One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-18 13:46:16

pierce

Troll Problem and Curses

I'm sure it's been addressed in the forums before but the game tend to have a problem with transphobic and racist people every twenty or so lives I have and I can only curse once per life. Obviously I know I am playing a game that's focused around continuing your bloodline and what not but when your kid says a slur it kinda makes you want to drop them in front of bear cave or kill someone that's acting as a harmful stereotype because the gene score doesn't matter all much to me. I mean, there's been really nice, teary-eyed moments but then to get people say slurs that really ruins the gameplay. Yeah, I know they're trolls but they're exhausting. I feel like we need more curses per life just because of them.

#2 2022-05-18 14:04:51

selalov734

Re: Troll Problem and Curses

don't be gay

#3 2022-05-18 14:11:09

Laggy

They have the freedom to talk how they want.

Who are you to say, who deserves death?

Maybe they think you should die for being a brain dead mother talking about her babies?

Guess your a person who thinks we should censor people IRL?

#4 2022-05-18 20:02:11

Léonard

XEsmYoL.png

#5 2022-05-19 02:23:13

Wood

Laggy wrote:

Maybe they think you should die for being a brain dead mother talking about her babies?

I actually agree with you on most of this. Cursing people for saying a swear and then trying to murder them is pretty fucking dumb. If these kinds of people are exhausting then don't waste energy on them.

I think you'd both benefit from learning to let shit go.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#6 2022-05-19 11:08:05

pierce

Laggy wrote:

Freedom of Speech ≠ Freedom of Consequences

Laggy wrote:

Their sole caretaker. Freedom of Speech protects you from the government, not me.

Laggy wrote:

Maybe, but I really don't really care. They can cry all they want, but when you come out the womb saying slurs I automatic assume you have ill intentions.

Laggy wrote:

At first I was gonna say No because that's the honest answer but saying Yes is funnier. Bark like a dog, you're below me. Our conversation ends here.

Wood wrote:

Cursing people for saying a swear.

I said slur. Slurs and swears aren't the same. I don't give a fuck if someone says "suck my big ass balls" or whatever in reply of someone trying to take over the kitchen. I've swore in game, most people have.

Wood wrote:

I mean yeah, it's just a game but it's totally not like people to actively those words outside the game and even... outside the internet. To hurt others! No way they'd do that! Sarcasm aside, people in general need know you can't just say slurs and get away with it all the damn time because not everyone is going to put up with it.

Usually the ones who say them haven't got floored yet because they think they can get away with anything because they're all Freedom of Speech until Consequences show up.

selalov734 wrote:

don't be gay

Too late.

#7 2022-05-19 11:53:56

Wood

Yeah but killing them isn't going to put them in their place. They say it because they want people to get mad and curse them. If you've spent 20 minutes trying to kill them, They have won. They won't be learning any life lessons and will probably be back to shooting out of peoples crouches spewing the gamer word. The only way they will get their comeuppance is mass cursing, let them grow up. More people will hate them and curse them instead of it being just you.

I'm gonna leave the rest to laggy, if anyone here deserves to be floored it's him.

Last edited by Wood (2022-05-19 12:03:14)

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#8 2022-05-19 14:39:23

LilyFox

Maybe I've just been lucky but I honestly haven't noticed a lot of people using slurs in the game, especially while they are still babies? The worst that ever happened to me was getting kids who ended up being griefers. There's a lot of problems with the game but from my experience, most people generally try to be nice to each other. Idk which kind of situations you are talking about, maybe you just got really unlucky with your kids, but if you say it happens “once every twenty lives or so”, the curse system should be enough to purge these people from your future lives, no?

Also what do you mean by “acting as a harmful stereotype”? Because this is a game that literally relies on racial stereotypes for certain game mechanics, so it's not like you can blame people for expecting a certain race to get them resources etc.

#9 2022-05-19 20:11:25

Eve Troll

I mean they said they run into them every 20 lives or so. Running into a biggot every 20 hours in game isnt that big of a deal. The curse system doesnt really work and is heavily abused. Giving people more tokens will just result in more curses. Curses that will be given for petty things since the tokens will be cheap and you wont have to worry about saving them for people who truly deserve it.

#10 2022-05-20 12:51:43

Laggy

I guess after playing this game for 3 years you hear everything.

People say these things to get under your skin.

I always just ignore them, and if your baby is saying it, yeet them by the fire and let other people hear.

#11 2022-05-25 12:21:15

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Good questions Laggy.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2022-05-25 12:43:22

Spoonwood

pierce wrote:
Laggy wrote:

Freedom of Speech ≠ Freedom of Consequences

Freedom of speech does mean freedom of consequences, in the form of freedom of punishment from the authority with the ability to punish.

pierce wrote:
Laggy wrote:

Their sole caretaker. Freedom of Speech protects you from the government, not me.

When you have a child in OHOL, you are their government.  You are the one who makes rules for them, at least until they can feed their self.  So, if the child had freedom of speech, he/she would not get penalized by you for their speech.

pierce wrote:
Laggy wrote:

At first I was gonna say No because that's the honest answer but saying Yes is funnier. Bark like a dog, you're below me. Our conversation ends here.

So you don't want people censored in real life for words, but you want them censored in a game for words?

pierce wrote:
Wood wrote:

I mean yeah, it's just a game but it's totally not like people to actively those words outside the game and even... outside the internet. To hurt others! No way they'd do that! Sarcasm aside, people in general need know you can't just say slurs and get away with it all the damn time because not everyone is going to put up with it.

Those people can find some way that they can get away with such.  It's only a matter of them finding the right situation.  Such slurs aren't going to get banned from the chatbox.  At least, such censorship would be the censorship of ideas, which I don't think Mr. Rohrer ever has liked.  Such a person could go on a low population server and play as Eve.  Such a person could get a child sometime, and then speak those slurs to others.  Since such a person would then be the mother, they would have the power and "get away with it".

pierce wrote:

Usually the ones who say them haven't got floored yet because they think they can get away with anything because they're all Freedom of Speech until Consequences show up.

"Got floored yet".  That sounds very telling.  What did you say up top "want to murder them" or something like that?  Look, you said that such people were talking words.  That's it.  WORDS!  Nothing more, nothing less.  And you talk about actions which in the real world would be physically harmful or deadly as justified in game.

It thus seems likely enough to me that you are (more like) the violent party looking for a scapegoat, or the person who escalates talking into fighting.  You aren't the Chris Rock making a joke that someone else dislikes.  You are more like the Will Smith who hears the joke (and laughs by the way), and then escalates the situation into illegal physical violence.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2022-05-25 20:51:44

Léonard

Spoonwood wrote:
pierce wrote:

"Got floored yet".  That sounds very telling.  What did you say up top "want to murder them" or something like that?  Look, you said that such people were talking words.  That's it.  WORDS!  Nothing more, nothing less.  And you talk about actions which in the real world would be physically harmful or deadly as justified in game.

It thus seems likely enough to me that you are (more like) the violent party looking for a scapegoat, or the person who escalates talking into fighting.  You aren't the Chris Rock making a joke that someone else dislikes.  You are more like the Will Smith who hears the joke (and laughs by the way), and then escalates the situation into illegal physical violence.

Oh man, when Spoonwood of all people exposes your line of thinking for what it really is in such a concise manner like that you have to admit you're just on the wrong side of the fence on this one..

Last edited by Léonard (2022-05-25 20:52:16)

#14 2022-06-07 09:31:12

pein

turn it into a gen z snowflake game even more.

when idiots could be killed the game was way better. honestly if you suck at it you deserve to be harassed. if you can't even reflect on mistakes or get butthurt by legit claims then the problem is you. if you can't ignore bullshit the problem is with you.
being offended doesn't mean you are right
everything is your fault, either you allow it or attract it in your life.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2022-06-27 07:15:09

Haxwell Mouse

You are offended because your personal symbolic order for the world is confronted with the real order of how things are, and you wish to restore "order", this is perfectly normal.  Every war, assassination, lynching, rape, arrest, fraud, conspiracy theory, lawsuit, bribery, terrorism, election, usurpation, banhammer, ban evasion, and IRC skid with a slipnewk ever; were a proof of two or more differing symbolic orders.  Right/wrong is the effect of the proofing, not the cause.
I'm not saying not to have opinions and enforce them.  I'm especially not saying to agree with the majority bandwagons.  I'm just saying it's good to understand YOUR right is not THE right, so don't take it personally if people don't have the moral compass or awareness to act without a contrived motivation.  Might not be worth it, but that's up to you.

"the proof is in the pudding"  Will Smith didn't go to jail or anything as far as I'm aware, so yes in fact he did have the right to use violence, no matter how any of us feels about that.

Last edited by Haxwell Mouse (2022-06-27 07:29:51)

#16 2022-06-27 07:28:36

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

This thread is cringe. Fucking yikes.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#17 2022-06-27 10:31:12

Bellium

I would say shit like this gives good reason for Jason to never come back, but honestly this community deserves his shitty dev systems lmao.

Board footer