One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 10:31:27

Bob the Blob

First water collecting priority

So I have been told two different ways to start up a new village.

Some say to build a fire, snares, catch some bunnies and go straight on making water pouches to collect that vital water for your initial farm. Personally I think this is much more efficient in the longer term of setting up a new home but it takes much longer to start since you have to potentially wait for fruiting milkweed to make snares and families to catch them bunnies.

Some say build a kiln, fire, make some bowls and off you go doing single runs of water over and over again. This is how I've been going about my start in a new place and it seems to be working for me but it's inefficient as you clearly can only fill a bowl at a time.

I was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts on this are. What do you prioritise when starting up a new home and what do you expect from you first children?  I have seen so many new settlements fail because new babies come in and start doing the most random stuff that is not really needed until you are more established.

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

#2 2018-04-13 11:01:42

Aurora Aurora

Re: First water collecting priority

I mean I always settle at a place with alot of milkweed so getting pouches will be a breeze. And to be honest if i see a kid being really stupid lll feed it to the snakes

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-04-13 11:24:06

Telafiesta

atm as an eve  prioritize
1. basket
2. locate area with berries desert and water
3. set home get carrot farm going, if gen 2 good they will scout and help u forge
this is meta

#4 2018-04-13 11:31:37

ErnestPazera

Ex nihilo, my general strategy:

1. Sharpened rock and basket asap.
2. Find a nice berry and milkweed area and subsist on berries while gathering the twelve stalks necessary for rabbit processing. The basket comes in handy.
3. First item: snare and begin using it as soon as you have it
4. Second item: hatchet
5. Last item: firebow
6. Somewhere between steps 3-5 I'll have more milkweed and plenty of furs for making pouches or clothes once I get my fire.
7. I prioritize backpack above other fur items.
8. If I do farm, it is short term. I raise enough carrots to fill up my backpack, and then I move on with my firebow, snare, and hatchet in my basket to another area, as I am nomadic.

My play style has changed from "make a farm" to "temporary hunting camp". I have little interest in cities paved with planks. If I wanted a to do a job, I wouldn't be playing a game.

Generally, though, whatever children I have tend to want to make a farm for some reason, so I usually move on as soon as I am too old to have more children.

#5 2018-04-13 14:11:23

Potjeh

Bob the Blob wrote:

Some say build a kiln, fire, make some bowls and off you go doing single runs of water over and over again. This is how I've been going about my start in a new place and it seems to be working for me but it's inefficient as you clearly can only fill a bowl at a time.

This isn't an issue if your fields are right next to a cluster of ponds, as they should be. So yeah, I prefer kiln over snare, mainly because rabbits will most likely not have babies when you need them so you'll have to permanently destroy some rabbit holes to make pouches. And early thread IMO is better spent on backpacks or second snare than on pouches.

#6 2018-04-13 14:38:52

Bob the Blob

ErnestPazera wrote:

Ex nihilo, my general strategy:

My play style has changed from "make a farm" to "temporary hunting camp". I have little interest in cities paved with planks. If I wanted a to do a job, I wouldn't be playing a game.

Generally, though, whatever children I have tend to want to make a farm for some reason, so I usually move on as soon as I am too old to have more children.

I've done the nomadic thing with a basket and sharp stone only. Lived until 60 running around looking for a village.

Your way sounds interesting, I might give it a go sometime.

#7 2018-04-13 14:42:02

Bob the Blob

Potjeh wrote:
Bob the Blob wrote:

This isn't an issue if your fields are right next to a cluster of ponds, as they should be. So yeah, I prefer kiln over snare, mainly because rabbits will most likely not have babies when you need them so you'll have to permanently destroy some rabbit holes to make pouches. And early thread IMO is better spent on backpacks or second snare than on pouches.

Suppose it really depends on your location as to what will work best. I've found that I had to adapt to where I get spawned as an Eve but mostly the kiln/clay bowl method works for me. Had the most success with that anyway as opposed to doing the pouches. Plus no need to destroy rabbit holes as they generally have babies by the time I get around to snaring the little critters.

#8 2018-04-13 15:52:20

fragilityh14

I usually go the pouch route but it depends on resources, if clay and reeds are right there and milkweed isn't plentiful it's the way to go. If I'm an even populating a new area I basically run around with babies picking fruiting milkweed and living off the berries to the edge of the space.

the thing is ANY farming massively reduces food pressure on the wild berries, as long as you keep the carrots going. One clay bowl is definitely enough to keep you alive as you move forward. Also once you have a kiln and fire going pies are not too hard to make.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2018-04-14 01:26:37

pein

just find water ponds near a decent savannah and an okay green biome. small patch of desert is a bonus

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-04-14 02:59:53

Lily

Milkweed is fairly easy to find, so I don't consider having to wait for them to be a factor in my decision. Also you need to start in an area near milkweed, because you need a lot of it regardless of which path you go. Personally I like to go rabbits first, because I also want to get clothing. You need clothing. You can get an early reed skirt without getting rabbits, but that doesn't really cut it.

That said, if you are in an area really suited for a kiln, it isn't a horrible choice.

Board footer