One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-15 22:10:09

GreenTeaCat

Anyone else get super attached to your kids as an Eve?

Am I the only one who gets really attached to my kids when I'm an Eve? It really pains me when they die because I put so much effort into keeping them alive. It's even worse if I only have a few and they all die. It makes me so sad and makes me wish I did more to protect them lmao.

This game may not be good for my emotional health. XD

#2 2018-05-15 22:45:16

YAHG

Re: Anyone else get super attached to your kids as an Eve?

So yeah I read the title wrong. I thought your post was gonna be WAY creepier.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-15 23:34:56

pein

i kinda got used to it, even kidnap kids to cold biome, if they dont run back, you save 3 minutes of your life. if they do at least you know they are not that dumb. i honestly became selective at it, and maybe name them and drop to other girl, and i dont really care about if they survive. im not really into relations, more into helping people who seem experienced. all my kids die near food in 2-3 minutes which is less than i spend time on them. nobody listens to me anyway, so i can make the hard work and they steal all stuff i intended to use.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-05-15 23:56:59

Trick

GreenTeaCat wrote:

Am I the only one who gets really attached to my kids when I'm an Eve? It really pains me when they die because I put so much effort into keeping them alive. It's even worse if I only have a few and they all die. It makes me so sad and makes me wish I did more to protect them lmao.

This game may not be good for my emotional health. XD

I get super attached to my 'family', too.  My kids, my mother, any helpful cousins/aunts/uncles/etc.

I played a game last night where I was born as a boy to an Eve.  She was grinding to get things done, so the moment I was old enough to fend for myself I jumped out of her arms and ran off to get work done and be helpful.  I never saw her again (though, I found a pile of bones quite a while later).  I spent the next 40 minutes playing by myself, and it was super sad.  I kept calling for her.  On the bright side, I learned how to make fire, a bow and arrow, kill a duck, and cook it.  I was super proud... too bad my mother wasn't around to witness it.

#5 2018-05-16 01:50:24

Valences42

I think it depends on my current emotional allowance level?

But yeah, I get really sad sometimes when I'm the lone surviving son who never seems to get enough food for the camp...

There was a recent playthrough where my Eve mother didn't really tell me where the water was, but just said it was an unsafe distance away...

I didn't realize it was a few paces to the west.  Literally wandered around with the last carrot and only water pouch while my mom just kinda - stood there?

came back to her saying goodbye.

I starved my mother.

Jeez.  Gosh mom, I'm sorry!!  I feel like a jerk.

#6 2018-05-16 03:01:57

Siolfor the Jackal

I get pretty attached to most of my kids, always a tearful goodbye or upsetting when I see one die. The more I care about my children, the harder some of them seem to work and often they come by to see how I am doing and that's nice.

pein wrote:

i dont really care about if they survive. im not really into relations, more into helping people who seem experienced.

Your whole post really, but that part stood out to me. Helping experienced players doesn't reallu help anyone... because they aren't the one in need of help... In other posts I've seen you whinge about people not working or contributing, but to be fair, players like you may be contributing to the lack of experienced players.

#7 2018-05-16 05:01:16

pein

Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

I get pretty attached to most of my kids, always a tearful goodbye or upsetting when I see one die. The more I care about my children, the harder some of them seem to work and often they come by to see how I am doing and that's nice.

Your whole post really, but that part stood out to me. Helping experienced players doesn't really help anyone... because they aren't the one in need of help... In other posts I've seen you whinge about people not working or contributing, but to be fair, players like you may be contributing to the lack of experienced players.

knew it before but now im certain with family tree
some people cant be helped
some people think they are good, but not on a level good that they go 4 screens away and get what we need
when im a mother and my run is ruined by ten kids who die near the food its a waste of my time. if you are not able to eat on your own, you wont learn from me how to build a pen under 15 minutes.

just some numbers on my recent run:
around 30 kids born after and died before me. I picked up on the towns setup, and repaired 2 errors which in long term was useful. I seen my sis having 4 kids, and i choose the smartest, together we built more than the rest of the players combined. Call it whatever you want but this made life much easier for generations to come. He was good, he knew the temperature bonus, he found something of value, he knew the steps we need to make, but he wouldnt do it alone or much slower.
There are 3 steps to make a city: founding in a good place or moving/ getting tools done /getting sheep done
The rest can be done slowly in many generations but this got time limit, branches, soil runs out.

As a mother: if you got hair and i leave you near the food, pick one and do what i say, "eat this berry and come back in five minutes to marker" if someone cant do this, essentially kills all other kids i got.
"pick all out exept one tile" this is pretty easy, still some fck up
"farm until you get bigger" kid goes out with pouches and dies at age 6

Im the grumpy old man, who is fully geared with tools of hardest recipes, shouting what we currently need, people barely listen. they do what they want, make pies when nobody needs it, water a farm when we are 6 people in total and they leave before picking it out, seeing there is no space to put that.

one time i tried teach a kid basics, like taking food out of backpack, putting in basket, even eating at first. she died than came back as a boy. i liked its enthusiasm but in meantime the guy who was working hard teared all his hair out i guess, cause we had no carrot so i teached him how to put berries in a basket and move it. Was totally useless thing, took me ten minutes, and only reason i had the time as no kids were born. Jason essentially nerfed biomes to 15% heat from around 25% which makes people starve much faster. Just check uncle gus mod, he made a modification on baby spawning that feeding a kid, restarts your timer so you dont spawn 10 kids.

I do teach people and they seem to live longer when they got a purpose, but dont ask me to stand near somebody to teach how to eat. I answer the questions asked, and i got a solid task list which stabilizes the city.

yes, its lazyness, and bad intentions, i cant stand. some of them know well the game enough to farm but is too boring for them, so they just pick some carrots and go around to scavenge what they can.

i do think you can reborn a few times, and you can end up as only kid of someone with a small carrot farm near water, you can learn enough to maintain it. or eves kid, to survive on bushes and get basic a rope.

If you are unable to manage your hunger and temperature bar, i cant help you and you essentially block me from doing advancements which would keep a kid alive who can at least knows how to eat.

If you think moving a farm to a good location rather than teaching a kid is so bad, than think it over. its 7-8 times more effective in desert than in grassland. meaning every action they took is easier. yes you can teach a kid by abandoning 3-4 others. You can raise ten and drop them at age 4 and 3 might survive, but generally they just eat food from others.

As for older guys i like to help, they are just slow, at least i know they can eat.

Everybody plays on server one and around 50 players are online, around 10 could make a chill life, 7 ? can even spawn back to same spot, people really should use different servers to spread the population , then it would be chill to teach kids, having food.

but if everyone is soooo good at teaching how come no one ever tells kids to get firewood or clay? but we got more farmers than carrot plots, and 5 pie makers, road makers, builders, before we got a pen or tools or a decent milkweed farm.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-05-16 05:06:38

Baker

I try not to get too attached to kids, especially if I'm an Eve. The sad truth is that most of the kids end up dying or suiciding, I do everything I can do to keep them alive but even they often inexplicably die. Even in towns most of kids somehow die or become burdens leeching off supplies.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#9 2018-05-16 05:28:09

Siolfor the Jackal

@pein
That's exactly what I have been saying, you are so focused on the whole that you neglect inexperienced players, then get annoyed or frustrated at them for not knowing basic shit. You need more patience, and more long term thinking. If we start caring more for inexperienced players and teaching them even the most basic and banal things, then the average skill increases for everyone and you are less likely to have a "useless" baby. In a way, you yourself are being a bit lazy in a way by relying on other players to teach these new players for you so you don't have to. I know that's a stretch, but since that is a large part of the game, I think it's applicable.
You seem to pat yourself on the back a lot for how much you know and how easy to can do X or Y too... In the end, nothing you do will matter if you don't leave anyone with the skills to keep it going. Because once you are gone, you will have to rely on those you left behind to carry on, and if you didn't bother with them because they aren't pro enough, then that village will probably die out sooner than later.

#10 2018-05-16 06:08:49

pein

Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

@pein
That's exactly what I have been saying, you are so focused on the whole that you neglect inexperienced players, then get annoyed or frustrated at them for not knowing basic shit. You need more patience, and more long term thinking. If we start caring more for inexperienced players and teaching them even the most basic and banal things, then the average skill increases for everyone and you are less likely to have a "useless" baby. In a way, you yourself are being a bit lazy in a way by relying on other players to teach these new players for you so you don't have to. I know that's a stretch, but since that is a large part of the game, I think it's applicable.
You seem to pat yourself on the back a lot for how much you know and how easy to can do X or Y too... In the end, nothing you do will matter if you don't leave anyone with the skills to keep it going. Because once you are gone, you will have to rely on those you left behind to carry on, and if you didn't bother with them because they aren't pro enough, then that village will probably die out sooner than later.

yepp, thats right
resource management, im good at it
learn the basic shit from others
you cant be qualified in a rally when you dont even got a license

the average skill wont increase much as players are anonym assholes, who start stabbing people without knowing how to craft a knife

lets say this: if im once a day an eve or once a day i teach a kid one thing, i wont end up the next day having little kids getting me firewood, because no one else will do, its a tedious thing to have kids twice same day

oh i been reborn to same cities quite often and i restart it if i place some stuff far enough that noobs dont mess it up

jason made it that nothing you can do will matter, you wont get back in time, some people can fix in the future, as i leave things behind quite self explanatory, in the end we are less than 100 who born in a generation and advance things further, making towns where kids can leach all food they want no one bats an eye, setting up things for others that only farm carrots for hours not making a single new thing

you cant teach kids to smith in game
i had a comprehensive guide on forus for  sheep pen, where i covered 99% of things, few days later i seen it ingame my own design idea in real, yesterday we even did it combo with no questions asked, we captured a penguin we made it so fast and pretty big. so i rather influence people who want to create advanced things fast, than teaching people to eat. you got two buttons, there aint too many combinations.

#11 2018-05-16 06:59:05

Siolfor the Jackal

*facepalm* Still thinking so short sighted. Progress takes time, not going to see it the next day. And being reborn to a place and restarting your work, that isn't fixing the problem, that's just a band-aid solution.

Anyway, I don't agree. I was taught to smith in-game by a very patient man, it was great and I am very thankful for it. He showed me how to make a bellows, how to make charcoal and then how to smelt iron and how to make a crucible and make tools. All from scratch, I helped him gather the basic materials we'd need as we already had a kiln. So you very much can teach kids to smith in-game.
I'm not interested in using my non-playing time to study recipes and strategies, I barely have the time to play as it is. Learning in-game is more intuitive than reading about it(though it could still probably be more intuitive), especially if you're lucky enough to have someone willing to teach you. I'd say almost 99% of what I know, I learnt in-game from strangers or from messing around myself. I take lessons I learnt from my mothers and aunts and uncles and build upon that, but only because they took the time to teach me how to survive. I still remember the Eves that taught me to look for berries and other wild foods, and how important it is to mentally map them out for emergencies.

Board footer