One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-15 11:17:29

Bob the Blob

Armed citizens?

So there are still asshats out there just ruining villages for kicks and the game seems to favor griefers even after all the updates.

The new wounding mechanic is pretty useless in my opinion. I have found out recently that when you are wounded you cannot hold/use any items.  You can only run around crying about getting stabbed. Well what if you could use items when wounded?  In my opinion that would be a great deterrent to murders because if you had a weapon handy you'd be able to just retaliate and kill the sadsacks before they go on a murder rampage and wipe out a village.  To me it would at least provide better defense as opposed to having a guard that just gets targeted first anyway.

I know there are other ways to grief but here Im focussed more on the murdering swine.

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

#2 2018-04-15 11:29:07

Lavea

Re: Armed citizens?

Agreed. Any idea how the private servers work. I heard there are some that work without murder? Is that something you'd be interested in? Or are we wanting more of a wider game idea?

#3 2018-04-15 11:39:24

Ka

I think the point is that if you're wounded and bleeding out you don't have the strength to do so stuff/are busy with holding your open wound. And I find the update to be rather useful, as your speech becomes red and can be heard from quite far away, so that people can come over and witness the murderer slowly running away, thus identifying them and/or take actions against them.

#4 2018-04-15 11:58:17

Bob the Blob

Lavea wrote:

Agreed. Any idea how the private servers work. I heard there are some that work without murder? Is that something you'd be interested in? Or are we wanting more of a wider game idea?

I dont have a problem with being able to kill in game. In fact, I think it is a necessity in order to get rid of your infrastructure griefers for a better word. You need to be able to kill that carrot eating, bush digging bastard. You should just be able to defend yourself/village in a more effective way and I think the wounding mechanic will allow for that if you were able to still use a weapon after being stabbed.

There might be better ideas out there and I think it's important we voice them so that we can have a game that doesn't just resort in the same disappointment every life.

#5 2018-04-15 12:02:27

Baker

I'd like being able to fight back while wounded, like your going to die anyway. You would still bleed out anyway but I'd rest easy knowing that I managed to wound my killer.

But it's not to say it's completely useless, It's harder for murderers to stealth kill you. You can at least try to warn the nearest people about the killer.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-04-15 12:03:40

breezeknight

@Lavea

i played on one private server by Norgg, that server is not on the latest update
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=381

the problem with private servers is they have to be up to date, if not then you cannot access

there's one server with PW protection & PvP disabled, but i don't know if it's up to date, one has to use discord to contact for PW
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=512

#7 2018-04-15 12:05:01

Bob the Blob

Ka wrote:

I think the point is that if you're wounded and bleeding out you don't have the strength to do so stuff/are busy with holding your open wound. And I find the update to be rather useful, as your speech becomes red and can be heard from quite far away, so that people can come over and witness the murderer slowly running away, thus identifying them and/or take actions against them.

Look I get the whole 'realistic' idea but hell, if that's the case this realism should be applied to everything ie wild food respawns, 10 hours/years for a well to fill again... come on now. Event a murderer being slowed is unrealistic as you will find irl they actually pretty much speed up quite a bit.

There are instances where the rules should be bent a little because it is still just a game an in order for it to work/be balanced certain mechanics must be in play or the whole thing will fail. The wounding is useful to let people know yes, if no one is around or there are no immediate weapons what good does it do? I have seem more murderers get away than actually being caught and they just sneak back, waiting for the right opportunity. We need a better way to deal with these snotbobbles.

#8 2018-04-15 12:07:52

Bob the Blob

Baker wrote:

I'd like being able to fight back while wounded, like your going to die anyway. You would still bleed out anyway but I'd rest easy knowing that I managed to wound my killer.

But it's not to say it's completely useless, It's harder for murderers to stealth kill you. You can at least try to warn the nearest people about the killer.

Yep, the idea is exactly that, you take the scumbag with you so that at the very least they don't just win all the time.

I might be a bit too dramatic saying it's completely useless but it will certainly be a hell of a lot more useful just being able to wield a weapon whilst wounded.

I imagine such a mechanic will mean a lot more weapons in the game and most people would be armed. Could make for an interesting development as a society.

#9 2018-04-15 12:20:05

breezeknight

& about killing griefers & killers

it's
useless

you can't controll who the killer will be
a killed killer can respawn as a new baby or an Eve
you never know, they all look the same

& people kiling a killer are still a killer & are being killed
everybody who killed is a killer & will be seen by those who didn't witness the whole thing as just that, a mean killer & not a protector
& who does in this game with the limited view & limited tools actually get the whole picture of a situation going on ?

thus useless

besides
i started to play this game because it was promissed to be about building civilization
instead it's a killers simulator in pseudo historic setting tongue

#10 2018-04-15 12:27:16

Makkar0nii

Make killer bloody when killing innocent.

But maybe they could make the innocent who kills the killer, don't get penalty or bloody. As compare to killer who kill innocent. If i was born from a killer, i would rather kill myself and born from someone else because i would end up dead anyway. If they made the blood thing a permanent thing then it would be troublesome for the killers. Unless they bunch up together and form a cannibal clan but that would quickly fail because killers among killers get killed.

Taking these concept from GTA Online - Bad Sport, Good Sport

#11 2018-04-15 12:45:07

breezeknight

Bob the Blob wrote:

So there are still asshats out there just ruining villages for kicks and the game seems to favor griefers even after all the updates.

The new wounding mechanic is pretty useless in my opinion. I have found out recently that when you are wounded you cannot hold/use any items.  You can only run around crying about getting stabbed. Well what if you could use items when wounded?  In my opinion that would be a great deterrent to murders because if you had a weapon handy you'd be able to just retaliate and kill the sadsacks before they go on a murder rampage and wipe out a village.  To me it would at least provide better defense as opposed to having a guard that just gets targeted first anyway.

I know there are other ways to grief but here Im focussed more on the murdering swine.

with your suggestion you are forgetting that,
if an initial killer was wounded by a brave citizen, he still could kill another one, that means, one killer could kill at least two even if killed as opposed to now when he is unable to

talking about excallation by tools & options insufficient to address the real problem

#12 2018-04-15 12:47:16

Joriom
Website

So - you propose more knives in villages? I'm all up for that. So now people will just give me knife without even asking! Or at least I will be able to kill the weakest link with bow to get my knife which is way earier than bow. Nice. Please do apply that in every town you see. So I can bring them to ruin even faster.

#13 2018-04-15 12:52:11

Lavea

Hum. Perhaps there should be less chance of successful kills particularly with lower grade weapons? I mean short of a Stewie and Lois type situations, if we're trying to be realistic, how many children really go round murdering their mothers on a regular basis. It's silly.

Lower chance of kill? - Like 10% chance of a critical kill hit, the others just reduce your health or slow you down for the next 10 mins? Most people wouldn't die from a stone knife stab unless it hit a major vein or gut I'd guess.
Opportunities to heal? Plants and herbalists who can save you if you get to them within a minute.

Ways to repair non murder griefer damage -
Someone who overeats too quickly throws up and loses health.
Ways to nurture baby animals from healthy nests to repopulate abandoned ones.
Chance of rain to fill up empty ponds.
Wind blown seeds that have a chance of being blown in from afar to bring in plants wiped out in the local area.

If reality the world may not heal itself quick enough to recover in a generation, but it always does, even if years after the civilisation is gone. The Earth is very good at recoving from devastation in real life on the geological scale.

Last edited by Lavea (2018-04-15 12:54:44)

#14 2018-04-15 12:53:21

suzanbones

What I have noticed when dying is that I couldn't see any more names/relations. I can understand the not using an item stuff( to weak to use and such) and I never carry any weapons , but why can't I see any names/relations. It would be so nice if you can say the name of your murderer so everyone know who done it. Much more helpful than saying a lady in a red shirt did it. (Real story).

Sadly, if it comes to building civilizations, they will always be black sheep.  We just need the tools to counter them.  However, I am not expecting these tools to arrive today or tomorrow. It won't be fair towards Jason who is a lone developer with just one pair of hands. This game is still in development after all.

So relax, be patient and see what comes next update.

#15 2018-04-15 12:57:02

Lavea

Hehe, there's the difference between the black sheep in a family and every other baby trying to murder it's mother. Realistically, how many people do you know who've actually stabbed their mother in real life?

#16 2018-04-15 14:44:34

Bob the Blob

breezeknight wrote:

with your suggestion you are forgetting that,
if an initial killer was wounded by a brave citizen, he still could kill another one, that means, one killer could kill at least two even if killed as opposed to now when he is unable to

talking about excallation by tools & options insufficient to address the real problem

Omg... Nowhere did I ask for or say that you should be able to use an item after HAVING STABBED someone. I have suggested being able to use an item AFTER BEING STABBED. Thus a body-of-a-fetus killer stabs someone = no drop item, slowed movement, no item can be used. The victim on the other hand = wounded with the ability to use items. Savvy?

Talking about reading a statement and not understanding a single letter.

#17 2018-04-15 14:47:24

Bob the Blob

Joriom wrote:

So - you propose more knives in villages? I'm all up for that. So now people will just give me knife without even asking! Or at least I will be able to kill the weakest link with bow to get my knife which is way earier than bow. Nice. Please do apply that in every town you see. So I can bring them to ruin even faster.

Hell yeah! If a wounded person could still use an item after being stabbed/shot I will gladly invite you to try. I think it will be a lot more challenging for you to get away with murder if you just got stabbed back by your victim.

Board footer