One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-13 17:25:37

FeignedSanity

Eves spawning into old cities too often.

So it appears I have misspoken in my first attempt at this post. The general understanding I got is that it is believed that I am a greifer and city hater. I have (albeit rarely) killed cities in the past and that was the main point of conversation. So, I would like to just say I am not against cities, but I personally don't enjoy being in a city that some lazy eve spawned into and proceeded to use like old gym shorts. I don't like this, so I don't stick around.

I do not kill cities on this premise and, for the most part, I live and let live. I have felt like this has become much more prevalent and decided to seek outside opinions on the forum. It is my understanding that everyone is unanimously okay with, and even endorse, this practice; so I have learned I am in the vast minority. Thank you for any additional comments and discussion.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-13 23:25:04)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2018-07-13 17:43:06

West

Re: Eves spawning into old cities too often.

Just suicide until you are the eve yourself? Then you can start from scratch.
Or if you are a girl, why dont you go play mini eve and start a new villige somewhere around the town? Thats fun too!

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#3 2018-07-13 18:15:33

Joriom
Website

West wrote:

Just suicide until you are the eve yourself?

Don't do that. Its a sin. You'll be punished by magical flying wizard from space for that.

#4 2018-07-13 19:15:17

FeignedSanity

West wrote:

Or if you are a girl, why dont you go play mini eve and start a new villige somewhere around the town? Thats fun too!

Did you read the original post? I mentioned baby suicide and how I don't want to spend 30 minutes of suicide, but have because that's how the game functions. And while I do think that baby suicide is a stupid, tedious mechanic that shouldn't even be in the game. My biggest problem is that nothing ever seems to die or end. There's no ending to any of these cities, death is pointless. A city dying out doesn't mean a damn thing, so there's no stakes. It's so fucking pointless, some jackass is going to spawn into it 20 minutes later. The fact that it seems easy to just to respawn into, or trip over a dead city.

I guess it's a combination of things that really bug me. I was really just trying to see if anyone else has noticed what I've noticed, and if so, what they thought about it.

#5 2018-07-13 19:22:16

sc0rp

Butthurt griefer or what?

#6 2018-07-13 19:31:33

FeignedSanity

sc0rp wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Juvenile terminology aside, I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say here. If you're trying to call me a griefer, I would say that I don't consider myself one. I consider a griefer to be someone that tries to ruin other peoples experience just for the enjoyment of ruining other's experience, which I do not. However, the term "collateral damage" springs to mind. If you're trying to say I'm upset, I wouldn't say so. I would say it's a normal thing to experience emotions such as frustration or irritation, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm upset by anything. It is just a game after all. I would be mindful that you're not projecting.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-13 19:32:15)

#7 2018-07-13 19:38:35

sc0rp

FeignedSanity wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I was referring to this:

FeignedSanity wrote:

You can kill a city (and I have) over, and over, and over; [...]
There's no ending to any of these cities, death is pointless. A city dying out doesn't mean a damn thing, [...]

FeignedSanity wrote:

I feel like I'm back in the old days before decay and hidden coordinates, and it's just frustrating.

A lot of people miss those times.  Solution to you problem it trivial: baby suicide 3-4 times.  With esc+%  takes 30 seconds.  Or switch to different server, where there are no towns.

Why you want to prevent people that like to play in towns from doing so?

#8 2018-07-13 19:57:37

Tarr
Banned

I mean different people like different stuff. I cannot stand being an eve or the first child of an eve. Both of these are incredibly repetitious jobs. Spend ten minutes finding a good spot > Grow thirty bushes > Start tools > Die.  A city has many different possible jobs to do vs constantly doing the same four things as an eve. I don't want to go back to full blown mega cities like Ovenpost where the only real thing to do is go find your neighbors to stab. I don't mind having cities die off and become lost forever but most cities don't have natural ends due to some bored person coming along to ruin it for everyone.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-07-13 19:59:15

DJDisorder

"Asymmetrical warfare is a euphemism for terrorism, just like collateral damage is a euphemism for killing innocent civilians."

Alan Dershowitz

#10 2018-07-13 20:11:57

West

FeignedSanity wrote:
West wrote:

Did you read the original post? I mentioned baby suicide and how I don't want to spend 30 minutes of suicide, but have because that's how the game functions. And while I do think that baby suicide is a stupid, tedious mechanic that shouldn't even be in the game. My biggest problem is that nothing ever seems to die or end. There's no ending to any of these cities, death is pointless. A city dying out doesn't mean a damn thing, so there's no stakes. It's so fucking pointless, some jackass is going to spawn into it 20 minutes later. The fact that it seems easy to just to respawn into, or trip over a dead city.

I guess it's a combination of things that really bug me. I was really just trying to see if anyone else has noticed what I've noticed, and if so, what they thought about it.

I did read your post, but I dont really understand your problem.
You dont want to see the same citys over and over again? - change server, atm we are split up on 1/2 most of the time, somtimes even 3. That should do for a day.
Does is really make a difference if a city is lost forever? No! It will be rebuild roughly the same again. So only the layout changes a bit.

About that suciding for 30 mins. If you dont like it, just dont do it. Accept your life, and if its in that same town again just move out and start a new settlement.

Last edited by West (2018-07-13 20:12:34)

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#11 2018-07-13 20:41:57

FeignedSanity

sc0rp wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I was referring to this:

That is exactly what I was referring to, you still haven't specified what exactly you meant with your comment. I'm just going to assume you meant to say that I was a "butthurt griefer" and taking actions solely based on this belief.

sc0rp wrote:

A lot of people miss those times.  Solution to you problem it trivial: baby suicide 3-4 times.  With esc+%  takes 30 seconds.  Or switch to different server, where there are no towns.

Why you want to prevent people that like to play in towns from doing so?

And I swear, no one is reading the whole OP. I said that I have baby suicide multiple times, and don't want to have to keep repeatedly doing so. And the solution, is by no means trivial. It is a very tedious, and sometimes time consuming process. I don't start up the game just to close and open it another 15 times. And there are not "servers with no towns", just ghost servers.

But like I said to West, I have no problem with towns. I think it's nice to not have to start up a kiln and a farm every run. I was just saying that it bugs me that all of the "town deaths" feel like a massive farce. I want a town to feel special, and important. Something that has been working on for 15 generations, not something that some eve stumbled onto and put on like someone's old underwear. And by the same hand, if a town I worked on dies, I want it to feel poignant. But that's the reason why I don't stick around, you seem to think that that's the reason I kill cities. Which is what you assumed I said. Sure, I have (very rarely) killed cities for various reasons, but never because I wanted to punish them for playing how they like. Besides, from the sound of things, it seems like that would be your philosophy. Why would you want to discourage me from murdering towns if, hypothetically speaking, that was the way I liked to play. I could easily turn it around and claim that eve (start up) baby suicide is ruining the experience of others, and by your definition, be considered griefing. But I feel like all of this is neither here nor there.

But I never intend to get on the topic of town killing or griefing. Nor did I want to give you fodder for your self-righteous crusade to crucify murderers. Looking back at my original post, I can see now how you would get that perception. It was merely to see if the fact that no one seems to be starting anything fresh is bothering anyone. It appears it is not.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-13 20:45:41)

#12 2018-07-13 20:49:34

FeignedSanity

DJDisorder wrote:

"Asymmetrical warfare is a euphemism for terrorism, just like collateral damage is a euphemism for killing innocent civilians."

Alan Dershowitz

I don't see how terrorism plays any part in the discussion. Nothing has been done in the pursuit of political gains, so that seems an odd choice of quotes. And there is collateral damage in a lot of things, although it definitely doesn't always extend to the reaches of "killing innocent civilians". So while I appreciate the insight, I don't think it's relevant.

#13 2018-07-13 21:08:53

FeignedSanity

West wrote:

I did read your post, but I dont really understand your problem.
You dont want to see the same citys over and over again? - change server, atm we are split up on 1/2 most of the time, somtimes even 3. That should do for a day.
Does is really make a difference if a city is lost forever? No! It will be rebuild roughly the same again. So only the layout changes a bit.

About that suciding for 30 mins. If you dont like it, just dont do it. Accept your life, and if its in that same town again just move out and start a new settlement.

Yeah, I was meaning to comment on your starting a new settlement idea. I like it. I'll consider that the next time I want to have an eve run but am stuck in town hell. I mean, it does come with it's own problems like kids finding their way back and competing for the resource of lineage babies; but it is a thought to consider.

And I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't mind seeing the same cities over and over again. I don't want to see the same hi jacked city from some lazy eve over and over again. I like to stay on one server at a time because I like to be born into cities I've worked on several generations later. Like I said, you've misunderstood me (which could be my fault). I never meant to say that I'm a city hater and that I only want eve runs, I'm sorry if I came across that way. I was trying to say that it sucks that there seems to be almost no new blood circulating, which bums me out. I feel like if something dies, something else should be born. I don't think you should just keep reanimating it's zombified corpse. But again, that's just how I enjoy the game, I don't expect anyone else to adhere to it. I wasn't trying to lay down some decree, I was just seeing if anyone shared similar thoughts.

And it does make a difference if a city is lost forever. It makes a huge difference. Things are much more important when there's a possibility of losing them.

Well sure, there are many options. You could also choose to just kill the town and I don't think anyone but those that always "accept their life" no matter what could criticize you. You could also just play something else for a bit, which is never a bad option.

#14 2018-07-13 21:27:35

DJDisorder

"British Dictionary definitions for terrorism
terrorism

noun
systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal
the act of terrorizing
the state of being terrorized"

Not necessarily 'political' but you def are trying to achieve a goal, purely of your own beliefs, over a far greater number of others goal of living, learning and building.

What makes your single belief far outweigh multiple others to a point that you have to annihilate any trace of them.
Some days I don't really find myself in the mood for city life, so I'll do something else. I don't usually find my self in a state of bloodlust and murder bound. Interesting why you feel the need to or can try and justify it.

#15 2018-07-13 21:51:53

FeignedSanity

DJDisorder wrote:

"British Dictionary definitions for terrorism
terrorism

noun
systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal
the act of terrorizing
the state of being terrorized"

Not necessarily 'political' but you def are trying to achieve a goal, purely of your own beliefs, over a far greater number of others goal of living, learning and building.

What makes your single belief far outweigh multiple others to a point that you have to annihilate any trace of them.
Some days I don't really find myself in the mood for city life, so I'll do something else. I don't usually find my self in a state of bloodlust and murder bound. Interesting why you feel the need to or can try and justify it.

Then I guess by that definition, I could see how something like that would be considered terrorism. I understood it as terrorism only when you're trying to convince others to submit to your ideology. I also don't think "killing innocent civilians" equates to anything in this game. More like someone's sand castle getting knocked over, (often times ones they took from someone else). Still, I see your point and reasoning for bringing up that quote. Honestly, I can't tell if my last paragraph was just poorly constructed, or if it's a bunch of white knights jumping to conclusions. I didn't mean to imply that I "annihilate any trace of a civilizations just because of my own personal beliefs", but looking back, maybe I have at one point or another. Was I just rationalizing with the belief of self defense or retribution. I thank you for your insight and giving me things to reflect on.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-13 21:52:34)

#16 2018-07-13 22:10:08

DJDisorder

Well played good sir! I appreciate your reasoned and well thought out response.
But honestly I was sorta just messing with you, the " You can kill a city (and I have) over, and over, and over" statement kinda irked me a lil.

The first quote was the second one I looked at after a random search of collateral damage and it made me chuckle a little. Also fitted smile

Then I had to defend the statement when you inevitably questioned it..
Annoying when someone wastes your time isn't it? big_smile

I have said elsewhere though I can understand the ideology behind wiping and area so new gameplay can progress.
It's just a lot of people want a city life to learn and progress themselves which they can't do in Eve camps/early settlements. They want to feel valued and progress their knowledge without the constant pressure of feeling like they're in the way, or just eating all the farm then dying because they don't know what else to do in game yet.

Let city folk do their thing, you do yours, it's not like the world isn't big enough...

#17 2018-07-13 22:10:47

OminousBladeBlank

LOL. I read this and my jaw dropped. A salted griefer complaining about the game. Make a sister civ instead of griefing, because I love cities. The bigger, the better. You can't have real power without a large number of people, and you can't have a large number without a city. Destroying a city doesn't solve your problem nearly as well as... leaving. Just get the fuck out and let me rule with an iron fist. I want to accumulate the obedience of the masses, and you're fucking that up if you get angry about large civs. The game is no fun to me when it's just setting up farms and hunting rabbits. I like the social aspect of it, and solving complex problems that come with high gen civs.

Also, griefers shouldn't be complaining. Like, yeah, griefers are actually very important to how I enjoy the game - I always need to catch you motherfuckers and kill you - and that shit is FUN. You're all so salty. But jus taccept that you don't actually solve any problems, you only create them.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#18 2018-07-13 22:25:45

FeignedSanity

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

LOL. I read this and my jaw dropped. A salted griefer complaining about the game. Make a sister civ instead of griefing, because I love cities. The bigger, the better. You can't have real power without a large number of people, and you can't have a large number without a city. Destroying a city doesn't solve your problem nearly as well as... leaving. Just get the fuck out and let me rule with an iron fist. I want to accumulate the obedience of the masses, and you're fucking that up if you get angry about large civs. The game is no fun to me when it's just setting up farms and hunting rabbits. I like the social aspect of it, and solving complex problems that come with high gen civs.

Also, griefers shouldn't be complaining. Like, yeah, griefers are actually very important to how I enjoy the game - I always need to catch you motherfuckers and kill you - and that shit is FUN. You're all so salty. But jus taccept that you don't actually solve any problems, you only create them.

Oh, wonderful. Another person to add to the list of those that have misunderstood. Well get in line good sir. So, for the umpteenth time, I have no problem with large cities. Contrary to your belief, I'm a big fan of large cities. That's not what I have a problem with. I guess you can be forgiven for not reading any of the other posts, but that just means I have to repeat myself a lot. So, for the sake of not repeating myself, and because you seem like the kind of person that likes to remain blissfully unaware, I'll just go ahead and let you carry on. If you actually intend to add to the discussion, rather than make a giant ass of yourself, I'll be more than happy to engage you in conversation.

#19 2018-07-13 22:32:32

sc0rp

FeignedSanity wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

I was referring to this:

That is exactly what I was referring to, you still haven't specified what exactly you meant with your comment. I'm just going to assume you meant to say that I was a "butthurt griefer" and taking actions solely based on this belief.

You misquoted me.  This is what I said:

sc0rp wrote:

I was referring to this:

FeignedSanity wrote:

You can kill a city (and I have) over, and over, and over; [...]
There's no ending to any of these cities, death is pointless. A city dying out doesn't mean a damn thing, [...]

So a griefer complaining that he killed city over and over and people have still fun playing in it.  "I worked so hard to destroy it and I want them suffer endless Eve runs! Jason help!"

FeignedSanity wrote:

And I swear, no one is reading the whole OP.

I read it.  It's just petition to Jason, to stop people from having fun rebuilding towns after griefer attack.

FeignedSanity wrote:

I said that I have baby suicide multiple times, and don't want to have to keep repeatedly doing so. And the solution, is by no means trivial. It is a very tedious, and sometimes time consuming process. I don't start up the game just to close and open it another 15 times.

Clicking few buttons tedious?  Looks like you never did anything really tedious in your life.  You're being just a drama queen.  Some games start up longer, than it takes to suicide few times in OHOL.  And it never took me 15 times to get born as Eve.  Heck I'm born as Eve most of the runs.  I wish I could get born in towns more often that 2-3 times a day.

#20 2018-07-13 22:33:20

Tarr
Banned

Your last paragraph was poorly constructed. People are going to focus on the glaring issue of you admitting to repeatedly destroying different cities and have no sympathy or relation to your original message. Murder very much fits into this game in one way or another. The problem comes up when you decide to start mass killings for no reason what so ever.

You specifically talked about how you should go on a mass killing in the west village we played in together but didn't because it's "no fun." killing while nameless since you can't be cursed. Why would anyone want to work on making new cities if people like you eventually show up to ruin those ones too? When a town is rediscovered it generally takes a bit of work to get the thing back up to livable conditions. You make it sound like eves just pop up to a pristine town and relax for sixty minutes instead of working with her children to fix them up so others can enjoy them.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=543055 - Me
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=543055 < You

If anything it sounds like your source of fun is ruining the game for others.

fug it’s Tarr.

#21 2018-07-13 22:44:20

FeignedSanity

DJDisorder wrote:

Well played good sir! I appreciate your reasoned and well thought out response.
But honestly I was sorta just messing with you, the " You can kill a city (and I have) over, and over, and over" statement kinda irked me a lil.

The first quote was the second one I looked at after a random search of collateral damage and it made me chuckle a little. Also fitted smile

Then I had to defend the statement when you inevitably questioned it..
Annoying when someone wastes your time isn't it? big_smile

I have said elsewhere though I can understand the ideology behind wiping and area so new gameplay can progress.
It's just a lot of people want a city life to learn and progress themselves which they can't do in Eve camps/early settlements. They want to feel valued and progress their knowledge without the constant pressure of feeling like they're in the way, or just eating all the farm then dying because they don't know what else to do in game yet.

Let city folk do their thing, you do yours, it's not like the world isn't big enough...

Yes, it is indeed annoying when someone wastes your time. That is why I try to take conversations seriously because I don't want to waste theirs smile

Like I said though, I enjoy me a good city run as much as the next guy. I don't want to be stuck making a forge and a farm every 30 minutes. I understand you being irked, but it didn't have anything to do with trying to force everyone to only do eve runs. I know that probably doesn't make it any better, but just wanted to make sure that's known. I'm not out to kill the city life and what people like about it. And I don't want to take up any more of your time, so I wont expect a response.

Thank you for taking the time to have a serious conversation, it is appreciated.

#22 2018-07-13 22:57:42

sc0rp

FeignedSanity wrote:

Like I said though, I enjoy me a good city run as much as the next guy. I don't want to be stuck making a forge and a farm every 30 minutes. I understand you being irked, but it didn't have anything to do with trying to force everyone to only do eve runs. I know that probably doesn't make it any better, but just wanted to make sure that's known. I'm not out to kill the city life and what people like about it.

But your proposition would have exactly that effect.  It takes 10-15 gens to build a town.  If you have a skill and a bit of luck it takes 30 minutes to kill it.  Banning Eve spawns there wouldn't cause mass of new towns to pop up.  The effect would be that there wouldn't be even single viable town most of the time.  And a lot of less players.

#23 2018-07-13 23:11:58

FeignedSanity

sc0rp wrote:

Ahhh, now that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Well, first off, I would like to say that you misquoted me. But, after talking with the wonderful forum members, I realize that I must have misspoken. There was no correlation between me killing a city repeatedly, and my complaint that death didn't mean anything. I realize now, that I mistakenly created one. I would like to apologize. My comments on death not meaning anything doesn't come from me wanting to destroy, but from me wanting the things I make to matter. To be precious and irreplaceable.

I get what you're saying and where you're coming from. I don't think that you shouldn't be able to rebuild, but I felt like that was something that was becoming so token. Not just from greifer attacks, but even natural causes like negligence or just plain bad luck.

And I am quite familiar with tedium, given my younger employment history. And I guess I am just "blessed" to be born in the same town over and over again, just only the ones I don't want to be. I hope that I might be able to transfer the blessing to you. Thank you letting me see from your perspective.

#24 2018-07-13 23:13:36

FeignedSanity

sc0rp wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Like I said though, I enjoy me a good city run as much as the next guy. I don't want to be stuck making a forge and a farm every 30 minutes. I understand you being irked, but it didn't have anything to do with trying to force everyone to only do eve runs. I know that probably doesn't make it any better, but just wanted to make sure that's known. I'm not out to kill the city life and what people like about it.

But your proposition would have exactly that effect.  It takes 10-15 gens to build a town.  If you have a skill and a bit of luck it takes 30 minutes to kill it.  Banning Eve spawns there wouldn't cause mass of new towns to pop up.  The effect would be that there wouldn't be even single viable town most of the time.  And a lot of less players.

So you really mean to say that without going back to the same town over and over and over, civilizations would cease to exist? I find that a little hard to swallow.

#25 2018-07-13 23:18:09

DJDisorder

Glad I made a fresh batch of popcorn on the campfire for this..

Board footer