One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-24 11:55:25

Potjeh

Sheep balance

Why the hell does it cost the same to either get an existing sheep to regrow wool or to get a whole new sheep with wool plus poop for compost? Obviously the latter choice is superior and everybody will go for it. The problem is that mutton is a little too good for the cost, so you wind up overproducing meat and it clutters everything. On the flipside there's a lot more demand for wool then there is supply, but the cost is too high to justify feeding shorn sheep for wool alone. IMO regrowing wool should be made cheaper (feed a sheep *any* fruit or vegetable maybe) and the cost of getting a new sheep should be higher (maybe two or three carrot berry bowls total).

#2 2018-06-24 12:04:17

TheRedBug

Re: Sheep balance

Just eat the sheep meat? It doesn't even require wheat. Also poop is good to have, if you lay alot around, people will be more inclined to make compost

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-06-24 12:16:33

sc0rp

Potjeh wrote:

the cost is too high

Since when bowl of berries + one carrot is too high cost?

#4 2018-06-24 12:21:26

Potjeh

We don't need as much poop with the new improved compost, so higher cost wouldn't ruin it. And the cost of wool is too high because I just got murdered for shearing a sheep while there was still a mouflon in the pen.

#5 2018-06-24 12:42:44

sc0rp

Potjeh wrote:

We don't need as much poop with the new improved compost, so higher cost wouldn't ruin it.

You cannot just look at the steady state. Have you tried to restart compost cycle after a famine? Nerfing compost may make it nearly impossible.  And have you been in a town with too much milkweed lately?  That costs soil too.

Potjeh wrote:

And the cost of wool is too high because I just got murdered for shearing a sheep while there was still a mouflon in the pen.

Just feed the lamb.  What's the problem?  Compost is a lifeline of the town.  Fucking with it may make shepherd mad.  And he has a knife...  Just bad life choices.

#6 2018-06-24 13:20:38

Potjeh

The problem is that the town was already too cluttered with mutton. Just like most of towns with sheep I've been to. People just fill up pens with slaughtered sheep and they never bother clearing them.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-06-24 13:21:26)

#7 2018-06-24 13:23:13

pein

have you ever brought back sheep?
first time it took me 3 lifetimes to make pen, then it were games when 4 of us made one

the idea behind making thrash pit pen is to get it fast, get the first dung

i been extending pens to 2x or 4x then everyone can have clothes, rather than dropping your kid to do whatever send him to feed sheep and make an apron and a straw hat, even making extra pens wouldnt be bad, or make one nicer looking
and if you think about it, irl sheep consumes the grass and is moved around, so filling a pen with dung then moving pen/extending makes sense

a complete cycle of feeding, clearing meat, making pie, cleaning bones, dung takes a lot of time, now imagine doing it 6 times, cause a baby kid picks up all the wool to make an apron
if you feed them, you can even hide the shears i think, i often do that cause its annoying that everyone just want the resources out of it but the process of cleaning up the mess isnt their thing

if you got a few dung feeding shorn sheep is good

the other thing is, if you shear sheep as it grows wool, it still kills baby lambs, 4 sheep and a cartload of berry bowls makes the process faster, rather than waiting the muflon pop out the next lamb

Last edited by pein (2018-06-24 13:24:21)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-06-24 13:28:13

sc0rp

Potjeh wrote:

The problem is that the town was already too cluttered with mutton. Just like most of towns with sheep I've been to. People just fill up pens with slaughtered sheep and they never bother clearing them.

https://onetech.info/570-Cooked-Mutton

#9 2018-06-24 13:35:06

Potjeh

I made pen and brought sheep in a single lifetime plenty of times. Heck, even made my own shovel for it. And no, the last thing a town needs is more clutter. The leading cause of death is not having space to drop item in hand so you can eat. Building more pens and filling the town with cooked mutton does not help.

And before I shore this sheep I moved four sheep carcasses out of pen, and there was like five poop just sitting there. The "shepherds" are just lazy fucks who create clutter and never clear it, and they never make enough wool for basics like sewing or medicine, let alone clothes. And then they stab people who actually work. HF playing this as singleplayer in a couple of months.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-06-24 13:38:23)

#10 2018-06-24 14:17:50

YAHG

Amen sc0rp they need to just cook the mutton. The people are basically ALWAYS hungry.

If we are composting there is enough dough for the mutton anyways.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#11 2018-06-24 15:08:33

zennyrpg

YAHG wrote:

Amen sc0rp they need to just cook the mutton. The people are basically ALWAYS hungry.

Agree.  I saw a town that had too much mutton.  I traced the supply lines and actually what it needed were more plates.  Because people would eat all the pie to get the plates back to make more pie, but if there were more plates the process could be smoother and we could consume more pie. I had to eat berries in between pie batches... cooking some extra mutton would have been a really good idea.

#12 2018-06-24 15:59:14

pein

Yes you can cook mutton and put in basket. For every sheep you need 4 plates alone. Now making basket is worse, the only thing you can do is carrot pies to remove all grain. But moving sheaf outside is good too. Stew is stationary and people still put in one place. Creates too much clutter. While pie is still best as explorer. The other is ropes, with enough rope you can make a pen of ovens and boxes and just place there. Some graves to store dead lamb. Yet corn is best food if you think about how many calories people waste.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-06-24 23:24:51

Jk Howling

zennyrpg wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Agree.  I saw a town that had too much mutton.  I traced the supply lines and actually what it needed were more plates.  Because people would eat all the pie to get the plates back to make more pie, but if there were more plates the process could be smoother and we could consume more pie. I had to eat berries in between pie batches... cooking some extra mutton would have been a really good idea.

I remember having an excess of mutton in one fairly large village, but literally a solid 70% of the plates were locked in a room and nobody had the key lmao. I don't even know why the fuck they were all in there. There were baskets full of plates and bowls in that room, along with bow and arrows and knives.

I can understand locking up the weapons and maybe files, but all those plates and bowls and baskets had no reason being in that giant [6 by 6 at least] locked room. Probs was a griefer or some shit.

I stopped asking around for the key when some asshole started telling people to kill me because I wasn't working lmao.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-06-24 23:27:05)

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2018-06-25 01:52:24

sc0rp

Jk Howling wrote:

I remember having an excess of mutton in one fairly large village, but literally a solid 70% of the plates were locked in a room and nobody had the key lmao. I don't even know why the fuck they were all in there. There were baskets full of plates and bowls in that room, along with bow and arrows and knives.

I can understand locking up the weapons and maybe files, but all those plates and bowls and baskets had no reason being in that giant [6 by 6 at least] locked room. Probs was a griefer or some shit.

Locked room with weapons, full gear and food = 100% griefer preparing for next killing spree. Seen it more than once, even with locked horse.  Maybe he was too lazy to make pies and waited for others to produce stuff for him first?

Jk Howling wrote:

I stopped asking around for the key when some asshole started telling people to kill me because I wasn't working lmao.

You were bad slave. You should have known your place.

#15 2018-06-25 02:12:32

YAHG

Rereading this I think I have to agree more with OP now.

Currently we have choice either feed sheep for 1 fleece or feed baby for poop+fleece+muttons , it is just poor game balance
as the choice offers almost nothing of interest.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-06-25 06:00:50

Turnipseed

YAHG wrote:

Rereading this I think I have to agree more with OP now.

Currently we have choice either feed sheep for 1 fleece or feed baby for poop+fleece+muttons , it is just poor game balance
as the choice offers almost nothing of interest.

A good balance would be at least getting a dung and a fleece from an adult sheep.. i mean grownups poop too right? Pretty sure theres even a book on the fact lol

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#17 2018-06-25 22:58:36

Potjeh

A decent tradeoff would be getting fleece and poop from feeding adults, and fleece and mutton from feeding lambs.

Board footer