One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-27 12:42:37

YAHG

Pinging the Well

1. First have bowl with water in it next to wells in a big line. Bring your own empty containers with you.

2. Put water in first well.

3a It goes in take it back out. Don't use this well, it has failed your ping. You don't know it is full.

3b It does not go in, note what type of well it is, you know how much water is in this well, use some..

That's it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#2 2018-05-11 11:35:30

Alleria

Re: Pinging the Well

Just necroing old thread to let you know that this really inspired me, but Joriom had the idea first. (Needs a bump because people keep draining the wells too)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#3 2018-05-11 11:59:56

pein

problem is people dont know it can drain, and dont care it will drain, literally never ever gonna happen that your well lasts 2 hours.
i seen in the other game where i was farming and baby raising for like all my life, we made the first well, somebody just placed one under it, by the time the third was started, the first was dry, and we had a tower farm of max 3 tile width where the second well was alarmlingly depleting, i started stacking the well one tile below its original, people kept trying drain the second, make a well wall to empty tile where literally 6-8 ponds were to that side and easy acces was required, i made a filled thrash pit so they cannot put the next well under it

especially with current designs, so your responsibility is to guard it, and guarding it means you cannot walk to it with an empty pouch or bowl. currently there is not enough fences to do so, but you can put the sheep bones around it or dig pits, once you took out x-1 pouches.
cisterns are the way to go but people dont consider them as they dont give water, just store it, but you cant drain a cistern, you can fill it and have it as a reserve. while all carrots are watered, famine hits in, everybody needs like 5-6 carrots under that 2+2 minutes

im not really into farming carrots as its innefective food source with high working requirement. i might try to set up my own system where the seed and wells are closed in a pen, at least a blocking fence gives you time to warn them not to take out more water.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-05-11 12:17:38

Alleria

Putting sheep bones around wells is a genius idea. It's not permanent but would confuse noobs who would then realise that they shouldn't mess with the wells.

#5 2018-05-11 13:34:43

Roolstar

YAHG wrote:

1. First have bowl with water in it next to wells in a big line. Bring your own empty containers with you.

2. Put water in first well.

3a It goes in take it back out. Don't use this well, it has failed your ping. You don't know it is full.

3b It does not go in, note what type of well it is, you know how much water is in this well, use some..

That's it.

Building a well to use it for just 1 bowl of water every 5 mn, makes it much less valuable than a pond, which gives me a bad feeling that the only reason behind the well mechanic is to avoid easy solutions and to keep the game at Hard mode. Making it impossible to solve the water problem once and for all.

My proof for that is actually simple: No one is ever suspected to be a griefer if seen drying up a well, not even a "SORRY" is in order, and the witness would not even try to tell them what they did wrong (because they did nothing wrong). They simply were the guy who took out the last pouch of water, nothing more nothing less, he hunted the last rabbit (10 hours = forever as far as those players are concerned) without even realizing it.

Good thing nothing irl compares to that. Not sure how good it's for OHOL tho.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-11 13:39:04)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#6 2018-05-11 13:59:29

YAHG

The point isn't to guard the one well. In my dream there is a room with like 15-20 wells and someone
is well-master, you bring empty water cart to well master and he fills it for you or tells you to look for
wild water.

If you are on guard mode over the water supplies you can, have it set up with a perfect tile to wait on
and you can use full wells to do multi leveled pings on your other wells.

Obviously this isn't worth it for just one well, but if multiple wells can be run well ;.. then it can be
pretty nice in the end for increased carry capacity.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#7 2018-05-11 14:16:56

Alleria

1 deep well managed properly means your population can sustain more than 1 person. That's huge!

Best set up is a locked room with the well master in it, and the side facing the farm is made of cisterns. The well master fills up the cisterns while living in the well room (ideally a castle with his own berry farm (20 bushes) and heated tile). Eventually he takes on an apprentice who carries on his valuable work. You'd need quite a few wells for it to be worth it, maybe 6-20 (which would feed whole server).

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-11 14:24:53)

Board footer