One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-25 00:33:10

lostlandofcarrots

Re: Give birth to the killer of your people

I'm just gonna post this here, since I think it quite relevant to the situation at hand:

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/tscc3e5 … y-pacifism

I like to consider myself a normal, functioning human being. Thus, I don't like being abusive to other humans. Ruining five, or ten, or even one, other person's harmless fun time is not my idea of fun. I find the idea repulsive, as I do the people that enjoy this sort of thing.

That being said, unfortunately this game favors these kinds of people. That goes double for this forum. I know internet communities tend to be rather toxic, it's in their nature, but this forum is one of the worse ones I've seen. All in the name of free speech absolutism, which I've seen kill communities before. The idea that an unmoderated community will become a bastion of rational discussion and exchange of ideas is a rather naive one; it's more likely that trolls and spammers will take over, and in the end, will be the only ones left.

The way this game and community is right now, it feels to me like the only winning move is not to play. Thus, I'll be taking a indefinite break from it all. For what it's worth, I wish Jason all the best for his game. It's one of the better games I've played, and very much a unique experience. I really do hope to see it succeed, despite any hardships along the way.

#27 2018-06-25 01:10:42

Styok

Sin wrote:

...banished to a griefers only server where they can kill each other all day.

This is pretty much exactly what I thought of last night.
It's a good way to get around the whole "lifetime server account" thing preventing people from being entirely banned.
(I would probably allow decent people access to the server, too, though, for times when they are feeling masochistic or want to blow off some steam.)

Now, all we need is a way to implement such a strategy without massively increasing Jason's workload...

#28 2018-06-25 01:41:58

YAHG

It isn't against the law to call someone whatever you want. At least not in the USA, people have been recorded calling Bill Clinton a
rapist at his rallies. People called Obama a nigger all the time also a terrorist sympathizer and secret Muslim. People call trump all
sorts of fun stuff, like Hitler and whatever.

Hundreds of people call the whitehouse everyday and threaten to kill the president. Most of these people are not arrested. To be arrested for
making threats it has to be plausible that you are capable of carrying them out. Also killing someones video game character is not illegal in
the USA either..

I get it, you might want people gone. Go ahead remove them, you have the weapons or at least the ability to make them.

You can turn off the game if you don't like the people you are playing with. You can make your own invite only server and kick out people
who offend you or get reported to whatever organization you set up.

The lineage server is also on github so you can have your custom server link the accounts to email people use to sign up to your server
with the lives lived. I believe the game log folder records player chat so you should be able to use that in your reporting system.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#29 2018-06-25 02:41:09

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

It isn't against the law to call someone whatever you want. At least not in the USA,

Of course it is, you don't know the law in your own country:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

There are this kind of laws in all civilized countries, e.g. in EU:
"Defamation laws may come into tension with freedom of speech, leading to censorship or chilling effects where publishers fear lawsuits. Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights permits restrictions on freedom of speech when necessary to protect the reputation or rights of others."

YAHG wrote:

people have been recorded calling Bill Clinton a
rapist at his rallies. People called Obama a nigger all the time also a terrorist sympathizer and secret Muslim. People call trump all
sorts of fun stuff, like Hitler and whatever.

1. There are special rules for public figures.
2. It's civil offence not criminal, so it's up to plaintiff to decide whether to sue or not.

YAHG wrote:

Also killing someones video game character is not illegal in the USA either.

No, it isn't.  But we're not talking about that.  Try to stand in the middle of busy street next to the cop and start shouting profanities.  Tell us how it went.  You most likely will be charged with disturbing the peace:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breach_of_the_peace
"Disturbing the peace is a crime generally defined as the unsettling of proper order in a public space through one's actions. This can include [...] disturbing others by [...] using profanity."

YAHG wrote:

You can turn off the game if you don't like the people you are playing with. You can make your own invite only server and kick out people who offend you or get reported to whatever organization you set up.

The lineage server is also on github so you can have your custom server link the accounts to email people use to sign up to your server with the lives lived. I believe the game log folder records player chat so you should be able to use that in your reporting system.

I have better idea.  Let the people that break the law start their own private server.  Why I should flee, not them?

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-25 02:56:51)

#30 2018-06-25 04:09:49

sc0rp

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

I'm just gonna post this here, since I think it quite relevant to the situation at hand:

+1 Insightful

#31 2018-06-25 04:47:54

YAHG

You spin shit. I'm kinda bummed out cause you don't usually seem retarded.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#32 2018-06-25 05:00:55

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

You spin shit. I'm kinda bummed out cause you don't usually seem retarded.

Argumentum ad personam? Didn't expect that from you.

#33 2018-06-25 05:03:16

Realcooldude

Yah happened to me too. No way to stop it. Probably the same guy. http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=388466 i kind of feel sorry for him! He has to play a game where hardley anyone can fight back just to git his rocks off on a kill. I bet he sucks at COD or real PVP games.

#34 2018-06-25 05:05:53

Realcooldude

sc0rp wrote:
lostlandofcarrots wrote:

+1 Insightful

Not sure how a post supporting capitalism applies here but to each his own.

#35 2018-06-25 05:13:08

sc0rp

Realcooldude wrote:
sc0rp wrote:
lostlandofcarrots wrote:

+1 Insightful

Not sure how a post supporting capitalism applies here but to each his own.

Capitalism? It's a post about moderating content in public space.  And what happens if you allow assholes to reign free.

#36 2018-06-25 06:24:34

JonySky
Website

TrustyWay I'm not saying you can not play killer or play as you want .... the problem is that this guy was having a pedophile behavior and that friend is not necessary. I have read on several occasions in this forum people with racist attitudes, or toxic people that their way of "having fun" is spoiling the experience of other players ... imagine for a moment that tomorrow 50% of people in this game are toxic, what do we say to the other 50% of people who want to play normally? We tell everyone to make a knife to kill the other 50%? in this has to convert OHOL? in a PVP against toxic griefers? I want to continue playing OHOL but without toxic people ... I do not want to see racist or pedophile comments in my games. These people do not want to play OHOL, they want to break their experience, make him have a hard time. NO THANKS

#37 2018-06-25 10:58:28

pein

once i kidnapped a few baby girls to have time to prepare camp

i knew we cant support so much
and most people just ate berries, working alone to fix it

then they started bitching about it, but i couldnt even move before a baby taking away necessary tools or resources so was no way of making tools
so i was pissed and reversed strategy, i force fed all moms and babies and made a lot of fires for each baby xD
of course they bitched even more
but was funny, people chasing me with bows and starving, ofc now they planted milkweed to shoot me, before they couldnt so we can have a cart or something

they ended up having like 13 baby each and all dead before age 9, max 14, had like 15 cousins
but hey we dont need tools just more babies

and the funny thing that i was male and one other guy and 90% of kids were girls who were brought back to fire
i dont mind in big cities but in shitcamps we need like 4 fertile females tops
unskilled players are very bad being a mother, and can be decent as male
and baby machines are biggest griefers, i cant kill 9 kids, they can
kidnapping can be prevented with one simple click to jump off
the mothers who dont give a fuck about resources and working just baby popping are the problem, so i dont wonder why are so many kidnappers

people eating all carrot from compost, blocking   others, messing up the place, eating whole berry farms, without fixing it etc there are a lot more annoying things than kidnappers
especially with no lineage ban, why cant you have kids 10 min later?

killers can be annoying, but as long as there is some fertile females alive its fine
its so easy to kill someone on slowdown, so prepare  for it and know the city, where is what

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#38 2018-06-25 15:48:52

ThatGirlOverThere

I so agree with you players like this one should be removed from this game permanently... its very distasteful

#39 2018-06-25 16:37:01

Naeght

Sadly the game has become a power trip for sociopaths.

#40 2018-06-26 00:13:20

Superfun2
Banned

This was me!!!

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#41 2018-06-26 01:38:19

MaliaPlays

I completely agree with what sin said, until this is fixed I won’t be playing the game.

#42 2018-06-26 03:24:49

Feldspar

TrustyWay wrote:

Boys, this game is the only place where you can be abusive.

There SHOULDN'T BE a place where you can be abusive. If you have that need (and in this case keep in mind *that need* refers to a player who rp'd as a child rapist/murderer) than I would suggest counseling rather than video games.

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

I know internet communities tend to be rather toxic, it's in their nature, but this forum is one of the worse ones I've seen. All in the name of free speech absolutism, which I've seen kill communities before. The idea that an unmoderated community will become a bastion of rational discussion and exchange of ideas is a rather naive one; it's more likely that trolls and spammers will take over, and in the end, will be the only ones left.

+1 to this. The problem with this kind of toxic behavior is that it comes at the expense of literally every other normal functioning human playing the game. "Free speech" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without consequence- it just means you can criticize the government without being arrested. We should be perfectly within our rights to request bans for players showing anti-social behavior.

Superfun2 wrote:

This was me!!!

Are you saying you were the child-rapist? If so get some bloody counseling, you pathetic human.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#43 2018-06-26 04:11:33

Superfun2
Banned

Yes that was me!!!

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#44 2018-06-26 04:44:15

YAHG

Superfun2 wrote:

Yes that was me!!!

ty for triggering the wannabee tyrants

#45 2018-06-26 05:44:02

Superfun2
Banned

YAHG that was my point

#46 2018-06-26 06:03:51

YAHG

Superfun2 wrote:

YAHG that was my point

Now I know you don't play Warcraft 3..

"That was my plan.."

#47 2018-06-26 07:24:41

mikekchar

This is basically the same conversation that plays on this forum over and over again.  There are some games where people are intentionally asses to each other.  Eve Online comes to mind.  The entertainment of the game is to form alliances, fight against someone else, and betray each other.  There is a rich meta game where people are literally horrible to each other for the sake of getting an advantage in the game.  The designers of the game do this because they want to build that kind of game.

Frequently I see people post here saying that they want to play in a certain way and that they don't want to be restricted.  What's left out of the discussion is the implicit idea that these people don't care if they are ruining the other person's game.  Now, you will note that this goes both ways: a griefer does not care that they ruin the game for other people -- indeed, that is the point.  Maybe a person doesn't even see themself as a griefer; only that their actions ruin the game for someone else and they don't care.  What's important is that *they* have fun.  On the other side, non-griefers want to play in a certain environment and don't want to have griefers.  They don't care if the griefers are no longer able to play -- indeed that is perferable.

The problem, in my estimation, is not that one side is clearly right and that the other side is clearly wrong.  It's that the game is designed in such a way that griefers (even if they are reluctant to call themselves that) and non-griefers are brought together.  Specifically and intentionally, the game does not prefer one to the other.  I think that's a big mistake from a game design perspective, even if it is interesting from a social experiment perspective.   A choice needs to be made.

#48 2018-06-26 10:22:26

Feldspar

Tbh I've been thinking that in the extreme cases like the one OP described, no amount of in game mechanics is going to solve the problem.

I think things like medicine were a much needed addition to the game as they are a counter again low level griefing (the odd bored killer etc). Unfortunately for the people who genuinely have something *wrong* with them in real life- the ones whose only joy comes from exerting power over other people- any new mechanic is probably just a challenge for them. Even if you took away killing completely these types of people would still likely get joy (or as much as they can understand of that emotion) from trying to disturb others over the chat (aka rp'ing as a pedo Etc). In these extreme cases literally the only good solution is banning them completely from the game. With the family tree system, psycho players should be easy to identify so I think a post game reporting system could be possible- although unfortunately since this game is only made by one guy, it might just be too much for Jason to handle right now hmm

just here putting off doing my assignments

#49 2018-06-26 11:14:49

TrustyWay

I don't think this forum is toxic, there are oppositions, discussions, not everybody going the same way like zombie, we would call it toxic if there were no waves.

I find it very american to be sensitive about how people are or act. But the way you act to stop those toxic people are as much toxic as them. Somebody behaving like a pedophile is free to act as he wants even if he highly might end up stabbed. I have been once killed for being black, anthoer time for being white, once I was a kid that has been kidnapp then raped.

I just go along their fun even if I am a victim. It was very fun. I don't need to be triggered for everything that isn't like what i except to be. It is just a game and words. Why do you feel the need to be hurt ? It is bad for yourself and everybody else. Just learn how to have fun about inappropriate things, or killl him or suicide.

Accept players because we are from all over the world, we can joke on everything, we wont limit to the narrow vision of what is funny or not, your good manners aren't the same as ours hmm You are not here to be a social justice warrior

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-26 11:29:30)

#50 2018-06-26 12:59:24

JonySky
Website

TrustyWay
OK, let's take this problem to other games,

For example:
Playerunknow Battleground: 4 people as a team enter to play single-player games
The other solitary players complain about the team of 4 people ...
according to you they must follow your diversion, it is only 1 game ... only 4 people that want to have fun, that the other players learn to have fun! ...
luckily the Pubg developers realized this, and if there is team play when it is only for 1 player you are banned and banned for all your team

League of legend: Justin Carter, LOL player threatened, verbally harassed other players and threatened terrorism, joked with his mental state ... another player told him one day that he was crazy, he replied "I think I'm going to go a nursery to shoot children and watch their blood run down the floor "
according to you they must follow your diversion, it's only 1 game ... it's just a role!
luckily other players reported it and has had problems with the law in the USA

Now let's set the example in OHOL,
Imagine that there is a player in African One-Hour One Life who just had problems with his skin color in his real life
and he meets a racist player, who enjoys making "bad jokes" about his race ...
According to you, you must continue the fun !! this person should laugh, if he does not follow the fun that goes away, that the African is disconnected and never play again !!! it is only a game!!
Luckily there are laws that punish this type of behavior

and now we set the example with you:
Imagine that a hacker gets a way to kill all his civilization in OHOL with a single click in the air ... a headshot anywhere on the map.
You are born and within a few seconds this hacker kills you mercilessly, is reborn and the situation is repeated, and so on until you get tired and close the game
according to you, you should have fun, laugh with the hacker! this is so funny ... and since there is no system to ban a player this hacker will be doing this until he gets tired ...

Or for example a spammer:
You are born in a civilization where there is a guy who is dedicated to publish web links from the game chat massively
the messages of the chat that you send are so long that nobody can read other comments
children die of hunger because you do not see the "F" of food
nobody can communicate
According to you is another way to have fun ... let's do all the same !!!

I honestly do not want to play like this ...

Most games that have a voice or text chat have a system of banning, if you look at the options for the ban they are almost always the same:
Hackers
racism
bullying
Offensive images or texts,
scams

I do not see any problem in implementing something like that, let's not leave the door open to all these griefers

or if you do not want to include something like that, you can activate or deactivate messages from different people in the game ... in this way, the toxic, the pedophile, the racist will stay talking only

We do not have to listen to the mental retardation of other people

I'm not here to be the "defender warrior" of anyone or any community of a video game, so other games have designed systems to avoid these toxic and abusive behaviors so that nobody has to have that role of "defender warrior"

Anyway I have to tell you something ... these people are not happy doing this ... they just enjoy being superior to the rest and causing the greatest possible damage, but this does not mean they are happy
when there is no one "normal" playing OHOL and only the Griefers are left, they will leave, because they can not cause the pain to others

Last edited by JonySky (2018-06-26 13:53:25)

Board footer