One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-23 08:13:37

Xuhybrid

Positives and negatives

I'd just like to list a few things i consider positives and negatives, from changes made to the game recently.

Positives
When Eve's would only spawn in new areas, it created a nice amount of cohesion with the existing game elements. While you will no longer be able to make roads and find settlements from the past, i liked the emphasis on creating a family line that people can be born into, maintain or ruin. It was sad that this change was implemented alongside finite soil (worms).

Sheep manure is now required to fertilize soil. This is a huge step towards how the original compost came into play. Originally there were just carrots, and seeds, and water. There was never any need to do anything else. Adding compost allowed all the components such as berries, wheat and pies to join together into a singular system, along with carrots.

Decay in it's current form is soul destroying, however, i think some level of decay should be necessary. Spawning into a place with all of the things you need can be kinda boring sometimes. This is why a level of decay for things like tools or clothing and soil to some extent, should be in the game. But why, why was this added BEFORE any kind of repairing?

Negatives
Since the Eve spawning range was changed, i am constantly spawning into areas with empty berry bushes, no vegetables in the ground, random thread lying around and randomly bumping into other Eve's. While this is fine by itself, contrasted with the previous experience, i definitely prefer spawning in a fresh area. Knowing that there are the resources my family line needs to be successful.

Making soil finite was a huge downside for me personally, and the more changes that got added to make it finite, the more it was ruining the enjoyment for me personally. With the ability to make it infinite again, with A LOT of proper management and gameplay systems, i think this negative has been reduced. It should be complicated to make something stable, not impossible.

Basket decay. Storage is a huge issue. It's not a fun experience. It adds no enjoyment. It was already bad before baskets decayed but now even more so. With floppy or broken baskets every 60 (up from 30) minutes, the game is at least twice as tedious. Every new player will have to spend their years collecting baskets, every generation. Perhaps that's the point, but it's MORE tedium to an already tedious process.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-23 08:14:54)

#2 2018-04-23 08:42:49

pein

Re: Positives and negatives

duplicate topic

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-04-23 08:50:59

Xuhybrid

pein wrote:

duplicate topic

What do you mean? You think there's a topic that exists for this already? Multiple? Perhaps. Specifically? Whether anyone has any interest in my opinions is not really for you alone to decide. Thanks for bumping my thread though wink

#4 2018-04-23 10:17:57

breezeknight

Xuhybrid wrote:

Making soil finite was a huge downside for me personally, and the more changes that got added to make it finite, the more it was ruining the enjoyment for me personally. With the ability to make it infinite again, with A LOT of proper management and gameplay systems, i think this negative has been reduced. It should be complicated to make something stable, not impossible

depends how Jason wants to have the game

if it should be more RL oriented leaning towards dystopic then the things ought to be finite & one of the goals of the game is then to preserve the few ressources left

if it should be more gamey, then it ought to be balanceable into at least one stable state if not several

#5 2018-04-23 10:29:23

Xuhybrid

How would several stable states work? Layered systems that rely on each other?

#6 2018-04-23 12:10:00

Potjeh

I for one want the previous Eve spawning back, it was nice to have enough food to raise a kid or two before the first carrot harvest. Not to mention milkweed will be extinct in the spawn area even faster than back at launch because we need so much more of it now.

Board footer