One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-15 15:41:52

Roolstar

Pie Engine Design

Below is the design for a Pie Engine.

It is meant to be the only food source for a colony, designed to be compact, sustainable, and (almost) self sufficient. (NO CARROT FARMS smile)
It can be run by 2 or even 1 single player.
It is meant to fulfill the needs of 6 to 8 players total (maybe even more, some testing would be required)
It can easily produce more with slight adjustments (more carrot plots, more sheep, more wheat...)
It is a pit stop for the rest of the colonists where they drop an empty plate, take a fresh pie, and be on their way to do their business.
It can also be a "school" teaching new players berry/wheat/carrot farming, sheep growing, pie making and baking, and even fire making, all in one organized place.
It is not designed to be grief proof.
Its full size is 10x11 (could be 10x8 or even 9x8 but I like to leave a bit of space)

Pie Engine Excel Blueprint

How to use:
This engine is made to bake 12 pies at a time, once uncooked pies fill the 4 baskets around the oven.

1 Carrot plot is enough for this task:
- 3 Carrots to feed 3 sheep producing 12 meat
- 1 Carrot to add to compost
- 1 Carrot left to seed (lol gets me every time) <= Replants the plot and removes the need for a Hoe!

The compost pile would remake the soil wasted by:
- 3 Wheat for 3 Flour producing 12 pie crusts
- 1 Carrot plot

The 3 wheat will also provide:
- 2 Straw for 1 Basket
- 1 Straw for compost
(The 4th wheat plot is for seeds and is not meant to be harvested)

How to run the sheep pen:
1- Feed lamb
2- Adult sheep + Dung
3- Wait for lamb
4- Feed new lamb
5- Shear and kill adult (or kill then skin for hide depending on need)
6- Back to step (2-)

Note: the engine can be paused if no more pies are needed straight away by not feeding the new lamb, then restarting at (2-) when needed,
And the Basket inside the Pen is meant to transport sheep bones somewhere south after slaughter.

This engine will produce: (for every 12 mutton pies)
- 1 Dung for compost
- 2 Dung extra for other stuff (or if too much dung, you can keep only 2 cells empty inside pen for Sheep and Lamb, so that no more Dung is produced)
- 3 wool (or sheep skins)
- 1 basket

Extra:
- More wells can be added
- Berries and wheat farms can be extended with extra dung
- East of pen is meant to be for clothing/gear/dyeing (maybe also milkweed farm)
- West of berries can be baby raising station providing children with berries early on (farm should be extended)
- Forge may be somewhere close to Oven to share fire if possible (fire station could be by the forge)
- The extra dung can make more soil making it possible to create satellite starting colonies around the big city for those who'd like that mode of play.

And MOST importantly, it's by far more fun to run than the tedious carrot farm and is therefore more likely to be manned!

And for those who hate excel blueprints, here's an in-game screenshot of that design (Fire station kept by the forge to the North-East)

Note that I kept the sheep sheared cause I don't want dead lambs everywhere, and I had 1 extra carrot seed available to feed the sheep and start the engine again.

Pie Engine In-Game Screenshot

I am open to suggestions and tweaks to the design; blind spots are always a possibility.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-15 16:07:54)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#2 2018-05-15 16:34:38

Lily

Re: Pie Engine Design

Since you have the extra space, seems like you should just make an extra carrot plot solely for seeds. Also since seeds take a lot longer, if you can grow a lot more carrots if you pick them all and replant. Instead of four carrots every 9 minutes, you get 5 carrots every 2 and you are using the same amount of soil.

You can plant more bushes and make more wells and that may increase the pie production. Or you can just feed the extra carrots to the elderly and young, so they are not wasting pies.

#3 2018-05-15 16:38:15

Roolstar

Lily wrote:

Since you have the extra space, seems like you should just make an extra carrot plot solely for seeds. Also since seeds take a lot longer, if you can grow a lot more carrots if you pick them all and replant. Instead of four carrots every 9 minutes, you get 5 carrots every 2 and you are using the same amount of soil.

You can plant more bushes and make more wells and that may increase the pie production. Or you can just feed the extra carrots to the elderly and young, so they are not wasting pies.

Yes if seeds take too long, 2 or 3 carrot plots can be planted and rotating between them the same way as with 1 plot would be ideal.

I'd rather never feed people carrots, a big berry farm and more wells would feed the young and old without the hassle of carrots.

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#4 2018-05-15 16:49:09

YAHG

I think it looks amazing..

Obvious you know from the screen shot that you can make WAY
more than 12 pies, especially with helpers <3.

One thing I really like is the boxes..
I also like how it outputs waste wool so the ever needy other villagers
can get clothes without fucking up your pie factory smile

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-05-15 16:59:19

Lily

I don't see how it is a hassle if you are making the carrots anyway. Bushes seems like a far larger hassle because they take forever to produce anything. A plot of carrot gives you five carrot in two minutes, a bush gives six berries per hour. You going to plant like ten extra bushes because you don't want to maintain a single plot of carrots? You only got 12 bushes in the picture, so you would be nearly doubling the amount of bushes to avoid just having a second plot of carrots and throwing the extra to the children now and then.

#6 2018-05-15 17:07:49

Left4twenty

Finally I see an example of using a box as a wall that you can pass items through

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#7 2018-05-15 18:35:07

YAHG

Left4twenty wrote:

Finally I see an example of using a box as a wall that you can pass items through

Yeah it is real perdy smile.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#8 2018-05-15 20:19:51

pein

to easy to grief, if you really want a horse fence, dont use as blocking fence, also those can be double griefed once somebody puts it on your boxes, and drags them out, can work with the new chest boxes
the bottom can be  kilns and forges
too many entrances, and fixed 3x3 is kinda small later on

what about making two fences? once is full of dung, which is 7-8, you rope a lamb and take to other side, then make the wheat farm in that one so the dung doesnt need to be carried far, as for the oven, ovens can form a wall as well, but you cant reach from all directions
but your design inspired me on other one:
x63lBJt.png
lines fences, rectangles boxes, yellow circle is home marker/filled thrash pit, grey circle wells
just use diagonal fences on bottom and top, and the zone in middle is enough space for pie making, you also get 6 boxes

HHYRzwc.png
this way you can make that even the middle is a fence, so the sheep entering cant go out, so if you ever want to make carts from boxes, you can, one entrance can be bad, if someone kills something in the corner, cant go out, so two is needed, i find four entrances too much, also the filled pit is final, like a stone wall
eventually you can surround all with wells, in this case i dont recommend using filled thrash pits, only home markers on sides, this way you extend from 3x3 to 4x5

the extra brown dots in top is there so if sheep gets into middle zone, wont go out, the third is for own protection, they cant lock you in with sheep bone if you got one entrance they can block it, that pit needs 4 bones at least to be blocked

of course all those wells can be natural blocking objects like cactus, ponds, bottom ones should be kilns, 5x3 room for pie making, also no animals can enter there, to surround all needs like 40 wells, this case i would recommend side or top entrances

getting stuff inside is easier with horse, but you dont even got to tie to a fence cause cant get out

berry bushes should always be further, new people just eat it, they dont care about compost, and thats the only way someone can restart a city

Last edited by pein (2018-05-15 20:23:02)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-05-15 20:31:42

pein

Lily wrote:

I don't see how it is a hassle if you are making the carrots anyway. Bushes seems like a far larger hassle because they take forever to produce anything. A plot of carrot gives you five carrot in two minutes, a bush gives six berries per hour. You going to plant like ten extra bushes because you don't want to maintain a single plot of carrots? You only got 12 bushes in the picture, so you would be nearly doubling the amount of bushes to avoid just having a second plot of carrots and throwing the extra to the children now and then.

you produce 5 carrots in 2+2 minutes, and one seed row in 9 which takes a soil, plus all the work which almost takes one carrot by the time you make it. 200 carrots or equivalent per lifetime for one person if no desert farm  even a carrot pie is like 4 carrots worth
berry is not for food, its for sheep and compost, obviously this setup needs to be further from carrot farm where kids, noobs and elders stay

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-05-16 04:53:06

Lily

pein wrote:

what about making two fences? once is full of dung, which is 7-8, you rope a lamb and take to other side, then make the wheat farm in that one so the dung doesnt need to be carried far, as for the oven, ovens can form a wall as well, but you cant reach from all directions

While I do like that, it seems like the reason for having two areas is going to fade with future generations, and so you are most certainly just going to end up with a wheat field and a sheep pen, and people wont swap back and forth.

#11 2018-05-16 05:28:52

Alleria

pein wrote:

berry is not for food, its for sheep and compost, obviously this setup needs to be further from carrot farm where kids, noobs and elders stay

Berry IS for food. The current meta is to use as few carrots as possible. Also, 200 carrots for a life is WAY off. 30(good players)-100(bad players) is more like it.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-16 05:30:20)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#12 2018-05-16 05:36:21

pein

Lily wrote:
pein wrote:

While I do like that, it seems like the reason for having two areas is going to fade with future generations, and so you are most certainly just going to end up with a wheat field and a sheep pen, and people wont swap back and forth.

they cant if dont process the dung, but probably will be two pens later, wheat outside. 5*5 takes too much time but i guess like 3*5 once manageable, and if i make the pen diagonally above an extra kiln i make, i can pull off alone this design, the three ropes for boxes gonna be an issue

also as i think about it, the left one should be a firewood box too so the third filled pit wont bother smiths

luckily most towns are built that way, that nothing above the kilns so i can put some more sideways and make the pen, i can replace boxes with double pit wall then just fill it later, make it wider, no entrance on outer side. and 5x5 around oven too, then start right side and finish other life

i try to pull off and make ingame screenshots

#13 2018-05-16 10:49:59

Roolstar

Alleria wrote:
pein wrote:

Berry IS for food. The current meta is to use as few carrots as possible. Also, 200 carrots for a life is WAY off. 30(good players)-100(bad players) is more like it.

Every cycle producing 12 mutton pies will give us 2 extra dung.
Each extra dung => 3 new berry bushes + 1 plot to replace used wheat

This means we can expand the berry farm as much as we need easily
Maybe even set up a separate farm away from the engine for kids and elders to consume
Just have to build enough wells for them as we expand (1 shallow well for each 6 plots is more than enough)

I find that carrots are the most wasteful food source in terms of soil, water, space, workforce, and even food value.
And being almost impossible to manage by 1 single player (and too tedious to spend a whole life on), this makes it even more wasteful.
Plus it would require soil frequently, so it would interfere with the Engine unless a separate wheat+berry farm are added close to it, and dung trips are regularly made by the Farmers, who now have to manage compost making as well (the reason why carrot farms break down sooner or later even if good players are working them)

The pie engine is designed for good players running the colony, if we add new players and griefers to the mix, no design will be even close to good enough.

I imagined this engine at the core of colonies like the one designed to break generation records with players coordination and some minimum planning ahead of time (Like the one Alleria was part of recently for example)

But the fact that the only "external" things it would require are Kindle and a new Shovel and Shears from time to time, makes it as efficient as it can possibly be at the current state of the game and can be part of regular colonies on the public servers (+ The unneeded Hoe makes it even better)

And of course having 3 or 4 plots of carrots, utilized in the same manner as the 1 plot detailed in OP, as well as the possibility of growing 2 sheep at a time, would make it run constantly at full speed if needed. A bigger berry farm would be need of course.

Anti-griefing measures:
We can make this whole design grief proof, if we build the whole thing inside a Stone Room with a couple of doors with keys protected by some filled trash pits to make it harder to block; Engineers would regularly put new pies outside and get empty plates inside, then lock the doors behind them (some kindle trips would be needed as well unless we have about 4-6 of trees inside the room).
And if a griefer manages to slip inside while the door is open, they find themselves trapped in a room with at least 2 engineers armed with Knives: WELCOME TO THE DEATH ARENA smile <= this would actually be like a breath of fresh air for engineers who get to play a mini-game to break the routine of their job.
But i don't focus a lot on anti-griefing methods, just not fun to me.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-16 10:59:50)

#14 2018-05-16 18:16:15

Lily

While it can be hard to stop a griefer, especially a motivated one, I think it is important to try and make things as newbie proof as possible. Because newbies will definitely be born in the town and will have to work with it. You can kill griefers but if you kill all the new people the city will not survive due to too low of a population.

You can pretty much assume some people will wander by and eat some of berries off the bushes, and there is a high chance the wells may go dry. So once you got the basic set up going, it definitely helps to plant a ton of extra bushes, and make a ton of extra wells.

#15 2018-05-17 07:19:45

Alleria

pein, your calc is based off staying in the ice biome your whole life. Spending your whole life in a non-desert biome costs 720 calories, while spending whole life in hot part of the desert but naked costs about 360 calories. Standing in the goldilocks zone your whole life costs about 170 calories. This is why a good player should be able to get away with only costing about 250 calories or so - which I typically achieve depending on my role and the environment. Therefore, since carrots are worth 7 calories, a good player costs about 30-40 carrots. Your mum feeds you until you're about 2, and you should consider suicide at 57. Those numbers are a combination of mine and cross referenced with a post from a couple months ago.

I think the setup needs a bigger sheep farm. 3x3 is pretty sad and you'll be spending too much time waiting for babies IMO - although it COULD work well with the setup, idk.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#16 2018-05-17 15:51:11

pein

few months ago, normal biomes were around 25% now around 10-15% and ice is full cold

#17 2018-05-17 16:59:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

These diagrams remind me of the board game Agricola.

Very cool!

#18 2018-05-18 02:48:51

YAHG

If I am running about and I see a desert I will stop a second to pick up the
better temp. Saves a TON of food over your whole life.

Then the server resets and my whole fam goes barren sad

Board footer