One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-25 21:27:03

akoopatroop

Oops, that kind of play.

I just got  abandoned because when my mom asked if I knew how to play, I thought that meant there was some new mechanic/convention where babies should *do* something and didn't know what it was.

Oops. Sorry Mom.

#2 2018-04-25 21:43:33

TrustyWay

Re: Oops, that kind of play.

New players don't worth playing with

#3 2018-04-25 21:49:44

akoopatroop

I love playing with new players. I get to teach them things. So long as they listen.

#4 2018-04-25 22:22:26

kubassa
Banned

TrustyWay wrote:

and that's why i kill players like you.

I got huge ballz.

#5 2018-04-25 22:31:21

TrustyWay

kubassa wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

and that's why i kill players like you.

Huehuehuehue bet you can't

#6 2018-04-26 05:48:47

pein

we had a town with shittons of seed, had a son, told me he is new, he seen me explaining to my other son, seen me do it, repeated that he needs teaching and told what to do. told him do whatever, pick out all carrots as they grow, for now. 2 minutes later he died

some people are capable, soem not, i like teaching people who observe then ask, not like need every step 20x time and reasoning, started  to hate having kids, maybe 3-4 max, but then i cant reborn cause they die in piles

most games are hard, require fast acting, if you are not good enough just suicide, lets say you waste 1 berry from every bush then die, its a loss of time and resources for me, i try to show around and make sure they can live with it, noobs are always sure that they are good, only good players suicide mostly

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-04-26 11:32:28

Bayo

If you spawn to a fresh eve or to one that just had 3 babies instantly starve after growing up, then you cant really blame them for not wanting a new player.
Kids are always a gamble.
When i spawn as a fresh eve im always abandoning the first 2 or 3 kids.
Cant feed them anyways if you end up having 3 kids and not even a fire yet.
And when a couple of them die right after growing up because they dont know how to eat yet then the next kid better be worth it...

#8 2018-04-26 13:46:54

MistressZues

Seriously though everyones answer for are you new should be no, even my first time playing I knew exactly what to do, there are great youtube videos an twitches that will let you learn everything you need to know before you start playing.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#9 2018-04-26 14:01:50

ConfandibulumFlakes

Okay folks this is quite obviously the main thing that's going to happen on these forums, and it's going to have a powerful effect on the game, probably forever.

The argument over what to do with babies is *the* fulcrum on which the game turns. I started off advocating that babies kill themselves, and my thinking is turning around.

Listen, we have to be absolutely clear on this, and it seems counterintuitive, but it is absolutely true: the measure of the success of a civilization is how well it keeps its weakest members alive. Even more than that, how well it keeps its most incompetent members alive.

Killing a baby because the player isn't meeting your own ideas of what a good player is makes *you* weak, makes the *civilization* weak, and makes the *game* weak. Great civilizations ensure the survival of their most capable *and* their least.

And the decision and commitment to sustaining that kind of civilization is going to form here on these forums. In this kind of discussion.

#10 2018-04-26 17:55:37

akoopatroop

I really like the idea of finding techniques for civ survival that don't just rely on expert players and communication, but building up efficient ways to raise the weakest, so to speak. Yeah, a civ will die if too many of its members are weak or incompetent. But a truly strong civ can weather waves of newbs and a few griefers, if we know how to work together.

If I only wanted to play with experts, I'd set up a custom server just for my friends. And the game would get old pretty quick. This forced-to-raise-newbs is a fascinating aspect. Even dealing with game-breaking changes is pretty interesting.

#11 2018-04-26 17:57:12

akoopatroop

Also that might be why I'm happy to see adult males in a civ, because sure any female can abandon all the excess babies, but you can't guarantee all the females are on the same page re: population control. So workers that don't have any chance of spawning new babes are pretty useful as a balance.

Board footer