One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-16 11:12:10

Morti

Apologies, roads, water and soil.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=341280

I would have been Eve Sol, but I told Venus "I am in search of" "the ideal home." and was given the last name In.

I'm sorry to those of you who I abandoned that life. It was very hard on me and deeply disturbing to leave you behind. I may never do that again.

Why I did it?

I was in search of a place better than anything I'd found before.

When I started that life I had a vision, a picture in my mind of a place with cacti, berries and ponds all near the edges of a desert.
It didn't have to be many berries, cacti or even ponds, but it had to have potential that would stand the test of time, say, 60+ generations. Now there are a lot of factors to consider in such a home but the most important ones are food, and not the kind you farm; renewable food. It had to have at least 3 cacti within one screen of the starting area, at least three berry bushes and at least three ponds. The more wild gooseberry bushes the better, the more cacti the better. These are the staples that last through time, when crops fail, and I wanted the best I'd ever seen. Of course I didn't find it. After 600 hours of playing, maybe 60 of that as an Eve and 10 hours of that spent as an Eve searching for a good home, coupled with the, maybe 200 - 300 hours spent living in homes with natural features, like cacti, wild berries and ponds, in your homes, I know a good home when I see it. But I didn't want just good, I wanted great.

When all else fails, the cacti still fruit.

When all else fails, the wild berries still fruit.

And life can begin anew despite the conditions of the crops, or the livestock.

Natural food sources are always there to reduce the stress on the soil supply, the water supply, and every other demand that is a result of making the tools to work them and to make people's lives more accommodating. For the last few hundred hours of my played time I have been finding myself more and more drawn to the cacti. Without giving it much thought I keep up to 20 - 30 of them on mental timers and am continuously out in the desert, pulling the fruit, even when there are huge fields of berries and the rabbit and carrot pies have been flowing nonstop. Now, we have a much wider array of food, and it's all quite alluring, but nothing yet compares to the cacti. Not even the humble berry bush found too often on the cold grassy wastes. With the cacti comes the warmth of the desert, and with that, the extension of life to our civilizations, through the relief that warmth provides to the stress on our lives.

This is still an overlooked matter by a large number of players, and the only way to remedy it is to ensure that if they are working and ignoring their temperatures, than they are working on warm ground.

I wanted to find such a place and I gave up on a few of you and I'm sorry.

Please accept my apology.

--

After playing today for a few hours, revisiting some of the civilizations I was a member of yesterday, I've noticed time and time again my roads. Most of which were planned to be the corners of plots of land, spread apart by 3 spaces so that crops could be grown on 3x3 plots of land. Maybe you've noticed them too.

IADkdkW.png

The intent here is to find the balance of water, soil and land while keeping things easily manageable given the current soil-to-basket ratio of 3-to-1. Spacing out the crops makes it easier to manage with space to place baskets and you easily know how many baskets of soil you need based on the columns or rows. 3 baskets will replenish 9 spaces of dry soil, 6 baskets can replenish the soil if you only want to till them once; by stacking two soil on each pile and tilling, or, if you have enough metal and a smith who doesn't mind making lots of hoes, you can use 3 baskets of soil and till each pile twice.

h7sCkcA.png

Not only this, but I am ultimately looking for a balance between 3x3 areas and the wells that will not drain the wells too fast, nor see that they go underutilized. All this while trying to path through desert areas and near the places people will ultimately place ovens, stew pots, livestock pens and compost.

VKfMd2a.png

How many of x, y or z crop is enough for n people? 3, 6, 9, 18, 45? Depends on the preferences of the food people eat and prepare at the time. But with ample plots any balance can be reached and players are free to make and consume their food of choice.

I choose to make roads with stone rather than walls because they help to guide people and the development of settlements. To lead people to water, or to patches of cacti. To guide people through cemeteries or to help them navigate into, and out, of towns.

These have been some of the reasons I've made roads in the past and in the future I hope they can guide you to your destinations.

--

Feel free to share your thoughts on any of the ratios for recipes, given that some crops are used in multiple recipes, and serve other functions.

I'd also like to say that the potato is going underutilized. Jokes about Irish Famine's aside, you sick bastards, it is a crop that is still highly consumed, especially by western cultures in the form of fast food fries, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, potato salad and in stews. Long as you don't live on a little island nation and are not reusing the same, inbred, cultivars all susceptible to the same pest or blight, there is no reason such a crop shouldn't be more filling, alone or in any recipe.

#2 2018-06-16 21:31:43

Valences42

Re: Apologies, roads, water and soil.

I love your ideas!  The pictures definitely help illustrate what you are going for here.

I hope to see these implemented like the Pein sheep pen iterations.

#3 2018-06-17 09:34:22

Verte

Very interesting plans.
Thank you Morti for sharing your ideas in such a clear, educational maner.

#4 2018-06-17 14:47:29

pein

it certainly better than tossing all berry bushes in one spot, then you run 6 tiles to put a berry in a bowl
only thing that your roads are too expensive around so little farms, and without baskets/boxes/bowls you cannot store the food
i miss free tiles. or a box inside at least

i imagine checkboard farms could be good, but people would fck up instantly
imagine if you  got a berry bush, you plant one after a free tile, then the next between two, under it, its like a checkboard
any direction you click the bush, you will be on free tile not on a bush, this would save clothes too, cause they click bush too late and die next to a bush, and if next to a bush is a bush ,then you lose clothes
or adversely, you could put down a basket and put food into 4 directions or stand middle and get food from 4 directions, having the bowl/basket under you

R-Road
B-berry
T-tile
C-cistern
RRRRRRR
RBTBTBR
RTBTBTR
RBTCTBR
RTBTBTR
RBTBTBR
RRRRRRR

thats 12 soil 7x7 with roads
so 49 tiles 12 farm plots (each carrot/berry tile would have 4 spots to put down), a cistern (without it is 13, but water in middle is great and cart can hold 12 soil)
later you could put a fence for horse and a box for storage on free tile, so one person fills cistern with horsecart full of buckets
one puts down the bucket and fills a box with pouches, bowls wont go inside box if full, and basket is tedious with a box

this would help on harvesting, leaving bowls with water, soil in middle,when only one road is and both sides full of garbage and graves, its so annoying
its for new players, to place a farm right under the kiln, i often place it other side of desert so both use the good temperature, people make farm under it 3 tile away to "be connected", which is stupid as free space for babies, free space for forging, free space near oven is better

i guess so many cisterns would be expensive too, so just bucket in middle?

RRRRRRR
RTBTBTR
RBTBTBR
RTBWBTR
RBTBTBR
RRRRRRR

reverse checkboard is 10 soil in 49 tiles which is good with carrot or corn

but people would immediately fill the free space with more bushes

so maybe would only work if you make the roads and bushes before it, at least 2-3 complexes then their ocd would do the job
but imagine all those roads need tons of wood

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-06-17 17:09:11

Morti

pein wrote:

but imagine all those roads need tons of wood

Well, we are getting
stackable firewood and logs, along with the boars, piglets and pigs so who knows, maybe he'll soon add a way to replant trees.

I've made some pretty long roads in the past, with wood alone, just to connect cities. It's surprisingly easy once you get the hang of getting on and off a horse with a cart between each log, even if it is pretty tedious. Delivering that many butt logs to a carpentry station and then using the froe and mallet with the help of another person, and then hammering the stakes and placing the boards with the help of another person, goes quite fast. A horse with saddle should really be easier to work with though. Either by increasing the amount of time you have before he runs away, decreasing the distance he travels when he runs, or decreasing the speed that he runs away at, or, all of the above. Tamed horses are surprisingly loyal, but then again, all the tamed horses I've seen people interact with were born in captivity. Maybe that's what we could use; horse breeding, and a difference between wild and domesticated horses via new foals?

#6 2018-06-17 17:24:03

Morti

pein wrote:

you will be on free tile not on a bush, this would save clothes too, cause they click bush too late and die next to a bush, and if next to a bush is a bush ,then you lose clothes

This is also something that needs work, either the corpses should be able to occupy the same tile as the bush or plot of soil, or, if the corpse is just going to instantly disappear, have it do so in a manner similar to when you pick up a corpse fully clothed with a basket and the person's belonging are scattered about around the edge of the farm, onto the nearest empty tiles.

While I'm thinking about it, there is a really nice trick for moving objects to the outer edge of a large messy area using another player (child) that can still be picked up. They pick up the object, you pick them up and it's instantly transported outward to the nearest tile so long as the tile you and they are standing on is occupied. Works great for transporting carrots to the outer edges of those really messy towns. If you had really good coordination/communication with a third party and a really big mess it could be a real time saver for instantly transporting good 10, 20... who knows how many tiles!?

#7 2018-06-17 18:34:28

pein

Morti wrote:
pein wrote:

you will be on free tile not on a bush, this would save clothes too, cause they click bush too late and die next to a bush, and if next to a bush is a bush ,then you lose clothes

This is also something that needs work, either the corpses should be able to occupy the same tile as the bush or plot of soil, or, if the corpse is just going to instantly disappear, have it do so in a manner similar to when you pick up a corpse fully clothed with a basket and the person's belonging are scattered about around the edge of the farm, onto the nearest empty tiles.

While I'm thinking about it, there is a really nice trick for moving objects to the outer edge of a large messy area using another player (child) that can still be picked up. They pick up the object, you pick them up and it's instantly transported outward to the nearest tile so long as the tile you and they are standing on is occupied. Works great for transporting carrots to the outer edges of those really messy towns. If you had really good coordination/communication with a third party and a really big mess it could be a real time saver for instantly transporting good 10, 20... who knows how many tiles!?

i sometimes use kids for storage, as i can swap backpacks with him, fill mine, swap, fill his, get out, empty , swap
i seen too many people disappear with a cart full of stuff, i even seen a mom holding a baby girl, only they both were deconencted, the girl grew 15, so either she had a kid and she was dropped, or she just stood there and ran off after or mom went old and she didnt been fed, was in the city where i made first grave pen, between the roads

afk people should also drop items, too many carts and buckets got lost by deconnecting

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-06-18 22:09:43

Valences42

Roads can be made of stone, right?

#9 2018-06-19 20:09:51

pein

just born into something similar and was a mess with stew making, farming anything

needs more space
extended pen to double then to 4x and then was a lot of stabbing

#10 2018-06-19 20:54:08

Morti

Valences42 wrote:

Roads can be made of stone, right?

Yeah, they can. If someone wants to horse cart in 4 stone chunks and make two stone roads replacing the wooden ones, thats fine, but it a pretty time consuming endeavor and if too many people are doing it and not farming, the civ will collapse when young children struggle and die because they do not find food before their meter's run out.

One of the last lives I lived yesterday, I spent my early years before being able to pick up stone chunks, filling in gaps with logs, then switched to hauling stone  for the intersections before asking someone if I could use a cart to haul logs and stone chunks.

The real problem with plans like this, there is only so much time in one life and so little we can actually accomplish as a single player given an hour tops in a civ, this is why I made this post here, so that others would know what the stone roads spaced three apart were about. And amazingly, the day after this post I noticed people repeating those patterns of stone and filling in paths between the intersections with wood.

To those of you who are doing this, thank you. This is the kind of team work we can organize with this forum and the benefit of being able to communicate somewhere else outside of game so that we reserve our time in game for doing the work that makes these results possible.

While moving around town we get to take in a lot of the city and if you see things like the berries languishing or lots of rabbits or mutton on the opposite side of town from the cooking station, take a few minutes out of your time to help relocate those thing nearer to the place where they can be prepared for consumption or replenish water and soil where it's needed. Try to keep the messes and confusion to a minimum and as our collective organizational skills improve and become good habits, so too will our towns become beautiful as their underlying efficiency gives way to artistic inspirations and the quality of life for all those born into our families rises higher than ever before.

Board footer