One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-01 07:36:29

pein

Low specification gaming

Not really a bug, but an issue what is annoying. there are no graphical options for lower performance.

So my laptop is broken and i play on 32 bit windows, 2gb ram, instead of my i5 processor 8 gb ram and i feel myself as a noob, i just couldnt play, i was running around eating, the game was kinda slow motion, as a kid i had to eat every second action, making a snare took ages, getting a rabbit a few years. I kinda understand now why people die near farm, if this pairs with a slight lag, game is so unforgiving that you can die too easy. Would be great if hunger bar would be decaying slower, cause it punishes bad specifications.
I died to  a snake which was crossing a tile i been second ago, and felt so bad generally, i just quit afterwards. Hunger rate is too bad at the moment and even if players know the means of staying alive, lag and slow motion can kill them easily.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-06-01 10:14:11

FounderOne

Re: Low specification gaming

Idk maybe it's a fps problem. I also had several times after the updates a slower or faster game. I changed in all those fps and v sync files some things

My computer is good, but still I wasn't able to play like this. Maybe it's worth a try?

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#3 2018-06-01 17:45:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The game is highly optimized and does run on some pretty old computers.

However, the one place it is a bit hungry is in the pixel fill department.  There are some large sprites on the screen, especially if you are walking in a dense forest, and drawing those involves filling a lot of pixels.  Some graphics cards don't have the fill rate to support this.

There's no possible "low quality" mode here, except to just not draw everything that needs to be drawn.  That would be weird.  The other thing that I could do is just turn off the ground tiles, because they chew up quite a bit of pixel fill.  That would also be weird.

If you find yourself walking slowly, what you are experiencing is a mismatch between the measured framerate (on a blank loading screen with nothing drawn) and the actual game framerate when there are lots of sprites being drawn.  Your vsync is 60fps, but your card can't fill pixels fast enough, so your game is probably running at 30 fps or even slower.

What you should do in this case is mess around in the settings folder.  Disable the one that tells it to count on vsync, and then set the target frame rate to whatever you want.  Try 30, 25, 20, or whatever you need it to be to get "normal" walking speed in game, which is 3.75 tiles per second as a full grown adult.

It's perfectly playable at 30fps.

But if it thinks it's running at 60fps and is actually running at 30fps, then you will walk at half speed.

As for why the game doesn't detect this automatically, it's complicated.  Some people experience brief slow-down in complicated scenes or simply because something else is happening on their computer.  I don't want to detect that and peg them at 30fps after that.  If their frame rate recovers, they will suddenly see themselves walking at 2x speed, which is very troubling.  Even if I detect the FPS recovery, it takes a few seconds to detect (you can't measure FPS without some time passing), and they will see crazy speed-up for a few seconds, which is horrible.  Slowdown is WAY better than speed up.  Speed up is crazy and totally out of control for the player.

So I measure the max frame rate at startup (when nothing is drawn), which ensures that the player will NEVER experience speed-up.  They may experience slow down if their FPS dips from that max.

If they KNOW they want a lower FPS in general, they can set that manually.  That sets a hard cap that will never be exceeded (so again, no speed-up possible).

For the vast majority of people, the game runs at 60 all the time.  Thus, I don't think this override needs to be a very accessible setting.

#4 2018-11-30 20:10:25

Faro

Hey so just wanted to report that i have this problem with slow motion on a pretty good computer.
Just my GPU is a bit old (Radeon HD7870)
It detects that my monitor runs with 144fps but in big cities my gpu cant maintain 144 i think.. so i slow down...
Is there not a better way? Maybe force fps on 30 or 60 via ingame settings option? I will check the setting file and figure it out.
But yea just wanted to let you know that with this technique you bring bad performance feeling even to good computer users that actually shoot over the top with the fps.

Last edited by Faro (2018-11-30 20:13:44)

Board footer