One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 05:39:18

sanchez

Disconnects

Is this just me or is that wide spread loads of my deaths come from disconnects get a thing going then bam lag followed by DC or just random DC for no apparent reason.

#2 2018-06-18 17:26:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Disconnects

Sounds like an issue with your internet connection.  Are you playing on WiFi?

I've never seen a disconnect myself, ever, when playing OHOL.

#3 2018-06-18 20:47:36

Morti

jasonrohrer wrote:

Sounds like an issue with your internet connection.  Are you playing on WiFi?

I've never seen a disconnect myself, ever, when playing OHOL.

Jason, I've played an average of 9-10 hours a day, every day for the last 10 weeks, I get them about five to ten times a day.
My ISP is Charter Spectrum here in Michigan and I have 50 Mbps down and 5Mbps up with a 30 ms ping.

I do lose my internet connection about once a day for about 5 minutes, but this would only account for one of the disconnects in game a day. I don't know if it is GoDaddy that you are hosting through or has something to do with the recent changes in net neutrality and my ISP is throttling GoDaddy or what, but it's happening.

Anyone but me may have given up on the game with this many disconnects a day. But I just use each disconnect as a reason to take in a deep breath and sigh.

#4 2018-06-18 20:55:41

FounderOne

I am located in Germany. I don't remember connection losses, only a handful of times when my internet adapter in the computer made a coffee break.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#5 2018-06-18 21:00:11

Morti

TBH I don't know what is happening or who is hosting, I just did a whois on server1.onehouronelife.com and saw godaddy was the registrar, maybe that doesn't mean they are hosting, maybe it's you hosting from another PC in your house or something, but, none-the-less, it's happening. I can't recall a single day I've not had a disconnect playing, but like I said, I play an average of 9-10 hours a day, some days it's been 0 hours, but many it's been almost the entire time I've been awake. And on a day where I might play 14-18 hours, I probably get an average of five disconnects every one of those days, and some days it's much worse.

#6 2018-06-18 21:10:11

sc0rp

I think that game should try to reconnect upon loosing tcp connection or timing out on keep alives.  That may help alleviate some intermittent problems.

#7 2018-06-18 22:20:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Game is hosted on Linode, Morti.... not godaddy garbage.  That's just the place I bought the domain names.

Is there any pattern to when the disconnects happen?  Anything else you notice before disconnect?  Lag spike, etc?  Or just BAM, disconnect?  Also, is there any chance that at least some of these disconnects were false (in that you really died server-side, but it was reported to you incorrectly by the client)?  Like, maybe you stepped on a snake, but it was reported to you as a disconnect?

Can you send me your stdout.txt after the next time it happens?

Looking at your account for Friday, June 15, you lived 25 lives, and saw 2 disconnects.

Saturday, you lived 40 lives and saw 4 disconnects.

Looking at other top players, I'm seeing a substantial number of disconnects as well.  That's not good... though I don't think this has been widely reported to me before this.

Have people been just living with rampant disconnects for months now?

#8 2018-06-18 22:30:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ran some stats just now.  6817 lives lived on Saturday.  67% died from hunger or deadly animal, 3% died of old age, 1.5% died from murder, and the remaining 28% died from disconnects.  That's a lot of disconnects.

HOWEVER, out of the 1900 disconnects, 340 were shortly after age 14, and 621 were shortly after age 0, so I'm pretty sure these are voluntary disconnects to quick-suicide as Eve and as a newborn in an undesirable situation.  That leaves 939, or 13%, of deaths due to disconnects at other ages.

Some of these may be voluntary (people quitting the game for whatever reason).  But it still seems pretty high.

#9 2018-06-18 22:57:56

Joriom
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ran some stats just now.  6817 lives lived on Saturday.  67% died from hunger or deadly animal, 3% died of old age, 1.5% died from murder, and the remaining 28% died from disconnects.  That's a lot of disconnects.

HOWEVER, out of the 1900 disconnects, 340 were shortly after age 14, and 621 were shortly after age 0, so I'm pretty sure these are voluntary disconnects to quick-suicide as Eve and as a newborn in an undesirable situation.  That leaves 939, or 13%, of deaths due to disconnects at other ages.

Some of these may be voluntary (people quitting the game for whatever reason).  But it still seems pretty high.

Numbers! Statistics! Ratios! Percentages! Mmm... I just came... to the conclusion we need more of that!

#10 2018-06-18 23:03:03

sc0rp

ESC+% or Alt-F4 does count as disconnect or not?

#11 2018-06-18 23:10:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, quitting the game like that just disconnects from the server.  I want it to quit NOW, and so there's no time to send a QUIT message to the server.  The connection is simply closed.

#12 2018-06-18 23:39:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You been seeing a lot of disconnects yourself, Joriom?

And what about your bot?

#13 2018-06-18 23:40:42

sc0rp

So the majority of disconnections may be like that.  Maybe close gui, but send some quit command to the server and linger process for few seconds to get acknowledge? Or write down some info locally and report it on next connection.

#14 2018-06-19 00:17:30

Valences42

Most of my "died of starvations" have been me standing by a berry bush humping the air for 10 seconds... ha!

#15 2018-06-19 01:46:17

sanchez

So have wired connection. Sometimes it lags a bit when im doing actions like picking something dropping something, then bam.
Sometimes just standing around like holding a baby. Sometimes just running around BAM disconnect. I have live music station playing in background there is no interruptions when disconnects lagspikes happen.

#16 2018-06-19 01:49:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Next time it happens, can you email me your stdout.txt  ?

#17 2018-06-19 02:16:19

Morti

Figured I'd do a little math and I've been playing for 77 days and logged 655 hours, that's only 8.5 hours a day. Not nearly as bad as my rough guess of 10 hours. Thought that's almost 60 hours a week. Anyway, thanks for clearing up who you are hosting through. I don't know a lot about computer stuff, but I did feel bad assuming GD was the one hosting.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Is there any pattern to when the disconnects happen?  Anything else you notice before disconnect?  Lag spike, etc?  Or just BAM, disconnect?  Also, is there any chance that at least some of these disconnects were false (in that you really died server-side, but it was reported to you incorrectly by the client)?  Like, maybe you stepped on a snake, but it was reported to you as a disconnect?

Patterns, hmm, mostly in the morning. Sometimes afternoon, sometimes around dinner time. If I could guess times I'd say 40-50% occur around 5-7 AM EDT, 20-30% occur around 10 AM to Noon, and the rest, another 20-30% around 4-6 PM. So, almost like it's breakfast, lunch and dinner times. Rarely do I get disconnects in the late evening or night. As for the things I've noticed, yeah, I do get the jumps, or bounces, and those happen a lot. I recover from them about 3/4 of the time, but the other 1/4 or so are when I get disconnected. Maybe 1/3 of those that I "recover" from, I end up getting the message I died of starvation.

Got one of these I didn't report to you.

EdmQgfa.jpg

I was just so in the mood to play, I think I played another 4 or 5 hours that day and it wasn't until the next day I remembered I took this screen grab, but, then I just started playing again...

False? I don't get them when I step on snakes, never had that happen, that I can recall, although I'm not 100% certain. Most happen when I go to use an object on another object or go to pick something up, I start bouncing and disconnect.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Can you send me your stdout.txt after the next time it happens?

Sure, if I can remember and am not so helplessly in the mood to play that I forget.

I've gotten so used to just waiting to be able to reconnect, which, can take anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute or two, that I just automatically click get reborn, bring up my browser, put on a Youtube video and just listen for the BRRRING sound that I'm back in game. If it's one of those odd, regular ISP disconnects, then I just do something else and I'm back on in 5-15 minutes. Those can happen late at night, like 3 AM, or in the morning around 10 AM or so, but they are mostly early morning.

I'll try to remember to email the stdout.txt to you next time I get disconnected and it's not due to me losing connection to my ISP.
Less you want it either way?

#18 2018-06-19 02:25:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wait, so after disconnect, you cannot immediately reconnect?

What happens in the meantime?

It says WAITING TO BE BORN for a bit and then fails?  And then you keep trying to log in again, over and over, and finally get through?

It sounds like there's simply no route to the server for you, during this time.  Like an actual internet outage of some kind.  I guess a partial one, since you can watch YouTube....

And as proof that it's not a server-wide outage, when you finally get back in the game, you see a thriving village with people of different ages around, right?  That means that none of them got disconnected, or blocked from re-connecting, while you were out.

What happens if you try to ping server1.onehouronelife.com while there is an outage?

Have you tried looking at the reflector during the outtage?  Does it load?

http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

What about the main game website?

#19 2018-06-19 03:09:48

sanchez

I can instantly reconnect get reborn, nothing gets disrupted.
Ping statistics for 45.33.20.31:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 200, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 140ms, Maximum = 219ms, Average = 147ms

#20 2018-06-20 13:47:34

Morti

jasonrohrer wrote:

Wait, so after disconnect, you cannot immediately reconnect?

What happens in the meantime?

I click Get Reborn and then I get the three red dots across the top of the screen, blinking in sequence. All I can recall, not sure there are any words, just the three red dots.

Sometimes it goes through right away, but usually there is a wait, it can be 5 seconds, 5 minutes or longer, but if it's longer than ten minutes it usually means my internet has gone out, which, as I mentioned happens about once a day. No idea why.

jasonrohrer wrote:

It says WAITING TO BE BORN for a bit and then fails?  And then you keep trying to log in again, over and over, and finally get through?

Na it's more like a one time, click Get Reborn and then the three red lights and I just wait. I turn my volume up so I hear the sound of me entering the game and do housework, make food, read the forums or watch videos, sometimes I go on Twitch and see if anyone is streaming, hoping to see someone complaining about getting disconnected, but it's always just me, at least that I find. It was worse a month ago, but I think things have gotten better over the last few weeks; less disconnects, little less bouncing in game.

jasonrohrer wrote:

It sounds like there's simply no route to the server for you, during this time.  Like an actual internet outage of some kind.  I guess a partial one, since you can watch YouTube....

I used to get problems routing through Chicago when I played Ultima Online and wanted to play on Central, Mountain or West Coast servers. I had a program that would ping every server along the way and Everything west of Ohio routed through Chicago, but that was back in the late 90s. No idea what or where the problem is down the line in this case.

jasonrohrer wrote:

And as proof that it's not a server-wide outage, when you finally get back in the game, you see a thriving village with people of different ages around, right?  That means that none of them got disconnected, or blocked from re-connecting, while you were out.

Definately not server wide simultaneously. Sometimes I bounce for 10-20 seconds and recover, then ask other players if they got lag, and sometimes they say no.

jasonrohrer wrote:

What happens if you try to ping server1.onehouronelife.com while there is an outage?

I'm not sure how to ping it without somethig that checks, I recall it could be done with MS DOS but I haven't done it for anything in a very long time. I could look it up and try next time I get disconnected, let you know if anything looks unusual.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Have you tried looking at the reflector during the outtage?  Does it load?

http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

What about the main game website?

They all work fine, when I get the kind of disconnect that only affects the game.

I've just gotten so used to it, especially after things we're really rough, around the time I had about 400 hours played or you'd just introduced the decay of objects. I figured it was just all the tracking of all the decaying objects. I'm running Windows 7 on a 10 year old dual core cpu and mobo, with 4 gigs of ram that's about 6 years old and a graphics card I think came out three years ago. If you want more specific system information I can help you out with that. Not sure what else to say, but I'm really tired right now. Only played 6 hours and not one disconnect I can recall.

Board footer