One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-19 01:58:50

Ferraus

The barbarian hoard!

I was born to a large and well developed town with a surplus of everything but people. Maybe you know it. It’s bell town was 4 stories high and they had built a wall around the monument to stop any apocalypses. Great wonders constructed by the ancients using technology long since lost.
I spent my childhood carrot farming. It was easy work, as most of the many wells were full and baskets were plentiful. The hardest part was just picking them all before they seeded. However, I was soon given a task by our small family. As a man it was my task to venture out and find seeds for the farm.

Long I wondered and I was about to give up hope until I stumbled upon an abandoned village. Only it was not abandoned at all. It was populated… by the Underwood tribe.

I infiltrated their tribe, blended in, and when the opportunity arose filled a cart with their most valuable goods and dashed back to my home marker. I returned triumphant and shared my spoils with the family. I decided then, to be a farmer, not of sheep or carrots but of people.

Many time I returned, raiding their supplies with impunity living of the fat of their lands. Never killing though, as that would inhibit the productivity of my new flock. Once, I tried to steal a child as our tribe was lacking people. But the little guy broke free and mom got suspicious.

The raiding reached its culmination with the next generation as I was lucky enough to be reborn in the same village as Ken. I enlisted the help of a family member, Bob, and together we road on horseback and attacked with our barbarian hoard (a hoard of two but still). The village was wise to our game by now and had a militia of bows and sword men but with our cavalry we were able to out maneuver them and steal what we wished.  The greatest prize was 4 full baskets of seeds freshly collected by their queen.

We left as quickly as we came leaving from a direction that would not lead them back to our village and return home victorious. No doubt the names Ken and Bob strike fear into the hearts of the Underwoods to this day.

/// Despite the exhilaration of waging war and raiding I do feel a bit bad. I would not like it to happen to me. However, I wonder if it should be a viable strategy for survival. Does it count as griefing? I don’t think so as we were using resources for our own tribe and we never killed anyone or wanted too. (well, only once at the end when I was old and wanted a duel with the queen, I missed and she ran off). Griefing would be killing and destroying for the sake of destruction, we were farming these people.

I’m not sure how my tribe faired in the end, there was never enough people despite all the food and raided stuff. Maybe the other village took all the respawns? Either way, being a barbarian hoard certainly made for a memorable game. ///

#2 2018-04-19 02:09:23

Anshin

Re: The barbarian hoard!

Ferraus wrote:

Does it count as griefing?

Pillage rhymes with village... it's a lifestyle choice! wink

#3 2018-04-19 02:21:08

karltown

In case you were wondering: Here's what happened in the aftermath.
I was born to the town north. An old woman told me the village south of ours was having problems with food. They had been raiding our supplies earlier so they'd disabled the carts and been more careful. I think after you died no one else wanted to raid. I took them over four baskets of full carrots. There were like three people left. Hopefully they got their shit together, because they didn't raid us any more, but they also may have died. I'm pretty sure you lived there because there was a shielded monolith a bit south from us, as you'd mentioned.

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

#4 2018-04-19 02:51:10

pein

i was underwood a few times, not sure, was a desert village which ran out of water, we had a king, henry, complete noob. i born few daughters and many sons, but we had famines
i managed to feed sheeps and clean up the mess, like everything out of the pen, making some muflon pies, upgrading one well

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-19 09:03:38

Siolfor the Jackal

I was born in the Underwood villages a couple of times. I visited North village and someone had stolen all their food so I brought them two carts of food.
Later I was born into North village and kept the farm going. In my old age I visited South village and everyone there but one guy named Ben had died out. He was just minding his business making pies. So I went back to North village and asked some people to go down and populate the South village. I died before seeing how well that went.

Board footer