One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-06 22:20:59

Glassius

More cooking!

There are currently multiple threads about very same issue, eating.
The mono diet
Dying of starvation a few steps away from food
Having some trouble with farmed food design
So many bad players
While there are many solutions to solve many problems, humanity IRL developed the greates one: cooking smile

Problems:
1. Kids bored at camp, exploring and dying from starvation. Same for elders.
2. People trying to min/max and not waste food, eat only near starvation. It keeps young/elders off better food sources and makes adults prone to starvation of lag.
3. People focusing on beries as early meta.

Solutions:
1. Greatly decrease calories of all raw food and simple meals. Kids and elders would not worry about eating while farming, while it is still calories wasting, as cooked meals exceeds base ingredients calories input. But for adults, it will create a rush for cooking, as leaving camp with so timid berry in the hand would seem as leaving with almost nothing in hand. What is more, cooking is a big activity performed at camp, co kids and elders would be motivated to stay cooking. They would be safer and would feel more useful for colony.
2. The more sophisticated cooking recipe, the bigger calories intake, exceeding the base sum of all ingredients. Just like pies currently, but we need more recipes. It will make people farm different crops just for recipes, the most complicated, the more food sources they need.
3. The greatest meals instead of fullfil hunger gauge at once should have less hunger fill per bite, but more bites (just like corn). This way, people would not worry about eating while hunger bar is in the middle. Pies (with 8 bites instead of 4, like pizza) would be useful for teenagers and almost elders without wasting food, while adults will be eating while hunger is in the middle, without waiting for starvation phase to min/max it.
4. More cooking stations:

# single vegetable soup. No meat in such small clay pot. Recipe is just an example, may be tweaked
carrot + simmering water = hot carrot soup on coals # simple food, 1 hunger bars per spoon
carrot soup soup + onion = hot carrot and onion soup on coals # 2 bars. Different variants for different order
hot carrot and onion soup + burdock = hot vegetable soup on coals# 3 bars. 

# such a bowl is too hot to carry in hands
flint chip + yew branch = flint chip (-1) + spoon stockpile # IRL yew is used for it. Allow to stockpile them in the beginning, like 3 at once, because spoon blocking entire tile seems odd :)
spoon + hot vegetable soup on coals = spoon with hot vegetable soup + hot vegetable soup on coals (-1)
hot vegetable soup on coals (5 minutes) = cold vegetable soup on ash # 1 calories per spoon
cold vegetable soup on ash + bare hands = carried cold soup bowl # you can carry it around and drink directly from it

Such a soup should fill a grown man with all gulps, while still not wasting food by kids and elders. So maybe 6 spoons/gulps per hot soup? Cold soup would be not so fulfilling, so allow for 2 gulps (you can dring more cold soup per once than hot) for 2 bars (slightly worse than 1 ingredient soup).

# need to poach meat stew?
3 long shafts + water pouch = 3 long shafts and water pouch # maybe 3 water pouches?
3 long shafts and water pouch + rope = skin pot tripod kit
3 long pod tripod kit + pit stakes = skin pod tripod with stakes # just take stakes away

skin pot tripod + water = skin pot tripod with water

# skin pot cannot be put above fire
wooden tongs + stone = stone in wooden tongs
stone in wooden tongs + fire = hot stone in wooden tongs
hot stone in wooden tongs + skin pot tripod with water = wooden tongs + skin pot tripod with simmering water

# put here stew recipe. Should be able to fill 3 bowls with spoon

bowl + spoon = bowl with spoon
bowl with spoon + stew in skin tripod = bowl with soup # much cooler than simmering water, possible to carry away. Much more filling than vegetable soup

How to make it less tedious? Put pot above fire in the wood hanger (2 long shafts + rope) or on the stove. But for this you need bigger pot than bowl and which is not made of skin. Think about potter's wheel and cast iron pot. Such a cast iron can be useful also for fire striker I suggested already in Wider tools variety on low technology level smile

What about rotating fire pit grills? smile With meat and many vegetables, maybe some sauce on the plate and fork.

Such a cooking is sophisticated and fun (at least I suppose). Elders and kids would have purpose making gardens (a little of everything) instead of monocultural farming. For gardening it makes sense to carry soil, for farming not. Therefore my suggestion about tilling on bare ground can be abandoned smile At least, until we create plough smile Also, staying at camp would make now much more sense.

I know it is a longterm crafting reference, but for sure so enjoyable for players. And possible fun for Jason, as he seems to enjoy creating new items and creative crafting recipes smile

Reddit link

Last edited by Glassius (2018-06-06 22:36:11)

#2 2018-06-07 06:47:48

pein

Re: More cooking!

fire should last a bit longer

cooked food should be better than raw but differ from each other and maybe depend on terrain you grow

time and calories should differ on new plants

i think its better to have some carrot and corn not only berry, berry is best but people need some proper food to explore

wool backpacks please, i hate to play without pack and i hide furs and thread as a kid, cause too much competition

dont cloth any kid, leave clothing bit further, no use for a noob, pack is for explorers not farmers and mothers

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-06-07 06:58:08

YAHG

I have seen posts about rabbit hutches someday. If we could use sheep skins to make things we can make with rabbits that would be good, maybe cut em in half first?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-06-07 22:03:38

Valences42

I realize this is a tiny deviation from your well organized topic (thanks for the links!!), but I'm afraid I will forget it...

To match the concern of minmaxing eating (or accidentally starving), the idea of baby food - please consider this random thought:

I think an easy implementation of baby/elder food would be to have the bowl of mashed carrots and berries be a four use thing (like the bowl of dough), if used on a person.

#5 2018-06-07 22:51:19

Glassius

Somewhere here was an idea about baby food. But!
1. I propose to make everything like baby food, which is to fill only a few hunger bars per bite. The better the food, the more bites.
2. Bowl of mashed carrots and berries is a terrible idea for use, as berries and carrots are already overused for sheeps and composting. While it still make sense IRL, please, propose something different. Only for gameplay reasons.
3. For now, such an implementation of baby food is popcorn
4. Jason will introduce quickly more vegetables. Stay wary for new recipes from him!
5. It is suggested on Reddit here. Upvote it smile

Board footer