One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-09 02:25:02

Neo

Excessive baby suicide ruining Eve Runs

I was daughter of Eve Snee and the only one out of her kids to stick around. She had already found a spot and was in the process of making firetools.

I found myself a perfect temp spot and she fed me every bow and then while she worked. When I grew up foretools were done and she had began working on the farm.

I built a klin, made bowls and plates plus a clay nozzle. I assembled a stone hoe and tilled the rows and we planted berries and carrots.

One boy and a girl were born to mum who both suicided. We made a good team and we even set up smithing, while I was doing that I had one daughter who starved and more suicide babies.

Mum told me that three of Eve runs failed because too many suiciders. She went to get more iron and never came back.

I made the Axe and had two boys who promised to stay, I was getting old and no still living daughter.

I got too old to feed my last son, We were officially doomed. At least my two sons could live even if the lineage was doomed.

In the end I went out to get more iron and a wolf came from off screen and mauled me. I went back to say goodbye.

Sorry mum that I couldn't continue your camp, I tried but so many little fuckers ran on me.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=497022

Every baby suicides instantly when they spawn in an early gen camp, They all want cities. Why does nobody want to put in the effort to stick around and build up a town. Cities suck ass, The life before an old lady stabbed me because mum gave me stuff. She said I didn't earn it which is true but I was in the process of feeding sheep when she stabbed me, At least give me a chance lol.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-09 02:46:08)

#2 2018-07-09 02:40:39

sc0rp

Re: Excessive baby suicide ruining Eve Runs

Where the camp was?  In the middle of green or on the border of desert?

I get like 80% of kids stick around with only kiln and few wet bowls.  But spot temp is nice, water and soil is close, green is large and I tell each kid where resources are.  If I have time I run around with them as well, especially to point out where food is until we get farm going.

EDIT: Parent post was one sentence long when I posted this.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-09 02:47:43)

#3 2018-07-09 02:58:56

Neo

sc0rp wrote:

Where the camp was?  In the middle of green or on the border of desert?

I get like 80% of kids stick around with only kiln and few wet bowls.  But spot temp is nice, water and soil is close, green is large and I tell each kid where resources are.  If I have time I run around with them as well, especially to point out where food is until we get farm going.

Dude they literally run as soon as they are born, Don't have time to show them jack shit.

#4 2018-07-09 02:59:34

sc0rp

Neo wrote:

Every baby suicides instantly when they spawn in an early gen camp

It happens sometimes, I know it sucks.  But usually I keep most of kids as Eve.  Heck, even the kid I'm spawned with stays with me like 50% of time.  I do name myself and him instantly and I start temp running searching for a spot.  That may signal to them it's not another newbie run.  For further kids in early camp I ask every one "Just started, wanna live?" - that helps to not waste time and resources on the ones that don't want to stick around.  And at the same time it's kind of commitment for the ones that answer Y.  I do keep like 80% of kids as Eve this way.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-09 03:00:01)

#5 2018-07-09 03:04:02

sc0rp

Neo wrote:

Dude they literally run as soon as they are born, Don't have time to show them jack shit.

Not all of them.  From your lineage:
Mordecai Snee - Little Brother - 4 years old - Starved  - Final words: "O"
Marsha Snee - Little Sister - 2 years old - Starved - Final words: "R"
Fiona Snee - Daughter - 3 years old - Starved - Final words: "Lol"
Laura Snee - Daughter - 2 years old - Starved
Ben Snee - Son - 11 years old - Starved - Final words: "Shit"

#6 2018-07-09 03:06:41

forestglade

I am the opposite, more likely to suicide in big cities where I get bored. To me second or third generation is way more fun then big cities. I think in general that's the more experienced players tho, I remember when I was new it was too overwhelming and we have a lot of new players recently.

#7 2018-07-09 03:44:55

Neo

sc0rp wrote:
Neo wrote:

Not all of them.  From your lineage:
Mordecai Snee - Little Brother - 4 years old - Starved  - Final words: "O"
Marsha Snee - Little Sister - 2 years old - Starved - Final words: "R"
Fiona Snee - Daughter - 3 years old - Starved - Final words: "Lol"
Laura Snee - Daughter - 2 years old - Starved
Ben Snee - Son - 11 years old - Starved - Final words: "Shit"

Well ben died after me, Laura ran off randomly, Fiona ran off and starved.

Anyway kids dying is also a problem but people learn overtime. Even in towns the majority of my kids don't survive most of the time. Anyway i see you've been in denial about baby suicide for awhile now so I guess you wont change your mind.

#8 2018-07-09 03:50:54

MidgetMaker

forestglade wrote:

I am the opposite, more likely to suicide in big cities where I get bored. To me second or third generation is way more fun then big cities. I think in general that's the more experienced players tho, I remember when I was new it was too overwhelming and we have a lot of new players recently.

same here.  big towns are a mess 99% of the time.

#9 2018-07-09 04:09:29

Lotus

I’ve had this problem so many times... it’s an easy way to grief and it’s so obnoxious.

Be considerate, Eve suiciders... you don’t know how badly you’re needed.

#10 2018-07-09 05:16:46

Turnipseed

If you dont have a last name im gonna suicide...

Otherwise happy to work

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#11 2018-07-09 05:18:28

Tarr
Banned

I generally only play one eve child run per day when I play. Being born to an eve is the most repetitive gameplay that normally just leads to a failed village anyways. Between being stuck doing the same few things and having to gamble whether the kids willing to live are worth their weight in berries playing as an eves child is unfun for me. Don't get me wrong I do feel bad when I suicide as a girl baby but I'm playing a game to have fun.

It was a little different before the lineage ban came into effect. At least then if I helped an eve camp grow I had the chance to come back and continue helping it grow into a small village. Now a days eve children lives are just: Plant some berries/make tools then go die to be some other eves berry planter. As long as the lineage ban is around I don't play eves and I certainly don't play second generation lives.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-07-09 08:56:34

Lum

People who suicide because the camp is "going to fail anyway" are absolutely stupid. Why do you think it's going to fail? Because you couldn't be bothered to help out and actually provide work and would rather spawn in a big town where most ressources are already available.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#13 2018-07-09 09:04:46

sc0rp

Lum wrote:

People who suicide because the camp is "going to fail anyway" are absolutely stupid. Why do you think it's going to fail? Because you couldn't be bothered to help out and actually provide work and would rather spawn in a big town where most ressources are already available.

Middle of small green biome.  Far away from 1 or 2 ponds.  No desert in walking distance, close border of arctic instead.  That's not One Hour One Life, that's Let's Starve Together.

#14 2018-07-09 09:15:59

Neo

sc0rp wrote:
Lum wrote:

Middle of small green biome.  Far away from 1 or 2 ponds.  No desert in walking distance, close border of arctic instead.  That's not One Hour One Life, that's Let's Starve Together.

Pretty sure you got the wrong camp, Was right next to desert and ponds.

I'm guessing that your one of the people that suicide to get a city spawn, likely ruining multiple Eve runs in the process.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-09 09:16:46)

#15 2018-07-09 09:30:42

sc0rp

Neo wrote:

Pretty sure you got the wrong camp, Was right next to desert and ponds.

I'm guessing that your one of the people that suicide to get a city spawn, likely ruining multiple Eve runs in the process.

Nope, I very rarely suicide.  In bad spot, I try to figure out how to turn the tide, moving the farm if necessary, asking people to come.  Usually I'm the last man standing, with set up farm, waiting for any girl to come back.  They almost never do - all dead long ago.  Even if they do, spot is far from perfect and lineage ends in next gen or two.

But after 2-3 runs like that, I'm not in a mood for another one in a bad spot.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-09 09:34:52)

#16 2018-07-09 11:27:18

FounderOne

Depending on the situation I stay or suicide.

Sometimes I just play a game a day and sometimes I want to play this game in a town.

If this is the case:
If the camp is in a bad spot - suicide.
Two girls or young fertile mum - suicide.

No girls/old mum/good + decent spot - stay.

Sure even in camps with two girl both can die and suiciding is in general bs, but sometimes time spend somewhere else is more valuable.

Yesterday I wanted to play in a city and got three times spawned in a eve camp and people were waiting for a girl that won't suicide, so I stayed, worked and made new baby's as the only women in the settlement.

Most of my baby's saw me work and stayed with me. In one run I set up a large Smith and the baby's were impressed by it.

The best guarantee is to make something big. Make 40 plates, make a huge Smith, make a huge farm, make it look like a great place with potential, then they will stay with you in most cases.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#17 2018-07-09 15:53:51

pein

had a weirdly decayed city
we had like five boxes, even a horsecart, file, 2 saws and no kiln no axe, no shovel, no farm, map was regenerated so basically eve run with a premise of making carts
mom was busy tending to me and other boy who looked very new, he died soon after, my sister was just confused af and comitted suicide or starved early cause didnt found a way to contribute

mom lost a few girls and its maddening cause i made a kiln, she made another much later and i was making the bellows, she got a hog bite but was too old anyway
but she had one job, raising a daughter as i was a boy, i stepped on a snake but didnt mattered anyway
i could of made the tools as i found 5 iron pretty easy, but she lost 5 girls which is very bad

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-07-09 16:06:57

AnobeseWalrus

i usually run if im a boy and i dont see any female babies in the camp, I want to make sure the resources go to her first before anyone else. I also usually run if there isnt a fire going or a warm desert.

#19 2018-07-09 17:33:31

YAHG

If you spawned in a shit-hole country in Africa with aids and shiet and you could just die and re-spawn in Manhattan I am sure you would have more suicide babies irl too.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#20 2018-07-09 19:06:44

pein

YAHG wrote:

If you spawned in a shit-hole country in Africa with aids and shiet and you could just die and re-spawn in Manhattan I am sure you would have more suicide babies irl too.

maybe you do, try it xD

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2018-07-09 19:10:54

YAHG

pein wrote:
YAHG wrote:

maybe you do, try it xD

I too purvi..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#22 2018-07-10 15:25:02

pein

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=510923

excessive laziness kills it too
mom was eve, lagged but still wont explain why she kept all kids while not doing anything

we had like 8-10 cacti 50 tile range
and 12 ponds next to us in swamp, should been enough for 6 with plates
then we had hoe and started farm
i planted all berry, made all bowls 2+4
and plates like 9, the kiln
a brown girl got some soil next to kiln but died on way back
they ask for "job" when cant even eat properly
one sister survived and while babysitting killed most of her own kids
one girl got the eggs and made omlettes
one got few rabbits and iron

they all died out once as we reached around 15 people
and mom still feeding my kid with berry when i try to plant it and im around
most of them didnt take food going to swamp and never return
so like 30 people died in my lifetime
my last two girls were good, but then they made the same thing, i told them to stop at 6-8 population, we been already above ten
still no tools
someone made bellows but i didnt see so i  made second
and we had some iron but couldnt make tools
people just stay near kiln like its a city center and munch all food then die

#23 2018-07-10 16:14:57

FounderOne

Kiln is often placed near farm. Most of the times at the kiln is a fire and some space to stand. So people use it as a town center.

If you see a Smith located so badly, build a new one and when you are finish destroy the old one. Smiting gets much easier like this.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#24 2018-07-10 17:13:37

pein

FounderOne wrote:

Kiln is often placed near farm. Most of the times at the kiln is a fire and some space to stand. So people use it as a town center.

If you see a Smith located so badly, build a new one and when you are finish destroy the old one. Smiting gets much easier like this.

farms are placed near kiln big_smile
general rule of nabs to make a farm under the kiln 3 -4 tile away
once i had a nice desert and used top and bottom side for better temperature. people were confused why is so far from water
kilns do not need water
farms do
but eventually no one cares about effectiveness only about symmetry

#25 2018-07-11 01:12:00

ChaosDawg

forestglade wrote:

Agreed. I like the challenge of starting a new colony. What I am finding is two major things:

One: Big colonies, well advanced run out of ready to eat food. Someone always seems to forget or neglect the basics.
Two: Although this might be part of the reason for one - people don't plan for the population explosion that occurs with success in a big village - at some point it reaches a critical mass - where everyone eats the last bit of food before the new has grown.

Also I find it fun to start from scratch - I might take a bowl or a basket to get me set (if they are in abundance), the quicker I can get a new farm going the better. Now that might seem bad taking a bowl or basket, but compared to being an extra mouth to feed in a society that is already reaching breaking point I think I'm doing them a favour. Especially if I am a female.

I love jumping into early settlements - basically I am bored to the teeth, when everything is already there for you.

And one more point - starvation is a real problem and it's harder for big villages to forage - because a lot of the forageable food around the city has also gone - but that doesn't make it impossible. I find part of the joy of the game is to go exploring - I've seen a lot of players who just don't have that sense of risk v reward who don't realise - they stay - they starve anyway. Better to starve running with hope in your heart, on your own terms than just hang about a hungry village.

And, nothing better than being an Eve running to find a home!

Board footer