One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-07-16 04:10:49

Uncle Gus

Re: Setting up your personal Linux test editor/server/client

I usually just clone the whole OneLife repo, then run the script inside it from the parent folder.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1402

#77 2018-07-16 08:04:38

FounderOne

Uncle Gus wrote:

I usually just clone the whole OneLife repo, then run the script inside it from the parent folder.

That worked, thank you!

Still there is:

"After installing the required packages on your system, download the UnixSource bundle and extract it:
    tar xzf OneLife_Live4_UnixSource.tar.gz"

So I did this and got the respond that it cant find the file or folder.

Any ideas?

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#78 2018-07-16 11:39:46

wondible

FounderOne wrote:

I was on the github and couldnt find a download for the file?

Are you perhaps looking for the "Raw" option near the upper right?

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#79 2018-07-16 23:09:22

FounderOne

wondible wrote:
FounderOne wrote:

I was on the github and couldnt find a download for the file?

Are you perhaps looking for the "Raw" option near the upper right?

I just downloaded now the hole repo. Yeah I think when I went on the script itself it just said raw and something else.

#80 2018-07-16 23:12:49

FounderOne

FounderOne wrote:
Uncle Gus wrote:

That worked, thank you!

Still there is:

"After installing the required packages on your system, download the UnixSource bundle and extract it:
    tar xzf OneLife_Live4_UnixSource.tar.gz"

So I did this and got the respond that it cant find the file or folder.

Any ideas?

So UncleGus helped me out. I just didnt downloaded the UnixSource. I googled it but couldnt find anything.

So if you want to download it --> Open the link that jason sends in his Update E-Mail for downloading the new client. And there you find a download for the UnixSource!

ty Gus!

#81 2018-07-25 20:44:29

judotoss
New User

I can't find the Cache files to delete to keep the gooseberry bushes from turning into other things when u pick them. These are on the server's  files, right? do you know which folder you can find them in? i don't see where the data folders are (or which data folder you mean).   

THANKS!!! You guys are doing great work, this is my first time doing a virtual box, and i got everything working with minimal hiccups.

#82 2018-07-25 21:06:01

Uncle Gus

If the gooseberry bushes appear to turn into other objects but still function properly, then the mismatch is in the client data. The best way to deal with that is to remove all the cached data files and re-run the client (assuming you're running the client and the server on the same machine).

cd OneLifeData7
rm */cache.fcz

If you're not running the client from the git repo, then you probably have different data on the server and in your client data files.

#83 2018-07-25 23:44:40

judotoss
New User

They function properly, but wolves look like hatchets too. the server is running on a Virtual linux box. I'm connecting to the server with windows on the same computer, but using the instanced linux to run the server.  i suppose i'll delete the cache for the server and the client and just restart both.

#84 2018-07-26 00:01:49

Uncle Gus

Where is your windows client from? Is it the official client? The server might have data that isn't in the official client yet.

#85 2018-07-26 20:02:12

judotoss
New User

official client. is there an alternative client i could use just for connecting to my server?

#86 2018-07-26 20:37:57

Uncle Gus

You could compile the client from the same source as the server, and that will have the same data. You will either need to compile it for linux and run it on the same machine as the server (i.e. the VM) or compile it for Windows, which is a lot more complicated. It might pay to join #ask-for-help on the discord server https://discord.gg/pPpeXz

#87 2018-08-21 21:43:04

Uncle Gus

Ping Jason:

A suggestion. Instead of updating the dataVersionNumber just before a release, if you update the version number just AFTER a release, it will mean anyone setting up their own server will get a version mismatch when they try to connect using their official client. This would be a better result than what happens currently, which is the player is allowed to join but because they don't actually have the unreleased content yet, they get all sorts of weird behaviour and spend unnecessary time trying to figure out why.

#88 2018-08-22 02:49:36

Joriom
Website

Uncle Gus wrote:

Ping Jason:

A suggestion. Instead of updating the dataVersionNumber just before a release, if you update the version number just AFTER a release, it will mean anyone setting up their own server will get a version mismatch when they try to connect using their official client. This would be a better result than what happens currently, which is the player is allowed to join but because they don't actually have the unreleased content yet, they get all sorts of weird behaviour and spend unnecessary time trying to figure out why.

And what would happen in case where only one part of the code updates? For example binary gets updated 3-4 times but Data stays the same. Would Jason need to remember to checkout earlier version of Data before version change? Or would he update Data version even without changes?
Also - it would break my version checking script that gets binary version and data version straight from github for comparision so please dont tongue

#89 2018-08-22 05:12:52

Uncle Gus

The version would only need to be incremented after a release. So it would go release -> version number increment -> data changes -> release -> version number increment etc. If there is no data change between releases, it would be release -> version number increment -> release -> data changes -> release -> version number incerment etc.

So the version number only needs to be incremented after a release in which there was an actual change released.

#90 2018-08-22 06:36:27

Joriom
Website

Uncle Gus wrote:

The version would only need to be incremented after a release. So it would go release -> version number increment -> data changes -> release -> version number increment etc. If there is no data change between releases, it would be release -> version number increment -> release -> data changes -> release -> version number incerment etc.

So the version number only needs to be incremented after a release in which there was an actual change released.

Jason is using both OneLife and OneLifeData7 versions at the same time (higher of those two to be exact) and they only have linear progression when considered together. Yet, they still tend to update separately to the point where new versions of game are released with one of repos being updated few times while second one never changes version.

For example:
v200 - OLv200, OLD7v199
v201 - OLv201, OLD7v199
v202 - OLv201, OLD7v202
v203 - OLv203, OLD7v202

So looking at your "solution" it would become:
v200 - OLv200, OLD7v199 - repo OLv201, OLD7v199 (still 199? or 202 already? Lets assume 199 because of no changes)
v201 - OLv201, OLD7v199 - repo OLv202, OLD7v199
v202 - OLv201?, OLD7v202 - repo OLv202, OLD7v203?
But OLv202 was never released... yet. Also, how do you know OLv202 is still up to date without changes? Incease both then even though OL had no changes? Should project including both repos be compiled with OLv201 (backtrack in git - real released version) or OLv202 except there were no changes in repo itself? What should we do with OLD7 version? Give it 203 when 202 was never released but "taken" already? Or change its version to v202 and increase to OLv203 without changes yet again? It becomes more complicated and convoluted.

#91 2018-08-22 06:56:50

Uncle Gus

So, what you're saying is, we need proper versioning tongue

#92 2018-08-23 23:18:12

Found_Nemo!

Hey guys! New to the forum, but wondering about setting up my own server so that me and a few friends can experiment on our own, making our own cities, and figuring out new updates. I would like to do this the easiest and cheapest way possible.

I found Amazon Web Services and their free Gamelift service and was wondering if anyone had tried to use this to create their own server as this game is so small. If you have successfully done this... HOW?

Otherwise if that is not possible, I was wondering how I could host a server for a monthly fee via someone else's physical servers. If this is possible, (which I assume it is) how do you get the One Hour One Life code onto the rented server to play it - with different maps, the ability to change settings, and save your progress in the game.

Thanks for the help!

#93 2018-08-24 00:36:52

Uncle Gus

Linode is your cheapest option. It's what Jason uses for the official servers. They start from $5 a month and that's more than capable of handling an OHOL server. As for setting it up, the easiest way is to have someone walk you through it.

#94 2018-09-03 22:56:22

NoBox

I built a private server but every time I try and join the server crashes, in the terminal it says: Placing new Eve: Placing new Eve: trying radius 50 from camp and then the server crashes.  Any solutions to fix this problem?

#95 2018-09-05 21:46:02

Uncle Gus

When was the last time you updated the server?

#96 2018-09-10 07:36:45

mikekchar

Uncle Gus, any idea how much data a typical server sees?  The $5 per month Linode server gives you 1 Tb, which seems like it would be more than plenty, but I'm curious....  Definitely thinking about putting up a server.

#97 2018-09-10 18:54:01

Uncle Gus

That's a better question for Jason, but I'm sure it's a trivial amount.

#98 2018-11-26 18:09:04

gungorkocak

Hey all.

(Couldn't find a relevant topic in anywhere other than this one. Let me know if suits better anywhere else.)

I am hacking dev server for a while, and stuck with persisting any game progress on graceful/hard stop.
I have tried many things, dug out of .ini settings files, backup flow, some code alteration/recompilation etc. but no chance. Every time I restart dev server, any progress that I have done with my character is gone.

My first obvious question is that; Is this the expected behavior? What happens when server process crashes on production ones? All civilizations are lost and flushed? (apocalypse setting is off btw.)
My second question: Is there something I am missing and failing to understand and whether it should work out of the box?
Last one: If not, What can I do to persist game state for my server?

Tons of thanks upfront.

#99 2018-12-11 06:45:05

RIKennedy

gungorkocak wrote:

My first obvious question is that; Is this the expected behavior? What happens when server process crashes on production ones? All civilizations are lost and flushed? (apocalypse setting is off btw.)
My second question: Is there something I am missing and failing to understand and whether it should work out of the box?
Last one: If not, What can I do to persist game state for my server?

Tons of thanks upfront.

Are you using a virtual machine and running the server using linux or are you using Awbz's .bat file?
I'm using the virtual machine and I can close the server completely, restart it and all my progress is still there.

Also, I've seen quite a few people ask about having your Eve location kept when you die so you respawn at the place you died, here is how you do it:

Go to your Onelife/server/settings folder and update these files:
- forceEveLocation.ini open file and change to 0, save file
- minEveCampRespawnAge.ini open file and change to 14, save file
- maxEveStartupLocationUsage.ini open and change to 1000, save - not sure if this makes a difference

Now as long as you have a saved Eve camp (by making a home area, ie. home marker, forge etc.) on the server you will spawn at your Eve death spot

I also change my mapCallForgottenSeconds.ini to 0 - which was suggested earlier in this thread to make sure things aren't deleted

Last edited by RIKennedy (2018-12-11 06:47:12)

#100 2018-12-16 10:55:45

lionon

ElPasmo wrote:

Managed to compile all.

I'm able to launch the client that resides in the root folder. If I try to launch the cliente of OneLife/gameSource it crashes with a segmentation fault.

If I try to login into my custom server, server crashes with Segmentation fault after the following output:
Placing new Eve: trying radius of 102 from camp

Answer 9 months later smile

I just made a new server instance and had it constantly crashing, I found out it missed the symlinks to OneLifeData7.

I don't know what procudure I did to had them made by some tool the first time, I added them manually and now the new instance works as well.

server$ ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/categories/
server$ ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/objects
server$ ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/transitions/

Board footer