One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-29 00:01:02

Spockulon

New Eve Guide??

I haven't had the opportunity to play much during the last three updates. IRL, I'm busy working myself into a new role in the company I work for.

I've been lucky in that the last few times I have played, I am generally born to a larger town. This gives me the opportunity to learn about the new items, recipes, and tech in a less stressful environment.

It got me thinking that I am ill-prepared to take on an Eve role as compared to how comfortable I felt with it a month ago. I could certainly get a small camp going and feed my children, but I'm no longer at the point where I feel I could set up the camp for long term success.

Everything you do as Eve is almost doubly important because you are laying the foundational structure for the village that may eventually grow into.

This leads me to my question. Has anyone written an updated Eve guide? I haven't seen anything nearly current enough here in the forums, only bits and pieces of information I can string together as best as possible.

There have been some great Eve guides in the past. I'd be eternally grateful for an updated one that was focused on long-term sustainability.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#2 2018-06-29 00:18:07

startafight

Re: New Eve Guide??

i dont think theres an updated guide yet. usually one of the more dedicated forum members cook it up

#3 2018-06-29 00:21:53

YAHG

Sharp rock
Basket
3 ropes
Ponds in good spot

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-06-29 00:25:04

startafight

YAHG wrote:

Sharp rock
Basket
3 ropes
Ponds in good spot

also generally one smart girl. eve camps with more than 2 kids tend to die out fast

#5 2018-06-29 00:30:58

YAHG

startafight wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Sharp rock
Basket
3 ropes
Ponds in good spot

also generally one smart girl. eve camps with more than 2 kids tend to die out fast

I think son first is strong birth order. You get a nice worker who doesn't get distracted all the time.

I think current top opening is pure berry spam. Send out a scout for some irons for forging.

Once you have a shovel you can work on the pen while you send one lone dude out with a basket
(he returns with a sheep living off the land like a boss obvs.)

Long distance Male forager is super stronk you can basically just come back with whatever you
want, and you cost 0 food to the camp.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#6 2018-06-29 00:32:57

Spockulon

startafight wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Sharp rock
Basket
3 ropes
Ponds in good spot

I mean these are the basics I've retained from playing previous to the updates. I'm a decently capable player, and can definitely do more than this as an Eve to get my kids started in a good direction.

Someone posted recently that instead of mega-sized berry farms, an Eve we should strive to start several smaller berry patches around camp. This may or may not be a good idea, but that aside I'm looking for these kinds of tips.

For instance, should I strive to start a farm with varied crops? Which ones? Which order is most efficient?

How early is too early to start a sheep pen? Some players, such as pein, think this is essential. Others disagree.

I'm not daunted by the task. I've gotten to forged tools as an Eve a few times. However, I really enjoy exploring and experimenting with other players' strategies.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#7 2018-06-29 00:38:17

Jk Howling

I haven't been able to find any up-to-date guides for really anything, but picked up a couple tips along the way. For the most part, starting off isn't much different, same concept as it has been for awhile.

Tips I know of:

-The best place to set up has three keys:
     -Large grassland nearby with food sources for pre-farm era, trees for kindling/fire tools, soil pits, milkweed.
     -Swamp with goose ponds [the more/closer, the better!] and some clay/reeds. Also has useless trees for future firewood. Watch for boar!
     -Desert to raise kids/work in camp with minimal food loss. Nearby cacti are a bonus, as they're good to fall back on if food gets low. Also has useless trees for future firewood. Watch for snakes!

-I've noticed people start to plant things in 3x3 plots, leaving room for paths, water buckets, and dirt piles along the edges/in between plots. Also keeps massive resource-draining berry farms from popping up. I've seen places die out because they rely so much on the berry farm, but drain the wells too quickly to upkeep it.

-Most of the beginning of the game is about the same as it has been. Basket+sharp stone. Find good spot, build kiln and fire, make bowls/plates, start early farm [a few carrots for early food source, bunch of berries for long-term, milkweed if the area is low on it]. Hunt rabbits for needle and clothing. Scout around for iron for the first tools. Start on sheep pen.

-Farming aside, omelettes are good for early-game food. They fill a massive 17 pips, and only require an egg, flat rock on coals, and a plate. Down side is they're not very portable, but v nice for adult food when around camp.

-Try to keep your kids instead of abandoning them while searching for a spot to settle. They can help a ton once they can grab things. Might be a bit slow having to compensate for their speed, but they'll make up for it in later years. Even the boys, since as previously mentioned, you get a worker who doesn't have to worry about kids.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-06-29 00:39:27)

-Has ascended to better games-

#8 2018-06-29 00:46:01

YAHG

Berries are by FAR the best ESPECIALLY when you are preforge tech.

Think how many ropes you gotta burn on stone-hoes for each planting cycle. Milks for days...

You pretty much are trying to make sure you can farm up before you run out of wild food
while getting shallow-wells up before you run out of water. Deep well transitions are probably
not gonna be eve's problem.

Ideally you are not wasting time before your 2nd gen starts to breed. You need sons.
They are SUPER valuable in that 2nd generation, if you keep your babies you will probably
get a daughter to keep the line. You need workers and you want to be able to outpace growth
in food use.

Most of the food changes are fluff changes still. Fun but not ideal for power gaming. Yums are
not worth chewing through 5-10 stone hoes.

#9 2018-06-29 01:33:06

startafight

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2367

check out morti's stuff on this thread

#10 2018-06-29 01:36:55

YAHG

startafight wrote:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2367

check out morti's stuff on this thread

Yo lil tip, if you go to the post date/time like "today 20:33:06" for yours, you can get the post ID and link to that directly so people don't gotta scroll.

#11 2018-06-29 01:37:56

YAHG

#12 2018-06-29 01:51:19

startafight

YAHG wrote:

Yo lil tip, if you go to the post date/time like "today 20:33:06" for yours, you can get the post ID and link to that directly so people don't gotta scroll.

no idea how to do that..... like go to the person's profile and then the post?

#13 2018-06-29 02:00:56

YAHG

startafight wrote:
YAHG wrote:

If you look at any post in the top left is the time stamp, that is a link to that individual post.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 779#p20779

#14 2018-06-29 02:12:05

startafight

YAHG wrote:
startafight wrote:
YAHG wrote:

If you look at any post in the top left is the time stamp, that is a link to that individual post.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 779#p20779

ooh cool. thanks yahg

#15 2018-06-29 13:18:46

Morti

Here is an old guide I made for Eves
How to Find a Suitable Home as an Eve
One about temperature, very important to understand.
THE TEMP METER DETERMINES HOW FAST YOUR FOOD METER RUNS OUT!
One about searching for a good home as an Eve, or scouting out areas around a new town.
You have to be brave.
Sort of an Eve guide...
Get the basic tools going.
Another temp guide...
Food Consumption vs Temperature
Advice for Eves and players born to Eves...
The solution is to be prepared

But none of these are really up to date guides on how to make it through with all the new foods.

I'd write a really long post but I'm kinda tired atm, so, I will just say, try to either: find a nice place with tons of cactus nearby and then just hold out the ten minutes it takes for them to spawn fruit and live off that while your farm gets up and running, or, find a place with a ton of ponds and clay, then rush to mass produce plates and just keep bringing in the eggs. When you have 6-9 plates and 6-9 eggs, let a fire get down to coals, cook rabbits if yu got tem, but before the coals burn out, toss a flat stone on them and drop and egg on the flat stone by hand, then take it off with a plate. Omlettes give something like 18 food and they are just that simple to make. It's really a shame people don't make them more often, but, most settlements dont hae a huge amount of ponds around and the ones they do have have either been drained at some point and no longer have geese on them, or, have wells.

But when you are just starting out, omelets are just ridiculously amazing. If you can find a good swampy area with 10-20 ponds within a reasonable walk of your settlement, I would make 18-27 plates and just have baskets and baskets of plates and eggs waiting for the fire to die down to coals, then you chuck that flat stone on there and have one person throwing the eggs down, another person scoopin them up with plates, and even a third to move the plates with omelettes that the second throws down, out towards the edge of the clutter area, so the second plate man can just keep slammin those omelet platters on the ground whippin out plate after plate.

#16 2018-06-29 16:02:03

pein

i started writing one but wanted to make some screenshots to it and as i read, go  very long and didnt cover everything

jorioms guide was good, only then i realized how hard is the game

what have changed since?
extra rope for hoe and no milkweed farming
better average skill level so higher expectation
deserts and temperature
lover initial water need, higher tech or amount of pounds later
iron gathering and tool order
berry regrows faster
people bury others fucking up shovel, so either fast pens or grave pens, or extra tools

what changed but reverted:
was a time when reusing coal helped pottery
baby abandonment wasnt neccessary, but now with no lineage ban is needed again

my approach is more pragmatic but more effective usually and can keep alive a family for like 9 generations, but its up to others to make it longer

what you need to know before you even attempt being an eve:
temperature, at least a small spot of desert, and recognizing 2x2 desert edges
choosing a location with water on screen, desert and close exit to a green biome which is medium to big
soil to water not other way around

what is your goal:
making a hammer, if the location is lacking certain resources, making tools to recompensate
for example 2 ponds are enough short term, but shovel gonna be necessary
not enough branches, you need a fast axe

shortly: i generally as eve, keep first kid if he/she wants to live but abandon next 3-4
you need to setup a kiln on a good location with a pond in screen and a few more closeby
soil, branches of every type, iron vein, cactus are very good, but at least a big green biome
i make a fast kiln and like 3 bowls, use the firebrand to make a hoe asap, plant the first berry bush and a few more later
gather 9-12 clay, make noozle and plates/bowls, using the fire optimally (fast clicking or two tongs)
depending on biomes cactus, omlettes or berry/burdock gathering
plant corn/carrot to have some diversity and fast emergency food
tell kids to gather food/baskets/branches/clay/eggs
second kiln to speed up tool making
make hammer,axe, shovel you can delay hoe with berry farm and gathering milkweed further away
shovel helps clear tree and reed stumps (second kiln and oven), make a pen
pen making from adobe oven base in swamp or pits other places using some natural blocking tiles
gathering iron and making tools
making carts, buckets, stanchion kits, upgrading iron vein and wells
it can be archived to make all tools, if the kids help gather stuff or can make some on their own
having food in camp and limiting population to max 3 before bowls, max 8 before all tools helps a lot
even if you are second gen, you are the "EVE" if she cant do it
dont invite people over if you arent within reach of making bowls
tell girls to be selective on raising kids, you got only resources for 3-4 people before berries kick in
girls are more important until 3rd gen, then 3-4 tops, say all you want but noobs gonna eat all food and kids gonna die, or you can feed 3 players all your life

extend and duplicate, you need food in every part of city not just one corner
people need work and purpose to not suicide/become griefer
you need fun and unique projects like rooms
you need griefer protection like weapons, enclosed boxes and rooms
good reward/punish mechanism
training explorers and colonists

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-06-29 21:54:17

Realcooldude

Spockulon wrote:
startafight wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Sharp rock
Basket
3 ropes
Ponds in good spot

I mean these are the basics I've retained from playing previous to the updates. I'm a decently capable player, and can definitely do more than this as an Eve to get my kids started in a good direction.

Someone posted recently that instead of mega-sized berry farms, an Eve we should strive to start several smaller berry patches around camp. This may or may not be a good idea, but that aside I'm looking for these kinds of tips.

For instance, should I strive to start a farm with varied crops? Which ones? Which order is most efficient?

How early is too early to start a sheep pen? Some players, such as pein, think this is essential. Others disagree.

I'm not daunted by the task. I've gotten to forged tools as an Eve a few times. However, I really enjoy exploring and experimenting with other players' strategies.

The small berries was me. Although morti has a sweet town setup guide.

As Eve Storm i first find a location with soil water berries and other food. Close to good temp land as i can find.

Get kiln make bowls and plates. If enough eggs make omlets. Get berry farm going. Then carrots. By this point between running and having kids its time for them to start taking over. Task direction is the name of the game.

You farm, you fire, you forge, you hunt i tell my kids. This allows me to pick up any slack and teach along the way.

It really is all about giving the kids a job, the ones that cant figure it out die and the ones that dont want to help run away.

If soil is depleting fast then its time for a pin. If you have berries and carrots and weat you are doing good at an eve farm. Have a kid make pies. Easy to make early game and allows for expansion of the farm and forageing without eating to many resources. Stew is the best down home meal. Makes a lot of food but you need a solid base for any eve foundation to move up the ranks.

And dont send the only daughter to kill a pig or rangle a snake!

Board footer