One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-30 22:14:12

karltown

Jason: Griefing should be a main priority

I was born into a village that had just been griefed. Then, it was griefed again. Finally, after I had killed the griefer, we started to recover. She said she'd be back in a couple seconds. We decided not to keep babies. Minutes later one fool kept one baby. One damn baby was all it took. He was Martin, the third griefer. Probs the same one all times. We worked hard and cooperated but what can you do to protect from that.
I didn't end up seeing how it ended. I accidentally shot someone when trying to put the bow down, (I'm sorry!) and so starved myself. But there were three of us chasing Martin with bows, and he got home free. Even wrecked our kiln when we tried making pies from all the wheat he'd planted, dunno why thats even an option.
Look. Just... the re-spawns. If you murder in a town, or are murdered there you can't spawn there for, say, one hour. The people who were griefed or killed grievers would be kinda pissed, but if you love your town you should take the risk. I get attached to my towns and I know I would. And would give props to anyone who did.

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

#2 2018-04-30 22:40:22

Lily

Re: Jason: Griefing should be a main priority

I feel like killing yourself over and over is a big part of the issue. Because if they don't baby suicide a bunch, the chances of being born in the same town three times in a row are extremely low.

#3 2018-04-30 23:39:07

Alleria

I really don't like the idea of preventing baby suicide, for multiple reasons. It'd be difficult to enforce, since players could just wait the 45 seconds (or so) it takes to die, then respawn. I personally like the ability to suicide if I'm born to a bastard dynasty, or bastard Eve. Often, I'm in a better position to work out if this Eve can afford me, than he/she is.

I agree griefing needs to be addressed (it has over the past few patches, thankfully), but I haven't seen a reasonable (IMO) solution, nor can I think of one.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#4 2018-05-01 02:12:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, this is a tough one.

Don't want to punish the good guys along the way.  You're right that they might make the sacrifice for the sake of their town, but....

Baby suicide is indeed an issue.  I've thought about different ways to curb it.  Not through any kind of cool-down, because you can't differentiate legit baby death from suicide, but maybe some kind of area constraint?  Death before 30 makes you respawn in that same area again, either to a mother in that area, or as an Eve?  Or maybe every hour, you are assigned a new area to get born/Eved into.  Problem is it would stick a griefer in your village for the whole hour.

#5 2018-05-01 03:29:58

FabFatFish

A Twitch streamer caught this happen haha.

Its too easy for griefers right now but I do like the idea of criminals if there were repercussions for murder or you could outcast someone 100 tiles away from a homemarker or something like that.

Long live the Groots
(Don't step on snek, keep warm and run)

#6 2018-05-01 04:20:41

karltown

jasonrohrer wrote:

Or maybe every hour, you are assigned a new area to get born/Eved into.  Problem is it would stick a griefer in your village for the whole hour.

What if, instead of cycling through locations every hour you could expand the radius in which people could spawn? No one wants to be born into the same village three times, it just gets boring. And no one wants a griefer spawning in the same village three times. It would decrease the chances of you respawning into a village you really liked multiple times, but you can build new memories in different villages that you've never seen before.

Of course, I am clueless when it comes to coding so I have no idea how hard that would be to code into the game, or if it's even already implemented. But I think you wrote something about people spawning in a similar spot from where they died, which I don't understand the purpose of.

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

#7 2018-05-01 04:49:23

Potjeh

Out of game problems require out of game solution. Make babies' account names visible.

#8 2018-05-01 05:27:48

FabFatFish

Potjeh wrote:

Make babies' account names visible.

I like the idea of anonymity in this game. Making account names visible would help the problem but nothing would feel like a fresh start. You would also see people and say "oh hey, you were my Mum, sister and second cousin in X,Y and Z place" so idk I feel like we should stay anonymous.

Long live the Groots
(Don't step on snek, keep warm and run)

#9 2018-05-01 07:50:11

pein

thats stupid, i love spawning to same town, i see my signatures, my projects, killers could be punished not to come back again, and they could take the risk

what we need is a screne, like tab to show all the people in city, deaths and maybe actions taken

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-05-01 09:02:44

YAHG

What if whenever you die before you can grab you are born as Eve?

At least people who suicide won't be able to get to towns that way anymore. Either you work with the people around you or you work on your own..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#11 2018-05-01 09:19:00

TrustyWay

The iron handcuffes or the lasso to capture the griefers, they spend time in jail. Grief heavily reduces

#12 2018-05-01 09:45:35

Menolly

I might have a solution for the griefer problem:

What if there was a way to "curse" people, like standing on someones grave and type "I curse you" or something similar. The cursing would function like flagging or reporting, and the player who had been cursed would be punished, like banned from the server for some time for example. To prevent misuse from griefers and trolls, there could be some simple rules for cursing:
1. A player must be old enough to type "I curse you" as a complete sentence.
2. Multiple curses from different players are needed to enable the punishment. I'd suggest three or more. They could be from different play-sessions though, like there would be an invisible counter in each profile that would count curses in the background. The counter could be reset after for examlple 24 or 48 hours so that accidents may still happen without serious reprecussions.
3. The grave has to be fresh to curse it, old graves don't work.

Of course for that to work it would be necessary to tie the (fresh) graves to the player who died. I don't know, if this is possible, but it would be nice also for other reasons, like checking who died recently. (I often wander off to do something and when I come back and find a new grave, I wonder if it is my child who starved.)

This system would still not be easy to pull off and therefore be engaging gameplaywise:
- The community would need to kill the griefer first.
- The curser would need at least the support of two other players to set the curse, that way griefers would not be able to misuse the system.
- Only adults can speak curses, that way griefing babies would not be able to run around and curse everyone; they would have to contribute to society until adulthood first.
- Alternatively: A one-use-cursing-item could be required (like: charcoal + short shaft = cusing marker), that could only be made by a more advanced society (but please not with limited recources) so that misuse would require lots of grinding.

When the curse hits, the cursed player would see a message instead of the log-in-screen, like:

You have been cursed.
(Three or more people have voted to ban you from being reborn.)
Please wait <time> until you can play again.

What do you think of my idea?

Last edited by Menolly (2018-05-01 09:48:01)

#13 2018-05-01 10:04:47

YAHG

Menolly wrote:

What do you think of my idea?

I think you underestimate people, They would just band up in however many they needed and laugh as they banned people.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#14 2018-05-01 10:20:56

Menolly

Really? I didn't know you could meet up in one place like this. How does one do that?

#15 2018-05-01 12:24:08

Dishehs

Griefing is part of the game lol. Stop getting salty and let us kill who we want whenever we want.

#16 2018-05-01 13:36:33

YAHG

Menolly wrote:

Really? I didn't know you could meet up in one place like this. How does one do that?

You can track your coordinates. You can die on purpose until you have same village. Drop
your babies in the woods to make room for your friends to join your town till you reach
critical mass. I am sure there are plenty I haven't figured out.

#17 2018-05-01 13:46:21

Lum

Introducing cursing, religion, magic as a feature in the game would be weird.

We're not always going to be stuck at prehistoric levels of society, and the way the evolution of this game seems to be going, we're going to get robots, new tech, etc. Jason is building a world where occultism definitely won't fit in.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#18 2018-05-01 14:10:06

Anshin

Lum wrote:

Introducing cursing, religion, magic as a feature in the game would be weird.

We're not always going to be stuck at prehistoric levels of society, and the way the evolution of this game seems to be going, we're going to get robots, new tech, etc. Jason is building a world where occultism definitely won't fit in.

Agreed.

#19 2018-05-01 15:35:31

Menolly

Then call it differently, it does not have to do anything with magic or occult. It's a way of punishing people for their destructive behavior. Call it "law" or whatever. My idea is democratic and requires a collective decision, which is not that easy to reach. And since it is not a real-life-simulation, there is no reason to compare it to the real world. Why not have "magic" or whatever you will call it even in the robot-age? If it works in Star Wars, it can work here. wink

Dishehs wrote:

Griefing is part of the game lol. Stop getting salty and let us kill who we want whenever we want.

You still can, I'm not salty. It's just that as the game is designed now, destrucitve behavior is much easier than constructive. So people who are frustrated, because the "normal play" is too hard, fall back on the easier way of playing, aka griefing. And because there are no reprecussions or punishments in place, it stays an attractive alternative. You have two ways of dealing with it:
1. Make destruction harder to achieve then construction.
2. Punish the destructive players and/or reward the constructive ones.

The first one would require for example setting the limited recources to unlimited or make things and buildings undestructable and people unkillable. This would make the game much easier and the survival aspect would be diminished. The second way is clearly the one to go, if you want to keep the character of the game and it's difficulty as it is, but how do you punish when people get reborn all the time? It has to be a system that transcends death or it is meaningless. Same with reward.

#20 2018-05-01 20:43:45

YAHG

Menolly wrote:

It has to be a system that transcends death or it is meaningless. Same with reward.

EXACTALLY

Board footer