, cactus, swap, eat, pick up

Dead lambs. Once a girl sheared in corner entrance, and holding shears was left to die, couldnt come out. so i told her to right click dead lamb, throw in a pit then pick up fleece, she was saved.

Lot of times is see people put down a basket, pick up item next to it, then put it in, or swap all items from basket. Right clicking item in basket, if you got a free space, swaps them out and saves a few clicks. When is clutter, it can be a life saver as you wont find a  tile to put down item, and you starve.

As items got an order to place them together, like tied short shaft and sharp stone, this allows much faster assembling.

Fire, you need to bring two leafs, swap leaf with fire drill bow, swap with leaf, put leaf on fire brand, put on the spot, then swap leaf with kindling, you even got time to chop wood
So this tedious processes can go with half time spent.
Same goes for farming, when you bring bucket, drop on bowl, use bowl on bucket, water plants, drop on hoe, till rows, drop on basket, bring soil, etc. under a lifetime this few second tie savings can go up to ten minutes i think. maybe even more.

Making berry seeds, get 3 berries in a basket, get a flint chip, swap a berry with the flint,  cut it, swap flint with seed, swap the seed with the next berry, cut it, and so on, you end up with 3 seed in basket, half the clicks.
Pies, same way, take one pie out click oven, swap for the next, cook it all while swapping.

So thats how i plant 20+ wheat under 5 minutes, always searching for a free tile when you know your next item to use,is just too slow.

get used to swapping everything, pick up things on the way when you know you will swap other things, helps on cleaning out, while you run in city, pick up worms, then swap to firewood, when you run in forest with a hatchet, drop down hatchet, pick branch, swap back then cut it, etc.
people did speedruns in tutorial,  im pretty sure with proper swapping you can beat a 30 sec on it
now it was  extended with rooms so i think 9 minutes to break out is around the minimum which is 1 minute longer than previously

swap-teleporting
this can be useful to save a bit of time, especially if people stack it up for you
take a basket from a cart, put down, if you right click it's tiel with other full/partially full basket, it will drop all contained items
can be used with clay, iron, limestone, etc. you can put back baskets right away and go get more
best if you place a horse fence in middle of empty tiles and you can teleport items there, others can move or stack it up
thanks for Tarr explaining it

swapping items in duels:
i seen Tarrs video on how he killed a half city with a sword, even if it's unbelieveable for some, it can be done better /even if swords got a bit of cooldown now/
if you stab people you might drop the weapon
then they can pick it up and kill you
to prevent this, you pick up a random item, possibly large one like a branch or flat stone
then drop o nthe weapon with right click
this surprises them and they cant really expect you doing this
now with magic aiming with shift right click you shouldn't go toward any person with angry face aggroed at you cause will kill you
but you can  drop a bloody sword behidn a tree then even if you don't see it, drop other item to the tile with right click to swap into your hand

also works with bow and arrow, normally you need to put down, then take arrow off, take bow, click arrow with it
if you drop the bow with arrow you can swap back to your hand dropping an item to the bow and arrow, so if you see an attacker, you can hide bow and arrow behind tree, take any item, drop on it with right click and you hold a bow loaded which cannot be defeated by short range weapons

Last edited by pein (2019-06-10 00:42:42)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-07-16 20:20:29

AnobeseWalrus

Re: Mini guide: swapping items /updated /2019.jun.10

swapping is so OP I love it

#3 2018-07-16 21:54:39

PunkyFickle

Also, note that you have to swap a bowl or a basket filled with soil by right-clicking the object you want to pick rather than the ground.

#4 2018-07-17 03:59:57

elpargo

nice I was starting to do this without noticing it was a trick smile

#5 2018-07-17 04:12:35

Anshin

Swapping while making stew is a lot of fun. The beans take a lot of equipment to make but it's all worth it...

#6 2018-07-17 04:16:50

zennyrpg

Anshin wrote:

Swapping while making stew is a lot of fun. The beans take a lot of equipment to make but it's all worth it...

I just noticed this the other day.  Makes the beans part much easier.

#7 2018-07-17 12:44:32

D3mon1cblack

you can also drop basket/bowl of dirt thongs with item and all kinds of stuff bij right clicking your character if the tile you stand on is free

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

Board footer