One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-09 01:39:54

Uncle Gus

Birth overhaul mod, testing required

Hey all, I've got a few changes to test out on my server (unclegus.cloudapp.net).

1. Proximity to adult males increases the chances of having a baby
At this stage it is simply a probability scalar. It is still possible to have a baby without a male around (which is obviously necessary for Eves) and there is no male lineage tracking. That last one is going to be HARD. If this change is any good and I do implement male lineage, incest is going to be RAMPANT. I think I'll just have "FATHER" over-ride any other relationship and map it all along from there, using the closest of the two relationships, so SISTER would override AUNTY in the case of your dad also being your brother. Yeauch.

2. Breastfeeding as conraceptive
This was surprisingly simple to implement. The server now remembers the last time you fed a baby and when checking for fertility, if that time was less than thirty seconds ago, you are not fertile.

These changes compile and the server runs and everything seems to be in order, but I can't tell if it's all working or not because it needs to be tested by a decent number of players concurrently to work out if it is behaving as expected.

Sammoh has already advised that he would be interested in incorporating some/all of these changes on the 2HOL server if they work, so it would be swell if we could get some help testing it. It's currently at the same version as the vanilla client, so nothing is needed except to set the custom server address to unclegus.cloudapp.net and jump in.

#2 2018-05-09 13:11:21

pein

Re: Birth overhaul mod, testing required

nice, the last one i suggested

male lineage could be when no female around only
bit pervy when you pick up your daughter xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-05-10 00:37:14

Uncle Gus

I've added Adam spawning, but I have no idea if it's working properly, so more testing is required. I haven't done any lineage stuff yet, but if my code works, we should be getting one adult male spawning for every Eve that is spawned, and probability for having a baby should be at its highest when there is an adult male within about a screen's distance. Within that distance, there is no difference whether they're right next to you or not, so there's no need to stand right next to each other.

Adam should in theory also be able to name his family line, but I think he'll still be called EVE SMITH or whatever. I haven't dug into that much, just changes the code that I stumbled upon, so his name isn't passed on anywhere either.

#4 2018-05-10 01:17:51

Anshin

Does your version stand alone like 2HOL, or does it need to be installed & uninstalled for every use?
Download link please?
Thanks!

#5 2018-05-10 01:34:09

Uncle Gus

It's all server side changes, so you just have to point your client at it. unclegus.cloudapp.net

#6 2018-05-10 02:10:08

Evan

Uncle Gus wrote:

It's all server side changes, so you just have to point your client at it. unclegus.cloudapp.net

how?

"No there aint nothing in life but to be legit" ~~ Eazy E

#7 2018-05-10 03:40:16

Uncle Gus

Edit settings/useCustomServer.ini from 0 to 1, then edit settings/customServerAddress.ini to contain unclegus.cloudapp.net

https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Ad … tom_Server

#8 2018-05-16 04:34:46

Uncle Gus

Okay, I have been busy! I have managed to implement the following features:
1) Breastfeeding as contraceptive.
2) Proximity to adult male as a scalar for probability of having a baby (note that because this is a scalar, if there are no adult males, then the probability is the same as the normal game).
3) Every Eve gets one Adam that spawns near them, so that they have a decent chance to have a baby if there are already existing adult males elsewhere on the server.
4) Adam can name his family line.
5) Adam can name his children (if Eve doesn't do it first).
6) "Father" is now a real relationship and family lineage is tracked through both mother and father (this was such a mission to do).

Because the relationship calculation is done in the client, I needed to modify the client, meaning that you can no longer connect with the normal game client. If you do, at best everyone will be "NO RELATION", at worst it'll crash.

The pre-compiled client can be downloaded here. One advantage of compiling a separate client is that it is pre-configured to point at the server, so all you need to do is unzip it and go.

This is a windows client. If you are using linux, then you are probably enough of a hacker to clone my git repo (https://github.com/UncleGus/OneLife.git), check out the birthoverhaul branch and compile the client yourself.

If you're on mac, then you miss out for now.

Let me know how it goes!

#9 2018-05-16 05:51:52

Uncle Gus

Update: Adam naming children is not working, but I know what I need to do to fix it.

#10 2018-05-16 06:06:16

Uncle Gus

Update: lineage lockout is disabled at the moment because it might be causing crashes.

Fix for Adam naming children deployed. Yet to be tested.

#11 2018-05-16 10:55:28

Uncle Gus

Lineage lockout is reenabled. It is only passed down from a mother to a child, so you don't get locked out of your father's lineage, but for the most part, that's going to be the same thing anyway.

#12 2018-05-17 00:35:36

Uncle Gus

Proper Eve placement is enabled now; no more spawning in the same spot every time.

#13 2018-05-17 03:56:56

Uncle Gus

Update: Adam naming is tested and working.

#14 2018-05-17 04:38:26

Uncle Gus

Update: I just had a go at compiling for Mac. I ended up with a .tar.gz whereas the official client installer is a .dmg, so I have no idea what I am doing differently to Jason, but if someone on Mac wants to have a go, the download is here.

#15 2018-05-19 00:46:12

Uncle Gus

Update: mac client doesn't work. Will go back to the drawing board.

Board footer