One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-24 12:47:22

Micca

I made my very own golden crown today... and died for it!

I really enjoy this game and have for some time now - but this killing of people just makes me kinda sad and angry.

I was Billy. I spend my whole life today making my self a gold crown, figuring out how it works, since I like to learn by doing, instead of looking up wiki about it.
This un-named person in my family kept asking me for it, and I declined her multible times, till she just desided to stab me, I was patched up by my dear family, but she just stabbed me again, because its no big deal, in this game. And I died fighting for the crown I made.

But my life before this, I was Fitzwilliam. This was also today.
I was in a small town farming. I kept the berries, when my mother told me to go find carrot seeds. There was these 2 noisy children in the town, always yelling REEE, at each other, i dont know what gibberish that is, but it was quite disturbing. When I got back with my bag and basket filled with carrot seeds these children had made knives and killed the whole town. Even my dear mother. I ran off before they could get to me, but sadly in my panic i didnt see the snake on the ground and I died, with my arms full of carrot seeds.

Killing people should be much much harder i think. It kinda ruins the game.
This was my first post, I know its been posted on the forum many times before, but I think it's important that it is looked into. Can we maybe have a non-killing realm? An option to just enjoy everything else in the game, but the murdering, from other players. If I want to pvp, ill go back to play WoW.

/Micca

Last edited by Micca (2018-06-24 12:48:01)

#2 2018-06-24 13:02:46

Neo

Re: I made my very own golden crown today... and died for it!

Crowns are bad, Lesson learned. There is zero point in making/wearing a crown and it's a beacon for muderers. Hell, I've stabbed a few crowned players myself.

Mot crowned people either got spoiled at birth or they killed/Robbed the original wearer.  Your obviously the rare exception having made the crown yourself but your still kinda bad.

Making the crown is a waste and it's bad for future generations. I guarantee that your crown will cause many murders in the future, weather if it's crown killers or power tripping crown wearers.

Last edited by Neo (2018-06-24 13:12:38)

#3 2018-06-24 13:04:20

Micca

But very pretty... but its not the crown thats is bad. It didnt murder anyone. The knives did.

Last edited by Micca (2018-06-24 13:05:20)

#4 2018-06-24 13:13:55

Neo

Micca wrote:

But very pretty... but its not the crown thats is bad. It didnt murder anyone. The knives did.

The two are a bad combination, Very very bad combination.

#5 2018-06-24 13:35:19

pennedgalaxy

Micca wrote:

I really enjoy this game and have for some time now - but this killing of people just makes me kinda sad and angry.

I was Billy. I spend my whole life today making my self a gold crown, figuring out how it works, since I like to learn by doing, instead of looking up wiki about it.
This un-named person in my family kept asking me for it, and I declined her multible times, till she just desided to stab me, I was patched up by my dear family, but she just stabbed me again, because its no big deal, in this game. And I died fighting for the crown I made.

But my life before this, I was Fitzwilliam. This was also today.
I was in a small town farming. I kept the berries, when my mother told me to go find carrot seeds. There was these 2 noisy children in the town, always yelling REEE, at each other, i dont know what gibberish that is, but it was quite disturbing. When I got back with my bag and basket filled with carrot seeds these children had made knives and killed the whole town. Even my dear mother. I ran off before they could get to me, but sadly in my panic i didnt see the snake on the ground and I died, with my arms full of carrot seeds.

This was my first post, I know its been posted on the forum many times before, but I think it's important that it is looked into. Can we maybe have a non-killing realm? An option to just enjoy everything else in the game, but the murdering, from other players. If I want to pvp, ill go back to play WoW.

/Micca

Yo, dude! I was Tonya, a female kid at the time of your stabbings! It was really stupid watching someone get whacked over just a crown, your murderer died by the way! And just before I died of old age an Eve spawn into town just when our female population was looking low! Sorry you died my dude, I kept track of your berries and mostly made compost during my life! Hopefully next time we share a town nobody gets stabbed!

Last edited by pennedgalaxy (2018-06-24 14:19:10)

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#6 2018-06-24 14:17:48

Micca

Oh! Im happy to hear the berries was taken care of and that you got an eve. And ofc that the un-named murdere was taken care of smile

#7 2018-06-24 14:21:06

YAHG

Micca wrote:

EVERY FUCKING TIME....

Never gonna be happy, it will never be enough.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-06-24 15:00:19

Micca

YAHG wrote:
Micca wrote:

EVERY FUCKING TIME....

You really need to swear?
This is my first post, so what is it that's never enough for me?

I really just want an option to play without fearing other players. Im always nice and polite, yet I have already been killed in this game by other players more than 10 times. Only thing that kills me more are rattle snakes, but thats my own fault smile

#9 2018-06-24 15:13:18

YAHG

Dude every single time killing gets nerfed, it is only a few days before people start to whine and call for more nerfs.

I suppose I could have said "they are never going to be happy" though. From where I am standing it is just endless
grind-out for more and more control. There are the nerf murdering threads, there are the censor player speech threads,
suggestions to censor the forum, veiled suggestions to ban players threads. It never gets pulled back and it never satisfies.

They are all really part of the same thing whether the participants know it or not. It is the allegorical type as those who
in politics clamor for ever more and more top down control of our lives.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#10 2018-06-24 15:28:19

zennyrpg

Micca wrote:
YAHG wrote:
Micca wrote:

EVERY FUCKING TIME....

I really just want an option to play without fearing other players. Im always nice and polite, yet I have already been killed in this game by other players more than 10 times. Only thing that kills me more are rattle snakes, but thats my own fault smile

Rather than explaining the situation, Yang is going straight for the throat.  Like you know, some of the murders in this game.  hmm

Recently murder has been de-buffed.  We have healing now.  And it takes something like 60 seconds for the murder to drop their weapon.  I once stabbed someone because they asked me too and I was like "welp" and starved to death holding the knife.  I think there is still a debate to be had if people don't find this enough once the dust has settled (sorry Yang, people are never going to stop talking about game balance).  Personally I'd like to be able to use non-deadly weapons in groups to mob-kill people as a means of village defense.

Murderers suck, but I will always argue that the ability to kill people is necessary.  Without it, people could grief in lots of other ways and no one could defend themselves.  Someone could shout racist stuff and you couldn't kill them.  Someone could take all the food, staving everyone, but they wouldn't have to be sneaky because you could do nothing about it.

Also- splitting the player base into killing allowed and killing not-allowed servers is probably not feasible given the current low pop and also not really something Jason should spend his time on.  However, you are more than welcome to host your own private server that has killing disabled.  You could even advertise it on the custom servers thread.

#11 2018-06-24 15:42:07

Micca

I am not really a "hosting a game"-type of person. I just bought this game because I saw it on youtube and found it fun with the survival/crafting stuff in it. The killing I only found out about playing the game and thought, ok that must be a rare thing. But its just been more and more lately. I really enjoy the game alot, but man I get sad and feel less like playing when i get killed by a player.
I love to pvp in other games, but not in this one. But yeah I guess Ill just have to live with it.

#12 2018-06-24 16:22:44

aowen

zennyrpg wrote:

Murderers suck, but I will always argue that the ability to kill people is necessary.  Without it, people could grief in lots of other ways and no one could defend themselves.  Someone could shout racist stuff and you couldn't kill them.  Someone could take all the food, staving everyone, but they wouldn't have to be sneaky because you could do nothing about it.

+1

@Micca
I understand where you're coming from. I believe the quote above is the primary reason why Jason doesn't want to get rid of murder.

If Jason makes another post about it (i.e. it is still considered a problem), you should drop in.

Here's the most recent thread he made on the topic: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2126
There are some non-lethal suggestions in there.

And welcome to the forums! It's a mixed bag here, but Jason posts a lot, which is pretty cool.

#13 2018-06-24 17:55:06

annjust

Neo wrote:

Crowns are bad, Lesson learned. There is zero point in making/wearing a crown and it's a beacon for muderers. Hell, I've stabbed a few crowned players myself.

Mot crowned people either got spoiled at birth or they killed/Robbed the original wearer.  Your obviously the rare exception having made the crown yourself but your still kinda bad.

Making the crown is a waste and it's bad for future generations. I guarantee that your crown will cause many murders in the future, weather if it's crown killers or power tripping crown wearers.

Totally agree with you. It's the crown curse.
I think the first time I hate the crown is three days ago, I born in a town, they have a queen, she keeps the only knife and the only golden crown, in the name of protection she kills people. She make fearness everywhere.

Last edited by annjust (2018-06-24 17:55:45)

#14 2018-06-24 19:36:29

TrustyWay

Knife has known 9 nerfs, it is already enough nerfed. Therefore murder-cooldown is too to high since we can heal. Stop complaining about murder mechanic, it is fine. I find it hard to kill people now, especially people that lies to get healed.

I used to make crowns, I never died with one before my 58 years. When I am too old I die of stravation because i killed an assassin. I hate those people trying to get crowns (i do it too lol sometimes). My best score is around 5 people stabbed to defend myself. There are many people that love power.

#15 2018-06-24 20:59:14

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

Dude every single time killing gets nerfed, it is only a few days before people start to whine and call for more nerfs.

I suppose I could have said "they are never going to be happy" though.

For very low values of "never":
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 981#p19981
"So if your town gets wiped out by mass murderer, it's really your fault now.  If anything, I may think that it has been actually nerfed too much (with extended slowdown, etc.)."

YAHG wrote:

there are the censor player speech threads,

For things that could get them prosecuted IRL if they said it in public place.  What's wrong with that?

YAHG wrote:

suggestions to censor the forum,

Forum is already censored.  You've seen that spam posts dissapearing, didn't you?  Or would you prefer to protect "spammer rights" and have more spam than content on the forum?

YAHG wrote:

veiled suggestions to ban players threads.

Not veiled at all.  Assholes should have accounts suspeneded.  They are on purpose spoiling fun for a lot of people.

YAHG wrote:

They are all really part of the same thing whether the participants know it or not. It is the allegorical type as those who in politics clamor for ever more and more top down control of our lives.

So how about bottom up control?  If there were mechanism in the game for me to say "I don't wan't to play with this player - he's asshole".  Effect would be that he cannot spawn in games I'm playing and I cannot spawn in games that he is playing.  That's how social ostracism work IRL.  Would you support it or oppose it?

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-24 21:26:49)

#16 2018-06-25 00:16:32

sanchez

Crown = target easy as

#17 2018-06-25 01:47:24

Acozi

Micca wrote:
YAHG wrote:
Micca wrote:

EVERY FUCKING TIME....

This isn't the sims. Murder makes this game fun. It's not hard to avoid bears snakes etc.

#18 2018-06-25 01:59:41

zennyrpg

Acozi wrote:

This isn't the sims. Murder makes this game fun. It's not hard to avoid bears snakes etc.

Murder is not essential to the core vision of the given Jason's trailer and description.  Its contributing to society in a small meaningful way.  Murder is a necessary evil bought on by the need to allow players to stop bad behavior.  This is not a PVP game.

Edit: It is a game about society, and society contains murder.  I would hardly say that "murder" is the fun part of society though.

Last edited by zennyrpg (2018-06-25 02:01:25)

#19 2018-06-25 02:00:39

YAHG

sc0rp wrote:

For very low values of "never":

Well, good for you. It is important for people to agree with me every once and a while. No one should have to be wrong all the time <3

sc0rp wrote:

For things that could get them prosecuted IRL if they said it in public place.  What's wrong with that?

Not true in the USA at least.

sc0rp wrote:

Forum is already censored.  You've seen that spam posts dissapearing, didn't you?  Or would you prefer to protect "spammer rights" and have more spam than content on the forum?

Comparison is faulty due to different context, this is getting into strawman type arguments. I am not gonna legit entertain the idea that
I am defending the guys trying to hack peoples computers with scam links. If that is how you are reading me, I guess you are reading me wrong.

sc0rp wrote:

Not veiled at all.  Assholes should have accounts suspeneded.  They are on purpose spoiling fun for a lot of people.

The irony is strong, these people are trying to ruin my fun. Why is theirs better than mine?
I am not sure what the legal repercussions are either, I don't remember an Eula. Refunds would require pretty decent amount of overhead
on Jason's part to administer.

sc0rp wrote:

So how about bottom up control?  If there were mechanism in the game for me to say "I don't wan't to play with this player - he's asshole".  Effect would be that he cannot spawn in games I'm playing and I cannot spawn in games that he is playing.  That's how social ostracism work IRL.  Would you support it or oppose it?

Yeah, I like this. I don't know if you ever saw my post https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1406 .
Server separations for player to player incompatibility probably isn't really feasible because you would just end up
needing more and more servers.

He can't give out the player info as far as emails go because that would be breach of trust nor is there any personal identification
info on the lineage server or in game for good reason.

The most sensible way to segregate would be mutual birth exclusions, permanent birth exclusions presents another problem in the
same way as the server split would. It trends towards sterile Eve only game-play and not just for the people you don't like.

I think the post I linked is a really good way to do it because it also adds to the depth of game-play and would give a framework
for more interesting high end game-play after village is set up and running well.

#20 2018-06-25 04:35:14

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

Not true in the USA at least.

Yes, it's true in USA and many other countries.  As I wrote in other thread: try to stand in the middle of busy street next to the cop and start shouting profanities.  Tell us how it went.  You most likely will be charged with disturbing the peace:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breach_of_the_peace
"Disturbing the peace is a crime generally defined as the unsettling of proper order in a public space through one's actions. This can include [...] disturbing others by [...] using profanity."

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

Comparison is faulty due to different context, this is getting into strawman type arguments. I am not gonna legit entertain the idea that I am defending the guys trying to hack peoples computers with scam links. If that is how you are reading me, I guess you are reading me wrong.

No, I'm reading you that you agree that moderating what people can say in public is sometimes lesser of two evils.  It's not black and white and you just choose to draw the line at different point than I do. But you still draw the line.

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

The irony is strong, these people are trying to ruin my fun. Why is theirs better than mine?

Cause they are breaking law?  IANAL, so I'm not sure that OHOL server can be considered "public space", but I wouldn't be surprised if it could.  And it doesn't need to be complete ban - just let them play only with other assholes.  They can have double the fun.

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

Yeah, I like this. I don't know if you ever saw my post https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1406 .

That deals with lineage ban, so it's something different.

YAHG wrote:

The most sensible way to segregate would be mutual birth exclusions,

+1
prevent birth at any lineage you are playing during your lifetime there

YAHG wrote:

permanent birth exclusions presents another problem in the same way as the server split would. It trends towards sterile Eve only game-play and not just for the people you don't like.

It shouldn't be permanent - people change.  May last, for example, a day.  If you ban again - a week, etc.  And it doesn't need to be absolute, e.g. you can't spawn only when three or more people there hates you.  If you just had a quarrel with one or two people, it shouldn't matter.  If you pissed off a lot of people, you find yourself banned from all villages and towns pretty quickly. Even with rate limiting (e.g. only one person per day) it still may be too effective, though.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-25 04:55:24)

#21 2018-06-25 07:20:27

pein

make a pack before crown

make a pack before knife

today i had a run in a very much decayed town, mom had a knife and put it into the box, a girl told me needs backpack she has a knife
you aint got shit bitch, you didnt even made a basket, i aint giving my pack which is the only one and you shouldnt ask for it, if already adult how the fuck you dont know we got no packs or anything
ofc she killed a kid, and mom shot her so i took the knife
killed a few snakes, then made cart, brought like 12 baskets, as we had wiped map, we had reed, people didnt even used up the stuff, then i died to a snake carrying iron pretty far form camp

anyway kills are not op now, healing after a while pretty easy
breaking into rooms too easy, easier than making one and locking
people still ask for nerfing

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#22 2018-06-25 17:23:14

Intangir

I was granted a crown by my adopted mother the only play through where i actually SAW a crown

she was granted it by someone, not sure if they were related, then the old queen died, then my adopted mother had it, she ran around doing all sorts of tasks as needed as most do, and gave some leadership advice

then she got old and granted it to me because thats pretty much what i was doing to, my own son harassed me constantly for the crown but i told him we had work to do first

several times people looked to me for leadership and i simply pointed out things that needed doing

then when i got old i gave the crown and a knife had to my daughter who looked like a hard worker, i felt i had left things in good hands and passed peacefully from the world

the crown is kind of a fun symbol, its interesting to see how people respond to it, real life 'authority' is no different imo, its just a perception in the minds of those who believe in it

Board footer