One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-25 03:47:04

akoopatroop

Milkweed Etiquette

Milkweed doesn't respawn unless you pull off at least one seed, right?  And there seems to be an endless supply of seeds.

I try to always pull a few off because I really hate not being able to find milkweed. But when I've been a baby with an Eve running around, she very rarely plucks a seed even after getting the stalk.

Am I wrong about how it works, or did it change and people are still doing the old way, or are those players doing it wrong?

#2 2018-04-25 04:13:59

Turnipseed

Re: Milkweed Etiquette

no it will respawn as long as you pick it in fruiting stage. though it is polite to pull a few seeds for the next person who comes by.

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-04-25 04:14:28)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-04-25 04:18:55

akoopatroop

Ooooh, I see, it's a fertile stump: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#6 … ---Fertile

#4 2018-04-25 04:26:16

Turnipseed

when to pick milkweed is one of the most important things for a new player to learn. I always pick fruiting milkweed even when I dont need it just in case someone else stumbles across it. when I'm an eve in old age I pick all the branches off trees so whoever settles has plenty of timber/straight shafts too.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2018-04-25 05:01:45

akoopatroop

Good idea.

But in the game I was just playing, the fruiting milkweed seemed to turn into an ordinary stump, not a fertile stump. Unless it's because I picked the seeds? More study required.

#6 2018-04-25 08:00:03

Avalikia

akoopatroop wrote:

Good idea.

But in the game I was just playing, the fruiting milkweed seemed to turn into an ordinary stump, not a fertile stump. Unless it's because I picked the seeds? More study required.

Regardless of when you pick milkweed, once the debris clears you are left with a stump.  The stump does not look different regardless of what stage the milkweed was in.  However, if it was picked while in its normal or flowering stage, the stump simply disappears after awhile and never grows again.  But if it was picked while it was fruiting, the stump stays until the plant regrows - which takes a very long time, but it does eventually.

#7 2018-04-25 10:19:05

pein

yesterday planted 10 milkweed when i was old, the city was standing today, different family
i found my milkweed, had 7 out of 10, few hours later only 5

so 5 soil wasted, i understand if people lag, but pay more attention to it, its hard to make compost now, you need sheep, you need rope for that, you need lasso, to get a horse, to be able to solve fast the situations, also a milkweed farm should cover the clothing of all the family, once you setup sheep, food and clothing can be easily managed with a smith and somebody who tends the sheep and gets some berries from far biomes, this requires fences to park the horse
but at the end all comes down to milkweed, so if you can make a farm, harvest all fruiting al lat same time, then next time hopefully someone will do the same, this can make any city with plenty of water viable, even if other biomes are further

if you want to be very safe:
-never click from far away, go next to milkweed, wait transition change, pick it, 99% of time should work, even if you lag

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-04-25 10:51:03

pein

full clothing takes 6 thread thats 12 milkweed. calculate with at least 6 members for two generations
lasso 8
rope 4
cart 4

you really have to use it. and further a bit, 3 ponds is not enough for a city. eve camps might use that soil for carrots, and lose all soil, so yes, its viable to make a  milkweed farm,  then no one settles there i think. all it needs a bowl and a basket, some food nearby. if you put it in the city griefers just plant into carrot fields. if no one fcks it up, its worth the soil, cause its permanent each hour, carts allow people to scavenge further

its mroe than a minute, seems like 5 at least, how you have 25 from 2 fields?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-25 12:54:41

Thorware

Mlikweed seeds on the ground despawn after one hour. It's unlikely someone will want exactly to plant milkweed around whatever plant you pulled. For this reason I don't bother picking seeds and laying them on the ground, it only creates clutter with no benefit in most cases. Even if someone does want to plant milkweed, it's not too difficult for them to simply find their own plant to pick, and then they get infinite seeds to make as many plots as they like. There is very little benefit from you leaving some seeds laying around for them, and a good chance the seeds will just disappear. If there is a milkweed plot in active development held up by soil, I'd say this is the only situation where picking a few seeds and leaving them nearby after picking the last milkweed is polite.

In contrast, milkweed stalks on the ground are permanent. For this reason I always pick fruiting milkweed if I happen by it and leave it on the ground. Then the next guy an hour later can get thread there right away instead of just a stalk.

#10 2018-04-25 14:56:55

akoopatroop

Ooooh they despawn. Whelp, that changes everything.

Thank you everyone for clarifying. I will be a better citizen now.

#11 2018-04-26 04:58:02

Avalikia

Thorware wrote:

Mlikweed seeds on the ground despawn after one hour.

And if you want to make it easy to start your future milkweed farm, you only need one seed anyways.  Milkweed grows from seed very quickly after you water it - I forget how long, but it's only a few minutes.  And the second it becomes a fruiting milkweed you can pick it and seed all the other plots very easily.  I've seeded over 20 plots at once before I couldn't pull any more seeds from the milkweed debris, no need to actually go find seeds after the first one.

#12 2018-04-26 21:00:34

Finrael

akoopatroop wrote:

Ooooh they despawn. Whelp, that changes everything.

Thank you everyone for clarifying. I will be a better citizen now.

haha, me too.

Board footer