One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-03 01:54:43

JackTreehorn

Tip for building stone buildings.

Something that happened recently was I was born to a town which had a big bakery but it had been griefed by placing a stone wall on the inside of the door.
Until stone walls become destructible. I would advise against building any fully enclosed buildings out of stone or wood.
We can get a similar, more cost effective and overall nicer towns if we use stone walls as corners around the village centre (Two stone walls at the right angle).
Each corner can have the equipment suited to each profession inside.
The griefing of this type of building would be difficult as it would involved finishing the stone walls and enclosing the entire town,
This would take over a lifetime and would not go unnoticed.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2018-06-03 01:55:42)

Eve Audette

#2 2018-06-03 01:56:55

Berry_Bee

Re: Tip for building stone buildings.

Good to know! I never thought of that! Quick side question since you bring up stone walls, are there any ways to move rocks faster than by hand? I've tried putting them in a horse cart but that seems to not work. It's such slow work building those walls!

#3 2018-06-03 02:06:30

JackTreehorn

Berry_Bee wrote:

Good to know! I never thought of that! Quick side question since you bring up stone walls, are there any ways to move rocks faster than by hand? I've tried putting them in a horse cart but that seems to not work. It's such slow work building those walls!

I don't think there is a faster way unfortunately. I've had success by having a younger apprentice. You do the leg work feeding them stones, while they chisel and construct. My son and I got a lot of work done, we built a stone temple and got a large number of floor boards down. All within around thirty years in game time.

Being able to carry one large stone a little faster on the back of a cart would be a great addition.

Eve Audette

#4 2018-06-03 02:19:25

Berry_Bee

I agree! I was honestly surprised when I went thought getting everything for a cart horse only to see I couldn't put a stone in! Looks like I gotta find some hard working loyal kids.

#5 2018-06-03 03:23:02

Morti

Berry_Bee wrote:

Quick side question since you bring up stone walls, are there any ways to move rocks faster than by hand?

There are two little tricks that can speed up moving rocks about.

The easiest one, is to pick up and place down the rock, three spaces at a time. It takes a little practice, but once you get the motions down, it's refreshingly faster than just walking with the rock, or, stone pile.

PzHiziu.png

Second requires a cart. You can load 4 split rock parts into a cart and reassemble to opposite halves into a Split Big Rock, that you can then use a chisel and mallet on to make a pile of cut stones.

There is kind of a third, you can run full speed with half of a rock, run back, and grab the other half. Fairly certain that is faster than walking slowly with the pile, but, if you get the rhythm of the first trick down, running with two halves separately then reassembling them, may take a little more time.

The first is useful because it only takes a shovel to move rocks quickly, the third you need the chisel, mallet (and adze and axe for that), and the second you need all that and a saw and flint bow drill to get the wheels for the cart.

Long distances the second is probably the best, especially since you can use a horse with a cart to haul, basically, two rocks at a time.

#6 2018-06-03 06:28:27

Berry_Bee

@Morti Thank you so much for that! That's so helpful!

#7 2018-06-03 06:31:06

YAHG

If you just make nice pretty floor patterns you don't have to worry about wall grief as much.

Walls might be nice in some future meta but they are nothing but pathing annoyances..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-06-03 07:14:48

pein

filled thrash pit is final, unmovable, ungriefable, and cant be built anything on it, so you can place a filled thrash pit both sides of the door (the door is a tile), this makes hard to be blocked, as they need to build on 5 directions(two walls already near door)
you can build it on a tile of wood, looks bit weird but any wall around city can be made like pen corner and animals wont come in
i would like to see people build walls out of graves, instead of hoarding all to useful desert and making huge graveyards, also leaving empty tile next to roads, not placing right near it, and of course letting some bones decay

when it comes to griefing, they dont want to spend more time doing a prank, than you repairing it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-06-03 11:32:53

Mr.XIX

Berry_Bee wrote:

I've done quite some building and I think I could build the fastest by doing two runs;

First, I take a shovel, chisel and mallets in a cart, and start walking past all the rocks in the area.
Digging them up, and devide it once with the chisel and mallet into a split rock.

After that, I dump the tools at my building site, and start collecting the splitted rocks. It will use two spots in your cart to collect, but it still fits!
You will have to reassemble them at your building site and cut them again into cut stones.

This work is particulary easy if you cut all the rocks, and then ask somebody to collect them for you, while you build your site.

#10 2018-06-03 12:12:03

iguane

Can you explain to me the interest of the buildings? And why a bakery in a building?

Sorry for the newbie question big_smile

#11 2018-06-03 12:53:20

JackTreehorn

iguane wrote:

Can you explain to me the interest of the buildings? And why a bakery in a building?

Sorry for the newbie question big_smile

Apart from giving the town a more established feeling. Having an area that is just for an individual profession helps because you can control the clutter, organise the work area without it getting messed up. It also could be more efficient if next to water and the crops and meat needed for the product. Another good building is a storage building to keep weapons one of each seed and pies locked away for use when times get dire.

Eve Audette

Board footer