One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-03 13:31:38

Lotus

N/A

N/a

Last edited by Lotus (2018-12-26 06:40:39)

#2 2018-06-03 15:08:34

pein

Re: N/A

yeah seen this, i was crazy picking berries each 8 min to rewater it, started making pen but they were making babies and farm was dead
then i kidnapped few kids who didnt knew temperature, then i died running to a wolf

of course all mothers ran after me for kidnapping but then they just wait the next kid and dont do shit again

my uncle was worst, taking all bones to badland and digging them until the shovel was broken, i died after hiding other, but im happy about it, at least they run out water too, i still dont consider myself a griefer, i gave them food for like 24 minutes and kidnapping embryos was to stress them to do something, they never did, the iron somebody got, never turned into anything as i was the only one who went further than 20 tiles from farm

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-06-03 16:12:38

Morti

So, now that Iday has vented his frustration, if any of you that were a part of this family read this post and think "what else could I have done?" Here are a few tips that you can use in the future, that will depend on the size of your community and the stage that it's in tech wise.

1. You have to be brave. The map extends in all directions millions of times farther than you can travel in a single life. Somewhere out there, in ever direction, is anything you could want, in the game. Or, the resources to make it. You just have to be brave enough, and wise enough (but we'll get to that part later), to push the boundaries of what you have seen of the world. I recommend doing this after setting a home marker, which is a skewer pounded into the ground with a rock, but if you can't find a sapling to cut down with a sharp stone, to use as a skewer, you can also use a sharp stone on an existing home marker and replant it. It won't change the previous player's home marker and it will become your own. However, you don't even need to do that if you can make a good mental map of the landscape as you travel. Allow me to use an old map of the game as an example.
mBg67A3.jpg
Qc65J6N.jpg
dZ5ybCp.jpg
SRB9zp6.jpg

You can also set off on this journey taking nothing with you, and making a sharp stone, basket and gathering food along the way. If you found a nice place to balance your temperature , before setting off on this journey, and do not stop, you will get about 20 seconds per pip. I nice roaring fire on an open grassland will give you a good balance, or a nice corner of desert may be able to give you the same. So, if you have about 12 pips, which you will at about age 8, and a balanced temperature, you can move for 12*20=240, about 240 seconds, or, about 4 minutes. 4 minutes is a long time to go without eating but you have that much time to tear across the map. Just know that if you stop, your temp will change, and if you stop on an open, swamp, grassland, prairie or badland, the temp you get there will reduce the time per pip down to about 5 seconds, so if you only have 6 pips and you get a cold temp from an open grassland where you picked up a rock, you will have about 30 seconds after that before you run out of food. Probably a good time to use that sharp stone to dig up a burdock root and have it ready, or find a berry bush or wild onion you can pull out of the ground. If you find yourself near a prairie , you could also pull the seed off of a wild carrot and dig it up. The berries will restore 5 pips, the wild onion 6, the wild carrot 7 and the burdock root will give 9. If you happen upon a desert where you see cactus fruit, that will give you 10, and, best of all, it will have fruit there about 10 minutes after you've picked it. Always keep an eye out for cactus, and try to keep a mental note when you last picked each one, although , that can get a little overwhelming trying to remember when you've picked dozens of cacti at various times throughout your life.

Good thing about cacti though, they are in the desert, and the desert tiles are twice as warm (closer to the center) as all the other biomes, so, if you are traveling deep in the desert and stop to pick a cactus fruit, your temp will then drop one pip every ten seconds, instead of every 5, and since the cactus fruit gives you 10 food, if you start off on a journey from that spot, you've got at least 100 seconds to get to a warmer destination, or, find another cactus fruit.

Speaking of cactus fruit, they are a great gift to bring back home in a basket. So, and you can also get lucky and find stones and big rocks in the desert, so from there you can make a sharp stone, and find the nearest swamp to cut two reeds to make a basket, or find the nearest place where prairie and grassland meet, cut two wheat in the prairie, pull em out, set em on the ground, and bring a branch back from the grassland, use it on the wheat to separate the straw, and combine two straw to make a basket. Also, if you need adobe to make an oven or a forge back at home, straw can be used with clay to make adobe, if there aren't any tule reeds in the swamp where you got the clay.

Making a kiln for an Eve, is really important too. If you bring back 3 adobe in a basket you can use a stone on the first one to make a base to lay the other two on to make a kiln. Then, head back to the swamp, get two clay, and another adobe, use a stone on the clay balls to make bowls, toss some kindling into the kiln after using a hatchet on a branch, use a long straight shaft after putting it in a fire, to light the kindling in the kiln and then use some tongs to pick up the clay bowls and fire them in the kiln. If there aren't any tongs around, wait to light the kiln, go out and get a straight branch from a maple tree, bring it home, whittle it down into another straight shaft with a sharp stone and then, use a flint chip on it to split it into a pair of tongs. If you don't have a flint chip around, just use a sharp stone on a flint rock. You can usually find them in grasslands.

After you've fired the clay in the forge using the tongs, and the fire is still burning, toss that fourth piece of adobe onto the kiln to seal it up. After a few seconds this will create charcoal which is needed to make iron and steel, but that may just be beyond the scope of this post.

I haven't even gotten into all the reasons you want to be brave and explore rather than sitting back at home eating food, but I think you can imagine why with all the things needed just to make tools, to make a forge, to get soil and seeds for the farm... gathering resources from the wild and bringing them back home is one of the most adventurous parts of the game, especially for a child. You shouldn't shy away from it. Even if you just grew hair and only have 7 pips on a full food meter, if you balance your temperature before setting out into the wild with an empty backpack, you have up to 140 seconds of time to travel before you have to stop and eat food, and in that time, you've gained at least two more pips and can toss some food, a sharp stone, or some milkweed you've combined into a rope, and bring that back home to help make tools to start a fire, snare some rabbits, or, to build a new stone hoe if your home has a farm that needs one.

Having the will to set out on that journey, every time you realize your home could use something, is the most important step for a new player, or an old one. I know a lot of us don't brave the unknown often enough, that's one of the main reasons all our homes don't stand the test of time; just not enough brave players. But when you work on those mental map skills, it's really not so bad. You can use these skills as an Eve as well, to look for places that would make nice homes, like where desert, grassland and swamp biomes meet, and it's especially handy because you haven't made a home marker yet, so you got to have some way to navigate without that arrow.

Practice building that mental map for now, and in the future, we'll work on some other skills that can help you to not only stay alive, but provide lots of extra food and resources for your family, so they can help you do the same.

Just be brave.

Thats tip number 1.

#4 2018-06-03 23:56:58

pein

morti do you think map is NW-SE diagonal repeating pattern? cause i see that on every single map, for green and yellow at least

diagonal running has the advantage of not getting eaten by animals so often, and seeing more of the screen

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-06-04 04:08:41

Morti

pein wrote:

morti do you think map is NW-SE diagonal repeating pattern? cause i see that on every single map, for green and yellow at least

diagonal running has the advantage of not getting eaten by animals so often, and seeing more of the screen

I don't run on diagonals intentionally. I try to stick to borders unless I'm exploring a biome for other reasons; like the prairie to wake up the rabbits, deserts to find cacti and get them to start cycling through their life to produce fruit, or grassland if I am adding up the number of milkweed there in my head to decide whether or not I can get enough rope to make tools.

I just follow the borders.

Whether I am an Eve or a child born to an old family and town that I see needs something like, iron, sheep, soil or seeds. It is essential that I explore the nearest grasslands, deserts and even prairies, just so that I know where alternative food sources are.

The best part of doing this, going out an exploring early, especially as a boy, is when I find a better spot to have a home than the one I was born into. A lot of times I've started in a town on grasslands, maybe the Eve just stated there because it had lots of berries, and, because I know the value of the temp meter is greater in many ways than the value of the food meter, I am determined to find a place that will be better in the long run for the survival and maintenance of the city's food and soil supply.

If I find a good place, I will devote that entire life to it. Laying things out in the best places, like the place for the carrot farm, the forge, the oven, where the berries and wheat might go, just anything I can do in that time to create a place that, when found by the right player, is a more attractive alternative than the conditions back home. If I can I will sometimes go back and inform some members of the family that I have made an expansion, or found a better place, but... sometimes I don't like to be the one to suggest the move.

Whoever the player was that made that home there, I'm sure they would be so proud to come back to find a thriving village where they struggled to raise children living off of berries. I don't want to take that potential satisfaction away from them. But at the same time, if I just know that my place will double the life time of that family, I may just tell people and let them decide.

--

pein, I don't know about the map's generations of biomes, but if you notice those slanted borders are more common than vertical or horizontal ones, I would be willing to guess that somewhere in the code that generates the biomes, that was intentional, to reduce the monotony. Otherwise the map would look, on the largest scales, like a giant chess board of the 6 biomes. Which, of course, it doesn't look anything like today.

But if I get what you are asking; the underlying question, is you're trying to look for patterns to pick up on, those ones we feel when we get a gut instinct that we should travel in a particular direction, based on the limited information around us, so that we can find the biome and resources we need most at the moment. If that is what you're after, well, best of luck. I get those feelings too sometimes, but given just the odds that the next biome over is going to be 1 of 5, I'm almost always wrong if I every try to go with a hunch.

When I am in this, Eve mode, as an Eve or as a child, searching for nice places, I find it's much better to use these algorithms.

GDS
GSD
DGS
DSG
SDG
SGD

G: Grassland
D: Desert
S: Swamp

Having 3 of the 6 means I've already got a 1 in 2 chance of starting of starting at a desirable point in one of those algorithms, that is, if all biomes were equally distributed, which, I don't think they are, but I could be wrong. If I'm not born inside one of those three biomes, I just move until I find one, and , well, odds are good 3:2 that the next biome you find will be one of them. Then, it's just a matter of following the border of that G, D or S, until you find one of the missing two, then following that until you find the last one you're missing and, voila. A decent home... about half the time. Sometimes the swamp may not have enough ponds nearby the desert, or the grassland may be too small and not have enough milkweed, and if that is the case, you just keep moving along one of those G, D or S borders until you find a combination that is suitable enough to support a family of 10, 50 or even 100 people.

Sometimes you get really lucky and find just the perfect place, that just says everything is perfect for the greatest city ever, and sometimes there is a snake on that desert that totally catches you off guard. ;.(

But it's so much fun, to be the one in charge of that decision, and to live, and to lay the groundwork for a city, and a family, that you come back to time, after, time, for days...

... so satisfying.

Board footer