One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-01 16:39:09

Tane

We need account permabans

Hear me out.
I was in the West family, Love West. I had a son, Kahn who started out alright.
First word was Q, and he was a nice, normal member of society until adulthood. As soon as he hit it he grabbed a knife and started killing. The thing is, I'm pretty sure this is the player that started about a month ago.
When he first started he was swearing all the time and most of us abandoned him, then he started his racist shit. Eventually he caught on that we'd all drop him so stopped his crap until after he passes the 15 minute mark. Normally, I don't give a shit about online crap like that, but he (or someone with the same speech patterns) has spent almost his entire time greifing people and coming out with his crap.
Now, I expect a little greifing, we all do. But there's GOT to be a line somewhere.
Running around trying to screw up people's games constantly and being a piece of shit should get him banned. Let him waste another $20 if he wants to keep it up, but if we want people to actually KEEP playing this game players like him should really be stopped by admin, not the players.
I really hope Jason actually takes notice of this.

And now for the obligatory: KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tane (2018-07-01 16:40:24)

#2 2018-07-01 16:43:35

TheRedBug

Re: We need account permabans

This game is free
What are you talking about

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-07-01 16:55:55

Tane

TheRedBug wrote:

This game is free
What are you talking about

What are you on about?
Its literally on the main site page

#4 2018-07-01 17:10:49

DrButtCheeks

You can do a temp log in once you have the executable though, no account required.

#5 2018-07-01 17:34:09

TheRedBug

Do you not remember the satan bot? This game is literally open access. You can edit ir as you will. You cannit permaban free stuff.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-01 17:52:54

Alleria

Grow a pair. How is someone only capable of communicating with a handful of letters able to offend you... If it was legitimately a bother, you should have just stabbed him, it's not hard...

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#7 2018-07-01 17:55:17

Luniatji

Well.. there must be something we can do about it, right? I was there as a kid and he ran to my mom, with knife in hand, saying "give the shawl now!" so she gave it and he run away. I then chase him, saw him giving it to his 'girlfriend' I think, to her daughter, who then grew up to a child and ran away. I confront him, became a target because he then choose that he wants to kill me. Well, I'm not a easy target so i doged him and ran away, while he was chasing me.

After a couple of minutes he stopped chasing me so I told to a woman what happened- after all, I still was a child and couldn't kill him- but she dropped her knife and I was just old enough to pick it up. I run to him, see that he just killed another woman and was running slow. So I killed him. Problem was, we couldn't save the other woman but.. more bad, he just keeps on ranting. Things like 'Fucking niggars' and "Heil Hitler!'.

The problem is, we couldn't do anything else because waiting until he dies .. and its really annoying. There must be something to do about that sort of people. The only thing we can do now is giving a foul mouthed racist to another family line! Where he, no doubt, doing the same thing over and over again! This is the tird time in three days I walk into some idiot, from "Kill all black/white people!" "Allah Akhbar!" "I want to eat that dumb white guy there!" "Heil Hitler!" and so on. There must be something people can do about that kind of people, because its beyond annoying..

#8 2018-07-01 18:35:47

sc0rp

Luniatji wrote:

There must be something to do about that sort of people. The only thing we can do now is giving a foul mouthed racist to another family line! Where he, no doubt, doing the same thing over and over again! This is the tird time in three days I walk into some idiot, from "Kill all black/white people!" "Allah Akhbar!" "I want to eat that dumb white guy there!" "Heil Hitler!" and so on. There must be something people can do about that kind of people, because its beyond annoying..

The only thing players can do right now to not run into this kind of people is to not play the game at all.  And it looks like Jason, by being completely passive about this topic, is fine with that solution.

#9 2018-07-01 19:05:57

Uncle Gus

Playing on the official server requires a paid account. The temp login is the same as the regular login but doesn't save the details in the input fields.

#10 2018-07-01 20:18:23

forestglade

He wants us to self police.

At this point I am happy to grief griefers.

These violent delights have violent ends.

#11 2018-07-01 20:42:36

sc0rp

forestglade wrote:

That's great... except there are no tools to do that.  So I killed this guy, took half a lifetime to get a knife.  I'm done with him for good, right?  Right?

So what happens next?  I spawn in new village.  And lo and behold, he is there as well.  And was in my game yesterday.  And the day before.  So I'm achieving absolutely nothing.  I have no way to not play with him unless I don't play at all.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-01 20:43:27)

#12 2018-07-01 21:01:23

Auner

A few months back it was suggested there be a way for players to better police themselves-- and i think that's sorely needed.

It could be really simple like- say you were just stabbed- if your last words were "I curse you <name>", and this happens more than 5 times-- you could get a 2-3 hour cool down on re-spawning

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#13 2018-07-01 21:19:02

Superfun2
Banned

Auner wrote:

A few months back it was suggested there be a way for players to better police themselves-- and i think that's sorely needed.

It could be really simple like- say you were just stabbed- if your last words were "I curse you <name>", and this happens more than 5 times-- you could get a 2-3 hour cool down on re-spawning

A.K.A a Ban

P.S I was Khan

Last edited by Superfun2 (2018-07-01 21:19:30)

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#14 2018-07-01 21:48:11

Luniatji

Well you didn't play 'super fun' then.

And that is just the problem. Yes, we could kill the person, but the only thing we assured with that is that another town/eve getting the same person, so they need to kill him to. And then he respawns in another town, and they need to kill him, he respawns, killed.. etc, etc. It just doesn't work!

#15 2018-07-02 01:31:34

YAHG

'Because the other person should be gone instead of me because I am right and they are wrong'

Aka "REEEEEEEEEE"

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-07-02 03:46:50

Alleria

I've only encountered this behaviour a handful of times in my entire experience on the game. If someone is playing the game in a way you don't like, you have the option of killing them. If you don't know the location of a weapon you're doing it wrong.

#17 2018-07-02 05:18:35

pein

dont be a racist! hate everyone!

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-07-02 05:36:04

Acozi

YAHG wrote:

'Because the other person should be gone instead of me because I am right and they are wrong'

Aka "REEEEEEEEEE"

This. For goodness sake I feel bad for Jason and most developers. So many vocal whiney babies. I'm not saying no developer should ever get criticized, but I swear five people spam about one thing they dont like while everyone mostly ENJOYS a video game.

I play this game quite often and have been murdered maybe 6/100 lives. I've seen racist swearing kids maybe 2/100.

Maybe some people should take up knitting in between playthroughs and calm the fuck down.

#19 2018-07-02 08:26:26

sc0rp

Alleria wrote:

I've only encountered this behaviour a handful of times in my entire experience on the game. If someone is playing the game in a way you don't like, you have the option of killing them. If you don't know the location of a weapon you're doing it wrong.

INB4: If you don't enjoy racist shit and you're playing OHOL, you're doing it wrong.

INB4: If you don't know the location of a weapon and don't know how to kill somebody when you're 3yo, you're doing it wrong.

#20 2018-07-02 09:06:58

sc0rp

Acozi wrote:

This. For goodness sake I feel bad for Jason and most developers. So many vocal whiney babies. I'm not saying no developer should ever get criticized, but I swear five people spam about one thing they dont like while everyone mostly ENJOYS a video game.

I play this game quite often and have been murdered maybe 6/100 lives. I've seen racist swearing kids maybe 2/100.

Maybe some people should take up knitting in between playthroughs and calm the fuck down.

So many vocal whiney babies.   I swear five people spam about things they like while everyone mostly HATES it.  And how doing anything to curb griefing, slurs, hitler jokes will kill all joy.

Maybe some people should take up knitting in between reading the forum and calm the fuck down.

#21 2018-07-02 09:44:47

Alleria

I think we can all agree Sc0rp should take up knitting. This is a non-issue that already has the same solution we have in real life. Don't let the crybabies win. So say we all.

#22 2018-07-02 13:34:52

YAHG

Alleria wrote:

So say we all.

<3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#23 2018-07-02 14:25:43

Alleria

YAHG wrote:
Alleria wrote:

So say we all.

<3

Best tv show ever made. You have no idea how glad I am that you got the reference.

#24 2018-07-02 16:11:41

Tane

sc0rp wrote:
forestglade wrote:

So what happens next?  I spawn in new village.  And lo and behold, he is there as well.  And was in my game yesterday.  And the day before.  So I'm achieving absolutely nothing.  I have no way to not play with him unless I don't play at all.

And that's exactly what I am talking about. Instead of solving the problem player by killing them, all we are doing is shifting them to be someone ELSE's problem.
Its not hard to ban an IP address.

We've tried the player solutions, they haven't worked since its still happening. Once you add in that its only a small number of players that pull that crap then the solution should be obvious. The game has already lost the majority of its players and if it wants to continue, then it can't afford to lose too many more.

Call me a whiny bitch if you want, but the proof is in the number of current players

#25 2018-07-02 16:42:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I don't need to ban an IP address.

Accounts on the main server are NOT free.  RedBug and ButtCheeks, I'm guessing that you both know this and are just trolling.  Please stop trolling, you're wasting people's time.

All I need to do is delete their account.  They can pay $20 again, of course, and there's no way to stop that.  But I (personally) don't really WANT to stop them from paying $20 again...  They would likely only do that a few times before giving up.

That said, it sounds like this particular player (Khan or whoever) is essentially behaving like a mentally ill person might behave in real life.  In real life, we have to deal with this sometimes.  There are Dahmers in real life.

I don't necessarily want to "solve" this problem for you with some kind of account ban system, or having you report it to me, so that I can deal with it.  You can't "report" Dahmer to God in real life as a way of dealing with him.

That said, real life does not have reincarnation!  Well, at least I don't think it does.  And definitely not reincarnation with preserved memory.

So you have this Dahmer coming back at you over and over and over.  Killing him and making him someone else's problem for a few hours, but eventually you bounce into one of his families again too.

In real life, Dahmer is gone for good....

So, I'm still thinking about this.  I'm not completely ignoring the problem.  I see that it's there.  But I'm looking for a really good solution.  Not rushing to "patch" this with an ill-conceived fix that has too many side-effects.  I also don't want to completely solve the problem for you.

By the way, stabbing someone multiple times (with multiple helpers, "et tu Brute" style) will speed up their death.  There's a bug in the server code that causes it not to speed up, but that bug will be fixed in the next update.  So that is in place.

Board footer