One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-27 19:27:28

Intangir

Tweaks to hinder murderers

Quick context.. i spawned into a town littered with dead bodies and apparently everyone died
i managed to pop out a zillion kids and get life started again in the town.. only to ofcourse see my own daughter grab a knife and murder the entire town again...

Its way to easy for 1 asshole to murder the entire town, here are some ideas to deter them

1. When they stab a player, the knife stays behind in their victim

2. make it so you can throw stones at bloody murderers to disarm their weapon (or at least bash them, with stones or large shafts), also don't allow them to repick it up while slow moving

3. make it so you can just manually disarm them without any tools even maybe

basically i don't think they should be able to go on a murderous rampage where everyone else is powerless to stop them without hard to get tools

its having a bad impact on the whole community, hurting peoples trust, hurting peoples enjoyment of the game..

#2 2018-05-27 19:40:26

YAHG

Re: Tweaks to hinder murderers

If you could just kill them back in your death stagger that would be plenty.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-27 20:16:08

Potjeh

Knives and arrows should break when used for murder.

#4 2018-05-27 20:19:10

Lotus

Arrows maybe, but knives have an abundance of uses. The disarming concept would be extremely helpful; some murders are necessary to prevent griefers or trolls from continuing their work.

#5 2018-05-27 21:05:31

happynova

I really like the idea of the knife staying behind in the victim.  Although I suppose it'd just mean more people murdering with bows.

#6 2018-05-27 21:19:10

Joriom
Website

Oh god, not this again. How many times are we going to start the same topic again, and again and again?

#7 2018-05-27 21:29:51

Glassius

Until Jason will make shovels, hoes and rocks also weapons smile, as I suggested. It is not a matter of game balance. But about mechanic constraints, as having so much tools deadly IRL you are helpless.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1412

#8 2018-05-27 21:53:29

Eclipciz

Fight back, it’s not that hard. Being murdered is an issue in an environment where crafting a knife only takes almost 10 minutes

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#9 2018-05-27 22:11:36

Glassius

Eclipciz wrote:

crafting a knife only takes almost 10 minutes

Yeah, craft a knife, when you have plenty of axes, hoes, shafts and rocks nearby smile Welcome to rage quitting smile

#10 2018-05-27 22:12:37

Eclipciz

Glassius wrote:
Eclipciz wrote:

crafting a knife only takes almost 10 minutes

Yeah, craft a knife, when you have plenty of axes, hoes, shafts and rocks nearby smile Welcome to rage quitting smile

I agree, rocks should be able to hurt people, axes should be able to kill people, hooes if they are metal should be able to kill people.

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#11 2018-05-27 23:27:26

Joriom
Website

Carrots should be able to kill people.
Vote Joriom 2018

#12 2018-05-28 07:38:10

Turnipseed

Stoning people should be a thing... a very low tech way to kill someone requiring more than one person to commit the act...

Very historically accurate!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#13 2018-05-28 08:07:52

YAHG

Turnipseed wrote:

Stoning people should be a thing... a very low tech way to kill someone requiring more than one person to commit the act...

Very historically accurate!

Stoning people should increase hunger..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-05-28 11:28:32

TrustyWay

Few last times I started to kill people when I was showing the game to my friend, I got stabbed back right back, not even mad. People learned how to react way more quickly than before.

People complaining about murderers don't knoe how to play

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-28 11:28:50)

#15 2018-05-28 18:48:04

Intangir

i think stoning should just disarm slow murderers, then you get the knife to kill them

this way slow murderers have a risk. but it doesn't introduce a new way to kill everyone else

also you can get the knife away, determine if the killing was actually justified or not, and possibly not kill them too

#16 2018-05-28 19:13:44

TrustyWay

Intangir wrote:

i think stoning should just disarm slow murderers, then you get the knife to kill them

this way slow murderers have a risk. but it doesn't introduce a new way to kill everyone else

also you can get the knife away, determine if the killing was actually justified or not, and possibly not kill them too

They already have the risk to be killed at any moments.

And taking weapons from murderer is plain stupid, have you ever seen what happen when two guys fight in town ? everybody start to kill each others when someboey drops the knife, if one can survive he will come back kill people. The knife has already recieve 5 nerfs. Killing is part of the game, it isn't meant to disepear.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-28 19:15:38)

#17 2018-06-02 02:36:26

sc0rp

TrustyWay wrote:

As you seem to be very experienced with killing people in OHOL, could I ask you to share some knowledge? You definitely encountered effective opposition.  Could you tell me what's proper defense in following scenario:

Killer is born into mine settlement as child, eats my food, uses my resources or gathers enough to make a bow and arrows, lures in a bear, and shoots fleeing people in the back. It's early settlement. If I start making bows and arrows for self defence instead of other usefull tools, I most likely starve before he shows up.

#18 2018-06-02 03:49:33

TrustyWay

sc0rp wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

As you seem to be very experienced with killing people in OHOL, could I ask you to share some knowledge? You definitely encountered effective opposition.  Could you tell me what's proper defense in following scenario:

Killer is born into mine settlement as child, eats my food, uses my resources or gathers enough to make a bow and arrows, lures in a bear, and shoots fleeing people in the back. It's early settlement. If I start making bows and arrows for self defence instead of other usefull tools, I most likely starve before he shows up.

Since milkweed has been nerf it is was harder to find them in wild.

You should rather focus on making only a bow or arrow, depend of the situation you want to get into. You will hide it, you better use your time in food making. But be aware, when murderer shows up, try to dodge, if he fails, try to take the arrow and get the bow. If your place is full of item you can dodge there, arrow will desapear, follow the murderer with bowl of popcorn and try to take his bow and then return take the arrow.

Or you just can flee, which is a gamble that depends of your suvival skills.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-02 03:51:31)

#19 2018-06-02 04:16:02

sc0rp

TrustyWay wrote:

Since milkweed has been nerf it is was harder to find them in wild.

You should rather focus on making only a bow or arrow, depend of the situation you want to get into. You will hide it, you better use your time in food making. But be aware, when murderer shows up, try to dodge, if he fails, try to take the arrow and get the bow. If your place is full of item you can dodge there, arrow will desapear, follow the murderer with bowl of popcorn and try to take his bow and then return take the arrow.

Or you just can flee, which is a gamble that depends of your suvival skills.

Thank you very much. That's really helpful.  I'll try, but I still doubt that I'll be able to somehow squeze in bow and arrow and not starve myself or kids.

Maybe you can help me also with other situation, that happend today:
Somebody randomly starved in corn family (maybe a lag or smth).  Had knife in backpack.  Somebody else picked up the knife and a started to slaughter people.  I was 47, no knife, no bow.  I've run away, but I had no hope finding enough milkweed close to village (7th gen) to make arrow and a bow.  I had no home marker, that made foraging even more difficult.  Lost hope?

#20 2018-06-02 11:13:33

TrustyWay

Having no back up weapon is hard. If he is the only one armed you're pretty much screwed. You rather flee, or dodge the guy until he drops he knife by mistake which is unlikely to happen.

Knife is super powerful, I always make a backpack and knife when I can, even when it is peaceful, so I don't have to deal with the making when there is a griefer.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-02 11:15:59)

#21 2018-06-02 12:07:41

sc0rp

TrustyWay wrote:

Having no back up weapon is hard. If he is the only one armed you're pretty much screwed. You rather flee, or dodge the guy until he drops he knife by mistake which is unlikely to happen.

Knife is super powerful, I always make a backpack and knife when I can, even when it is peaceful, so I don't have to deal with the making when there is a griefer.

Thanks. So it needs much more pre-planning. Everybody cannot just start from making backpack and knife - the village will starve.  And I'm not sure that having 3-5 knifes around all the time won't cause more problems than it solves.  But thanks for suggestions.

What you do with the knife near end of life? You hide it or pass it to somebody? And if you pass, then how do you choose to whom, to avoid trouble?

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-02 12:08:50)

#22 2018-06-02 12:18:58

TrustyWay

I choose the most working and dedicated child, all people having interest on me just want to profite of me.   People doing not enough and following you are the ones that wait for you to die, stab them if you are suspicious.

If 7/8 babies survive you will have more chance to not get the griefer that if you keep all babies.

The best way go prevent murder is to equip everyone with backpack and knife. Players get better everyday and when they can do something they can react fast enough

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-02 12:20:17)

#23 2018-06-02 12:42:03

sc0rp

TrustyWay wrote:

I choose the most working and dedicated child, all people having interest on me just want to profite of me.   People doing not enough and following you are the ones that wait for you to die, stab them if you are suspicious.

If 7/8 babies survive you will have more chance to not get the griefer that if you keep all babies.

The best way go prevent murder is to equip everyone with backpack and knife. Players get better everyday and when they can do something they can react fast enough

Thank you very much.  I'm gonna try this.  However advocating "knifes for everybody" may face some serious opposition smile

#24 2018-06-02 19:49:53

Lotus

Murderer having a different coloured chat bubble while slowed down, similar to red of victim, maybe?

Inverted, white text black background would draw some attention. This could last for up to a minute and would help identify the murderer.

#25 2018-06-02 22:59:28

Intangir

i didn't mean make the weapon disappear, i meant make it DROP

to the ground, doesn't cease to exist, just disarms the murderer

Board footer