One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-20 12:22:11

Baker

Is it worth following the bell tower "home markers"

So I recently discovered that everytime a bell tower rings, these that don't already have a home marker set will get that leads directly to the bell tower. So most of the times the city in question is very far away, It took me about 20+ to actually reach my destination (more on that later) when I was trying it out.
It started out as me being curious, I got a mysterious home marker that leads me far from my village.

So because that bell tower is so hard to make, you can assume that the city is pretty advanced. As an Eve or a primitive villager, you might be tempted to follow it so you can reach that city. But I've learned not to be fooled so easily.

I was in a fairly small village but we were doing okay, then I heard the bell ring. I was told to follow the "home marker" arrow and it'll lead me to a city. I was told to travel there and possibly spread my bloodline to that location. I was excited because I got to go on adventure instead of normal slave labor. I loaded my cart with food and set off, for years I traveled through dangerous lands. I had a kid along the way but they didn't make it.

After a long journey that lasted many years, I finally reached the city. I was told that the city had run out of resources and that everyone was starving, I was disappointed, to say the least. I had taken the bait and suffered the consequences, it was our own fault for falling into the trap. Perhaps someone had rung that bell out of bordem and assumed no was stupid enough to actually travel to the wretched city. Maybe the city was doing well at the time but fell into disrepair during the roughly two decades it took to travel there. Maybe they wanted to lure people to there doom.

Was I unlucky or is this normally the case when a naive adventure follows the sound of the bell tower. Did anyone have better luck when traveling to one of these cities, I'd like to know.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#2 2018-04-20 12:37:04

breezeknight

Re: Is it worth following the bell tower "home markers"

i died last time i followed instead to have set a home marker myself
it seemed to be an endless journey, ended in my death only

i think it's a pretty sound but also pretty useless as guidance

#3 2018-04-20 14:15:05

jord1990

Ringing a bell tower calls in all the people who dont have their own well off town they arent willing to abandon.

These people will arrive in the promised land and then most likely spend the rest of their days being a grasshopper and demolishing stuff. Maybe on purpose but most likely through ignorance.

#4 2018-04-20 15:40:58

pein

one tip: triangulation. means you do not follow the marker directly, you try to run 45 degree to it first, for example you got souetheast, you run east or south, if its close, the marker changes direction to south or east, which means its not that far, if you run more than 6 screen distances and doesnt change, means its pretty far, if its straight to you then try run diagonal, should also change at a point

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-20 15:53:02

Lily

If you have an establish place then it isn't worth the risk I think. If you don't think you can survive at your current location, then it might be worth going for however.

#6 2018-04-20 17:48:56

HumanMindFly

I was an Eve, Eve Ishman, and I followed the bell.  On the way I met an older man at an abandoned village with alot of carts and carrots.  He had a cart full of backpacks with clothing in them and told me he was also following the bell.  I grabbed a cart with four baskets full of carrots and we traveled together for a long time, maybe 4 - 5 mins, stopping together to eat and making sure we were never too far off screen so not to lose each other.  I was sad when he died while off screen somehow, but I had a boy, Isaac Ishman, while mourning the old mans death.  I told Isaac of my pilgrimage and when he was old enough, he followed with me.  Unfortunately, we had to leave the old man's cart with backpacks, as I was not willing to wait for Isaac to be strong enough to pull the cart himself.

We found The Promised Land of the Bell after another 3-4 mins--so maybe a total of 7-9 mins of running total.  I didn't explore the town much but it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. They only had a medium sized farm going--maybe 7 or 8? (not sure how tall screen is, but you had to move up or down a few tiles to see it all) tall by 3 or 4 wide of carrot plots.  I had two more daughters and raised them by the fire, telling them of my journey to the Promised Land.  When I was too old for kids I went to the farm and it was almost out of seeds.  I grabbed a cart of baskets and ran off in search of seeds.  I died by a rattle snake.

I don't know if that village later starved or not. It seems to reason that ringing the bell too much may cause a town to be swamped with people then suffer a mass die off due to starvation, or maybe not, this was just what happened to me.

#7 2018-04-20 17:59:10

KucheKlizma

pein wrote:

one tip: triangulation. means you do not follow the marker directly, you try to run 45 degree to it first, for example you got souetheast, you run east or south, if its close, the marker changes direction to south or east, which means its not that far, if you run more than 6 screen distances and doesnt change, means its pretty far, if its straight to you then try run diagonal, should also change at a point

Good tip, was thinking the same.

#8 2018-04-21 03:18:58

denriguez

I was an aging mother raising two girls--April and Joy--on a modest farm when we heard the bell. I was too old to have more children, so I knew that my time was limited. I told Joy, my youngest, that I would look for the town until I had run for what I estimated to be half of my remaining life. I vowed to return, regardless.

I found the town not three minutes from our little farm. I returned home, nearly getting lost on the way, and we soon set out as a family, saying a sad goodbye to my elderly unnamed brother who had devoted his entire life to farming carrots, When we arrived, I married April off to a handsome single man, and he promised to care for my family. I died soon after giving my clothes to my granddaughter.

April and Joy Lintz (my mother named me Boolean Linux), I hope you did well in your new home.

#9 2018-04-21 05:02:57

Aurora Aurora

denriguez wrote:

I was an aging mother raising two girls--April and Joy--on a modest farm when we heard the bell. I was too old to have more children, so I knew that my time was limited. I told Joy, my youngest, that I would look for the town until I had run for what I estimated to be half of my remaining life. I vowed to return, regardless.

I found the town not three minutes from our little farm. I returned home, nearly getting lost on the way, and we soon set out as a family, saying a sad goodbye to my elderly unnamed brother who had devoted his entire life to farming carrots, When we arrived, I married April off to a handsome single man, and he promised to care for my family. I died soon after giving my clothes to my granddaughter.

April and Joy Lintz (my mother named me Boolean Linux), I hope you did well in your new home.

Mom!! I was Joy!

We didn’t stay at the village, just one of my daughters and one of April’s sons did.
I did what I said I was going to do and stole things from the big village. I stole a cart of tools, a horse some food and some clothes for the children.
I was sort of a mailman who would pop in to our village on my horse and give people whatever they desired.
On my last trip they asked for food. I abliged. But when I came back everyone was dead and gone, and with me being almost 50 I couldn’t have anymore children so our village died.

But In the next life I was born In the big town as a male, Donaldo. I decided to dedicate my life to making our little village beautiful and a good place for people to stay. So at the age of 5 I took a basket of carrots and traveled the 3 years it took to get there. When I arrived I started working. I made compost, grew plenty of seeds, filled every basket I could find with carrots, baked pies and made some baby clothes. I would frequently travel to the big village on the horse I’d stolen to check up on my mother (she was a bit loopy) she ended up building a wall around herself and dying.

When I turned 45 I decided that our village needed a population. So I traveled back to the big town that was now very familiar and asked every little girl to come with me to a land with plenty of food and water. Of course none of the little ladies believed me and told me I was a dirty old man. I decided that they’d be better off fighting over their 2 baskets of carrots if they were going to be so critical. But then I found a girl no more than 12 who wanted to come with me. Of course I agreed. We took a horse each and rode off to our town. She was pleased, I was pleased and she had her first baby girl as soon as we arrived.
I knew our town as going to be fine.

Hope it was interesting to read what happened after you died. 
Love, Joy

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-04-21 05:31:32

Baker

So what I'm getting from this is that cities shouldn't be building them bell towers. By ringing the bell you attract a bunch potential undesirables to your city. If your city is already doing well, you probably shouldn't be broadcasting your location to outsiders.

If you ring the bell you're likely to get freeloaders, thieves and murderers loading up there carts and heading straight for your town.
I'd only do it if we desperately needed more people, perhaps if my city ran out of fertile women. Cities need a way of filtering the refugees. If we only we could let in the hard-working refugees and prevent the bad eggs from entering.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#11 2018-04-21 15:25:25

kubassa
Banned

Do not bother. All it does is summons people for the griefers to kill you.

I got huge ballz.

#12 2018-04-21 16:53:30

paxpython

I think the bell is a last resort for when there are no women.
It would also be good for a school, or a church to the mighty Mushroom God.

Last edited by paxpython (2018-04-21 16:54:02)

#13 2018-04-23 00:56:33

denriguez

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Mom!! I was Joy!

We didn’t stay at the village, just one of my daughters and one of April’s sons did.
I did what I said I was going to do and stole things from the big village. I stole a cart of tools, a horse some food and some clothes for the children.
I was sort of a mailman who would pop in to our village on my horse and give people whatever they desired.
On my last trip they asked for food. I abliged. But when I came back everyone was dead and gone, and with me being almost 50 I couldn’t have anymore children so our village died.

Hope it was interesting to read what happened after you died. 
Love, Joy

I was hoping I'd find one of you! Yes, super interesting to read what happened, but shame on you, Joy, for stealing that fine town's tools and horses. I raised you better than that.

#14 2018-04-23 09:57:51

kubassa
Banned

You ring the bell I am coming to kill the village. Just saying. So please ring ring ring that bell.

I got huge ballz.

#15 2018-04-23 19:52:55

pein

today i was eve, my daughter spawned, i found a samll farm, mom with three daughters, so i moved on
we run a while, she told me not to die, well i couldnt pick her up and lost sight
later had a son, i calibrated my heat and run further, a girl  near bell told that we would eat their food, my son told me that we should kill them, seemed fun, i killed one, but i was shot, the guard didnt bought the bear story, i should of killed that nab first xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer